View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Neuro-psychological training

by , October 13th, 2008 at 04:42 PM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    Well, something interesting to write about! Not that I'm against the workout blogs, but it is rather commonplace, eh? No one blogs about how much pain they were in (LOL).

This weekend, I was contacted by a Ph.D student in the Department of Psychology at NMSU. She is an avid adult swimmer, but she is not into the competition thing - if you know what I mean.

She contacted me because she needs master swimmers to test a new idea (the basis for her dissertation). Essentially, the idea is based on acu-pressure and meditation. The idea is to practice her technique over a weekend (two one hour sessions) and then swim an (pre and post) event for time. I believe the "intervention" (that's the term that psychologists use) is supposed to help us with mental aspects of competitive (racing) swimming. She is really charged up about this because she will get quantitative values (our performance for 100 yards freestyle) that can be used to determine the relative efficacy of the intervention.

I guess we have all been in a mental state that takes us away from our focus. I know that I "self-talk" during practice sets and during events (e.g., "it hurts!!", "i'm dying", "so and so is catching me", blah, blah, blah).

I try to empty my mind before I race. I try to get into "the zone" - remember the tennis book by the same name? My favorite coach told us that "Getting too pumped up is just as bad as Feeling bad" before the race. He said that the idea mental state is to be aware of not trying to hard or giving up too easy. It's easy to say, but much harder to do - esp. if you are swimming your sixth event of a meet. I'm always drained by the sixth event. On the other hand, my college coach, a former successful head football coach, was really, really good about getting you pumped up. Paradox!

So I'll keep you, dear reader, informed of the progress of our research project. Who knows if this will work, but it is interesting and it is novel. Perhaps a placebo effect at best?

I'm also going to try to find some internet resources for mind sports training. If you know of a cool site, please let me know and I will post it to the blog and credit you for finding it.

Swimmingly yours,
    Philipp
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Travel woes

by , October 13th, 2008 at 03:49 PM (My non-workout blog and random thoughts)
    I travelled to Aberdeen, Maryland this last week and could not find a pool that was within reasonable distance and cost.

I tried swimmersguide.com - probably the best pool guide in the world, but there were no pools that I could access given my work schedule, driving distance and available hours. Bummer. I stayed at a Hampton Inn and while they had a bathtub pool, it was full of kids - which is cool. I support swimming of all kinds.

I was able to go to a pretty nice YMCA associated with the hotel. Totally new Cybex machines and I got some good workouts in after work.

Unfortunately, on the outbound plane trip, I sat in front of a rather large person who coughed almost the entire flight leg (3 hours) and did not cover her mouth. Airplane "air" is recirculated and I got sick (but not until the day of my plane ride home). I still feel ickish, but swimming easy has really helped.

BTW, Americans are getting much bigger. I sat next to four people on my flights and 1) all of them were much bigger than I and 2) several could barely make into their seats and 3) one person had to lift the arm rest up so that he could fit into the seat. Fortunately, they were all very polite and while it was tight, it was not miserable (except for the person who would not cover their mouth while coughting).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Monday, October 13, 2008

by , October 13th, 2008 at 12:04 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY, Solo

Warm up
    300 swim free & back
    4 x 100 flutter kick on back on 2:15 desc.
    6 x 50 drill

Main set
    (descend the 300's, 200's, 100's down to 85% effort)
    300 free @ 5:00 (4:07)
    200 free @ 3:15 (2:36)
    100 free @ 1:45 (1:13)
    Rest 1:00
    300 back @ 5:15 (4:40)
    200 back @ 3:30 (3:00)
    100 back @ 2:00 (1:22)
    Rest 1:00

***mix up the following 24 X 25's:
    ***get more intense as the set continues

12 X 25 kick on back, no board on :40
    odds dolphin, evens flutter

12 X 25 swim IMO :40

Cool Down
    200 easy kick swim

3000 yards

45 minute spinning class at noon.

Updated October 13th, 2008 at 04:15 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Coney island-brighton beach open water

CIBBOWS is a USMS open water group that i swim with when ever i am in brooklyn.

the "loop" is 5k and consists of two lengths from the coney island pier to the end of brighton beach. the neighborhood is russian. it seems that the russians enjoy a dip in cool water, but few actually swim in it. today was a beautiful sunny day, so the beach had many people near the water but few in it until some 25 of us started our loop. the water temp was in the low 60's and felt "easy" compared to the 56 degree lake swim last wednesday. it seems to be generally accepted that fresh water feels colder than salt water...i wonder why?

i swam with gilles, lance, terry, jonathan, and mike varying the pace throughout. there was a current running from the pier toward brighton so we started with for about 1/2 mile, turned around and swam against it to the pier and then finished back with a little assist again.

the group has several channel alumns as well as several swimmers sharpening up for the ederle swim in two weeks.

tomorrow is supposed to be just as beautiful...i will be back up-state.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Unnatural Acts, Oct. 12

by , October 12th, 2008 at 12:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Team practice at GMU:

There was a complicated 1600 yard warm up of swim, kick, drills and sculls. I arrived late and did 800. (Don't mean to sound like Ande, lol, but I'm not a fan of quite that much warm up.)

6 x 25 breaststroke widths, going across the pool and taking one breath between lane lines. Fun drill.
    1 x 25 breaststroke fast from the blocks
    75 easy

4 x 100 IM on 1:50, no arms between flags, essentially hypoxic kicking with good turns
    4 x 50 stroke on :55
    4 x 100 IM kick with board on 1:50
    4 x 50 stroke on :55
    4 x 100 IM on 1:50, no arms between flags
    50 EZ

6 x 25 fly on :30
    odds no breath
    evens 1 breath
    1 x 25 fast fly from the blocks

practiced starts
    200 C/D

Total: 3100

--------------------------------------------------

Yoga with my daughter in the pm. We also did about 20-25 minutes of light weights. We did the Cavic exercise on the stability ball. She said my recovery was too high. lol

--------------------------------------------------

Shoulder's a little twitchy from the fly set the other day. Going to do a Tall Paul pyramid kick set on Tuesday.

Updated October 12th, 2008 at 07:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 10/11/08 Fat Man back in the Pool

by , October 11th, 2008 at 04:24 PM (Fat Man back in the Pool)
    Last night added the elliptical trainer to the workout since there was not pool time.

7:45 -8:45 Aquatic Center SCY

Coaches were busy preparing for an age group meet so we actually had a posted workout

500 Swim
    8 x 50 on 1:00 Odd 25 stroke build, 25 Fr DPS
    Even Free Descend by 50s

3 Rounds of:
    6 x 25 fast kick choice on :40
    4 x 50 drill/swim choice on 1:00
    2 x 100 75 free, 25 stroke all out on 1:30
    1min rest

8 x 25 on :40 odd stroke, even fast free
    200 easy

2950 - Its these odd rounds of sets that are darned hard for me to remember well enough to get them logged.

Out of the pool and off to the Church for a service project, then back to the house to take family to lunch and catch a few minutes of the Horns womping the OU Dirt Burglars. Fine final score.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Fun with Fins

by , October 11th, 2008 at 01:21 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Saturday, October 11, 2008
    SCY with Carrie

300 swim free and back
    200 kick, IMO with board
    300 free pull w/paddles and buoy
    200 kick, no board rev IMO

1 x 500 free

6 X 50 free 1:00 1-3: 1st 25 B5/2nd 25 B3
    4-6: 1st 25 B3/2nd 25 B5

Rest of the set done with fins
    4 X 25 free :30 70%, 80%, 90% 100% effort by 25's
    1:00 rest

2 x (50 free afap + 200 easy swim/kick on 5:00)
    went 27 on the 50's

4 X 25 fly :30 70%, 80%, 90%, 100% effort by 25's
    1:00 rest

2 x (50 stroke afap + 200 easy swim/kick on 5:00)
    fly on 1st one went :29, back on 2nd one went :28

3000 yards

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Fly Day

by , October 10th, 2008 at 03:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I'm pretty sore and tired from training. I haven't had a day off since Sept. 26. Usually I take Saturdays off, but last weekend, a beautiful fall day and the lure of the running trail beguiled me. Really looking forward to taking tomorrow off! And I almost never say that. lol

Today was my scheduled day for doing a fly set to help my 100 fly. I'm trying to take the advice given in the "Training for the 100 Fly" thread. Was deciding between sets given to me by Cream Puff, Jeff Roddin and Greg Shaw. Decided to do Greg Shaw's 10 x 75 fly set. As you can see below, I gave myself a generous interval (as he suggested) to hold form. I used fins because there is no way I can swim that much fly without them without shoulder pain. I did this set in September, but had to alternate fly and one arm fly drill. This time, I did it all fly.

600 warm up
    200 fly drills
    4 x 25 build

10 x 75 fly on 2:00 with fins (held 49-50)
    (probably should have done a 25 easy after each 75 rather than hanging on the wall)

200 EZ

3 x (5 x 50) on 1:00:

#1 backstroke:
    1-3 descend
    4, AFAP with fins (27-28)
    5, EZ DAB
    #2 backstroke kick:
    1-3 descend
    4, AFAP with fins (27-28)
    5, EZ DAB
    #3 backstroke:
    1-3 DPS
    4, AFAP with fins (27)
    5, EZ DAB
    100 easy

Total: 2700

Updated October 10th, 2008 at 05:40 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Fat Man back in the Pool 10/09/08

by , October 10th, 2008 at 12:25 PM (Fat Man back in the Pool)
    Wednesday afternoon was spent with the cardiologist on the quarterly checkup. Been swimming since 7/2 but with travel it is about 2.5 times per week. Looks like I am going to have to add more exercise into the program and start watching the calories.

Thursday Evening - New Territory Pool SCY
    300 swim
    200 kick drill
    16 x 25 sprint fr kick 1-12 on :25, 13-16 on :20 (I would love to get some breast stroke kick in one of these days)

4 x (4 x50 Free des 1-4, 2 x 25 all out, 100 ez) Sets 1 & 2 on 1:00 Sets 3 & 4 on :55, would start set at :38, and drop to :32 Not enough transition time to get out of fins, so breast pull w fly kick on the 25s.

150 warm down

2600 yards.

I was definitely tired after this one. I am hoping that we will get into some mid-distance stroke work soon.

This morning was the last PT & Massage session under the current Rx. Need to get re-evaluated by the Orthopedic MD. The shoulder is stronger that when I started on 8/27. Still getting knotting in the lats.

I will be continuing the PT Exercises and discuss lifting with the Dr. Also need to find an affordable sports massage in the area.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Friday, October 10, 2008

by , October 10th, 2008 at 11:47 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY with Carrie

400 swim (did 200 free/200 back)
    6 x 50 kick Fast on 1:15 (did 2 flutter w/ board, 2 dolphin on back, 2 breast w/ board)
    6 x 50 drill

Main Set
    4 X 200 free on 4:00; as swim 150, rest :10, swim 50 AFAP (ave. 2:05 on 150's, :34 on 50's)

6 X 50 1:00 2x(fly/back, back/breast, breast/free)
    4 X 100 back on 2:00 (was slow on these, ave 1:30)
    2 x 25 SDK shooters, 1 on belly, one on back, made it to the flags on both.

100 easy kick

2650 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Today's practice

Today only 3 people showed up for practice:
    Too bad because it was actually a really good workout:

I swam by myself in a middle lane:

I got there a few minutes early and swam a 300yd to loosen up after lifting and before the real practice started:

Warm up:
    150swim
    150 free kick
    150 im drill (no free)
    12x25 back kick @30
    I did another 50 at the end....
    total warm up: 1,100yards

Main Set:
    6x [100IM @1:30, 4x50 @:55, 4x25 @:25]
    50's: 1,4 = Fly/Bk 2,5 = bk/brst 3,6 =brst/fr
    25's: 1,4 =fly 2,5=back 3,6=breast

Rest 1minute after rounds 2 and 4

=2,400 yards

Kick Set:
    6x 100 kick @2:15 free kick w/board

=600 yards

Drill Set:
    20x50s @ :50 5=finger drag 5=catch-up 5=25 polo/25 swim 5=Perfect form
    =1000yards

Warm Down:
    100yards

total= 5,200 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Thursday, October 9, 2008

by , October 9th, 2008 at 04:27 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Workout during lunch hour
    Solo SCY

Warm up
    300 swim as 150 free/150 back
    4 x 50 flutter kick on back on 1:15 (ave :54)
    4 x 50 drill
    8 x 25 IMO on :40

Main set
    2x
    (200 free on 3:30, 50 fast fly on 2:00)
    (went 2:40-42 on 200's, :36 on fly)

4 x 75 back on 2:00 (ave. :58 This is the fastest I've ever swam this set)

2x
    (200 free on 3:30, 50 fast fly on 2:00)
    (went 2:45-47 on 200's, :36 on fly)

Cool down
    100 easy DAB and free

2300 yards

Will do 75 minute yoga class tonight.

Updated October 9th, 2008 at 04:53 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. GOALS

there is a thread up with a poll asking about a primary goal. i can't. my coach also asked us about our goals this week so i thought i would post them here as well.

your thoughts and comments are welcome.

POSTAL EVENTS
    I would like to participate in at least 2 postal events this season. The 3000 and 6000 yard postal ends on november 15. Who else is in? My goal is to swim the 6000 in 1hour 12minutes.

The 1 hour postal is the largest masters event there is. I believe it runs the month of january. I would like to hit 5000 yards.

PRACTICE
    My goal is to maintain 6 days (minimum) per week, or avg. 25,000 yds to increase to 35,000 yards in preparation for the open water season.

I would like to see sub 1:10 100's free become a "normal" practice interval.

100 x 100 on ? sometime in january.

4400 fly birthday set....mid febuary.

25k opening day at lake minnewaska. (mid june)

MEETS
    I would like to swim more meets this year. I hope to attend colony zones, new england championships and maybe nationals with lots on my team members.

TIMES
    What the hell.... lets go for it!

50 free
    personal best 24.14
    goal: sub 24

100 free
    personal best 54.0
    goal: sub 53

200 free
    personal best 1:59
    goal: sub 1:57

500 free
    personal best 5:30
    goal: sub 5:15

1000 free
    personal best 11:55
    goal: 11:00

1650 free
    personal best 18:58
    goal: 18:10

50 fly
    personal best 25.?
    goal sub 25

100 fly
    personal best 58.?
    goal: 56

200 fly
    personal best 2:16
    goal sub 2:10

[b]OPEN WATER[b]
    Swim at least 1 event greater than 20 miles. I'm thinking the tampa bay marathon or the manhattan marathon.

Swim the maui channel solo.

Swim the 2 mile Betsy Owens national championship at lake placid.

Swim at least 1, 10k event.

thats all i have for now.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. My 2nd pier swim

by , October 9th, 2008 at 02:26 PM (Mexico to Oregon Pier Swim)
    Sunday afternoon, October 4th, Linda and I drove to Pacific Beach for my second pier swim. The Crystal Pier is a wooden pier built in 1938 and is 872 feet long. The first section of the pier has Cape Cod style cottages for rent that are part of the Crystal Pier Hotel. After you pass by the cottages there are no other structures on the rest of the pier. Pacific Beach is know as a rowdy beach town, lots of sports bars, fast food joints, some hookah-bars as well as some good restaurants. You don’t see many old folks, mostly college age young people.

After a 40 minute drive we parked on Garnet St. right next to the Pier. Parking spots are hard to come by on a Sunday afternoon. We walked about 50 yards to the Pier and took the stairway down to the beach. As we walked down the steps, I could see a pier several miles to the south,. a long pier. It suddenly dawned on me that I had somehow skipped the Ocean Beach Pier . Looking down the coast towards Point Loma was a bit disconcerting. There were large waves whose crests were collapsing into the troughs at their bases and then surging their way to the shore. I studied the view from the steps and could not make out any discernable pattern or frequency in their arrivals. They came one after another, no real grouping of sets. A lifeguard was sitting in his truck on the sand next to the pier. As my wife set up her chair and was getting comfortable I walked over, introduced myself and asked him about the surf conditions. Being next to the pier one cannot help but to notice the odor of the pier, that pier smell, tar and creosote, fish. its an odd smell, but a pleasant one, pleasant because you know that you are at the beach. He told me that these waves were much bigger than normal and that there was a current working from the north to the south hitting the beach on a 45 degree angle. As we spoke a wave broke right at the end of the pier. It traveled to shore with its crest reaching the top of the piers horizontal support members that are about 10 feet above the level of the resting sea. After seeing that, I felt anxious and momentarily thought about calling the swim off. It was high tide, there were a few small clouds, the air temperature 72 and according to the Lifeguard the water temp between 60 and 65. The breeze coming off the Ocean was fresh, pure, relaxing.

I always put my Speedo on at home and over it a pair of trousers. When I get on the beach I strip down and put on my rash guard , turn on my gps , put in my ear plugs, pull on my swim cap, goggles and swimp3 player. Having everything in order I started a rapid walk into the Pacific . As I speared the water I couldn’t help but think about my safety. In the past two years I’ve swam Alcatraz twice, done the 5 mile Tour of the Buoys in La Jolla, and many solo 1 mile Ocean swims. After reviewing that reservoir of experiences I hesitantly co-signed for my safety.

Getting out thru the breakers was a chore. Having to dive under broken waves made progress slow. Efforts to establish my stroke and attain a pace, were met with opposition , in fact I couldn`t do the crawl…the waves were one after another. The water felt cool but not cold and tasted extra salty. It seemed like all my senses were working at more than 100 percent. Looking towards the pier I realized that I was about half way to its end when a moderate wave that had already broken found me and tossed me about,…not bad,. kind of fun. There was a significant, wave generated current which drew me back towards the shore. I pressed on and seemed to be making no progress… I was getting worried.

There was a lull in the action and I made recognizable progress. Moments later as I scanned the horizon, I could see a wall of green, a huge wave building higher and higher. As I found myself being delivered to the bottom of the trough in front of this wave I made the decision to swim as fast as I could straight at the wave in order to climb its face and be “safe” on the other side. This wave must have been about 15 feet from crest to trough. I was pulled straight up its face, the water was crystal clear I could see out the backside…I MADE IT THRU my heart was pounding.

Off in the distance another was forming, I swam towards it and made my way over before it had a chance to build and collapse. Now I found myself beyond the breakers, past the end of the pier and anxious about how I was going to navigate my way back without getting absolutely clobbered. People on the end of the pier had spotted me and I could tell that they were amused. Along came another huge unbroken wave which I rode up like a cork and then slid down its backside into the trough behind it. I was in the bottom of a bowl, a bowl made of water. This swell rose up and blocked the pier from view. . seconds later the pier seemed to rise up out of the water only to disappear again as a wave broke on its end sending up a geyser of water. I reached for my camera, snapped a few pictures and noticed that the water temp was 61. It was comfortable, I had no sensation of being cold.

At this point in time the music I was listening to caught my attention…David Lanz, “Behind the Waterfall”, a piano solo, absolutely soothing, peaceful new age music. It was totally out of context. “Night on Bald Mountain” or “Sorcerers Apprentice” would have been appropriate . This peaceful music reminded me to relax and to not panic. As I bobbed up and down I was continually looking for that rogue wave with my name on it,.. I knew it was out there .

I breast stroked, dog-paddled, side stroked, treaded water, did every form of swimming except the crawl as I was making my way parallel to the shore and about 50 yards past the north side of the pier. I finally got smart and floated on my back , kicking with my feet and slowly doing the back stroke. This allowed me to see what was out there. The added buoyance you receive from saltwater is a blessing. I traveled up and down the faces and backs of swells, immature waves.

It was time to head to shore, I had gone far enough north of the pier to make my journey back without getting washed under the pier. I started to turn and parallel the pier, heading home, with the pier on my left side as I floated on my back. Keeping my head towards the shore and my feet pointing out to sea I watched for the wave that I knew was going to have its way with me. When I saw no looming waves, I rolled over from my back and started swimming hard and fast but only got in about 20 strokes when I was compelled to roll back over. I was afraid of being snuck up on and blindsided. Soon I was about even with the end of the pier on its north side, and was feeling a much appreciated, yet much feared pull towards the shore.

As I looked to the shore I could see the backside of breaking waves,white foam , rooster tails of wind blown water. Looking out again towards the ocean, I could see another green wall forming taller and taller. I had finally been caught in no mans “land”, in the sweet spot for being pummeled. This one, about 10 feet tall, was just breaking as I was in the deepest part of the trough at its base. I took the biggest breath of my life and dove for the bottom. The sound underwater was deafening as the wave broke. The surge forced the camera I carry on my butt all the way down the back of my speedo to behind my right knee. I was pulled down into the depths yet toward shore,…. no sense of up or down.. After what seemed like an eternity I found the surface but was unable to make any sort of headway, I was swimming in foam, half water, half air. I was now about 100 yards from shore, I could see people on the beach. I decided that I had to sprint to the sand.

As I was just getting underway I got another pounding by a wave that had broken probably 20 yards behind me. This one pushed me down; my foot hit sand, I WAS ALMOST HOME. I swam hard, till my hand struck sand . As I tried to get to my feet I got knocked down. Suddenly I was in knee deep water,” Thank you Father in Heaven!” As I walked south on the beach and under the Pier I was struck with the fact that the ocean who had always embraced me had just giving me a display of her wildness….she’s a harsh mistress. My Garmin told me that I had just spent 23 minutes and 17 seconds to travel .53 miles.

Within a half hour we were sitting in the sun on the patio of “Gringo`s” a restaurant around the corner from the pier. Their main menu was not available till 4 so we had their buffet lunch of Mexican food. Having not been able to sample their menu, I’m reluctant to give a rating . Our waiter was pleasant, the beer was cold and the sun warm. My next swim will be around the Ocean Beach Pier. Attached is the GPS record. The pictures were not of good quality,..I`m having a photographer try to clarify them and will post them shortly. If you go to Motion Based Agent and in the upper right hand corner in "search" ..enter rvlockman and click on Activities and you will find this swim under Crystal Pier

Life is grand!!

Updated October 10th, 2008 at 02:06 PM by Ron Lockman (spelling)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Cross Training Day, Thursday, Oct. 9

by , October 9th, 2008 at 12:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    60 minute spin class

I'm having fun with the spinning. Going to try to keep in up 2x a week. Hamstrings not as sore now.

70 minutes in the gym

Did mostly light weights, some core and RC work. I'm obsessed with the double cable free motion machine. One of the trainers at my gym gave me some advice on how to do "push ups" and tricep presses different ways on the machine. (I never do push ups the conventional way.) Did some dead lifts today for the first time since July. Trying to get back to doing a few heavy weights, despite the fact that I generally dislike them intensely. Made myself stretch. I'm usually rather lazy about that.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Wednesday, October 8

by , October 8th, 2008 at 03:23 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    5 mile run

Mermaid workout:

400 swim
    300 IM drill

16 x 25 UW fly spin drill with MF (4 each on stomach, left side, right side, back)

8 x 100 dolphin kick with MF FAST on 2:00 (alternate on back and on stomach with board, held 58-1:00 -- ouch!!)
    200 EZ

10 x 50 hypoxic backstroke on 1:00, kick UW 15 meters each length and then cruise backstroke to the wall, took a 50 EZ DAB after 5 50s

100 EZ
    50 fly AFAP with fins (26.5 or so ... no digital clock)
    100 EZ

Total: 3000
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Fat man back in the Water 9/8/08

by , October 8th, 2008 at 01:56 PM (Fat Man back in the Pool)
    Missed Thursday (younger brother broke his heel and I ended up minding his 3 kids). Saturday - 8 hours of post Hurricane Ike debris clearing at Scout Camp.

10/6/08 - COM Pool - Midland TX SCY
    quick trip into town - left my fins at home

400 Swim
    2 x 100 drill
    4 x 100 free dps
    4 x 50 fly/bk
    4 x 50 bk/br
    4 x 50 br/fr
    4 x 50 BR fast
    100 easy

Note to self, travel with zoomers and ice pack.

10/07/08 New Territory Pool SCY
    stretch cord work out in AM.

400 Warm up
    12 x 50 Free descend 1-4, 5-8, 9-12 on 1:00
    3 x 100 Free constant fast on 3:00
    100 easy
    Repeat set 3 x

worked with zoomers then fins. Cut 1 x 50 on 2nd set and 2 x 50s on 3rd. Needed a little more recovery time after hammering the every fourth all out.

My shoulder was sore from the no-fins Monday and schlepping gear through the airports. I iced the shoulder before workout and afterwards.

This AM was PT, next to last session with therapist before review with the Dr. Strength is up and flexibility has improved. Still getting shoulder muscles knotted up but not as bad.

Will have to look for another sports massage option when the prescription runs out.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Wednesday, October 8, 2008

by , October 8th, 2008 at 11:32 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY with Carrie

Warmup
    300 swim, did 150 free/150 back
    3 x 100 kick, 1-2 on back on 2:10, 3 breast kick with board
    4 x 50 as 25 drill/25 swim dps
    8 x 25 on :40 IMO

Main Set
    8 x 100 on 2:00, odds IM, evens free, (ave 1:30 on IM, 1:22 on free)
    8 x 25 kick on back, on :45 done as 1/2 UW SDK - 1/2 flutter kick on surface
    (Goal was to count kicks on 1st one, then hold that count and try for more dist. Was doing 12-13 yds on 15 kicks)
    6 x 50 back on 1:00
    4 x 50 on 1:15, 1 & 3 25 fly/25 free and 2 & 4 25 free/25 fly

100 free/DAB to cool down

2600 yards

45 minute spin class at noon.

I had some extra time in the evening so I got out the Monofin and went to the pool for about an hour and did the following.

Short Warmup consisting of:
    200 swim free and back
    2 x 100 flutter and dolphin kick on back
    2 x 50 drill

Main Set
    4 x 100 kick w/ monofin on 1:45, odds on back, evens on belly w/board. (ave 1:12-15)
    4 x 50 free on :55
    8 x 25 spin drill w/ monofin on :45, by doing 4 kicks in each position, I can almost cover the entire 25 in 1 cycle
    rest an additional 1:00
    50 fly as 25 at about 90% then 25 afap. went :34
    cooldown with 200 easy free and DAB

Total 1750 y

Updated October 9th, 2008 at 01:22 PM by poolraat

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Tuesday, October 7, 2008

by , October 8th, 2008 at 12:17 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    Solo, SCY

Warm up
    300 free
    6 x 50 kick as 25 fast/25 easy
    odds flutter, evens dolphin
    6 x 50 drill

Set 1
    16 X 25 - in groups of 4 - IMO:
    #1: kick 12.5/ swim 12.5, #2 build up
    #3 build down, #4 sprint
    1 x 100 easy swim
    1 x 200 freeon 3:30
    2 x 100 flutter kick on back on 2:10

Set 2
    6 X 100 back on 2:00
    rest extra 1:00
    1 x 100 back broken as:
    50 @ 80% effort -:10 seconds rest - 50 @ 100% effort (went :37, :36)
    1 x 100 easy kick/swim

4 x 50 free on 1:00 alternate breathe
    1 x 50 fly as 25 @ 80%/25 @ 100% (went :35)

4 x 50 free on 1:00
    1 x 50 back as 25 @ 80%/25 @ 100% (went :34)

300 easy swim as 150 free/150 back

3600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Tuesday, Oct. 7

by , October 7th, 2008 at 03:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY, solo:

750 warm up (swim, kick, drills)

Hypoxic SDK set:

10 x 25 shooters with MF on :35
    1 minute rest
    10 x 25 UW fly spin drill with MF on :35 (this is one of my fav drills, hadn't done it in awhile)

Main set (one of JMiller's workouts modified)(shoulder a bit sore, swam with fins):

1 x (4 x 100 free + 50 IM on 2:30)
    1 x (4 x 100 kick + 50 free on 2:30)
    2 x (4 x 50 fly or fly drill on 1:00 + 2 x 100 free on 2:00)
    2 x (4 x 50 back on :45 + 2 x 100 kick on 1:30)

100 EZ
    50 back AFAP with fins from push (cramped) (:27)
    200 C/D

Total: 4300
    Categories
    Uncategorized