View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Using times from Masters Meets for USA Swimming Purposes

by , February 3rd, 2018 at 11:36 AM (Rules Committee Blog)
    How can I get my times from Masters meets recorded for official purposes by USA Swimming?

Many swimmers ask about using their times from Masters meets for USA Swimming official purposes, such as qualifying for USA Swimming meets.

USMS (the meet director or an official from the LMSC) must request approval from USA Swimming to have the meet observed by USA Swimming for this purpose. This is not routinely done and is normally reserved for championship (LMSC, zone, national) or other large meets. A key requirement is having a sufficient number of USA Swimming certified officials
    available (normally a minimum of four officials with at least two designated observers) to judge the events for conformance with USA Swimming rules.

If you think you have a need to record your times for this purpose, check with the meet director well in advance of the meet to ask if the host intends to apply for USA Swimming observation.

2. How do I get my split times officially recorded?

by , February 3rd, 2018 at 11:34 AM (Rules Committee Blog)
    How do I get my splits officially recorded?

With championship meets on the horizon, many swimmers are interested in recording relay leadoff or initial splits in individual events for official purposes. Split times can be used for official purposes, including national qualifying times, top 10 times, and records, or just to record a time to measure your performance. It is good to review the rules to ensure that your splits will count for official purposes.

What are the timing system requirements for recording splits?

• An initial split or a relay leadoff split can be used for a world record if the split is timed with automatic equipment or, in the event of a touchpad malfunction, with a semiautomatic backup system consisting of at least one button.

• An initial split or a relay leadoff split can be used for a USMS record if the split is timed with automatic equipment (a touchpad). If the touchpad fails, the leadoff split cannot be used for a USMS record.

• An initial split or a relay leadoff split can be used for a USMS Top 10 time if the split is timed with automatic equipment, a semiautomatic timing system with a minimum of two buttons, or at least two valid watches.

When do I need to submit a request to have my split recorded in the official results and how do I do that?

You must submit a written request prior to your swim for relay leadoff splits and for initial backstroke distances in a longer backstroke event. We ask for a written request prior to these events so that officials can be notified and can judge the intermediate turns and relay exchanges appropriately. For all other initial splits in individual events, you must submit a written request prior to the end of the meet. Check with the meet director to obtain a split request form. In most cases, they will usually have them available at the check-in table when you arrive at the meet.

What if the meet announcement states that splits will automatically be recorded?

The rules allow for the meet host to automatically record some or all splits if the host desires. For national championships, automatic splits are mandatory, so your split times from all individual events will automatically be recorded and included in the official results, with the exception of backstroke events. Automatic splits may also be recorded for relays provided that officials are assigned to judge the exchanges and ensure that the second swimmer does not start in the water or stand on an active padand that the automatic timing system is properly functioning.

If a meet host chooses this option, the meet announcement must state for which events splits are going to be automatically recorded. No written request is required for these events. For all other events (and, in all cases, backstroke individual events or an initial backstroke distance in the leadoff leg of a medley relay), a written request is still required. Check with the meet director if you are unsure based on guidance in the meet announcement.