Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by tripswim
    whose walls leave something to be desired

(yale vs davidson)
    Seeing as I care absolutely nothing for my alma mater, umm...go bulldogs?
    Updated January 25th, 2020 at 01:01 PM by Calvin S
    whose walls leave something to be desired

(yale vs davidson)
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    H.A.S. = hands at side?
    Hey!
    Amazing!
    Super!

Correct!
    H.A.S. = hands at side?
    Quote Originally Posted by tripswim
    update from teammate Trip in Baja peninsula satellite training camp

yesterday

AM

30 minute walk on beach, 20 minute jog back
    20 minute ocean swim
    swam with the dolphins (not the club team)
    skin pigmentation
    PINK
    PINK
    ROJO

PM
    sc meters
    10 x 2 on 10 sec rest

Today

Michael Andrews day (yes that Michael Andrews)
    in adult pool 86 degrees of separation
    20 x 30 meters up tempo on 15 sec rest (work on break outs and going broke in Cabos)
    excuse me sir, but this is MY blog. You are retired now and have the time on your hands to write your own blog.

also donít forget to bring me a bottle
    of tequila. Or mezcal. Or both.
    Updated January 18th, 2020 at 10:49 PM by Calvin S
    update from teammate Trip in Baja peninsula satellite training camp

yesterday

AM

30 minute walk on beach, 20 minute jog back
    20 minute ocean swim
    swam with the dolphins (not the club team)
    skin pigmentation
    PINK
    PINK
    ROJO

PM
    sc meters
    10 x 2 on 10 sec rest

Today

Michael Andrews day (yes that Michael Andrews)
    in adult pool 86 degrees of separation
    20 x 30 meters up tempo on 15 sec rest (work on break outs and going broke in Cabos)
    Why is it called Ervin?
    Short back story:

Doug Martin's (yes that Doug Martin of numerous sprint USMS National/World Records) son got Anthony Ervin to come to Little Rock for Doug's birthday a couple years ago (like literally I am told he walked up to Doug's door, rang the doorbell, and was standing there wearing his Olympic medals). It was sort of a weekend festival that got all the swimming community of Little Rock involved. He did a couple clinics (some public, some private), he came and spoke to the UALR college team (that was my last year coaching them). Anyways, I am fairly certain "Ervin" was a set of drills he said he does during practice or before racing or something (I wasn't actually there for the clinic), and to give credit where credit was due, and so the swimmers would always know what set the coaches were talking about, they designated it "Ervin."
    Why is it called Ervin?
    "These go to '11'."
    Classic line from a classic film!
    Have you seen the mockumentary 80ís movie This is Spinal Tap? Their amps volume dials went up to 11
    "Why don't you just make '10' louder and make '10' be the top number and make that a little louder?"
    "These go to '11'."

Yeah seen them all. This is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind.
    Have you seen the mockumentary 80ís movie This is Spinal Tap? Their amps volume dials went up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSad
    Calvin, can you breakdown the different steps of "Progressive Freestyle"? thanks
    #1 - fist drill
    #2 - tennis balls
    #3 - upside down paddles (have occasionally substituted Finis strapless paddles (SP) here, but prefer the upside down paddle because it really helps me feel that forearm catch, which the first two 50s are over-emphasizing)
    #4 - swim (although I have recently started doing #4 with Finis strapless fingertip paddles, to help refocus my entry and first part of the catch before the forearm gets involved).

I use a SNKL so that I can keep my head position perfect and not concern myself with turning to breathe. I also do 4 FL kicks off every wall and count my strokes, focusing on how the number decreases over the course of the 4 50s. When I have been at my best, I am usually something like 12-13 strokes on #1, 11-12 on #2, 8-9 on #3, and 9-10 on #4.
    Calvin, can you breakdown the different steps of "Progressive Freestyle"? thanks
    maverick's re-engaging sir!!!!!

welcome back man
    We both scared the crap out of each other at same time. I was watching the fish near a power plant cooling water outlet. I think the shark was doing the same until I was in view
    Updated January 2nd, 2020 at 07:38 PM by __steve__
    Congratulations! You will do fine
    Yikes - that's a shark
    Terrific accomplishments for 2019 with a bunch of firsts too. Looking forward to hearing how you are making out in 2020 and especially with the USMS committee. Keep on Trucking!
    Fantastic year for you Tim. Thatís some crazy milage, probably 3x that of what I did.
    And there's nothing really wrong with either of us. That's one thing that I like about swimming, you can make it work for what you want out of it. Some people are sprinters, and there are meets/events for that. Others like to be on their own for 3+ hours in open water, and there are events for that too.
    Fantastic year for you Tim. Thatís some crazy milage, probably 3x distance I did.
    Updated December 31st, 2019 at 06:04 PM by __steve__