Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    yes that is correct (since you once did a turn with the Arkansas Dolphins you may have become familiar with it!).
    It is more like "four...sixtwo" the 6 flutter kicks basically happen with the 2 opening strokes. It isn't like I do 4 fly kicks, then 6 flutter kicks, all under water, then breakout and THEN do 2 strokes. That is just silly!
    Yeah, that's about what I figured - and I may have dredged that guess out of my time with the Dolphins, I don't remember exactly! The thing I do remember that I like to put into parts of warmup is the variable speed sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Been meaning to ask - is "4/6/2 turns" 4 dolphin kicks, 6 flutter kicks, 2 strokes before breathing? Or something else?
    yes that is correct (since you once did a turn with the Arkansas Dolphins you may have become familiar with it!).

It is more like "four...sixtwo" the 6 flutter kicks basically happen with the 2 opening strokes. It isn't like I do 4 fly kicks, then 6 flutter kicks, all under water, then breakout and THEN do 2 strokes. That is just silly!
    Been meaning to ask - is "4/6/2 turns" 4 dolphin kicks, 6 flutter kicks, 2 strokes before breathing? Or something else?
    Well done with a lot of swimming! Your 500 was beautifully split, and your times stayed super fast through all of those 100s!
    8th year in the books! I had to leave the workout early this morning for I only partook in the main set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Nice meet.
    Do you think the 500 was your best swim of the meet?
    If so, do you think there was a little extra taper being on the last day?
    Thanks for posting. It is fun to read about your training and how it went at the meet.
    500 definitely felt the best of the meet. I felt like I could have done another 2-300 yards at that pace, which tells me I am just about 1000 ready, but not quite 1650 ready. I was happy with the time (would have been disappointed if I wasn't under 5:00), but the swim felt faster and better than was reflected in the time. I think the big reason it felt so great was I was just energized for that race. I knew it could be good after how the opening 500 of the 1650 felt. Having double the layover this time (~26 hours between the 200 FL and the 500 FR, as opposed to ~12 hours between 1650 and 200 FL) and getting a good night's sleep really helped as well. I also reshaved Sunday morning, because why not? I wouldn't be surprised if I was more tapered by the time the 500 rolled around just because I didn't taper very long or very much for this meet, and I also did not follow my usual taper schedule. I was telling Trip today that my taper this time around was very chaotic and disjointed. I will definitely taper longer and keep it more structured in April!

Glad you enjoy reading. Sometimes I wonder to what end I post it all. It does make for easier workout surfing than flipping through my pages of notebooks!!
    Nice meet.
    Do you think the 500 was your best swim of the meet?
    If so, do you think there was a little extra taper being on the last day?
    Thanks for posting. It is fun to read about your training and how it went at the meet.
    Welcome back Celestial. I wish I could focus more on distance...3000 yds per workout is typical for me, so I will slowly increase yardage