View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Saturday 5/18/19

AM LCM Solo @ LRRC "Trying to get a feel for the water again"
    PM LCM @ UALR "End of School Year Invitational" Day #2

So all my travels brings me finally to today! After flight delays put me back in Little Rock close to 10:00 last night, and with plans to race Saturday afternoon, I needed to hit the water early to loosen up, so I was up at 6:30 this morning for a wake up swim.

AM Swim:

4x w/ SNKL
    75 swim
    50 FR kick in S-line
    25 scull

12x50 kick w/ BD
    3 @ 1:05 FR
    3 @ 1:10 BR

4x100 @ 1:20
    1:20 REST
    3x100 @ 1:20
    2x100 @ 1:20
    100 @ 1:20

100 EZ

Total: 2300

PM Swim:

400 swim
    6x50 @ :10 rest
    1 - fist drill
    1 - B&A drill
    1 - swim

400 FR - 4:43.70 (1:06.80/1:11.62/1:13.02/1:12.26) - Can't be disappointed with this swim. Given the week off and feeling under the weather still. I lost my walls on the last 150 meters, but I am definitely glad I swam this morning. I already felt myself catching the water better this afternoon than I was this morning. I was only 3.8 seconds off my lifetime best from last summer.

150 EZ

Total: 1250
  2. Tuesday 5/14/19, Wednesday 5/15/19 (Disney Adventures)

Tuesday 5/14 "Vacation Day #4"

AM Open Water w/ wife, sister-in-law, and (future) brother-in-law @ off the coast of Nassau, The Bahamas

Going to approximate the distance here. After docking in the morning in Nassau, we took a catamaran out to open water off the coast of Athol Island for some snorkeling. Spent about 50 minutes in the water. Lots of colorful fish all over the place. Crystal clear water with visibility down to the sea floor (about 12-14 feet).

Due to the timing of the snorkeling expedition, and needing to retrieve my kids to try and get them to nap in the afternoon, I did not have a chance to head into downtown Nassau and try swimming at the LCM pool there.

Total: ~1000 meters

Wednesday 5/15 "Vacation Day #5"

AM Open Water Solo @ Castaway Cay, The Bahamas

My wife and I decided to run the Castaway Cay 5k race. Mostly so we could debark the ship 30 minutes ahead of everyone else! Would highly recommend anyone wanting to maximize time on the beach/island and shorten wait time in lines to do this. They don't really care if you run/jog/walk 50 steps around the first bend, then turn around and run/jog/walk back and collect your finisher's medal. Worth it to get out ahead of the crowds. Anyways, after the race (I finished in a respectable 25:30...I say "respectable" because I had not run or run a race in almost a year, and it was VERY hot and humid...flat course but NOT ideal weather conditions) I headed to the beach to get a swim in.

For those of you who might read this, and want to be able to swim while on a Disney cruise, this is the place to get a long swim in. I only had time for a short 25 minute cool down swim post race, and got 1200 meters in before I had to call it quits. The beach area has ropes dividing the areas. The area closest to the beach is for waders, "noodlers" :P, and for us swimmers. You cannot go into the next zone without a snorkeling vest (to designate you as so to the lifeguards). I swam in a straight line from the beach out to the farthest point where the lifeguard stand was, then did a slight turn and headed back to the beach on the opposite end from where I started. The lane rope is handy here for swimming straight! Google Mapped the distance at ~ 300 meters one way. I swam down, took a minute break, then swam back, then exited to get some water (the sea water was killing me). I then entered the water and repeated that all again. I could have kept going as long as I wanted if I had time. I was not bothered. It might seem boring, but there was some cool wildlife under the waves to look at, including a giant stingray that went right underneath me (if he had caught me a half second earlier or later, my underwater recovery would have grazed him), so that broke up the monotony. Also, the beach is sheltered from most of the tide/waves, so the swimming is really only as rough as the size of the crowds in the area you plan to swim! I estimate the water depth at about 5 feet for most of the arc of my path, only getting shallow as i got very close to the beach!

Total: 1200 meters

A SIDE NOTE ON CRUISE SHIP POOLS:

Every cruise is, I am sure, a little different. I am sure the set up and layout of each of the four Disney Cruise ships is different as well. My family was on Dream. On this boat, there are no pools, ZERO, that are swim-able. The "Mickey" pool and "Donald" pool are both too shallow. Even taking several forumites' suggestions about attaching a stretch cord and swimming in place would be useless here. The water is just too shallow. So anyone going on a Disney Cruise, any of your swimming is going to have to happen OFF BOAT! Do try the water slide though, it was very cool (takes you out over the edge of the boat and basically you are above open water) and is even cooler when done at night. Don't waste your time on it if the line wait time is more than 10 minutes though. It is cool, but not that cool.

All in all, got more swimming in than I thought I would when I actually got to Orlando. Been fighting a sinus infection all week, and I get motion sickness, so I was in a perpetual state of discomfort on the boat.

Updated May 18th, 2019 at 07:33 PM by Calvin S

Categories
    Swim Workouts