View RSS Feed

USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Meet / OW event planning and results from USA Swimming events.

1. Nationals Entry

by , February 6th, 2012 at 01:36 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Taking a rest day today, but signed up for Nationals. I'll be avoiding the distance gods of the 45-49 age group on Thursday and swimming this mix of events:

Friday

• 400 IM
    • 100 fly

Saturday

• 100 IM (6th event)
    • 200 fly

Sunday

• 500 free
    • 200 IM

This gives me a focus event each day (400 IM, 200 fly and 500 free) and a fun event each day. I've got my sisters and father lined up for some fun family relays on Friday and Saturday, so now I need to get the custom caps and t-shirts made up for "Brundage Swim Masters." Hotel reservation is made and I'm stoked on all fronts except the flights: it appears USAirways has dropped the direct PHX ->RDU flight that I assumed I would get on (and get upgraded on). I'll work this coming weekend on figuring out flights.

Also confirmed today that the 1650 SCY I thought I was going to swim on Friday, Feb 17th at a kids meet is actually a 1500 LCM (the flyer was a bit confusing). I was kind of hoping it was going to be SCY, but this will still be fun. I swam it LCM twice in the same pool last summer (Phoenix Swim Club), so it'll be a good barometer for how my training's going.
  2. 400 LCM IM ...

by , January 28th, 2012 at 06:48 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    ... with emphasis on the LONG.

Man, I was still feeling the 1000 from last night, even after a solid 1,950 SCYs of warmup. I knew I couldn't try to be a hero on the butterfly (1:09.7), but kind of thought I'd have a little more to give on the backstroke (1:19.2) and breaststroke (1:29.8). I did manage to bring home the free nearer to my fly split than I have been lately (1:10.2), but my total time of 5:08.97 was a little slower than I had wanted to go. Last year I was 5:06.99 in early March at the Victoria meet; I was kind of hoping to be at that same time today. Given that I had been training harder/longer last year by March than I have this year by this weekend, though, I'll take it.

The kids all swam very well today, especially #3 this afternoon.

Highlight races of the morning was watching Roland Schoeman drop a 22.9 in the 50 LCM free and a 55.2 in the 100 LCM fly. He's training over at Phoenix Swim Club and they brought a solid team over.

Tomorrow it's down to Tucson to swim with people my own age -- http://homepage.mac.com/jimstites/Fo...HeatSheet.html. Events are 200 back, 100 free, 50 back, 100 back and 200 breast.
  3. Majorly chicked

by , January 27th, 2012 at 08:55 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    ... by a little girl!

I lost the bet big time to my daughter in the 1000 tonight. We went into the meet with best times as follows:

• Her - 10:23.50
    • Me - 10:22.63 (from Hawaii Nats in '02)

The results paint a far different picture:

• Her - 10:14.28
    • Me - 10:25.35

She crushed me, made her first NCSA Juniors cut and got a USAS Juniors Bonus Cut with that. It's clear that the distance torch has not only been passed, she's now running away with it. This proud papa will be heading out to Sweet Republic (http://sweetrepublic.com/) in short order to settle up my debt.

As for my swim, here are my thoughts:

• I'm pretty stoked with the time given where I am in my training. I was thinking this was going to be my only 1000 of the season, but I'll definitely do it again, probably at the AZ State Champs. I think a sub 10:10 time is in my future.
    • As for race execution, it all went according to plan for about 350 to 400 yards and I was hanging on the hips to knees of the two kids who ended up going 9:58s:
      • 1:00.4
      • 1:00.5
      • 1:02.4

• At the 400, split for split, I was 3 seconds ahead of my daughter, me at 4:00.40 and she at 4:03.49 ... but there's where the conditioning (or lack thereof) came into play as my next six 100s paint a much more painful picture
      • 1:04.0
      • 1:03.9
      • 1:04.4
      • 1:04.8
      • 1:04.7
      • 1:03.9

• My youngest daughter video'd it (no I won't punish you by posting it) and I noticed 4 things that I really need to focus on:
      • Stop looking at the wall before the turns
      • Keep my head looking down more during my stroke
      • As I've been feeling for awhile, I am indeed crossing over on my left hand entry. It looks like I quickly adjust and get it outside the center line for the pull, but there's wasted effort.
      • As I got tired, I also started doing the same thing with my right hand when I breathed to the right side.

• All-in-all, I'm quite pleased with the race ... even if my baby beat me.
  4. Three strikes ...

by , January 24th, 2012 at 11:31 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    ... and I should've been out, but I persisted.

The strikes were:

1. Got to Lifetime all pumped to do my 8 x 200 heart rate test set ... and realized I left my diving slate at home
    2. I got through 300 of my warmup in the SCM pool ... only to be stopped by the assistant aquatics director who told me that the pumps had been down since the morning, they thought they were going to get fixed, but they weren't and so they were closing the pool. He was very apologetic and even considered letting me when I said, "I'll sign my life away ... heck, I've swum in Tempe Town Lake ... how dirty can this be?" But, of course, if I swam, then he'd have to let other people swim.
    3. They are still not heating the outdoor pool so my only option was to swim in the kids play pool, which has 3 lanes ... and was probably 85 or 86 degrees.

The only positive was that the aquatics guy confirmed that the kids pool was 54 feet across. It does puzzle me as to how Lifetime could have gotten so many things right (e.g., 25 M course, backstroke flags, digital clocks, top quality lane ropes) in the main lap pools and then built some "lap lanes" as part of the kids pool that weren't some logical width. 20 yards would've made more sense. Oh well, I got to do a lot of 108s and 216s today!

After the 1st 300, the distances are yards:

• 1 x 300 (scm): 100 free, 200 IM k/d
    • <interlude discussion with aquatics director>
    • 1 x 216: easy free
    • 4 x 108: on 1:40, gentle descend free (1:11, 1:10, 1:09, 1:06+)
    • 4 x 108: on 2:00, descend IM kick w/board
    • 6 x 54: on 1:00, #1 & #6 easy free, #2 to #5 IM build
      • I did get stopped by the 75 year old lady in the lane next to me after my fly ... she very nicely wanted to compliment me on my stroke ... and then kept talking, and talking, and talking

• 6 x 36: on 0:40, 1st three were 1/2 lap fast - 1/2 lap easy, next 3 were easy
    • 8 x 216: on 3:30, 70% - 80% - 90% - 100% -100%- 90% - 80% - 70% perceived effort by 216
      • 2:26, 2:20, 2:17, 2:13+, 2:12+, 2:15, 2:19, 2:20

• 6 x 36: 2 each active recovery on 0:30, 0:35, 0:40

TOTAL: ~3,900 SCY

Commentary:

5. FASTival Finals

by , November 13th, 2011 at 03:13 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    aka "still not a sprinter!"

100 IM I watched the 13 yr old kid clock a 57 low and figured I could get to 57 high. I might have done that except that I completely crashed into the lane line on my backstroke, finishing with a bloody middle finger in 58.74 and in 3rd place, I think. One of the club's 16 year old sprinters (21.6 in 50) was 57.2 and I think someone else beat me. No idea where that time stands in my realm of untapered swims, but I don't think it's great.

The 50 fly was much better @ 25.52, but I got beat by 0.25 by the kid who I had outtouched on the 100 fly. Like the 100, though, having him there made me better.

I loved this meet and, in particular, loved how great my fly felt. Gotta run to officiate the afternoon session.
  6. FASTival Semi-Finals

by , November 13th, 2011 at 12:42 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    The rain fortunately stopped and it was just a bit cold for the 1st session this morning. I felt sluggish in my 1500 warmup, but tried to rev myself up with a lot of build and fast 25s. What really revved me up before the 200 IM was watching a 13 and a 14 year old boy from our team going 2:03.0 and 2:03.6. Having gone 2:09.2 last weekend and having a jammers best time of 2:01+, I knew I had my work cut out for me to try to represent the old guys. I wish I could've raced those guys as I was 2:03.42, an awesome swim for me, but the next senior guy was a couple of seconds behind me. I wonder if the extra competition swimming with the younger boys could've pushed me sub 2:03. Still, this is great and, like the 200 fly, gives me great confidence in getting under 2 in Greensboro.

Before I got up for the 100 fly, the same 13 year old boy cranked out a 55.3. Based upon my 200 and my best 100 @ 54 mid, I figured a 56 low would make me happy. Fortunately, in this race, I had. 15 year old next to me who pushed me wire-to-wire, me ending up @ 55.58 and he @ 55.66. I haven't had much direct competition until that race, but it totally helped to bring out a different gear.

About 30 minute break between sessions and then we go to the 100 IM and 50 fly.
  7. FASTival

by , November 12th, 2011 at 08:24 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Swam at the wonderfully-formatted Scottsdale Aquatic Club FASTival meet this morning in 'prelims' with results much better than expected:

400 IM -- 4:23.19
    After last week's meet, I thought I could approach 4:20, but after how I felt yesterday, I had decided I'd be happy with sub 4:25, so I was pleased. After the fly, there wasn't anyone to push me, but my splits were good -- 59.4, 1:06.2, 1:16.6, 1:01.0.

My best tapered non-tech suit time is 4:17.04 from Austin Nationals and I'm looking to get under 4:15 in Greensboro. Given that I'm wrapping up a pretty intense 4 week training cycle, I am both quite happy with this swim and feel that I'm on the right path.

200 fly -- 2:02.81
    Completely and utterly stoked with this swim. As my 200 IM and 200 fly are usually spot on the same time, I figured my 2:09 200 IM time from last week's meet, adjusted for having done that as my 5th event, meant a 2:05 was within reason for my 200 fly today. Splits were roughly 28.5 / 31.2 / 31.3 / 31.8. I'm beginning to love this event more and more; getting under 2:00 by Nationals should be very doable.

Hopefully officiating the afternoon 12 & under session won't do too much a number on my legs for two more mini-sessions tomorrow:

• Semi-finals:
      • 200 IM
      • 100 fly

• Finals
      • 100 IM
      • 50 fly

On the kid front, all Brundage girls posted anywhere from 2 to 3 best times across 3 swims each. #3 was the star of the kid show, swimming the 200 IM, 100 back and 100 fly and making her 'regional' qualifying times (feeder meet before our state championships with 10 & under 'BB' standards as cuts) in every event.
  8. MAC-uality

by , October 2nd, 2011 at 03:35 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Saturday night
    I finally got in the weight/dryland session I had wanted to do on Friday. I wanted to mix things up a bit and was inspired to do some of the exercises (in my weak personal style) from the videos that Fort had posted highlighting Natalie Coughlin (http://sports.yahoo.com/elite-athlet...n?vid=26748272), so did the following:

• Dynamic stretching + injury-prevention cord work
    • 3 super-sets of:
      • Pushups
        • Round 1, 10 regular
        • Round 2, 5 w/right hand on medicine ball
        • Round 3, 5 w/left hand on medicine ball

• Squat streamline jumps, 5 each round
      • Med ball twists. 15 each side, fast, 8lb ball

• 3 super-sets
      • Dips, made 2,3,3 by round
      • Split squats, did 5 each side on 1st two rounds, 3rd round just did 10 regular squats
      • Reverse curls on dip bar, 10 each round

• Static stretching

Sunday @ Mesa
    In addition to keeping up w/Paul's kicking bootcamp, we had some nice quality work mixed in:

• 1 x 300: various warmup
    • 2 rounds of
      • 2 x 50: on 1:00, build, went IM order
      • 1 x 100: on 2:00, easy free, went w/buoy & paddles
      • 8 x 25: on 0:30
        • Rd1 went IM order, making 2nd set of 4 faster than 1st
        • Rd2 went IM order in pairs, trying to push the evens

• 1 x 100: on 2:00, kick

• 1 x 50: easy
    • 4 x 300: on 4:30
      • 1st 100 from blocks at either 200 or 400 IM pace, I went IM
        • 1:01, 1:05, 1:15, 57

• 0:10 rest
      • 200 active recovery free, I pulled w/a buoy and was 2:20 to 2:23

• 4 x 200: on 4:30, kick
      • 1st 50 fast, IM order
      • 0:10 rest
      • 150 active recovery kick

• 4 x 100: on something, maybe 2:30
      • 1st 25 fast IM order from blocks, trying to get underwater to 15M mark
      • 75 active recovery free

• 12 x 25: on 0:30, kick
      • was supposed to be 16 and doing 4 each stroke, but I got chatting with Paul and missed the last 4 free

• 1 x 200: recovery pull

TOTAL: 4,250 SCY

Commentary:

• I watched those videos of Natalie in awe and jealousy. Pretty pathetic on my dips last night. Definitely need to start working those.
    • This morning's workout was a great mix of stuff. I was pretty happy with the faster efforts; even though they hurt and didn't feel fast, the times were decent.
    • I've got a super-fun USAS meet that I'm adding to my repetoire -- see http://www.scottsdaleswim.com/EventS...202&team=assac. It's a three session meet, where the senior swimmers start with the first session with choices of the 400 IM and 200s of the strokes. The top 24 in each event then move to the next session and swim the 200 IM and 100s of the strokes. The Top 16 from that move to the 3rd session and swim the 100 IM and 50s of the strokes. I'm going to enter the 400 IM and 200 fly and see how far I can go.
  9. Hey Ho! Let's go!

by , August 12th, 2011 at 05:43 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    The meet's underway, but thanks to the beauty of online check-in and SwimPhone, I can see that the 1500s won't be done until around 4:30pm, which means I'm swimming my 400IM sometime after 5pm. I did violate one of my Championship Performance Prep points (http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=2293), actually point #1, in terms of getting enough sleep last night. Shout out of shame to United for that one

Well, the flight delay last night wouldn't have hurt as much had I not had a 5:30am call today. I managed 5 hours of sleep and then powered through a morning of meetings and calls, wrapping up my professional work by 12:30pm. I then clipped down and dove into one of the world's only true hotel lap pools here at the Renaissance Club Sport in Aliso Viejo, a 6 lane, 25 yard course complete with lane ropes, two pace clocks, backstroke flags and cool water:

I did the following just to loosen up:

• 1 x 600: 300 free, 300 IM (no free) dr-k-dr-swim
    • 4 x 50: 3 on 0:40 cruise 30/31s, 1 easy
    • 8 x 25: on 0:30, odds build IM order, evens easy
    • 1 x 100: easy

TOTAL: 1,100 SCY

Often on meet days in warmups my mind runs to find all the things that feel wrong. Today, I could only feel and think about good things. My short-axis strokes feel especially good and when I revved the free on the last fast 25, I felt like I was riding high and grabbing big water. My stroke count on each of these 25s was lower than normal. In short, I felt great.

I grabbed some lunch, completed my shave down and grabbed a twenty minute nap. Nothing to do now but have some fun racing today. Aside from racing, my sights are set on getting under 5:00 in the 400 IM. I was 5:03.98 seven weeks ago. Getting under 4:55 will elicit a "Holy S**** and Hot D***."

For all you distance freaks out there, assuming my Flip doesn't crap out on me, I'll aim to get Janet Evans' 1500 video'd, though I won't be able to post it until I get home.

===========
    Pools / Open Water since 2007

Two pools added in bold below.

Pools I've trained in since 2007

1. Cactus Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    2. Brophy Sports Campus (Phoenix, AZ)
    3. Lifetime Fitness (Scottsdale, AZ)
    4. Lifetime Fitness (Skokie, IL)
    5. Lifetime Fitness (Austin, TX)
    6. Somerville YMCA (Somerville, NJ)
    7. Raritan Valley Community College (Branchburg, NJ)
    8. IUPUI Natatorium (Indianapolis, IN)
    9. UT Swim Center (Austin, TX)
    10. U of Arizona Hillebrand Swim CenterTucson, AZ)
    11. Talisman Sports Complex (Calgary, Alberta)
    12. U of Lethbridge Max Bell Swim Centre (Lethbridge, Alberta)
    13. Crystal Pool (Victoria, British Columbia)
    14. Oaks Christian School (Westlake Village, CA)
    15. Lifetime Fitness (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    16. Jewish Community Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    17. McDowell Mountain Ranch Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    18. Desert Breeze Pool (Las Vegas, NV)
    19. The Olympic Club (San Francisco)
    20. Janet Evans Sports Complex (Fullerton, CA)
    21. Woollett Aquatic Center / Irvine High School (Irvine, CA)
    22. Bruce Hazard Pool @ Mission Valley YMCA (San Diego)
    23. UCSD Canyonview Pool (San Diego)
    24. Villanova University (Philadelphia, PA)
    25. Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    26. Hilton Head Island Rec Center (Hilton Head, SC)
    27. YMCA Aquatic Center (Orlando, FL)
    28. Westin Sohna-Gurgaon (India)
    29. Reading Central Pool (Reading, England)
    30. Optimist Park (Raleigh, NC)
    31. Pullen Aquatic Center (Raleigh, NC)
    32. NOVA Aquatics Center (Richmond, VA)
    33. Lifetime Fitness (Cary, NC)
    34. Philadelphia Airport Marriott
    35. Berkeley Aquatic Club (Berkeley Heights, NJ)
    36. Chatham County Aquatic Center (Savannah, GA)
    37. Lifetime Fitness (Tempe, AZ)
    38. Clark Swim Center (Walnut Creek, CA)
    39. Holy Names University (Oakland, CA w/Manatee Masters)
    40. B.A.D.A.S.S. Pool (Scottsdale, AZ)
    41. Summit YMCA (Summit, NJ)
    42. George Washington Rec Center (Alexandria, VA)
    43. ACAC (Midlothian, VA)
    44. Centennial Indoor Pool (Cranford, NJ)
    45. Mission Viejo Dive Tank pool (Mission Viejo, CA)
    46. Mesa Carson Westwood Aquatic Complex (Mesa, AZ)
    47. Lifetime Fitness (Goodyear, AZ)
    48. Victoria YMCA (Victoria, BC)
    49. Issaquah Julius Boehm Pool (Issaquah, WA)
    50. Charles Hadley Pool (Miami, FL)
    51. Pompano Beach Aquatic Center (FL)
    52. Culver City Municipal Plunge (CA)
    53. Stanford Avery Aquatic Center - south 50M pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    54. Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center (Beaverton, OR)
    55. Mt Hood Aquatic Center (Gresham, OR)
    56. Juniper Swim & Fitness Center (Bend, Or)
    57. George Haines International Swim Center (Santa Clara, CA)
    58. Renaissance Club Sport (Aliso Viejo, CA)

Pools I've competed in since 2007

1. UT Swim Center (Austin, TX)
    2. ASU Mona Plummer (Tempe, AZ)
    3. Rutger's Sonny Werblin (Piscataway, NJ)
    4. Mission Viejo Nadadores (Mission Viejo, CA)
    5. U of Arizona Hillebrand Swim CenterTucson, AZ)
    6. Rinconada Pool (Palo Alto, CA)
    7. BEST Swim Club (Phoenix, AZ)
    8. Clovis North High School (Fresno, CA)
    9. YMCA Aquatic Center (Orlando, FL)
    10. Kino Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)
    11. Georgia Tech Aquatic Center (Atlanta, GA)
    12. Cactus Aquatic Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
    13. Desert Breeze Pool (Las Vegas, NV)
    14. Saanich Commonwealth Place (Victoria, BC)
    15. Skyline Aquatic Center (Mesa, AZ)

Open Water courses trained/competed in since 2007

1. Tempe Town Lake (Tempe, AZ)
    2. Lake Pend Oreille (Sandpoint, ID)
    3. La Jolla Cove / Pacific Ocean (La Jolla, CA)
    4. Greenwich Cove (Greenwich, CT)
    5. Flathead Lake (Montana), both Somers Bay (training) & Polson Bay (competing)
    6. Saguaro Lake (Arizona)
    7. Lake Pleasant (Peoria, AZ)
    8. Atlantic Ocean - Ft. Lauderdale
    9. Elk Lake (Oregon)

Updated October 1st, 2015 at 11:25 AM by pwb

Tags: pool list, taper
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  10. Clockwork awry

by , July 10th, 2011 at 06:21 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    All's well that ends well and today certainly ended well, but, after a weekend (and most of the morning) of me executing my personal and family commitments with clockwork like perfection, I hit some major snags when I arrived at the USAS Arizona Sr State Championships.

• Based upon the timeline and the progress of the meet as texted to me by my daughter, I figured I'd swim:
      • 200 IM between 12:05pm and 12:10pm
      • 1500 about 16 minutes after finishing my 200 IM

• As I was seeded 12th on the psych sheet for the 1500, but knew that I couldn't swim tonight (top 8 swim as the last event before relays in finals) due to a Sunday evening work conference call, I had checked in for the 1500 with a note "prelims only."
    • The first 'clockwork awry' came when I noticed they had the 800 women / 1500 men seeded slow to fast instead of fast to slow as dictated by the meet flyer. I talked with the SAC head coach before jumping in to warmup for the 200 IM and he said he'd talk with the officials.
    • I warmed up for my 200 IM, got out and got confirmation that the 800/1500 was being reseeded for fast to slow, but then someone pointed out to me that my entry time had been changed to 40:00, along with anyone else who had elected to swim in prelims. I went to talk with the officials about this and was treated exceptionally rudely by some guy who kept asking me if I had actually read the meet flyer. He claimed (he's wrong -- see attached) that the meet flyer clearly stated that anyone who elected to swim in prelims would be swum in the slowest heat. I calmly told him that I had, in fact, read the flyer and that I had not seen that. I didn't have the flyer on hand to prove my point, but he just claimed I was wrong and that I should take it up with my coach.
      • He got all huffy that I was only talking about waiting around another 30-32 minutes. While that was fine for me personally, what I wanted to do was to get #1 child home and out of the heat 30 minutes sooner so she could chill for her 800 tonight.
      • At that point, I didn't have time to argue with him because I had to swim my 200 IM.
      • He's not a guy I've worked with before, but I have seen him run other meets in town. His actions today have assured him one less stroke & turn official to help at his meets. I couldn't get over how rudely he reacted.

• OK, so that clockwork screw-up was not my fault, but the next one I take credit for: I failed to notice that they had re-seeded the 200 IM and I missed my heat. I walked up as heat 11 went in the water, thinking I was in heat 12, lane 8. Whoops. Heat 11, lane 4.
    • At this point, I had to confess my miss to my daughters, much to their delight. I changed out of my Yingfa and settled in for a ~45/50 minute wait until my 1500. The silver lining, I told myself, was that there was a kid originally seeded at 18:04 who had also elected to swim in the prelims and he was going to be in lane 5 versus my lane 3.
      • Had either of us elected to swim at night, we would've been in lane 8 of the final heat.

Ahhh, the happy ending -- I had an awesome race with this kid, going neck and neck wire-to-wire. It would've been nice had we not had the 20+ minute seeded guy in between us, but we could each see each other throughout the race. I had instructed #2 daughter to shake the counter again at the 550 and 1050 if I wasn't under 6:00 and 12:00, respectively, as I really wanted to get under 18:00. I can't say that I felt fast at any point in the race, but I felt really solid through about the 800/900. Up to that point, I was maintaining a 2L-2L-2L-2L-3-2R-2R breathing pattern with probably a 4-ish beat kick. No counting cards were shaking through the 1050 and I was hanging with the kid (16 or 17 yrs old) well, but my core was hurting. Somewhere around the 900 or 1000, I decided to drop back to a 2 beat kick to see if I could (a) still hang with the kid and (b) save up for a sprint to the finish. I managed (a) and thought I was well-positioned for (b), but he closed better than I thought and got me by a little more than 0.2 seconds.

Still ... drum roll ... I dropped 26 seconds from my swim 3 weeks ago and went 17:49.0 (can't remember the hundredths)! My 500s were solid:

• 5:52.2
    • 5:59.2
    • 5:57.6

... and I was out in my Masters' best 800, 9:27.46. I didn't do a split request so that 800 is not official, but I'm still personally counting this swim as 2 best times!

So, the semi-bad/training news to all of this is that I have learned again what my body responds to: volume. Through Masters' Nationals in Mesa, I was pretty much chugging along at my historic Masters maximum of about 15K yard equivalents per week. Since that point, I first amped it up to about 20K average. Then, over the last 3 weeks, I went 20K, 25K and 29K before a little rest this week from Tues to Thurs. If I think back to when I swam my best in my younger career (for the 800 through 1650), it was when I was doing crazy, massive volume. I'm certainly not doing crazy volume now, but jumping up 33% to almost 100% of previous average volume (while keeping intensity high) certainly produced a good result for the 1500.

That time will have to stick for this summer, but I can see no reason why I can't go faster next year. Unlike the 400 the other night, this still wasn't a race I was able to attack the whole way. Hopefully, another year of higher volume training will leave me in position to get under 17:30 next year.
  11. C winner, not chicked

by , July 9th, 2011 at 01:07 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    As expected, I only made it back tonight for the 400, having qualified 17th with a 4:30.81. I was able to see my splits from the morning swim on the results -- 1:05.5, 1:09.0, 1:08.6, 1:07.7 -- so I knew that I needed to push to get out a little faster tonight, but also push the 2nd 100 faster. I felt utterly crappy during warmup, but was like a new man when I dove in for the race. I was a bit disappointed that none of my heatmates pushed the pace, but I was very happy to sneak in under 4:30 at 4:29.52 and win the heat. On top of that, I managed to not get chicked by the women's event winner (she went 4:29.99)

I don't have my splits and there doesn't appear to be a real time meet results site to check them, but I'll track them down tomorrow night when I go back for #1 daughter to swim a relay. This race felt really good from start to finish and it was one of the first LCM races where I felt like I didn't have to hold back on account of me not being in sufficient LCM racing shape.
  12. Decent racing start

by , July 8th, 2011 at 05:21 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Life came together in a good way today for my first session of racing.

• I started the day with a brief 600 SCM easy swim @ home before a 5:30am conference call.
    • I managed to break from that call long enough to clean up, get appropriately dressed for client meetings and drop my daughter off for warmups, rolling into my client's office a little after 7am.
    • It really helped that my client's office is less than 1.5 miles from the pool, so when I pulled out of there around 10:30am, I figured I had a good shot at making the 100 fly.
    • 100 fly result -- 1:02.49, only 0.15 slower than my best (from Cactus Classic finals Memorial Day), but 0.9 faster than I had gone in prelims at that meet. I was a bit surprised I was that fast as I had zero speed; not surprising given the kinds of workouts I've been doing lately. Unless there are a lot of scratches, I doubt I'll swim that again tonight even with A-B-C finals. The results weren't posted when I left.
    • 400 free result -- 4:30.81, a 2.2 second drop from my Masters best and exactly 3 seconds faster than I went in the same pool 3 weeks ago. Again, my starting speed just wasn't there, but I felt like I finished better. No one got my splits, but I'll find them out tonight. I think there's a good chance I'll sneak into the C final with that. I was seeded 24th with a 4:33.0 and in the other events it seemed like the 24th time this morning was slightly slower than the psych sheet 24th time.
    • As my daughter's swimming both the 100 and 400 free again tonight, I'll bring my swim stuff with me and hope to swim at least the 400. If I do, I'll aim to take it out a bit harder with more kick and see if I can get under 4:30.

Pretty decent start to the weekend. My lack of any starting speed though has me lowering my expectations for my 100 and 200 tomorrow in Mesa
  13. 3 more seconds

by , June 20th, 2011 at 01:28 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I swam the 400 IM tonight at the PHX Summer Invite. Given that I had felt pretty good in my 100 back in the morning, I figured I could go a bit faster than the 5:06.99 I had gone earlier this year in Victoria. And, I did, going 5:03.98, a Masters best. I don't have my splits, but I had a great race with a kid next to me ... even though he beat me to the wall by a little less than 0.2, it was fun to have someone pushing me. I am pretty pleased with the race, but feel like I can still go faster with some changes:

• Train LCM! While I was happy with the time, I'm just not in the kind of shape I need to be to be able to attack this race. I was relaxed on the fly, built the back and built the breast, but then had little left in the tank for the freestyle.
    • Gliding is my friend in breaststroke: my first 50 felt smooth as I focused on stretching my stroke out, powerful pull, powerful kick and a decent glide. As I tried to pick it up on the 2nd 50, I think I shortened my stroke too much. I imagine I could've achieved the same split with the long stroke I had in the first 50 and have had more left for the freestyle.
    • I have to train more breaststroke and backstroke in actual sets in workouts ... doing things like 10 x 100 breast or 5 x 200 back, etc. I tend to only train these strokes when I do actual IMs in workout, but I think I need to put more emphasis on them on single stroke oriented sets.

UPDATE: Found the splits and they make me feel even better about the swim:

• Fly -- 1:08.1 (32.1 / 36.0)
    • Back - 1:18.4 (39.5 / 38.9)
    • Breast - 1:28.8 (44.3 / 44.5)
    • Free - 1:08.7 (35.4 / 33.3)

Though I only swam 4 events over the weekend, starting out with the 1500 made it seem like a longer, harder meet than it should've. I was pleased with the results.

Season ahead
    Probably going to enter the following for the AZ Senior State meet (back at PHX Swim Club) the weekend of July 9th:

• 100 fly
    • 400 free
    • 200 IM
    • 1500* -- will enter, but reserving the mental space to not positively check-in for this!

I'm hoping to swim an LCM meet in mid-August with the current candidates being:

• SPMA Champs, Aug 12th to 14th:
      • Downside of this is that I'm not sure I can swing being there for 3 days
      • Order of events kind of crummy for me (e.g., 200 fly right after 400 free)
      • But, it's darn convenient and probably will have the greatest opportunity for competition

• Davis Aquatic Masters, Aug 13th:

• Maryland Masters summer swim series LCM, Aug 13th
      • http://www.teamunify.com/EventShow.j...&team=msmdlmsc
      • Am toying with this if I have reason to be on the east coast the week before
      • Order of events would allow for both the 400 free and 400 IM along with something in between like the 100 free or 100 fly
      • It's at the UMBC pool: anyone know if this is any good?

• Anyone know of any LCM meets the weekend of August 20th/21st?

Updated June 20th, 2011 at 08:59 AM by pwb

Categories
    USA-S Swim Meets / Events , Planning
  14. Z-Pack & Back

by , June 19th, 2011 at 04:54 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    As much as I like Cactus Pool and think that Kino is probably the fastest pool in Arizona, there is no better facility for hosting and attending a summer meet than the Phoenix Swim Club. Long course, I'd say the pool is almost on par with Kino and their chillers are the best in the state. What makes the facility even better, though, is the surrounding grass and numerous shade trees. It makes for both a more pleasant swimmer and parent experience, plus also makes the deck a lot cooler, though still hot, than the concrete ovens that exist at ASU and U of A. With all that said, I was toast by 2pm yesterday after officiating all morning. I decided against even doing an easy swim and just stayed inside the rest of the day.

Thanks to my friendly neighborhood CVS Minute Clinic, I did start on Zithromax yesterday for a diagnosed sinus infection. Hopefully, I'll be a new man in 5 days!

I got to the prelims session today expecting to swim the 100 back and 400 IM. Imagine my surprise when I found out that a number of the guys seeded ahead of me in the 400 had opted to swim it in the AM (timed final event with Top 8 swum in the evening) so they could catch flights home. Had I realized this was an option, I would've had my daughter mark me as 'prelims only,' but I didn't so I'm swimming that at the end of finals tonight. At first, I was bummed, but then got my head around it during warmup for my 100 back when I was feeling good in the water and now am pretty pumped for it.

As for my 100 back, I think I've only swum it once as a Masters swimmer and it was in '09 in a bodysuit. I had been 1:06.13 so I was looking to go sub 1:08. The race felt strong and good throughout, including a not sucky (but still not good) start. I was out in 32.6 and came back in 34.8 for a. 1:07.42. I'll take that! I did qualify 18th, but declared my intention to scratch tonight so I can focus on the IM (as guys will scratch).
  15. Felt the 15 on the 4

by , June 17th, 2011 at 06:50 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Were I one to whine on the yacht, I'd make note of the fact that the meet flyer said they'd alternate men and women, fastest to slowest, not run all women (10 heats) and then all men. Yes, I might even moan that the extra 45 minutes hanging out in the heat was a contributing factor to my average performance on the 400 today. But, I'm not that kind of guy. And, let's face it, my arms probably would've felt like lead on my 400 just as much 17 hours after last night's 1500 as 16 hours 15 minutes after it.

In the end, my time, 4:33.8 something, was only 0.8 off my Masters best, so this wasn't horrible. However, having gone out @ 4:38.9 in my 1500 feeling smooth, I had hoped to get a 4:29+/4:30-. Oh well. C'est la vie.

My (slacker) daughters didn't write down my splits, so I'll have to wait for the meet results. Given that I never really felt any speed and dropped quickly back from the guys on either side who were like 4:27 and 4:31, I'm imagining that I split this more smartly than last night, but that rose-colored vision might be busted once I see the final results.

My (not really slacker) daughters had a nice day of swimming, dropping time in most of their events, including something like 40 seconds for #2 in her 400. Ahhhh, youth.

Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to just officiating tomorrow and doing an easy swim after the meet. Then I'll try my hand at the 100 back and 400 IM on Sunday. If two guys scratch the IM, I'll get to swim it in finals, which would be fun (and cooler weather-wise).
  16. 6.72 secs to being chicked ...

by , June 16th, 2011 at 10:27 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    ... by my daughter in the 1500. She dropped 11 seconds (in-season, unrested, 4 days after the 5K OW race) to go 18:22.08. I put up a respectable Masters best of 18:15.36. Not much longer now.

My aggregate time doesn't explain my whole race, though. The 500s paint an uglier picture:
    * 5:50.8 = man, I feel smooth.
    * 6:09.9 = holy mother of god am I not in shape for this sh*t
    * 6:14.7 = please, Mr. Referee, you should've shot me and put me out of my misery at about the 750 mark

I did what I said I was going to do and tried to hang with the 15 year old next to me. I was 4:38.9 at the 400, too darn close to my 4:33 Masters best, and then 9:30.8 at the 800, almost exactly what I went 2+ weeks ago. So, while it was a bit of an absurd race strategy, I am actually happy with the end result.

I will enter this and swim it again at another USAS meet in 3 weeks.
  17. GR8 8

by , May 30th, 2011 at 02:33 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Thanks everyone for the supportive comments on my blog this weekend. It really kept me going. I read the thoughts from last night's post before heading over to the pool this morning for the 800 and it jazzed me up again.

I really didn't know what my body would do this morning, but I wanted to see how close I could get to the 9:32.0 I went last year at this meet (admittedly on the Thursday night as the 1st event) and the 9:30.61 I had gone back in 1993, the only other time I've swum an 800 LCM as a Masters swimmer. I was seeded in the fast heat, lane 2, with the guy next to me seeded around 9:21 and the fast seed at 9:11. The kid in lane 4 was having a great meet and I knew I wouldn't hang with him. I was kind of hoping the kid in lane 3 was going to hit his 9:21, but I was ahead of him by the 50 and never looked back. I didn't really have anyone to race as the 14 year who was closest to me in my heat in time was out in lane 8. So, I just settled into a pace and waited for the 9 sign to come on the lap counter; I had told my daughter to shake it if I was out slower than 4:42.99 at the 400. I was 4:44.0, so she shook it and I picked up my kick and my pace. Contrary to other events where I felt like I died, I felt very strong throughout the whole race. I had a fair amount left on the last 100 (in retrospect, too much) and managed to get to the wall at 9:30.35, a Masters best!

After last night's pain, I was dreading swimming this morning, but I am glad I did. I did a longish 1750 SCY warmup, taking it very easy at first and then doing pace 100s, 75s and 50s to get me warmed up. I had an inkling by the end of warmup that I'd be fine on the 800, but my body held up far better than I expected it too. What encourages me is that the pace I averaged today (1:12.25) converts to the 1:10 or so pace I had gone on my most recent 3 x 300 Salo test set. I can't say they're 100% correlated, but, if I can get that pace in workout down more to the 1:08 SCM range, that should set me up for a much better 800 LCM.

Now, with a big client deliverable and meetings this week, I'll turn my attention back to work for the day. I did do a 2.25 hour call this morning starting at 5:30am ... hopefully only a handful of hours this afternoon of work left. Good thing there are lots of movies I can ship my kids off to for the afternoon so I can get the work done.
  18. Backstroke piano

by , May 30th, 2011 at 01:35 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Neither tea nor a nap could bring me home on the 200 back tonight. Like other nights, I went out faster than in the morning (1:11.1 vs. 1:13.6), but I proceeded to watch a piano fall from the beautiful Arizona sky onto me for the last 100. My god, I've never had a 200 back hurt more. I managed not to get last (after having qualified 4th) by beating one other guy, but was 2:29.03. I was in lane 6 of this (http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/events/2011-united-healthcare-cactus-classic/races/11267); you can tell by my crappy start and the big time die!

The 200 IM went better, in that I got faster from the prelims swim (a little less than a second), going 2:26.03, but it hurt way more than the cruiseful feeling swim this morning. By the time I got to the freestyle, I didn't have much left. The guy in lane 3 tonight was a guy I easily passed this morning on the freestyle, but I was too far back and too tired after the breaststroke (http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...ic/races/11270).

Methinks that 10 races over 6 sessions along with 2 afternoon sessions of officiating is starting to take its toll. Still, this has been an awesome experience and one helluva great extended quality workout.

I'll continue with a 4th day of quality workouts tomorrow by attempting an 800. It might get ugly, folks.
  19. Feeling 44

by , May 29th, 2011 at 02:34 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I was definitely feeling my age this morning. Given the layout of the meet (e.g., 3 finals heats), I figured I could cruise my 200s this morning to get into finals and work the 50 fly. Even with cruising, though, I'm not sure pushing these this AM would've resulted in much faster times; I was feeling the weight of this being my 5th session of swimming. I did make a tactical error on the 200 IM ... a little too cruiseful!

200 back

• Was 2:27.40 with a nearly even split of 1:13.6 / 1:13.8. It felt exceedingly relaxed for the first 100, I built the next 50 and then really only pushed the last 50 very hard. This compares well with the 2:25.98 I went (but got DQ'd) in Victoria. Not sure how much faster I can be tonight, but qualified 4th.

50 fly

• I know I'm not training for sprints, but I did the thing I always do with fly: I try to sprint and I go slower. No one got my split last night going out in the 100 fly, but it had to be pretty close to the 29.63 I went this morning. Technically, this is still a best time as I have never raced it LCM as a Masters swimmer. I qualified 13th, but scratched this as it will only be about 10 minutes after my 200 back final tonight.

200 IM

• My tactical error was here. I had thought I could cruise this and get into the A final, but was a little too cruiseful and qualified 9th with a 2:26.98; 8th was 2:25.77. I was 2:23.94 at Victoria and think I can approach that tonight and hopefully beat it. As my 200 fly and 200 IM times have historically been very close, I'd really like to see a 2:22+ tonight. We'll see how the old body holds up.
  20. Surprising Finals

by , May 29th, 2011 at 12:33 AM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    Not sure what contributed to my good swim tonight ...

• the nap at 3:30?
    • the yoga and stretching at 4:00?
    • the cup of tea at 4:30?
    • the Tracer Light?

... or maybe it was just the competition. I was sandwiched between two 15 year olds tonight for the 100 fly, sitting in lane 2 with the kid who won the 200 fly in lane 3. As I hadn't died in my 200 fly (too badly) and felt strong in my prelims 100 fly, I figured I'd try to go out strong and controlled, but sticking as close to the guy in lane 3 as possible. I can't say I really stuck with him, but his speed and the guy in lane 1 definitely got me going (see video here http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...ic/races/11219). The last 25 hurt like hell, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a 1:02.34 on the clock, a second drop from this morning. Sweet night.

Tomorrow's the bear of the day: I realized when looking through the heat sheet that I had also signed up for the 200 IM. I had forgotten that somehow, so I have the 200 back, 50 fly and 200 IM tomorrow. It should be fun. These are awesome quality workouts with a touch on endurance to seal the pain come Monday with the 800.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast