View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout 5/2/17

by , May 1st, 2017 at 03:21 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    SCY

Warm up
    2 x 150 2:30
    3 x 100 1:45
    4 x 75 1:30 IM/stroke

Kick set
    4 x 50 1:15
    6 x 25 :45 fast

Main set
    1 x 400 6:00 [fins optional]
    4 x 100 2:00 [choice 50fast/50easy]

Blocks race pace set
    2 x 50 3:00 choice build to race pace
    3 x 50 4:00 choice race pace

Warm down
    4 x 50 1:00

Total taper: 2500

Optional set
    16 x 50 1:00 [500 or 1000 pace]
    -OR-
    2 x 200 3:00 long & strong
    2 x 200 2:40 neg split
    2 x 200 2:30 desc
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Budapest Week 1 - Monday

by , May 1st, 2017 at 09:41 AM (After a long rest)
    Today marks the start of my focus on Budapest. I know it's a long way out but I wrote my season plan with Budapest as the light at the end of the tunnel. I am hoping to do 2 LCM meets as part of my build up and also to gradually increase both distance and intensity. The kids I am training are heading to Colorado for a 10 day altitude camp after 4th July and it's my hope to go on this trip. When I was in college we did an OTC trip and I have wanted to try altitude training as a master. I don't know yet how it's going to work out with me coaching and then trying to find time to swim myself. I plan on adding about 2k to my weekly distance each week until the altitude camp and then come down after the camp. I am going to train as if I am going to be competitive in Budapest but will back off if my body is not ready. I am carrying a shoulder injury that just won't go away which is not great but the elbow I had surgery on in December is doing awesome.

Pool Setup LCM
    Warm up
    400 Free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on 1min

main sets
    6x50 kick on 1min
    3x(1x50 at 400 Pace on 1min, 1x50 easy,
    2x50 at 400 Pace on 1min, 1x50 easy,
    3x50 at 400 Pace on 1min, 1x50 easy
    200 easy)
    3x200 Pull on 3mins

warm down
    6x50 working on DPS

I was able to hold :33 to my feet on the 50s. I wish I could say these were easy or even comfortabl but they were neither. I plan on doing this set weekly throughout the training for Budapest and will hopefully be able to get down to a tighter interval and hold pace.

Off to NYC with work for the day tomorrow!!! I have a terrible carbon footprint.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Remember to Breathe (May-June 2017)

by , May 1st, 2017 at 01:00 AM (SWIMMER Editorials)
    It seems obvious, really. As mammals, we shouldn’t need this reminder.

But whether we regard human swimmers as interlopers in a hostile environment without the necessary anatomy to breathe underwater or lost merfolk returning to our home (who else dreams of having gills implanted as soon as biotechnology can do it?), sometimes we need to hear it: remember to breathe.

This reminder could come from your coach, who notices that you flag a bit on the second length of your 50 freestyle because you’re racing the swimmer in the next lane and you just put your head down and go. Or it could be that you’ve forgotten to exhale underwater and when you turn to inhale, you don’t get enough air in because you’re still holding some from the last breath. Even the most experienced swimmers need this reminder.

Or it could be your lanemate reminding you, when you’ve missed practice for days on end because life is getting in the way of your swimming: Remember to breathe.

This autonomic reflex, in which we fill our lungs with air and send oxygen to our blood, feeds all the tissues in our bodies. It also removes carbon dioxide and other waste products.

When we’re anxious, afraid, or feeling threatened, our breathing is shallow and quick. Under stress, our brains want us to breathe quickly so we can fight or flee.

During times when collective anxiety is palpable and it’s hard to put down the flashing electronic squirrel box—all the crazy news we can chase—we’re finding out how important it is: Remember to breathe.

Respect to all the yoga enthusiasts and grounded swimming peeps out there. You know those teammates—always a sunny smile and bright hello—even at 5:26 a.m. If you’re a driven Type A who needs coffee more than air to be civil at that hour, you might brush off their gentle reminders to breathe.

Until that day when you can’t breathe and you realize the forced deep breathing from swimming a set of descending 200s or a 3-mile rough-water swim against the current is the only thing that’s kept you from losing it at the office. Or at home.

Go to swim practice. Remember to breathe.

Not only will it get you through the tough times, it will make you smarter, as we learn in “Workout for the Brain” (Healthy Swimmer, page 14), where Jim Thornton explores how aerobic exercise improves our brains.

And for merfolk longing to trade the pressures of everyday life for the comforting pressure of the deep, Elaine K. Howley shares the fascinating history of the Weeki Wachee Mermaids—a post-WWII Central Florida sensation that’s making a comeback (Splashback, page 48).

Updated May 14th, 2017 at 08:52 PM by Editor

Tags: breathing, stress
    Categories
    Staff Blogs