View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. This has been a long week!

by , January 23rd, 2009 at 07:29 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    When I remember that I was at 2 early start meets last weekend. It's no wonder I am feeling it this evening. That said I got most of my work done today:
    Am Swim:
    500 FR
    4 x 50 K IMO 1:20
    4 x 50 D IMO 1:30
    4 x 50 S IMO 1:00
    6 x 100 FR 1:45 Swam with buddy who took me on a good desc ( I just can't do it alone) think we went sub 1:25's on the lot...maybe down to 1:20 for the last.
    2 x 100 EZ
    3 x 200 3:15 I kicked the last with fins...I'd had it!
    1 x 100 EZ
    8 x 25 :30
    4 x 50 EZ

Break Swim:
    4 x 50
    12 x 25 K :45 no fins ev 4th fast. I had legs-o-lead today!
    4 x 50 Snorkel; Working catch and arm swing timing.
    4 x 50 Paddles; Working same as above.
    4 x 50 BR Drill; Hip thrust down/ full swim back.
    4 x 50 cool SBR/DAB (submerged BR/Double arm BK)

Post Work:
    40 minutes elliptical...HR >140.
    4 x 20 crunch machine.
    Oh, and I'm getting a massage tomorrow!

Updated January 23rd, 2009 at 07:42 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Nausea vs. Hope

by , January 23rd, 2009 at 04:41 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Very short vlog today, with only a tiny bit of swimming relevance.

As perhaps the most sickly human being in Christendom, I find myself having to tighten my esophageal sphyncter by pure force of will to keep today's foodstuffs--one (1) cold leftover grilled pork chop; the remainder of a carton of cottage cheese; a frozen and semi-thawed Gatorade, red color; and a packet of GU--from making their egress from my stomach in the wrong direction.

Will this keep me from going to swimming practice?

No, one thousand million times no!

I am made of sterner, albeit more nauseated, stuff.

To bolster my resolve, I will take comfort from the new wind blowing across the fruited plains, which promise to minimize the ruination to come and help us overcome the ruination we have already been subjected too.

I say, put the scalawags into the debtor's prisons, and let us debtors get to spend our incarcerations in the country club prisons where the CEOs used to go.

Criss cross, guy! Criss cross!

With any luck at all, I will be put into a California prison with a swimming pool, where I can represent the prison league in masters competitions with other incacerated but well-meaning debtors nationwide!

On this note, my twin brother's latest filmic homage to our times: a real charmer featuring young Cameron, the same little vunderkind who appeared in the classic "Sunk" video posted a while ago.

Enjoy!

BORKED
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Aerobic Free/Back

by , January 23rd, 2009 at 12:59 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    11:00 AM to Noon at the Downtown YMCA (SCM)

Warmup
    Twice through -
    150 free
    50 one arm back
    50 one arm free

Four times through -
    • 2x75 free on 1:25 (went 1:10 on the first (oops) and about 1:15 to 1:16 on the rest)
    • 2x50 back on 1:05 (I barely made these and had to do free/back on one of them)
    • 2x25 free or back kick on :45
    4x100 fr/bk/fr/bk on 2:15 (My backstroke felt very strong on these (to me at least) and I finished them all just under 2:00)

Warm down
    2x75 on 1:30

2450 meters

Notes: My backstroke feels lopsided. I don't roll to my right very well so my left shoulder doesn't get out of the water like I think it should. Despite how the sense of flailing on my backstroke, my coach tells me it's improving and I can make a majority of the intervals assigned. It's just completely fatiguing! I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Now if I just improve faster than SwimStud, I may be able to beat him at something!!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. FAST FRIDAY

by , January 23rd, 2009 at 12:29 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Fri Jan 23rd 2009

trying to decide whether to do the postal swim or not tomorrow
    That is the work out

I think the little pain in my left upper shoulder / lower neck is from sleeping, didn't hurt much today

will blog todays practice at:
    http://andesswimmingblog.blogspot.com
    short cut to Ande's Swimming Blog
    http://TinyURL.com/AndeSwim

NEXT MEET: USA Swimming Austin Grand Prix Austin TX
    March 5 - 7, 2009
    41 days away
    Meet format: Short Course AM, Long Course PM
    Meet Events: Thursday, Friday, Saturday
    http://www.utexas.edu/longhornaquatics/meets
    MEET INFO IS UP

5:30 - 7:00
    Whitney coached
    SCY swim center diving well NO Blocks
    swam beside Todd, Tyler, Chris, Doug & Max
    dove in at on time

WARM UP
    1000 done 75 fr 50 IM 75 fr 50 k

put on FS PRO JAMMERS

5 x 100 fr on 2:00 best ave
    dove
    went 57's & 56

100 easy on 2:00

4 x 100 fr on 2:00 best ave drop 1 sec
    dove
    went 57's & 56

3 x 100 fr on 2:00 best ave drop 1 sec
    dove
    went 55's & 56's

2 x 100 fr on 2:00 best ave
    dove drop 1 sec
    went 55's

100 fr on 2:00
    went 53

5 x 50 fr on 1:00 best ave
    push
    went 28's & 29's

50 easy on 1:00

4 x 50 fr on 1:00 best ave drop 1 sec
    dove
    went 28's

3 x 50 fr on 1:00 best ave drop 1 sec
    push
    went 28's

100 easy on 1:00

2 x 50 fr on 1:00 best ave
    push drop 1 sec
    went 26's

50 fr on 1:00
    dove
    went 23

50 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Friday 1/23 - Sprint Day or was it...

by , January 23rd, 2009 at 08:02 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    This was not the workout I had planned but since they had the pool SCY instead of the friday usual LCM I had to pick a different workout.

I just felt like I couldn't get moving today. Kicking wise I did great, the arms just wouldn't move.

2x300 @ 5:30 Free
    10x25 @ 1:00 Sprint 4 fly(held 20), 3 back(held 22), 2 breast(held 25), 1 free (16)
    100 @ 3:00 IM for time 1:25
    2x200 @ 4:30 Free 1/2 Pull 1/2 Kick
    8x50 @ 1:15 2 of each stroke
    14x25 @ :45 free kick every 3rd fast went 25, 26, 25, 27
    100 @ 3:00 Free for time 1:15 felt slow
    8x25 @ :45 free kick every other fast went 25, 26, 25, 24
    2x50 @ 1:30 Free for time :36, :35
    4x25 @ :45 free kick fast held 25
    400 free EZ

Total 3100 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Iwannafly in Erlangen

by , January 22nd, 2009 at 11:23 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Theme: It's a small world after all.

When I swam last year with Team Pitt Masters in Pittsburgh, I got to know a number of incredibly nice swimmers from not only Western PA but all over the world. Two such fellows are Yiu Law and Bodo Reitz (no relation to Heather, I am pretty sure). Yiu, pronounced "You," is originally from the Far East; Bodo is from Germany.

Here is a picture of the three of us after practice one winter night as we prepare to go out into the cold:

Bodo recently moved back to Germany to work for Siemens, I am pretty sure, or some other company that uses extremely smart physicists for medical imaging technology type work. He told us where in Germany he was moving back to, but I don't spreken zee Deutsch all that well myself, and it didn't sound like Munich, Berlin, or Hamburger, so I was pretty sure I wouldn't know where it was even if I could remember it.

Time moves forward.

A couple days ago, I got wind through Leslie Livingston that our mutual friend TJ Morton--see picture below with TJ on the right and Aquageek on the left:

--anyhow, I got wind that TJ, whom I'd met at Colony Zones SCY Championships in years past, was moving to Germany for 2-3 years starting next July.

As sad as this is for us Americans, I figured the Germans would be very encouraged by TJ's immigration. I decided to email three swimming friends--Bodo, who I knew resides now somewhere in Germany, and Lydia & Craig Holley (alas, no pictures available) who used to work for military intelligence in Germany and swam there on a masters team for a number of years.

Even as I tip-tapped out my email, I figured the chances were tiny either Bodo or Lydia or Craig would know of swimming possibilities in TJ's future town of Erlangen, which I personally had never heard of and figured it must be some Bavarian backwater where villagers with rakes and torches still hunt wild boars and fear vampires.

Bracing myself for ridicule--"You know, Jim, Germany is a large country, how are we supposed to know masters swimming teams in--what did you call it? Erlangen!!!"--I nevertheless did what I figured was my duty: connect TJ with a replacement group of like-minded aquatic buddies in the pacified Fatherland.

Here is what I wrote:

Dear Bodo, Craig, Lydia, and TJ,

A quick word of introduction:

TJ Morton is a great guy I have become friends with at USMS swimming meets in the D.C. area. He is moving to Germany this summer and is trying to figure out the masters opportunities there.

Bodo, Lydia, and Craig are all swimmers with ties to both the Pittsburgh area and Germany. Bodo just moved back to his native land; Lydia and Craig lived in Germany for many years before relocating here to Sewickley.

I am not sure exactly where Erlangen is, but if you guys could drop TJ a line and let him know any advice you have for him swimming in Germany, we would both be very grateful.

Thanks!

--Jim

Within a couple hours, Bodo wrote us back:

Hi TJ,

this is Bodo writing, I just moved from Pittsburgh back to Germany early last year, actually I ended up just in the same area you are heading to - some 12 miles away from the 50 m indoor pool in Erlangen (although I usually go to the pool which is located 1.5 miles away from my apartment).

So this should already demonstrate that there are plenty of opportunities to get into the water - within city limits of Erlangen there are at least two indoor facilities (open in winter) and several outdoor pools (open in summer) and most villages around have public pools as well. The Roethelheimbad (50 m indoor pool , open the whole year around plus an outdoor facility in the summer) is actually close to the Areva site.

This is a link, to get a few pictures of the public pools in Erlangen:

http://www.erlangen.de/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-152/

(sorry, only the navigation is available in english, the description itself is still in German)

There are several swim teams in Erlangen, I don't know them, but I am sure that they have either a masters program or another program you like - I will check the next time I go to the pool (I happen to have training in Erlangen this week) for a list of teams, and whether they have their own web site.

Feel free to email me any questions you might have about the area, I am happy to try to answer them.

Later,

Bodo

By the time I found Bodo's letter in my email box, TJ had already replied:

Thank you Bodo. I am very excited about moving to Europe. As a matter of fact, the ONLY thing holding me here has been my masters swim team and the friends I have made at meets.

As the time for us to move approaches, I will have more questions. I believe that we will visit in May for one or two weeks to find a place and to see the area. Most of the American AREVA employees that I know of, live in Nurnberg, but we would enjoy living in a small town in the countryside too.

I look forward to meeting you.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

T.J. Morton

Thanks, Bodo.

TJ, Bodo is an incredibly nice guy. I had no idea that he had moved so close to where you are going, but now you will know a wonderful friend when you and your family are in Germany!

Small world!

--Jim

All,

Erlangen is just outside, (north), of Nurnberg....like most German cities it will have a swim club with a website and contact info. Masters swimming in Germany is everywhere, very well developed, and lots of fun. let me find their website with contact numbers and I'll get back to you.

Craig

their website is http://www.ssg81erlangen.de/training.htm,

their masters group is run by
    Jürgen Thiel, they have contact info etc on the site.

Jim,
    Thanks again for putting me in touch with Bodo and Craig. I will miss my swim team and meet friends, but I'm sure I'll make new ones. Plus, it's only 2-3 years.
    See ya' Jim,
    T.J.

Time and again, it truly amazes and inspires me how our goofy sport of plodding back and forth in the water seems to unite and cement friendships in people who would otherwise have a nil probability of ever even seeing, let alone meeting each other.

TJ, AKA, Iwannafly, please do stay in touch with all of us here on the forums and let us know about your new German swimming friends.

Epilogue:

I actually saw Craig's wife Lydia at the Y pool today. She hadn't seen the emails, but when I explained the situation, she told me she LOVED swimming masters in Germany. "They don't really get into the training so much as over here," she told me. "You might have scheduled practices two times a week. But they REALLY get into the meets. And the food they prepare afterwards is all home-cooked andwonderful."

Lydia also said that the Germans are extremely fastidious about their suits. The moment they finish a race, they take off a wet suit and put on a dry one. The men, she says, change on the deck! They wrap a modesty towel around their waists, drop the wet suit, then shimmy the dry one up unseen.

TJ, perhaps you might want to practice this maneuver at home before moving.

I was going to go onto Babelfish http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt and translate this whole page into what would surely be unreadable German. But I see that, as always, I have gone on a bit long in my vlog today!!!

Or as TJ might soon be saying this, Aber ich sehe, dass, als immer, ich auf eine Spitze lang in meinem vlog heute gegangen bin!!!

So, I shall just end with a few more pix gleaned from the Erlangen masters web site. These evidently show a bracing summer meet in a land thus far untouched by global warming:

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Triple, Thursday, Jan. 22

by , January 22nd, 2009 at 06:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Worked all morning, but had the afternoon clear until 4:30 -- a rarity. Took advantage and did a triple -- run, weights, swim.

First, went on a 5 mile trail run. I haven't been running since Dec. 25. Very unusual for me, but the cold weather has just turned me off. Today, it broke 40 and was sunny.

Drove to the Rec Center and lifted weights for 25-30 minutes. (see, Q, ). Intended to go swimming there, but forgot my swimsuit. Argh. Had to drive home to get it and go swimming in the hot gym pool instead. Ripped off and remixed a set that Chris did yesterday.

SCM, solo:

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

10 x 25 UW fly spin drill w/MF

Main set:

4 x 100 IM @ 2:10, broken at the 50 for 10 seconds (used this to get the heart rate up)
    4 x 50 back @ 1:10, @ 200 pace
    (went 39ish)
    100 EZ
    2 x 200 dolphin kick @ 4:00 w/board & MF, break at 50 for 10 seconds
    (went 32, 32, 33, 34 on both 200s. these hurt. had to do a 50 EZ after)
    4 x 50 fly @ 1:10, @ 200 pace
    (went 32s with fins)
    100 EZ
    4 x 100 back @ 2:10 w/ fins, broken at the 50 for 10 seconds
    (went 35-36 for first 3 and 34-35 on last one)
    (ran out of time for the last set of 4 x 50s)

200 C/D

Total: 3000 meters

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:28 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  8. Short and sweet..

by , January 22nd, 2009 at 04:10 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Felt tired today. I guess my routine is taking a bit of adjusting too.
    I still managed a nice stretch off 1200 though:

4 x 50
    200 K
    with board no fins
    4 x 50

4 x 50 Bk 1:30 went about :50 working form if you've seen my backstroke you know form is a vague description!
    8 x 25 Fr on 1:00 went 12's and 13's took extra :30 on the last and I think went a high 11 or low 12. Either way I think my 50 should be faster than :28.xx
    4 x 50 cool off free... incl 1x 25 of underwater.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 25 SDK FAST went 10.1

by , January 22nd, 2009 at 01:46 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Thu Jan 22nd 2009

have a little pain in my left upper shoulder / lower neck

March 5 - 7, 2009
    42 days away
    MEET INFO IS UP

6:30 - 8:00
    Whitney coached
    SCY swim center main pool, NO Blocks
    swam with Andrew Todd & Mike
    beside Ned doug tyler Mike Lovato
    dove in at on time

900 done 150 sw 50 k 100 fist closed

400 fr 80% went 4:29

rest 45 sec

400 fr 80% went 4:26

rest 45 sec

400 IM drill

400 fr 85% went 4:23

rest 45 sec

400 fr 85% went 4:21

rest 45 sec

assigned 400 done 50 best 50 worst
    did 200 done 50 fr 50 br
    got out put on FS PRO jammer

400 fr 90% went 4:14

rest 1:45 sec

400 fr 90% went 4:14

rest 45 sec

400 choice
    chose easy / skipped some

assigned 8 x 125
    did 8 x (50 fr easy, 50 rest, 25 SDK from a dive fast/easy speed 4 belly 4 back
    held 12's & 13's)

50 easy

25 SDK FAST
    roll start
    whitney timed
    went 10.1
    wore FS PRO JAMMERS

50 easy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. B3 is Hypoxic

by , January 22nd, 2009 at 12:19 PM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY solo
    Today's workout included some hypoxic swimming. Was supposed to be breathing every 5-7. Ha!! I'm doing good to make it through the set breathing every 3. So my goal was to breath on a 4/3/4 pattern.

Warmup
    1 x 300 choice, did half free and half back
    4 x 50 drill did the usual ft drag, catchup, fist swim and 1-arm drills

Main Set
    4 x 125 on 2:15 100FR+25(IMO)

6 x through
    (1 x 100 on 1:30 + 1 x 50 on 1:00)

Swim 100's Hypoxic – B - 4/3/4
    Swim 50 FAST Breathe Whenever
    I managed about 4 at my goal breath pattern then started sneaking a few extra breaths on each of the last two. Averaged about 1:23-:24 on the 100's, :35-:36 on the 50's

8 x 50 on 3:00 for each 2
    Odds free AFAP from the blocks
    Evens easy free
    Went :28-:29 for the fast ones

Cool down
    8 x 50 on 1:30 easy kick, drill, or swim

Total: 2,700 Yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Thursday 1/22 - Lost my workout card

by , January 22nd, 2009 at 07:36 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Midway thru my workout the card with my workout on it fell under the gutter grate and floated away. Most of this is from memory since I had read the workout several times before starting this morning.

8x50 @ 1:00 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick
    3x100 @ 1:45 Free with paddles and bouy Desc 1-3 went 1:32, 1:26, 1:19
    5x100 @ 2:00 Free 1/2 pull 1/2 kick
    3x200 @ 3:30 Free with paddles and bouy Desc 1-3 went 3:02, 2:52, 2:36

8x50 @ 1:05 Free right arm only with paddle
    (this is were the card went sailing)
    8x50 @ :55 Free paddle on right hand only 4 kicks on the paddle hand
    8x50 @ 1:05 Free left arm only with paddle
    8x50 @ :55 Free paddle on left hand only 4 kicks on the paddle hand

100 Free EZ

Total 3500 yards

PS. to my kids and masters team members, yes you will be doing this one tonight.

Updated January 22nd, 2009 at 08:50 AM by Donna

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. I'm in the mood for IM day!

by , January 21st, 2009 at 09:08 PM (The Labours of SwimStud)
    Arrived at the pool about 5:05am, and got in by 5:15.

400 Fr/Non FR by 100 on 8:00 did Back for Non Fr
    2 x 300 IMO Drill/Kick/Swim on 5:00
    4 x 150 FR 2:30 I was coming in around 2:00
    8 x 50 IM transition 1:00
    4 x 100 IM 2:00 went 1:35 and 1:40
    2 x 200 Kick/Swim Ch by 50 did some stroke not full fly!
    4 x 50 swim down.

Late morning stretch off:
    4 x 50
    12 x 25 K :45 every 4th AFAP
    4 x 50 Pull Snork and Fin
    4 x 50 Swim Snork
    4 x 50 No Gear as follows:
    50 Fr
    2 x 25 Fly b/c my stroke felt crappy earlier
    50 Fr
    25 Fly
    25 DAB

After shift I hit the elliptical for 40 HR>140, and then did leg press, bench press and pull downs before a bit of yoga ball.

Updated January 21st, 2009 at 09:21 PM by SwimStud

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. got a foot cramp today

by , January 21st, 2009 at 04:35 PM (Ande's Swimming Blog)
    Wed Jan 21st 2009

lifted weights this morning, if I want to swim faster I need to get stronger

March 5 - 7, 2009
    43 days away
    MEET INFO IS UP

Weights
    Lat press 8 x 35 8 x 40 8 x 45 6 x 50 6 x 50
    lat pull 8 x 165 10 x 187 6 x 195 5 x 205
    bench press 12 x 135 10 x 165 8 x 175 5 x 185
    leg press 8 x 180 8 x 270 8 x 320 8 x 320
    leg curl
    leg extension
    Incline crunches

today practice was 7:45 - 9:00 and I comitted to coach San Marcos High Rattlers 8:15 - 9:15 so I missed the A.M. workout

Noon to 1:00
    Amy coached
    SCY swim center main pool, NO Blocks
    swam with Dale Huggins
    beside Max Davo & Jenn Walker
    dove in at on time

200 fr
    200 fr
    100 k went 1:18
    100 k with more streamling went 1:10

assigned 8 x 150
    1 fl bk br
    2 bk br fr
    3 br fr fl
    4 fr fl bk
    5 - 8 were pull
    did 4 x 150 swam 25 free 25 where I pushed off hard and worked the SDK
    5 - 8 did 2 x (50 sw 50 rest 50 swim)

assigned 600 done 50 k 50 dr 50 sw
    did 4 x 50 k
    did #4 SDK pretty fast
    got a foot cramp on the first 25
    still went 28.2

100 easy
  14. Wednesday, Jan. 21

by , January 21st, 2009 at 03:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    SCY, solo:

The lanes were more crowded than usual today. Several lanes were closed due to installation of new drains pursuant to the Pool & Spa Safety Act. Interestingly, none of our local pools seem to have been closed for any time due to the statute. In any event, I had to do less fly than I had planned on.

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Kick set:

12 x 100 kick, descend 1-4, 5-8, 9-12 to fast
    50 EZ between sets

1-4 = dolphin kick on back with MF @ 1:45
    5-8 = backstroke kick @ 2:00
    9-12 = dolphin kick w/board @ 1:45

Didn't go quite as fast as usual on these. Still felt fatigued from last night's workout. My fastest MF 100 was :57.

200 EZ

Lactate set:

5 x 50 @ 3:00 AFAP backstroke with fins,
    50 EZ after each
    went about 26.5ish on each
    wanted to do more, but my stomach has been a bit queasy since last night. hope it doesn't presage something worse ...

100 EZ

Technique work:

10 x 50 @ 1:05
    odds: breaststroke working on pullouts, hinging, lunging and neutral head position
    evens: fly drill, 3 l, 3 r, 1 both

100 C/D

Total: 3400

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:27 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Pilot for Pug Power Project

by , January 21st, 2009 at 03:27 PM (Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton)
    Baby girls and baby boys
    ready for pick up in eight weeks.

--excerpt from a recent Pittsburgh Post-Gazette ad for AKC-registered pug puppies

BORKED

A couple quick additional notes to the above:

1. I posted the following thread on the regular forums, but in case anybody missed it, I shall repost here. It is my request for master swimmers and their pugs pictures for an upcoming photo assemblage for which today's vlog is a teaser: For some peculiar reason, it seems that a lot of the nation's top masters swimmers are also pug owners.

Ande Rasmussen, Kristina Ulveling, Heather Rietz, and--well, ah, me--are all owners of at least one and in some cases multiple pugs.

I am hoping to do a little vlogumentary about the curious connection between swimming and affection for flat-nosed little dogs.

If you are, or know, a swimming pug owner, would you consider sending me some photos (resolution 640 x 480 at least) showing you and your quadrapedic wards. Please include your name, your dog's or dogs' names, and any theories you may have about the link.

The photos do not have to show pugs in the water, or wearing goggles, or decked out in a matching Speedo and Zoomers with its owners. But you can certainly send such pictures if you have them.

Send to Jamesthornton1@comcast.net or post them on your FB and/or USMS photoalbums. Just let me know where I can find them, and I will do my best to make your pug famous!
    2. On an unrelated note, if you have not already seen these blogs, I highly recommend anyone who has considered weight training as an adjunctive performance booster for swimming to read Chris Stevenson's trenchant (is this a word?) and fair-balanced analysis at http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=1105 Ditto for Leslie The Fortress Livingston's equally trenchant (again, assuming this is a word) and fair-balanced (maybe a little less so than Chris's; after all, we hypochondriacs are subject to wishful thinking and placebo effects) comments, which I shall paste here: Here's you answer on the other issue, copied from my blog:

I see you're trolling around for answers on this question. For me, they make a huge difference. I think the key factor in my improvement since Austin is weights. And I still don't do them frequently enough or with heavy enough weight. Much as I'm not fond of them, I will probably carry on with the endeavor through Indy. Ande calls weights "free speed". The ranked swimmers on my team (guys anyway) all lift. You should be lifting for general health and fitness anyway or you'll have the gradual erosion of muscle mass problem.

Kick sets are likewise a a staple for me. I do them for two reasons: they save my shoulders and they are essential for sprinters. However, I think they're key for your fav 200 free as well. Most elite 200 freestylers, kids and masters that I see, have a constant 6 beat kick. I've seen some without it of course, but many of the best have it. I think ehoch commented on this in his "speed zone" thread. I think my ability to do a decent 200 back as a drop dead sprinter is due more to my kick work than my training in general.

If you're looking to improve your swimming (and you've improved a lot in the last year with Bill's workout despite the buboes), these are the obvious two areas for you to work on.

16. Aerobic short Axis Day

by , January 21st, 2009 at 01:03 PM (TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!)
    11:00 AM to Noon at the Downtown (SCM)

Warmup
    300 free
    100 im drill
    100 back kick
    7x50 fly/breast drill on 1:10
    (Fly/Breast drill is 1 arm right fl, 1 arm left fl, 2 strokes br without breathing. So, breathing only on the 1 arm fly and trying to keep the same rhythm and undulation (or frequency and amplitude for those science and math people out there)).

4x75 fl/fr/fl on 1:40 - I did one arm fly for all of these and finished them all right around 1:25
    4x100 fr on 1:45 - I finished the first one in 1:35 and the last one in 1:35. I didn't read the workout thoroughly enough, because after the first 100, I went straight into the next set. My lane mates corrected me and since I was leading the lane, we missed a 50 and got an extra 45 seconds of rest. They gave me a hard time to look good in front of the coach, but were secretly glad for the extra break.

4x75 br/fr/br on 1:45 - I finished these in 1:30.
    4x100 fr on 1:50 - I went 1:38 for each.

Warmdown
    4x50 fr on 1:10 with 3 strokes bk off of the push and the turn.

2450 m assigned, I only went 2400 - What a slacker!!!
    Notes: I still feel like I have a slight pull in my groin. My coach has been working on me keeping my knees narrower and it feels like it isolates the groin muscles more! Does anyone else have this experience?

Updated January 21st, 2009 at 03:49 PM by Iwannafly

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Wednesday, 1/21/09

by , January 21st, 2009 at 11:45 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY With Carrie

Warmup
    1 x 300 choice
    6 x 50 kick on RI :15
    4 x 50 drill on RI :10

Main Set
    4 x 150 on 2:45 broken as follows:
    Swim 100 pace free, RI :10 then 50 free fast
    (did 100's at 1:25, 50's at :35-:36)

2 x 150 kick, broken as follows:
    Kick 4 x 25 RI :10sec., moderate effort, then kick 50 all out. (went :50, :45 on all out 50's)

4 x 200 on 3:15, as follows:
    #-1-3 pull with paddles & buoy
    #4 swim free, no toys

Focus on these was hand entry and catch

Cool down
    1 x 50 DAB
    1 x 50 easy kick

Total: 2600 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Tuesday, 1/20/09

by , January 21st, 2009 at 11:37 AM (A comfort swimmer's guide to easy swimming)
    SCY Solo

Warmup
    1 x 300 Choice
    4 x 50 Kick 25 dolphin/25 flutter on RI :10
    3 x {4 x 25 on :45, 1-4 fly, 5-8 back, 9-12 free

Main Set
    8 x 25 Fly Drills, did head lead dolphin, hand lead dolphin and 2/2/2 drill

1 x 50 free Easy
    1 x 50 fly ALL OUT 50 for TIME (Roll start from starting blocks, went :30.35)
    1 x 100 Easy
    Rest 1-2 minutes

2 x (4 x 50 free on :55 held :35's)
    4 x 50 back fast on 1:30, held :37's

Cooldown
    1 x 200 easy swim

Total: 2000 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. strait of magellan

rachel's last blog entry said today is the day they will make the attempt to swim the strait of magellan. why should i be nervous? ...... don't know...... but i am.
    i think this attempt illustrates the limitless possibility of determination. great things can be accomplished within the universe of swimming that aren't tied to fractions of a second or weighed against others in a competitive environment.

this entry is for rachel and cristian and team.

read the blog at:

http://www.rachelgolub.blogspot.com/
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Wednesday 1/21 - Heavy Fly and Back

by , January 21st, 2009 at 07:37 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Today was a heavy fly and back day. Felt great compared to this past weekend. Timing is everything and as masters swimmers we know that we are not always at our best when the meet rolls around.

400 Free Pull

9x50 @ 1:15 1/2 pull 1/2 kick fl/bk, bk/br, br/fr

4x25 @ :45 Fly with fins
    100 Fly with fins
    200 Free EZ
    250 Fly with fins

500 Back Pull with paddles and board

8x50 @ 1:10 as 25 Fly/25 Back with paddles
    4x25 @ :45 Fly with fins
    100 Fly for time went 1:39

400, 300, 200, 100 @ :30 Rest Free Pull with paddles and bouy went 5:55, 3:55, 2:44, 1:20

100 Free EZ

Total of 3700 yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized