View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Saturday 2nd Nov 2013 - USAS BB/B/C Meet in Rockwall Tx

by , November 2nd, 2013 at 09:27 PM (After a long rest)
    I woke up feeling pretty good this morning. I ran and grabbed chick-fil-a breakfast for everyone and ate breakfast watching the early English Premier League game. Half my family(the black sheep) support Chelsea(it pains me to even write the name) and the other half(the cool side) support Arsenal. It was great to watch Newcastle beat Chelsea while enjoying my breakfast burrito.

My daughter and I headed to the pool 30 minutes early. We went to walk onto the pool deck where I was stopped and asked if I was officiating and when I said no they said no parents were aloud on deck. I explained I was a swimmer and the woman laughed but did eventually let me pass.

We did a pretty crowded warmup as follows:

500swim
    4x4x50 IM order swum kick, drill, pull, swim
    4x50 build
    100 easy

My first swim was not until about half way through the meet which sucked, but finally I got to swim and I actually did not have much rest between my swims.

50 Free - 22.77
    100 Back - 58.31
    200 Free - 1.50.96
    500 Free - 5.07.16

I was pleased with everything except the 500. My splits were all over the place which was very disappointing. I was very pleased with the 50 free and 100 back. I think I would have been at least a second or more faster on the back if I had not jammed my turns. This was as quick as my rested and shaved time from spring nationals, with really crappy turns so there is plenty of room for improvement. The 200 felt good, but I hoped to go under 1.50. My splits were pretty good on the 200 and I felt strong throughout.

Overall I am pleased with the meet so far and got 4 A cuts today which will enable me to go up a level where I will get some strong competition. It was interesting today being in the first heat with NT's. I lapped most swimmers in my heat in the 200, and lapped everyone 2-3 times on the 500 in my heat. I think the kids were quite intimidated by the old dude and I did not hear any negative comments from any parents, in fact quite the opposite with many of the parents on deck congratulating me and thanking me for swimming which was very nice.

Updated November 3rd, 2013 at 08:09 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  2. Saturday, Nov. 2

by , November 2nd, 2013 at 05:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 scull & drills
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Main sets:

8 x 25 burst SDK + cruise
    -- 4 from push, 4 from blocks
    100 EZ

4 x through, 1 each stroke
    1 x 50 @ 100 pace @ 1:00
    2 x 25 fast kick @ :30
    1 x 100 EZ @ 3:00

200 EZ

Total: 2450

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was dead after just one of the fast 50s @ 100 pace and knew a real workout wasn't happening today. I slogged through the set and decided to get out and try tomorrow. I think I was just weary from yesterday's drylands (the first real session in many months) and allergies. I will try again tomorrow. Hoping to meet up with Jim and Mark at the Sewickley Y.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. a quick one at the Y in 86 degree water

by , November 2nd, 2013 at 05:06 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    did fairly well today even without pushing hard.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    10x50@1:00 breast pull w/zoomers
    500 breast kick
    5x100@1:45 free w/strapless paddles & bouy held 1:25's
    500 free kick w/zoomers PUSHED IT!
    5x100@:15RI drills w/snorkel

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Saturday 11/2/13

Saturday 11/2

AM only SCY

"Post-wedding celebration swim"

8x75 @ 1:15 AE FR
    6x175 @ 3:00 swim w/ snorkel 1st/last 25 scull

4x
    2x50 @ :55/50/45/40 (by RD) FR kick w/ board
    100 @ 1:30 A.R.

150 EZ

3x
    200 @ 3:00 AE
    2x225 @ 3:00
    1 - FAST (2:14, 2:14, 2:13)
    1 - A.R.

6x150 @ :10 rest FR w/ snorkel
    2 - pull w/ buoy only
    2 - pull w/ buoy + paddles
    2 - swim w/ paddles

Total: 5450

So I got home (as in back to my parents house) around 1:00 am this morning. Managed to get up and make it to my old club's practice but arrived about 7 minutes late and missed the first 600 before the 75s. Took a while to get warmed up and swim out yesterday's festivities, but I was able to really get going on the 225s. I was flipping at 1:58 at the 200 on all three, and was feeling comfortable enough to hold 2:12-2:15 on the 200s aerobic. It's rough trying to practice after a long night out partying, but it really helps me get myself in order and not loaf around all morning feeling sick!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013 11:00-12:15pm

by , November 2nd, 2013 at 04:19 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Today's swim was with my dentist, soon to be 65 year old Dr. Davis. As we were warming up, I suggested we do a birthday set for him, something at least realistic, 65x50s @ :45. He was up for it, though he used short fins like he usually does on his long mainly repetitive sets (i.e 30x100s, 40x75s, etc).

Warmup:

600 Free
    (600/600)

Birthday Main Set:

65 x 50 Free @ :45
    (3250/3850)
    I started out holding :35s, and slowly bounced around up to about :39/:40 for a bit in the middle. The last 15 though, I came back down to :35 and under (when we were circle swimming).
    We swam side by side, until around #50, when a younger girl (about 25) came up to ask if we could all circle swim. The pool was pretty crowded at this point, and I could tell by looking at her that she'd have no problem keeping our pace on the set. During a quick :05 break between 50, I explained what we were doing, and she had no problem with that. Found out later she was a former swimmer at UCLA and then Univ of Washington...who was over in Wenatchee visiting her family and came in for a swim.
    It was a good swim, and the motivation of not getting beat by a 65 year old kept me going. Almost the same motivation we men get at meets when racing against a woman.

150 EZ and out

---------------------
    4000 Yards

Two more weeks till my next meet in Moscow, Idaho. I'm also working straight through for the next two weeks without a day off (maybe). The meet is a Trifecta Challenge meet, trying to get people to swim the 50, 100, and 200 of any stroke, and then be rewarded with some unknown thing after the meet. There's also the butterfly + Brute Squad challenge being offered, and that's what I signed up for. So I'll be swimming:
    1650 Free, 400 IM, 100 Fly, 200 Fly, 50 Fly in that order. I'm sure I'll be swimming a couple relays as well. At least I got my wife convinced to come along with the kids to this meet, so I can have a designated driver for the way home.
  6. 11|02|13 fit test and SCM

by , November 2nd, 2013 at 02:41 PM (Blog)
    Had my annual fit test for weekend warrior stuff this am, the test is as such:

Waist measurment (max points 34"): 30"
    1 min pushups (max points 44): did 47 in 40 seconds
    1 min situps (max points 50): did 52 in 50 seconds
    1.5 mile run (max points 9:58): I don't think so - an easy 12:22

This has been my slowest run in years, but it was enough to score a 94.7 overall which means I don't have to test again for 12 months (instead of 6 months).

I only did what I needed (plus a couple extra) for the strength portion, those are easy to max out. For the run, I could have easily ran a minute or so faster, but to get max points would require a run in under 10 minutes which I'm certain I cannot do. That would require specific training and preparation, chiefly of a slow-moving distance kind, with a slow swimming side effect. Since the only run training I've been doing all year was occasional well-rested 50 and 100m sprints (except for a 30 min POW run last month), I asked myself why risk potential injury running as fast as I can for 1.5 mi just to score a 98 when I can have an enjoyable run and make 95 points? I hate running anyway.

Had 60 minutes to spare managing a trip to the SCM pool:

15 x 50 on 2:00 fr-fr-dr/br order
    • fast breakout/4 strokes for the fr's.

5 x 50 DFS fr on normal breathing
    • fast breakout/4 strokes from both the dive and turn, remaining swim filler was easy

25 DFS FK AFAP

Finishing up the kitchen project, still need to do trim and touch-ups, replace electrical outlets/switches, then find and hang blinds. With this and all of the stuff I've been doing lately I've gotten out of focus with my swimming, but I think I still have some speed to spare (if I can keep my arm from falling off lol). Wow two meets coming up SCM and SCY, I need to get my stuff in order!

Ailments report: left shoulder loose, popping, a little warm, but it's pulling through. Hopefully it will slowly tighten up with theraputic TLC
    Categories
    Uncategorized