View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Friday, Nov. 1

by , November 1st, 2013 at 04:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC/Scap, 15 min (did this last night too)
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    flutter kicks on back on bosu, 3 x 50
    captains's chair leg raises, 2 x 15
    low row negatives, 75/90 x 3 x 8
    good mornings, 45 x 3 x 8
    free motion lifts, 50 x 3 x 8
    fast leg press jumps, 90 x 3 x 8 (weird machine, you're basically laying on your back)
    kettleball swings, 25 x 1 x 15
    med ball slams, 30 (forward, twisting, reverse)
    box jumps, 10

Swim:

easy continuous 1000 yards

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tried not to overdo at the gym, but tweaked my left hamstring a tad.

Got my Swimmer mag today. I wrote an op/ed piece for Both Sides of the Lane Line. Little did I know that the opposing piece was written by my PV buddies Mollie Grover and Jeff Strahota!

Got a pair of Speedo's new laser elite goggles to product test. They look pretty cool, smaller than those largish goggles that Phelps/Lochte were sporting at the Olympics.

One other things I thought was interesting about the Jimby-Rushall conversation is Rushall thought that there was a decided advantage for a masters athlete who had never been out of the sport or taken little time off. As an example, he noted that Jenny Whitely of Aussie is beating Shane Gould (who took 17 years off). I have always felt that was a huge factor for me, having taken 24 years off from the pool. There is no way I could develop the aerobic base of say Karlyn Pipes or Laura Val, both of whom took little time off. That's one reason I focused on sprinting. I guess one good thing that came from time off was being open minded enough to learn a new stroke -- dolphin kick -- and try different training methods.

Happy weekend everyone!

Updated November 1st, 2013 at 05:24 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Sarasota YMCA Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout: 11/04/2013

by , November 1st, 2013 at 12:22 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    SCM
    WARM UP:
    1 X 200 3:30 3:20
    3 X 100 1:50 1:40
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right

1 X 300 kick + 100 swim

4 X 50 descend to fast 1:15
    4 X 25 sprint :45 #4 on 1:45
    Two rounds, choice.

1 X 100 easy
    1 x 50 blocks @ 100%
    Four rounds

6 X 100 2:20
    odd: cruise
    even: 85/90%

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 57 - Friday

by , November 1st, 2013 at 10:53 AM (After a long rest)
    Last night I skipped weights and went trick or treating with my 10 year old daughter. My son who is soon to be 13 dressed up and went over to a friends house to play video games(I dont quite understand the logic, but hey, he was was happy). I hung back while my daughter and three of her neighbourhood friends got inordinate amounts of candy. They started with little buckets but ended up with pillow cases filled with treats. My wife took over around 7.30 so that I could get to bed at my normal 8pm time(I am now going to bed earlier than both my kids).

I was really happy with my workout today. We still did some long yardage but we did a very nice set that combined speed and endurance, and I got faster as the set went along which was a great feeling.

Warm up
    400 swim with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 45

Main set
    4x(2x100 on 2min AFAP, 200 kick on 3.20, 2x50 on 30, 100 easy on 1.40)

Warm down
    3x500 swum (#1 with snorkel, #2 pull with paddles, #3 alternating back free by 50) with 30 seconds rest between 500's

Total 4600 scy

The first 2x100's felt pretty bad, but after that I felt better and better as the set went along. I went 57's on the first 2x100's, then went 56's on round 2, 55's on round 3, and 54,53 on the last set. The 50's I was holding 28's throughout. The 200's kick I worked hard and held 3mins. I last round if this set I was flying and one of the guys in the next land started a set when I had 50 to go and I chased him down which also felt great and was the reason for me going as quick as I did.

I get to sleep in tomorrow morning(after discussion with my coach who initally wanted me to show up at practice, but thought about it and said show up at noon for warm up for the meet. I swim the 50 free, 100 back, 200 free and 500 free tomorrow. I am hoping for a quick 200 and 500 but at the end of the day just getting A cuts to allow me to swim with the fast kids is the goal for each swim this weekend.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Friday - Nov 1, 2013

by , November 1st, 2013 at 10:08 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Arms so achy from weights today. They were achy yesterday too - can hardly wait to get started on my mortering tomorrow (jk)

500 back/free

3 x 200 P on 2:45

4 x 100 K on 2:00

4 x 100 stroke free on 1:40

100 easy

16 x 50 @ :50 descend in groups of 4 - wore paddles on last 8 - it's amazing how much faster I go, and how much more I can feel myself pulling with those on (and no pullbuoy)

100 easy

4 x 4cycles on :30

200 breast

300 Pull

300 breast

300 kick

300 breast/free

Total: 4300
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Had to back off a bit

by , November 1st, 2013 at 10:07 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Sometimes I push myself too hard but at least I know when to stop and then start back again.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    1100 free w/paddles & bouy time at the 1000 mark was 14 minutes had to stop due to setting heart rate alittle high
    500 free kick w/zoomers
    7x100@1:40 free w/strapless paddles maintain 6 beat kick
    200 free w/snorkle as 25 drill/25 swim

Total 3500 yards
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Growing Pains (November-December 2013)

by , November 1st, 2013 at 01:00 AM (SWIMMER Editorials)
    Knowledge, sometimes born from debate, is good for sports
    I know next to nothing about sports other than swimming. I’m an anomaly in almost any crowd—my friends tease me for not knowing what a first down is or look aghast when I suggest that the stuff you endure at a live baseball game is manufactured to distract you from the low energy level (Hey! It’s time to stand up and sing now!).

Baseball, basketball, and football are so popular that many, many people know the rules of those games. Yes, there is controversy (betting, steroids, the NCAA, etc.), but the technical rules are generally understood (seemingly by everyone except me) and you can find lively, informed debate at watercoolers and in sports bars and broadcast booths around the country.

Swimming is pretty far behind the ball sports in terms of mainstream understanding, but intensive media coverage of the swimming events of the past two Olympics means your office mate—whose only previous definition of an IM was instant messaging in the 1990s—is now on a first-name basis with marquee swimmers: “Can’t wait to see Michael and Ryan go at it in the 400 IM!”

Not so much for open water, or more specifically, its lesser understood and gangly cousin, marathon swimming, which is currently experiencing growing pains thanks to the media coverage and subsequent controversy that surrounded Diana Nyad’s recent Cuba to Florida swim.

It didn’t take long for debate to brew around Nyad’s swim; within days of her staggering ashore in Florida, marathon swimming insiders began asking questions that touched off a lengthy, ongoing conversation about rules, transparency, and the very integrity of the sport. What bloomed online is a debate that most people don’t have any way of participating in because marathon swimming is not a watercooler topic in most places.

Still, most nonswimmers have heard of Nyad and her swim and comment frequently to us swimmers about it. It’s easy to see why her story has broad appeal: It touches on aging better, goal-setting, perseverance, and other inspirational themes that extend beyond the sport. And whether you know a lot or nothing about swimming, what she accomplished was impressive.

But marathon swimming is a sport with a rich history, traditions, and technical rules, just like other sports. The small but vocal group of experts—many of them accomplished marathon swimmers—who are asking questions about Nyad’s swim have the opportunity to educate journalists, so that journalists, in turn, can educate the public when they start asking questions around the watercooler: Are you allowed to touch the boat? What is the difference between a marathon swim and an exhibition swim? What is the difference between assisted and unassisted? When do we stand up and sing?

There will always be debate, and that’s a good thing, but knowledge is the key to informed debate. Let’s hope that Nyad’s swim and both its supporters and detractors bring a new level of understanding to a beautiful, sometimes brutal sport that tests the limits of both physical and mental endurance in ways most people cannot imagine.

In this issue of SWIMMER, we’re excited to bring you profiles of two people who have been influential in helping us understand both marathon swimming and ball sports. Associate editor (and Triple Crown marathon swimmer) Elaine K. Howley writes about Michelle Macy’s amazing Ocean’s Seven feat in “Swimming Life” (Page 6) and frequent contributor Jim Harper writes about legendary sports journalist and Masters swimmer John Feinstein, who credits swimming with saving his life (Page 14). Reading his profile has made me want to read more about other sports. Feinstein is a gifted writer, and that’s something I can wrap my brain around, even if I don’t (yet) understand the seventh-inning stretch.

Updated September 15th, 2016 at 05:07 PM by Editor

Categories
    Staff Blogs