Blog Comments

Working on the same thing- committing to 3 kicks off the wall... every wall... as someone who swam distance in college and really just used her legs as ballast, this is super different. Hoping to find some ability to sprint because I have NO intention of swimming distance in masters. Keep it up and let me know if you find the secret to making the SDK off the wall a habit instead of a constant focus
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    I did see him! He's actually coaching the team that I used to swim for when my family lived in Oklahoma City, plus a college team there. It's funny, he swam in the Olympics before 99% of the people swimming at that meet were even alive. Hardly any of the kids on my team even knew who he was!
    I'm glad you got a chance to educate those wippersnappers
    'never heard of a Sectional rule about 18&U for the D final. There are a few meets around here with a 14&U D final. I tend to agree with your argument about a sectional level meet. If it's an open meet with a single set of qtims, it seems appropriate that the finals be open as well. For an age-group meet, swimming multiple age groups together for prelims but separately for finals seems like it would be a good way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    I saw Josh Davis in the results. (You beat him )
    Did you see him there?
    Must be nice to be 46 and scoring a second swim at sectionals...
    Actually he didn't get a second swim because our Sectional has an 18&U only policy for the D final lol. Personally, I think the rule is stupid because when you get to a meet on the level of Sectionals and above, it's all open swimming and we shouldn't designate certain ages from being able to participate. Also, at Sprint Sectionals, swimmers over 18 make up such a small percentage of the total number of swimmers (the number is a little larger for Summer Sectionals when all the college kids are back) that it doesn't make much of a difference anyways.

I have been screwed by this rule numerous times. I also dislike how I can never get a straight answer on it. One meet, I was 17th (back when they only took 3 final heats and the C final was 18&U) and I went up to the scratch table to see if I had been scratched into the B final. I had been, only someone had already "auto scratched" me as soon as results posted.

If you earn a second swim, you deserve a second swim, regardless of age. Not everyone wins a trophy.

/rant off
    sorry to hijack your blog post about a fantastic meet, Jeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Did you see him there?
    I did see him! He's actually coaching the team that I used to swim for when my family lived in Oklahoma City, plus a college team there. It's funny, he swam in the Olympics before 99% of the people swimming at that meet were even alive. Hardly any of the kids on my team even knew who he was!
    Did you see him there?
    I prefer pools in 65 to 75, depending on the intensity of the training.
    No, it was all good, we still won by 200 points. I checked with the coaches to make sure, because I specifically didn't want to hurt the team score when we were in the lead from the very first event.
    Congratulation on what sounds like a landmark meet for you!
    50 Breast - 26.77, 8th place prelims - Lost track of time and forgot to warm up but went surprisingly well anyway! Was hard to scratch out of a championship finals but I wanted to get home by this point.
    I hope that didn't cost your team a placing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    You mean 20:34? Don't sell yourself short, bro.
    Fixed it. Thanks man!
    You mean 20:34? Don't sell yourself short, bro.
    Go get you some!
    Actually, I just found the rules on measurement. Mizzou length is on record according to the list I found, so this'll be even easier than I thought...

"The measurement rules and policies of USA Swimming shall be the standard for Top 10 eligibility forevents sanctioned by USA-S. Currently USA-S only requires bulkhead placement measurements fornational records, so times achieved by USMS at USA-S meets are eligible for Top 10 considerationwithout bulkhead measurements. The measurement rules and policies of USMS shall apply for dualsanctioned events, so at these meets bulkhead measurements must be performed for times to beconsidered for either USMS Top 10 or Records."
    Oh, I've talked to our Top Ten person - technically, I am Top Ten person in training, actually, so I work with her a lot.

Plus one of the LMSC board members who used to do lots of USA-S meets will be there officiating so she can help. And one of the meet organizers is a Masters person. I think I'll be good!
    Your Top Ten chairperson for your LMSC usually can handle that. Ours is Doug, so he is ALWAYS on top of those things

Although there was a time when TT times required the most ridiculous burden of proof. You used to need a pool measurement for each session in which an event was contested. This was crazy most USA-S championship meets they measure the pool once, in each lane, before the start of the event. Was a huge pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Exactly how I feel about my upcoming taper for YMCA Masters Nationals.
    Now, the interesting thing is going to be maintaining through Ozark Champs last weekend of March. Though it looks like it won't take going through hoops to get my Sectionals times USMS approved so if I accidentally overtaper myself it isn't the end of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    This'll be a little different than my taper for Masters Nats last year - I have a LOT more base than I did last year, and I think I'm overall stronger, so theoretically I should have more to taper off of.
    Exactly how I feel about my upcoming taper for YMCA Masters Nationals.
    Yep, that's what I was figuring. It took me until probably my junior year of college to learn to trust the taper process and not think about how I felt until pretty much doing pre-race specific warmup before my first race.

This'll be a little different than my taper for Masters Nats last year - I have a LOT more base than I did last year, and I think I'm overall stronger, so theoretically I should have more to taper off of.
    Probably that pre-taper/just started taper blues! For me that was always the scariest part of taper, and why I hated using the word around my swimmers early on in the process. You say “taper” and they think: a) low/no yardage and easy swimming and b) that when they swim they are supposed to all of a sudden feel magically AMAZING.
    Instead, I would have to remind myself that I was still only just beginning to taper and that I wasn’t to that “easy speed” yet.

Also from one former breaststroke to a “born again” breaststroke, that stroke made taper doubly scary. There were seasons and taper meets where I went to warm up for my first breaststroke race and STILL didn’t feel tapered/didn’t have a stroke that get right. I learned to trust (eventually) that when the horn sounded and I dove in the water, my breaststroke would be ON!
    Thank you Kenny,

I never lost much general conditioning. Maintained performing lactate production sets on the crossfit type of bikes (assault, rouge). Even though my pool time was spotty, sometimes over a month, when I did go I would typically do 200 IM kicks. This meet is experimental proof for importance of kicking (at least for me).

Another odd result I found, is from all 8 free turns I accomplished at the meet, every single one was good. It was a hit and miss before.

Good luck reaching your sub-minute 100fr. That is a good goal!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast