Blog Comments

"LCM kicking is the pits"
    You will get no argument from me on that matter!
    I was not very efficient with my time. I was at the LRRC for 90 minutes and only got 3100 done, because I spent a lot of time chatting with the other swimmers who came and went.
    This is one of the privileges of masters swimming and is not a bad thing if not taken to excess.
    Nothing planned Tim. I might do a longer swim on my own at a nearby reservoir (4 or 5 miles). And there's a new OW swim in NH that I might squeeze in if I can get the day off from work. Still trying to maintain
    Sounds like a great, "mini-meet," for you, especially that 100 free!

Are you doing any big o/w events this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    First you can't find your keys, then your coach doesn't show up. Methinks a higher power is trying to tell you something about your comeback campaign.
    This meet was kind of a last-minute decision anyway, so it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it was annoying to drive 25 minutes out and back for nothing! I'm a bit nervous about racing long course, short course appears to have become my jam at the moment.
    First you can't find your keys, then your coach doesn't show up. Methinks a higher power is trying to tell you something about your comeback campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    I gotcha. I've had a couple groin tweaks since I came back - nothing lingering though thankfully. I also don't swim a whole ton of breaststroke in practice, when I do breaststroke it's shorter race pace type stuff. My aerobic work is freestyle, backstroke and kick. The other variable is I probably don't have nearly the breaststroke kick mileage you do - I was an IMer through college but my other events were backstroke so I trained more of that.
    Agree on the breaststroke mileage point. I think I have been lucky with all the swimming I have done that my body is still in great shape. No serious joint issues. No surgeries to fix overworked appendages. However the one area that is not entirely the case is breaststroke, and I think my years and years of training it, especially the amount I did in college, has finally caught up to me to a degree. For me, racing breaststroke is a microcosm of racing swimming in general for me. If I canít train the way I want to/need to, itís not worth me trying to race in meets. If I canít train breaststroke (at the very least to keep my cadence and feel for the stroke), itís not worth me trying to race it in meets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Well once I killed the white whale that was breaking 1:00 SCY, I sort of accomplished everything I wanted to with breaststroke. That and my groin, despite constantly rehabbing it and strengthening it, just canít handle any sort of breaststroke training. Also leaves my knees sore, and my ice maker canít keep up wth having to ice both shoulders AND knees after a workout!

If you look back, I did the 100 back in early June, went 1:19. First LCM 100 BR in over 5 years. But even doing MAYBE 400-600 meters of breaststroke each day the week following caused my groin to almost pull when warming up the following week for another 100 BR. Iím just going to have to take it REALLY SLOW with my breaststroke and see how it goes.
    I gotcha. I've had a couple groin tweaks since I came back - nothing lingering though thankfully. I also don't swim a whole ton of breaststroke in practice, when I do breaststroke it's shorter race pace type stuff. My aerobic work is freestyle, backstroke and kick. The other variable is I probably don't have nearly the breaststroke kick mileage you do - I was an IMer through college but my other events were backstroke so I trained more of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    What happened to you doing breaststroke events? I could have sworn you were a breaststroker the summer I was down in Little Rock. Good swims this weekend regardless!
    Well once I killed the white whale that was breaking 1:00 SCY, I sort of accomplished everything I wanted to with breaststroke. That and my groin, despite constantly rehabbing it and strengthening it, just canít handle any sort of breaststroke training. Also leaves my knees sore, and my ice maker canít keep up wth having to ice both shoulders AND knees after a workout!

If you look back, I did the 100 back in early June, went 1:19. First LCM 100 BR in over 5 years. But even doing MAYBE 400-600 meters of breaststroke each day the week following caused my groin to almost pull when warming up the following week for another 100 BR. Iím just going to have to take it REALLY SLOW with my breaststroke and see how it goes.
    What happened to you doing breaststroke events? I could have sworn you were a breaststroker the summer I was down in Little Rock. Good swims this weekend regardless!