View RSS Feed

USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Meet / OW event planning and results from USA Swimming events.

1. Saturday 10/6/18

PM SCY @ Hendrix College "Bob Courtway Invitational Day 2"

600 swim eery 4th 25 scull w/ SNKL

500 FR - 27.75/30.77 [58.52] 31.36/31.94 [1:03.30] 32.46/32.71 [1:05.17] 32.83/33.31 [1:06.14] 33.55/32.55 [1:06.10] (5:19.23)

So I got to the meet late and expected it to be running behind schedule. Instead they were 10 minutes ahead of schedule. Then the gutter swallowed my brand new cap! I had to scramble to find one before my race. I had no time to get a proper warm up in so it was really hard to get going.

400 EZ

Total: 1500
  2. Friday 10/5/18

PM SCY @ Hendrix College “Bob Courtway Invitational Day 1”

400 swim (100 FR/100 BK)
    4x75 @ :20 rest FL k/dr/sw
    4x50 @ :15 rest 25 FL build/25 FR smooth
    4x25 @:15 rest V.S. FL
    200 EZ

200 FL - 28.35/31.97/32.90/34.60 (2:07.86)
    Not very aggressive going out. Definitely felt my catch slip big on the last 50 yards. Does make me excited to get some serious SCY FL training in this fall!

300 EZ

Total: 1700

Updated October 6th, 2018 at 11:53 AM by Calvin S

Categories
  3. Sunday 7/8/18

AM + PM LCM @ UALR "Mary Grace Tucker Memorial Invitational Day #3"

400 swim (100 FR/100 BK)
    3x100 @ :15 rest k/sw/dr/bld
    4x50 @ :55 D1-2 in pairs (:34, :34, :31, :32)
    100 EZ

200 FR - 2:13.14 (1:03.07/1:10.07) - Not a great race. Felt too rushed on the first 75 meters. I also blew out my LZR jammer about 10 minutes before the race, so I did this event and the 400 FR in my Nike brief.

500 EZ

**Intermission**
    The 400 FR had its own separate session at 1:00 pm today. I met up with my family for breakfast after the 200 FR and then went back to the pool to stretch and warm up again for the 400.

200 swim
    4x50 @ :10 rest
    odd: k/dr
    even: dr/bld

2x50 @ 1:00 @ 400 PACE
    200 SMOOTH focusing on good strong kick outs and break outs.

400 FR - 4:39.92 - (31.5/34.8/35.6/35.8/35.9/35.2/36.2/34.6) - While it didn't feel as great as the 800 on Friday (nothing else felt as good as that all weekend!), I was pleasantly surprised by how well the race went. I wanted to definitely be under 4:40 since I was out in 4:40 in my 800, but given the way my 200 felt this morning, I was a little apprehensive going into the race. If the 800 was my hardest event I did all weekend, today was easily the hardest day. Racing a 200/400 FR double in what was basically one elongated session, and the final day of the meet, was very taxing. If I could do it all over again I might have bagged the 200 FR to be more rested for the 400, but whatever, a lifetime best is still a lifetime best!

Total: 2800

SHOUT OUT: Trip Strauss, who came to watch Marvin Schwartz (and maybe me?) swim the 400. He was gracious enough to be my backup timer as well. I wish you could have been racing the event with me, Trip

Updated July 9th, 2018 at 11:44 PM by Calvin S

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events , USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  4. Saturday 7/7/18

AM LCM @ UALR "Mary Grace Tucker Memorial Invitational Day #2"

600 swim (200 FR/100 BK)
    6x50 @ :10 rest
    odd: k/dr
    even: dr/sw

2x100 @ 1:30 PINK/RED
    4x25 @ :35 V.S.
    100 EZ

100 FR - 58.80 - A good race, but not a great race. I spun my wheels too much on the opening 50, and I switched to breathing every 4th stroke too early on the second 50. I also got caught up in what the swimmer next to me was doing instead of swimming my own race.

200 BK - 2:39.33 (1:16.57/1:22.76) - This was my throw-away event. I just wanted to see what I could go in a race I don't normally swim, while being shaved and tapered. Man do I not like backstroke!

Add in about 1400 assorted warm up and warm-down during the course of the meet.

Total: 3000
  5. Sunday 6/17/18

AM LCM w/ BASH @ M.E. Lyons YMCA “Cuda Classic Day #2”

Groin still sore today, but still decided to wake up early and get some more racing in.

400 FR - 4:54.03 (32.7/36.4/36.6/37.2/37.3/37.6/37.9/38.0) - Opening 100 felt great, and I started to feel like I was getting from 3rd gear into 4th gear on the second 100. However then the piano started to fall on my back. I definitely felt labored on the last 150. A combination I am sure of still being out of shape and also being exhausted from last week’s training.

Total: ~1800

Four more days of “training camp,” and then I’ll take a rest day on Friday when I drive home.

Updated April 26th, 2019 at 02:19 PM by Calvin S

Categories
    Swim Workouts , USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  6. Saturday 6/16/18

AM LCM w/ BASH @ M.E. Lyons YMCA “Cuda Classic Day #1”

Had a good warm up at this meet and was really looking forward to seeing how I raced after a week of heavy training. However, while warming up for the 100 BR, I felt my groin start to go. Bummer. Had to scratch the event. Really thought I had done a good job with strengthening and conditioning my hip adductors and abductors, but it appears I need to work harder at this.

200 FR - 2:17.05 (31.5/34.5/35.6/35.7) - Missed my first turn and really lost my kick the last 40 meters. It’s the fastest time I have gone this season, but not by much. I was expecting a little better out of myself in this event.

Total: ~ 1600

Updated June 29th, 2018 at 05:26 PM by Calvin S

Categories
    Swim Workouts , USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  7. Sunday 6/10/18

AM LCM w/ Blue Ash YMCA @ Miami University of Ohio "BASH/PCY Summer Classic Day #3" (or Day #1 for me)

Back in Cincinnati visiting my folks. Due to trip preparations and an untimely thunderstorm/power outage, I was unable to swim Friday. I was travelling all day Saturday so no swimming that day either. I was a little apprehensive about how I might swim having not touched the water since Thursday morning and coming off a 9 hour drive in the car, but I was pleasantly surprised.

100 FR - 1:00.54 (28.85/31.69) - I was a little slow on my start, and flipped 6th at the wall, but really came charging home on the back half to finish second in the heat. Kick felt great. I need to be more aggressive going out. My lifetime best in the event is only 58.2, so I am going to aim to beat that when I shave and taper.

100 BR - 1:19.04 (36.55/42.49) - This was my throw away event. I haven't raced breaststroke in 4 years. Felt in control for the first 50 (but not that fast). Definitely lost my catch and stroke and sank really low in the water on the last 40 meters. While my freestyle is coming along nicely, my breaststroke is going to need a lot of work in the coming months to get back to racing shape.

Total: 3000

I am in Cincinnati for two weeks and will be using it as a mini training camp with the club team. I am entered in another meet for next weekend.
  8. Friday 5/18/18

AM LCM Solo @ LRRC
    PM LCM Solo @ LRRC + UALR "End of School Invitational Day #1"

AM swim:

12x100 w/ fins odd: FR, even: BK
    4 @ 1:45
    4 @ 1:40
    4 @ 1:35

3x50 @ 1:05 FR kick w/ BD
    2x50 @ 1:00 FR kick w/ BD
    1x50 @ :55 FR kick w/ BD

4x50 @ 1:00 swim w/ SP + SNKL

1x50 @ 1:05 FR kick w/ BD
    3x50 @ 1:00 FR kick w/ BD
    2x50 @ :55 FR kick w/ BD

2x50 @ 1:05 FR kick w/ BD
    1x50 @ 1:00 FR kick w/ BD
    3x50 @ :55 FR kick w/ BD

Total: 2700

PM swim:

400 swim
    4x150 @ 2:30 k/dr/sw w/ fins
    8x25 V.S.
    4 @ :30 swim
    4 @ :40 FR kick w/ BD

2x50 @ 1:00 FAST "200-ish" (:32, :32)
    200 EZ

Hopped out of pool and rushed over to UA-Little Rock pool to swim:

200 FR - 2:17.29 - No splits at the moment. Sort of disappointed. Thought I might be a little faster than this given my two great weeks of training and the 200 coming on the first day of the meet (as opposed to the last day two weeks ago). Then again maybe it wasn't that great because of the last two weeks of good training. Also in all fairness, even more so than backstroke, for whatever reason, the 200 FR, yards and meters, is definitely my worst event. Because of this maybe I shouldn't expect that much from it!

Total: 1700
  9. LCM Racing Starts!

by , May 30th, 2016 at 03:04 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I think my vacation and work travel plans will prevent me from being around Arizona for most of, if not all of, our AZ Masters meets this summer, so I took the opportunity to swim the 1500 this morning at the Scottsdale Aquatic Club's USAS Cactus Classic. This is the first year I've attended this meet since 2005 without a child swimming and without me having a significant volunteer role in putting the show on, so it was very nice to be able to roll onto the deck with only racing to think about. I cajoled my youngest daughter into coming along as my timer with the promise of seeing her old swimming friends and bacon for lunch!

I was in the second fastest heat of boys/men and had entered my fastest time from the summer of 2014, 18:18.18, but not my very fastest time of 17:49.08 from 2011. I was in lane 2 and there was a kid next to me in 3 seeded at 17:38. You never know what teenaged boys will do, especially at the start of the season, I just determined to swim my own race and see what happened. While he went out ahead of me through the first 500, I started to catch him in the second 500 and had pulled ahead of him by around the 1200. My core was hurting pretty badly by that point and, after a couple of failed attempts at the start of the 13th and 14th 100s to pick up the pace, I resolved to just hang on until the last 50 and then see what I had. He had caught me by the 1450 and we both pushed hard on the last 50. I managed to prevail by 0.6 seconds and recorded my second best ever Masters 1500 at 18:10.81. I was super pleased with the time as, back in June of 2011, I had started the season at 18:15 and then hit the 17:49 later in the summer. I am hoping that I can race this at least two more times this summer and, if possible, do the last one with some rest, shave and a fast suit.

Splits were pretty solid by 300s - 3:34.32, 3:39.20, 3:39.65, 3:41.36, 3:36.28 - and by 500s - 6:00.45, 6:06.07, 6:04.29.

On yeah, yesterday, I had done my 100 SCM fly for Stage 2 of the Swimtathlon and was 1:07.28.

The rest of June looks pretty light from a racing perspective. I hope to swim the 400 IM at a USAS meet on June 25th, but I don't see my weekends permitting any other racing until then.
  10. Workout 07/18/15: morning OW

by , July 19th, 2015 at 12:30 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Up early this morning for a swim at Woodford State Park, and it was just Greg and myself to enjoy the solitude of the overcast and rather gloomy morning before some rain moved in. We did a quick swim of 0.6 miles. Off to help my father-in-law as he and his wife renew their vows, then I will get some lawn work done (if the grass drys out) and finally to Manchester with my son for a Led Zeppelin tribute band tonight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07 18b.jpg 
Views:	1115 
Size:	303.4 KB 
ID:	9800
    (Greg embarking on our journey)

BORKED
    (Short clip from today - notice that the water is almost tea-link in color due to the high tannin content. Wild to swim in)

[I am still having issues with water droplets on the housing of the GoPro. I guess I will have to try some rain-ex, or maybe the shark spit I use in the goggles from time to time. I would also be interested in an suggestions for mounts.]

Updated July 21st, 2015 at 12:48 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , USA-S Swim Meets / Events , Open Water
  11. USAS Meet Day 2

by , July 12th, 2015 at 05:04 PM (After a long rest)
    I decided to scratch the finals last night and focus on being a dad. As much as I like racing I also thought this is a lot of kids main summer meet and as such me taking a finals spot was not the right think to do. Instead I had fun watching my daughter swim and have fun. Despite being slightly slower in her final she had a lot of fun.

I had a good night of sleep but this morning seemed to come too early. I did my normal warmup with some pace 50s and felt a little stiff. I notice this as a master when I swim multiple days where I get stiffer as the meet goes along. When I was younger I could do day after day with little to no ill affect. The mind still says I can do it but the body is fighting as hard as it can. Never mind. From here on out its a battle of mind over body.

Today I swam the 100 back and the 50 free. I felt really strong on the 100 back until about 85 meters and the last 15 hurt pretty bad. My splits were good although I think the second 50 could have been .5 or so faster if I had not tired. I went 1:05.6. I was pleased with this. Some rest and it will be interesting to see how fast I can go at Nationals. I have not swum a LCM back since I have been back, so I have nothing to compare this against which is actually kind of fun!

I was looking forward to the 50m free and thought I would have a good race. I had a great start and felt strong the whole way but when I looked up I went 26.2 which I was disappointed with. Tom said I had a great first 25 but my tempo dropped on the second 25. Despite the slower time I still had fun. Like last night I scratched the finals and will be dad again at finals tonight. My daughter is swimming the 100 back.
  12. USAS Meet

by , July 11th, 2015 at 10:47 PM (After a long rest)
    This weekend I am swimming in a USAS meet with my daughter. I am swimming Saturday and Sunday while my daughter swam all three days. I must admit I was jealous of her and would have loved to do the 100m free and the 400m free yesterday; alas I had to work.

My daughter who is 11 has had an awesome weekend so far doing best times on everything she has swum; 50 back, 100 free, 400 free, 200 free, and 200 back. In particular her 2:46 LCM 200 back was awesome dropping another 3 seconds from her entry time. It was great seeing her have fun with her friends with about 10, 11-12 year old girls dancing on the bulkhead ahead of finals.

I swam the 200free and the 200 back and did masters best in season times on both going 2:07.1(I thought I saw 2:06.9). Amazing how just the wrong side of 2:07.0 makes such a difference. I would have really like 2:06.9. My splits were great. My 200 back I went 2:21.7 which was over 3 seconds faster than I did at the this meet last year and again my splits were strong. I am swimming the 100 back and 50 free tomorrow. I plan on really attacking both events!

I start my taper at the end of next week which I am looking forward to. My endurance seems pretty good right now and I am really looking forward to some fast swims in a few weeks.
  13. SwimJitsu and Swim Sedona

by , June 22nd, 2015 at 09:03 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    This past weekend was full of swimming and fun, but so much fun that I was completely wasted and sore by the time Sunday evening rolled around. I jumped in my pool this morning before getting on a flight to San Francisco, with the intent of doing a stretch out 1,000, but almost couldn’t move my arms and ended up doing a 100 IM kick without a board. I’ll do some light yoga at my Airbnb pad tonight and see if I have the energy to swim again tomorrow morning.

Saturday night at the Swimjitsu Races
    I highly, highly encourage anyone who has an instance of SwimJitsu (www.swimjitsu.com) coming to a pool near you to do it. My three daughters and I signed up for the evening wave, 6 to 8pm, and the event was held at the fabulous Phoenix Swim Club pool. Think of this as a water-borne combination of the TV shows Wipe Out and American Ninja Warrior, a big obstacle course of inflatables interspersed with a smidgen of swimming. This is run by USASwimming and is part of their (stupidly named, IMHO) #FunnestSport campaign to grow the base of swimmers. They had four earlier waves during the day that were only open to 18 & unders, but we wanted to do this as a family and the night wave allowed for all ages.

I ended up running the course 4 times over the about 2 hours we were there, but probably could've gotten in a couple more runs if I hadn't stopped to video tape my older two daughters on one of their runs and also done another kickboard obstacle course against my youngest daughter, where she once again proved herself the superior kicker. I did two of my main SwimJitsu runs with her, as well, and she bested me on both of those. Nothing like getting smacked down by a 12 year old, 4'9" girl to make a big man feel small!

Fortunately, I gained some 'course wisdom' on those runs before facing off against my older two daughters and managed to redeem a small portion of my ego by beating each of them. Here's me and my middle daughter:

https://youtu.be/3t6mZecTxmI

It is A LOT harder than it looks.

We all had a blast doing this and I was really happy to see many ages represented. I was talking with one of the Phoenix Swim Club Masters coaches as we walked out and we both agreed that this would be a blast to do at the end of a Masters meet. We need to get a future host of Nationals to have an optional extra day of Swimjitsu competition.

Sore & Sorry Swim Sedona Sunday
    I got up bright and early on Sunday to get up to Sedona for the 8am warmups for our Masters meet there. While the time was early and the sun was bright, my body was sore and slow. While I knew I was using muscles I was not used to using during my SwimJitsu runs the night before, and I was huffing and puffing on each of the runs, I didn't realize how hard I had worked at having fun until I rolled out of bed Sunday morning. Forget an achy breaky heart, I had an achy breaky body. But, what the hell, I thought, as I was really looking forward to swimming at one of the most beautiful pool settings I've ever been to ...

... and had the time off to do it.

I didn't feel much better in warmup and wasn't all that excited about the 1000 that I had entered. I saw that Kurt Dickson was entered, but hadn't seen him around warmups and so I made a deal with myself - if Kurt showed up, I'd try to hang with him; if he didn't, I'd try to swim a 1000 IM. Kurt did show up, I did try to hang with him, but by the 75 or maybe the 100, neither my heart nor body was in it. I just had no energy or motivation to push this. Kurt lapped me around the 700 or so and I got it into my mind that I'd try to hang with him then, but I gave up that ghost after less than 25 of trying. I felt really bad for not at least giving him some semblance of a racing partner, but that's what I had for the day.

I did enjoy the rest of my swims and the meet, but, with the exception of a halfway acceptable 26.1 in the 50 fly, the times were pretty pathetic (e.g., 2:14.3 in the 200 IM and 1:02.4 in the 100 IM when I've never gone above 2:10 or 1:00 in ANY Masters meet in those events). I can't tell if it was the SwimJitsu, the altitude (Sedona is about 4,500 feet above sea level) or the fact that I've just come off two great weeks of training both in the pool and out of it. But, whatever, it was an AWESOME, fun swimming weekend.

Updated June 23rd, 2015 at 01:28 AM by pwb

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events , USA-S Swim Meets / Events
  14. LPA USAS Meet

by , December 14th, 2014 at 06:33 PM (After a long rest)
    I swam the LPA meet in our home pool today. Linda Price Applewick was a coach in Rockwall and masters swimmer at Rockwall Aquatic Masters who passed away from Pancreatic cancer 5 years ago. The meet is very special to all those who knew Linda and is very well attended. This year Linda's mother and husband attended and they received a terrific reception.

Today ii was signed up to swim the 200 free, 50 free and the 1650 free. I ended up withdrawing from the mile due to having been gone the past two weeks, and then traveling this week, and not wanting to be a sore zombie before heading out of town again.

I showed up a little late for warm up but still managed to get my normal meet warmup and actually felt pretty good in the water. The meet ran very quick and before I knew it the 200 was up. I was seeded with my 1:48.05 from my shave meet in January and this was the fastest seed. I was not nervous this week and felt good ahead of the race. I had a great race and won the heat by about 6 seconds going a masters best time of 1:46.90. My splits were right where I hoped they would be, going 24.97, 27.13,27.41,27.39.

I just about had time to grab a quick warm down and then I had the 50 free. Technically this was a bad race with a slow start, bad streamline, crappy turn and another bad streamline, but still a masters best of 22.51. If I ever want to really be competitive on the 50 short course I need to work on some fundamentals like reaction time and streamlining on my starts and turns. The same thing happened today that happened at worlds and my hands separated on my entry. I think I have a lot more I can do to improve on this but I am likely not going to focus on this event for nationals.

I am stoked about the 200 free and all the pain I went through training to do this swim and last weekends swims was worth it. That all said I am dreading the thought of more of the 16x50s at 200 race pace and 16x100s at 500 race pace. I plan on swimming some longer yardage aerobic swims while in Atlanta this week and then sitting down with Tom next Friday and discussing Christmas training and starting to think about training for Nationals. Scary to think we only have 4 months til Spring Nationals. I suspect we will do some base building over Christmas and then start building up on the race pace work again. I am not excited about the thought of the training but if it pays off its going to be worth it.

Never ever thought I would be excited about aging up, but I am.
  15. USAS - Race Level 3 Meet

by , October 26th, 2014 at 01:18 PM (After a long rest)
    Since my daughter aged up to 11/12 she has no longer got BB and A times in her weaker events so this weekend was a meet where she swam off strokes and new events. I don't have many events I can swim at this level but decided to swim the 100 fly this morning. I realized when I signed up that I had never swum a 100scy fly before(even in college). Growing up in England I swam scm and did the fly in that form many times. Yesterday my daughter did her first 200 breast and 200 fly and did awesome. This morning we headed to the pool together(this is my favorite part of the swim dad experience). She and I are very close but the drive to the meet is always special and this morning was no exception; we spoke swimming but she also told me she was proud of me but would be more proud if I did the 200 fly now she had done one.

It's a little awkward at these meets since I am the only master at them but I did the kids warm up off to the side. I try to let the kids be kids and not interfere; it seems to work best. I felt very sore from yesterday but did loosen up finally.

I was in the 10th event of the session and when it was my time to swim there was a mixup in my lane and I was not ready when the timer told me to step up. I did what I was told and it was fine but I was the last on the block and was not quite ready. As it turned out I swam in the wrong heat. That said I swam well and felt good until the final 10 yards and ended up going 56.x I could not see the .x but think it was 56.63. I hoped for a little quicker but I always do. It's hard to argue with a best time. I enjoyed the race and will swim it again. With some more training it could be an interesting event when I age up next year. I am also looking at a meet in the spring to do a 200 breast, 200 fly and 4 IM. My daughter beat me to them but I think I owe it to her.

Another fun fun day at the pool. I keep asking myself, why did I stop for 22 years?

Updated October 26th, 2014 at 01:31 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
  16. USAS North Texas Division 2 Level 3 Meet

by , October 5th, 2014 at 06:47 PM (After a long rest)
    First it's weird now how these meets are named. They used to be so and so meet but now they have this division level business. Anyhow today I had a USAS meet at my home pool in Rockwall. My daughter swam both days in the afternoon and I decided to just do the one session this morning where I signed up for the 200 back and the 500 free. I did not realize how fast the meet would run and it seemed like I had no rest after the 200 back before the 500 free. In reality I probably had an hour, but it did not feel like it. Despite being very stiff and sore from yesterday I had a great meet and I was very pleased with how I swam.

200 back - 2:02.39 splits 28.73, 31.17, 31.61, 30.88.
    500 free - 5:01.26 splits 27.0, 30.4, 30.7, 30.5, 30.6, 30.4, 30.4, 30.3, 30.5, 30.1

The 200 back was 4 seconds faster than I swam last season and to the best of my knowledge is a life time best(I never swam this in college). I have yet to swim this event rested and shaved.

I had optimistically hoped to go under 5mins on the 500 but alas I was just off. What was most exciting about both swims was the consistancy in my splits. This is a great time for this early in the season and I will take a lot of confidence from this swim going forward.

My my daughter had an awesome day too, with big drops in her 200 back(8 seconds) and her 500 free(42 seconds). She dropped time on every event today which was exciting to see.

Updated October 5th, 2014 at 07:06 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
  17. Race Report: 2IM & 1500

by , July 6th, 2014 at 10:43 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    The real race I came to swim at today's installation of the Arizona Senior (USAS) State Championships was the 1500, but I figured I may as well do the 200 IM as a 'rev-up' race-pace warmup. That IM was, in retrospect, probably a little too close to the 1500 as I was still feeling a bit of it as I got on the blocks for the mile, but that makes the result all the better.

200 IM
    • Master's best: 2:22.62 (Omaha '12)
    • June 8th, 2014 time: 2:25.79 (Southwest Classic)
    • Today: 2:26.32
    • As I had had a three day drop taper ahead of the Southwest Classic last month, my goal was to just equal my time from that meet. I really think that, had I not come to almost a complete standstill when I totally tied myself up in the lane line at about the 25 mark of the backstroke, I would've been almost spot on that time. Aside from the backstroke flub, this felt well-executed and I'm cool with the result.

1500 free

• Master's best: 17:49.02 (AZ Senior States, July 2011)
    • June 12th, 2014 time: 18:32.23
    • Today: 18:18.18
    • While I really loved the symmetry of the time and I am happy with the swim, I was really hoping to get this under the 18:15.36 I had gone back in June of 2011 unrested and untapered. I was also hoping to have had someone to race against, but a couple of kids in my heat took off from the start and went 17:45s and everyone else fell behind me pretty quickly, as well.
    • This was another well executed swim for me, with the 300s very even at:
      • 3:34.7
      • 3:40.3
      • 3:41.7
      • 3:41.5
      • 3:39.8

• and the 500s as 6:02.0 - 6:08.4 - 6:07.7
    • This still hurt like a beast and I could really benefit from training some long course, but I am definitely starting to re-find my long lost love for this race (it was my favorite back when I was 16 and under).

Looking ahead from here ...
    • Week of July 7th
      • Get another solid week of training in this week, with hopefully one or two long course workouts in California
      • Race some events next weekend at the Masters Heatstroker at Cactus Pool (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1044&smid=5801) -- we're already up to a whopping 46 online entries.

• Week of July 14th
      • Transition to speed-oriented workouts and kind of start a taper, with a focus on the 200 and 400 free

• Week of July 21st
      • Complete a full taper ahead of the AZ State Meet at Tuscon (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...2094&smid=5733)
      • I will probably only swim on Saturday and have entered the 200 & 400 free, as well as the 50 backstroke. There's a chance I'll be able to come back for the events on Sunday, but it's slim.

Updated July 7th, 2014 at 01:20 AM by pwb

Categories
  18. Race report: 400 IM

by , July 5th, 2014 at 06:10 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    I strolled into the hot, ASU Mona Plummer Aquatic Center around noon today to race my 400 IM at the AZ Senior State Championships meet a little less than an hour later. While the thermometer officially only read about 100 degrees, the deck felt much hotter than that. Thankfully, the great chiller system on the competition pool was cranked to the hilt, making the race water temperature pretty darn perfect.

I didn't have much expectations for this swim other than to beat the 5:09.99 I had gone almost exactly a month ago in Tucson (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?332...cked-myself-up). I figured a 'peak swim' would be to beat the 5:03.89 I had gone mid-June of 2011 (http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?5013...gcategoryid=30), but wasn't going to get too hung up on the result given that my only bit of rest was yesterday's 1,500 meet warmup swim; other than that, I have cranked a pretty hard week of training.

Result: 5:07.64 with pretty good splits on everything except the backstroke:
    • Fly - 1:08.85
    • Back - 1:20.67 (e.g., I was 1:18.8 in June)
    • Breast - 1:29.72
    • Free - 1:08.40

My fly and free felt strong, as did the first 75 of my breaststroke. I pulled something in my right leg over the last couple of days and it only flares up in breaststroke, but I could definitely feel the power fading from my kick as the pain intensified over the 100. The only part of the race I'm disappointed in was the backstroke. I was trying to negative split each 100, but was probably too lazy on the first 50; they didn't have pads at both ends so I'll never know what the splits were. The finishing leg at 1:08 gives me some confidence that I can hold 1:12/1:13s on my 1500 tomorrow.

Putting that swim into perspective, it's my 5th best Master's performance, so not shabby.

1. 4:58.10 - Omaha Nationals 2012 (tapered & shaved)
    2. 4:58.12 - SPMA Champs 2011 (tapered & shaved)
    3. 5:03.89 - PHX Invite, June 2011 (unrested)
    4. 5:06.99 - Victoria, March 2011 (mostly unrested)
    5. 5:07.64 - Today
    6. 5:07.89 - UC Irvine, June 2012 (unrested)
  19. Exceeding low expectations

by , June 28th, 2014 at 05:21 PM (Of Swimming Bondage)
    After feeling like a blob in the water last night, I wasn't expecting much from my attempt at my 400 IM test set this morning. Performance relative to expectations was off the chart; performance relative to past efforts was pretty darn good, as well.

Warmup sets (1,750 set)

• 1 x 400: IM, kick-drill by 25
    • 4 x 100: on 1:30, free descend swim w/snorkel (1:21, 1:19, 1:15, 1:11)
    • 4 x 100: on 2:00, IM kick descend, odds w/board, evens on back (1:42, 1:39, 1:37, 1:36+)
    • 6 x 50: on 1:00, #1 and #6 cruise free, #2 to #5 IM order build
      • 0:34+, 0:37, 0:42, 0:32+ vs. June 1st effort of 0:39, 0:40, 0:44, 0:32+

• Small break to make and shoot another shot of espresso
    • 6 x 25: on 0:35, going 5-6-7-8-5 AFAP strokes off the wall then cruise for the first 5, then all fast on #6; wore Zoomers
    • 1 x 100: easy

400 IM Test Set (2,050 set / 3,800 total)

• 8 x 50: on 1:00, 2 each stroke, build the odds and make sure the evens are at your target 400 IM race pace
      • In SCM, my dream is to approach the 4:39.8 I did in 2008 in a tech suit. That race was split 1:03.8, 1:11.5, 1:21.1, 1:03.4 so target 50 times would be 33.5 (2nd 50 of fly), 35+ (back), 40+ (breast) and 31+ (free)
      • My SCY splits to dream of would be 29+ fly, 31+ back, 36+ breast, 29.0 free
      • 09/17/13 - 35+, 35, 42, 33
      • 09/23/13 - 33, 35, 40+, 31+ (much better!)
      • 10/06/13 - 34, 35, 41, 32 (a little sluggish)
      • 10/10/13 - SCY - 29, 30+, 36-, 28- (awesome)
      • 10/17/13 - SCY - 31, 31+, 37, 28+ (sluggish start, OK finish)
      • 10/27/13 - 33, 34+, 41, 31- (much better than expected)
      • 10/30/13 - 33, 34, 40+++/41---, 31-
      • 03/04/14 - SCY - 30, 32, 37, 30 (only fly feels good)
      • 03/15/14 - SCY - 29+, 32, 36, 30 (felt pretty cruiseful)
      • 04/01/14 - 0:33, 0:35, 0:40+, 0:32
      • 04/14/14 - 0:33+, 0:35+, 0:41, 0:31+
      • 06/01/14 - 0:33+, 0:35, 0:42, 0:31
      • 06/27/14 - 0:34, 0:35, 0:42, 0:32

• 4 x 100: on 1:50, do as 100 IMs, descend to your target race pace divided by 4, ideally starting on #1 no slower than 12 seconds above that
      • SCM target would be to descend from 1:22 to 1:10
      • SCY target would be to descend from 1:14+ to 1:02+
      • 09/17/13 - 1:23, 1:22, 1:19, 1:14
      • 09/23/13 - 1:21, 1:19, 1:15, 1:12+
      • 10/06/13 - 1:21, 1:17+, 1:14, 1:12-
      • 10/10/13 - SCY - 1:11+, 1:10, 1:07, 1:03+
      • 10/17/13 - SCY - 1:12, 1:09, 1:06, 1:04
      • 10/27/13 - 1:21, 1:18, 1:15, 1:11+
      • 10/30/13 - 1:21, 1:18, 1:14, 1:12
      • 03/04/14 - SCY - 1:08, 1:06, 1:07, 1:06+ (I forgot these were supposed to be descend and started hard)
      • 03/15/14 - SCY - 1:09+, 1:09, 1:05, 1:03++
      • 04/01/14 - 1:21, 1:19, 1:14, 1:13
      • 04/14/14 - 1:20, 1:18, 1:13+, 1:11
      • 06/01/14 - 1:22, 1:20, 1:15+, 1:13
      • 06/27/14 - 1:20, 1:18, 1:14, 1:11+

• Masters Minute during which I did an easy 50 kick
    • 2 x 200: on 3:20, build each stroke on #1, try to make #2 at your target 400 IM race pace divided by two (e.g., 2:20 in SCM, 2:05+ in SCY)
      • 09/17/13 - 2:49, 2:38
      • 09/23/13 - 2:49, 2:33
      • 10/06/13 - 2:45, 2:33
      • 10/10/13 - SCY - 2:28, 2:13+
      • 10/17/13 - SCY - 2:26, 2:15
      • 10/27/13 - 2:43, 2:32
      • 10/30/13 - 2:41, 2:30+
      • 03/04/14 - SCY - 2:24, 2:22
      • 03/15/14 - SCY - 2:27, 2:15
      • 04/01/14 - 2:47, 2:36
      • 04/14/14 - 2:48, 2:30
      • 06/01/14 - 2:43, 2:32
      • 06/27/14 - 2:43+, 2:31

• 4 x 50: active recovery, on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, 1:30
    • 1 x 400: IM on 6:00, AFAP, from blocks
      • 09/17/13 - 5:36 (ugh-o-rama)
      • 09/23/13 - 5:15
      • 10/06/13 - 5:10 (1:11, 1:19, 1:30, 1:10)
      • 10/10/13 - SCY from push - 4:36 (1:05, 1:09, 1:20, 1:02)
      • 10/17/13 - SCY from push - 4:38 (couldn't see splits in the sun)
      • 10/27/13 - 5:20 (1:13, 1:21, 1:32, 1:14)
      • 10/30/13 - 5:12 (1:14, 1:20, 1:28, 1:10)
      • 03/04/14 - SCY from push - 5:02 (if only the pool was SCM)
      • 03/15/14 - SCY from push - 4:40
      • 04/01/14 - 5:21 (no splits)
      • 04/14/14 - skipped it
      • 06/01/14 - 5:13 (from dive)
      • 06/27/14 - 5:08 (from dive) <= BEST EVER on this set

• 4 x 50: active recovery, on 0:45, 0:50, 0:55

TOTAL: 3,800 SCM

Commentary:
    • I guess all of the longer stuff and harder stuff I've been doing when I train with Peter is starting to pay off - my speed wasn't anything particularly great today, but the 400 straight at the end was really solid. I think the fastest I have ever gone on a 400 IM in workout is 5:04.
    • My summer work schedule has changed significantly and this will have benefits for my swimming:
      • My trip to India has been pushed off from early July to early September, due to a greater need for me to be at some key client meetings stateside in July.
      • What this means for my swimming is that I'll be able to train more consistently this summer and be able to race more.

• Here's the revised racing plan:
      • July 5th & 6th - I've entered the 200 & 400 IM and the 1500 at the Arizona USAS Senior State Championship at ASU. I think I should be able to swim each of these events.
      • July 12th & 13th - I've entered a full boat of 8 events at the Swim Devil Masters Heat-stroker meet at Cactus (https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1044&smid=5801). We're already up to 31 entries, so this will be a huge meet compared to the recent one at Flagstaff. I might not get to swim everything as #3 daughter has her regional meet down at Kino/Mesa the same days. Fortunately, the Masters meet is an AM session and her meet is a mid-day session, so I'll get to race something.
      • July 26th & 27th - I've entered events on both days of our AZ State Meet in Tucson. If I can keep my training up, I'll go ahead and taper and shave for this. I'm still not sure if I can be there for both days, so have entered events on each day that will make me happy should I only get to one day of the meet.

20. The old lady made finals

by , June 21st, 2014 at 09:22 PM (Mixing it up this year)
    This is the second time I made finals but it wasn't in 200 fly which most kids and adults don't want to do twice.

My 100 free was about the same as last year 1:18.58. The 200 back was also about normal at 3:22.81. My 50 back was 44.80 in prelims and 44.58 in the C finals those were my third and forth fastest times! I actually thought I went slower in finals but that was not the case. A rather successful day.

I must say my body does not recover as well. Might need some
    Ibuprofen tonight.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast