View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Monday 04222019

by , April 22nd, 2019 at 06:09 PM (aztimm's training blog)
    Monday AM solo swim @ Sendero Springs (SCY)

thought the pool water temp was chilly...asked the guards after. it was 75F

1050 w/u various (I didn't mean to do that much, lost track)

100 kick w/board + fins
    4 x 125 (25 drill/25 free/25 stroke/25 free/25 drill), w/fins
    100 kick w/board + fins
    250 easy swim w/fins
    100 kick w/board + fins

100 easy swim

two rounds of:
    * 25 easy free @ :30
    * 25 fast free @ :30
    * 25 easy free @ :30
    * 25 fast breast @ :30

2 x 100 swim w/Agility paddles

200 w/d

TTL: 2900 yards

wow, this is probably the shortest swim workout I've done in ages, that wasn't just a stretch-out at the gym (some of those are just 4-500).

my 25s fast were actually fast. if my Apple Watch is to believed...I did the 2nd 25 breast in :13.

I generally hate tapering. I get irritable and antsy. But this time is different--I've been sleeping more, and I don't seem to mind it. I feel like my body needed a break. After I did a few weeks of crazy distances (plus lifting, treadmill, etc), maybe it was good to pull back.

I fly to AZ early tomorrow. there's a fun swim at Saguaro that I'm planning to get to.

Wednesday is my game day. 7:30am briefing at Saguaro, and they expect everyone to be done in 5 hours. when I did Swim to the Moon I had no idea how long a 10k would take (I predicted 4+ hours), and I was shocked when I finished in about 3. planning for the worst, but hoping for the best this week.
    After Wednesday, well I'm hoping its all just gravy. I could always use the excuse before (and after) the 1000, "I just swam 10 miles yesterday"
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Monday 4/22/19

​AM SCY Solo @ LRRC
    PM LCM w/ Trip @ LRRC (pool temp: 65-ish, air temp: 82)

AM Swim:

2x300 @ 3:55
    2x300 @ 3:45
    2x300 @ 3:35

2x
    3x100 FR kick w/ BD
    RD1 @ 1:50
    RD2 @ 1:45
    200 @ 3:30 2nd/4th 50 2 BREATHS MAX! pull w/ paddles

200 EZ

Total: 3000

PM Swim:

600 swim w/ fins + SNKL
    200 kick H.A.S. 25 FR/25 FL w/ fins + SNKL

10x200 @ 3:00
    4 - pull w/ paddles + SNKL
    3 - swim 12.5M UW kick off every wall
    3 - swim D1-3 (2:43, 2:36, 2:27)

200 EZ

Total: 3000

SHOUT OUT: Trip, for caving to peer pressure and swimming in the LCM pool today. He braved the cold, and it was worth it. First two people in the LCM pool for this year!!

Updated April 22nd, 2019 at 09:07 PM by Calvin S

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Another Update!

by , April 22nd, 2019 at 09:30 AM (Swimming Through Jello)
    So... after much gnashing of teeth and laying in a fetal position early last week, I went to the emergency room. Turns out I had pancreatitis as a reaction to one of my UC meds. I got four days in the hospital with an IV drip, a day and a half which was NPO, a day and a half clear liquid diet and now onto low fat. But I'm out, and I feel a little bit more like myself. I'm down at least 20 pounds and it's not in great places - I've lost most of the mass on my shoulders and arms and my pants don't fit. So it's going to be a process to get back.

Plan is to start getting back in the water with a few 1000s or so this week, and also do some really, really light weightlifting the other days to start building my strength and energy back up. Eat as much as I can tolerate, not too fast but the dietician told me to not be shy about eating because of the weight loss.

I did get some good news over the week. The club team my Masters team is attached to had their yearly awards ceremony, and apparently they gave me a mentorship award for how I was with the kids at and leading up to Sectionals this winter. That was really good to hear, and I hope I can get back to the point where I can be a good example again. Something to work toward. Also had some other good news recently but not allowed to share that just yet :P
    Categories
    Uncategorized