View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Mon. June 16 - 5 More Days

Continued taper with Peter this morning. Working on getting up to sprint speed and then did a broken sprint 200. Have to get my body used to sprinting.

6x100 4-Free; 2-Back
    8x50 Kick Hard/Easy on 1:15
    2x50 Back
    8x25 - Drag start/work on turn
    50 Free
    4x50 Hard/Easy - Free/Back
    4x50 Easy/Hard - Free/Back
    Broken 200 - 10 sec rest per 50 (2:48 > 2:18)
    6x50 Back/Free w/paddles

2250 yards
    80 minutes
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Workout 06/17/13: evening

by , June 17th, 2013 at 09:09 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, Emma is home. The van ended up giving my wife some problems, leading to a rental for half of the trip and me driving down to Exit 17 of the NYS Thruway after work on Friday to swap vehicles. Ended up getting home around 2am, then worked Saturday. Then I was treated to a nice supper after work for Father's Day. Hopped in tonight for a swim:

4 x 1000 with a Master's Minute between:
    - 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM Drill/4x50 B/c on 1:00/200 Kick
    - 500 Noah's Ark pull with snorkel/5 x 100 on 1:30 w/ agility paddles
    - 250 pull/100 kick/150 agility paddles/5 x 100 IM on 1:50
    - 4 x 125 (75 DPS, 50 IMO) on 1:55/5 x (50 kick/25 skull/25 dill)
    Solo/Rec/4000 yds/72 min)
    ----------------------------

Good to get back into the water after a long weekend off. Feel like I have caught up on sleep a bit and will plan to double tomorrow and Friday with additional swims on Wednesday before work and with the team on Saturday. Watching The Hobbit now; well, maybe just half of it tonight!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Fail, Mon., June 17

by , June 17th, 2013 at 05:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    600 EZ + another *&^%*$#?** kid poops in the pool. I really hadn't intended to take a day off. I will miss a day already on Wed when I'm in Pittsburgh checking on renovations. All I can say is -- how is it that these mothers haven't heard of the swim diaper?!?! The place is an oven too. I just hope I have some better summer swim options in Pittsburgh. Off to first summer league swim meet of the year!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. 4|17|13 LCM

WARMUP
    1200 free/drill

WORK
    10 x 100 on 3:00 as 50 fast / 50 easy
    strokes/time (for the fast one)

1. 34/42
    2. 38/39
    3. 38/38
    4. 40/36
    5. 38/37
    6. 38/37
    7. 39/36
    8. 40/36
    9. 40/36
    10. 43/36

200 free WFSP

200 back WF

4 x 50 on 2:00 FK

• 30.8M easy kick / 19.2 fast (negative splitz)

100 free WFSP easy

50 fast / 50 easy WF

Strength Training
    • 10 minutes: rows, lunges, and dips supersetted 4X through

Right posterior deltoid still giving me trouble, so my fast swimming wasn't an all out sprint swim, just my max effort without sprinting, if that makes sense. I could feel it twinge a little on the final strokes in each wall for the fast efforts, but I managed to keep it under control. Definitely a fun and relaxing recovery swim tomorrow.

Right ankle slightly better but still hurts while kicking properly.

Been loaded down with broken aircraft at work lately, lot's of heavy labor. Been busy in the yard at home too.

I weigh 163 lbs

Updated June 27th, 2013 at 02:49 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -06/18/2013

by , June 17th, 2013 at 03:00 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    4 X 100 1:45 1:40
    1 X 200 3:30 -
    Two rounds. Round 1 intervals left, 2 right

4 X 100 kick 2:20
    1 X 100 swim

4 X {4 X 50 Descend 1-4
    Rounds 1/3: free on 1:00
    Rounds 2/4: stroke 1:15

8 X 200 pull 3:20
    Descend 1-4/5-8

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy

4300M
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. 06.17.13 - Monday workout

by , June 17th, 2013 at 10:50 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ my son and Dave C next to Dave B and Sam. Felt pretty bad today. That's either my 6th day taper blues or from working on my car last night. Either way, I wasn't quite as fast today.

SCY

600 Warm up

8 x 50 Kick w/ fins - 1:15, 25 SDK Fast/25 easy
    50 Easy

8 x 25 - :45, drag start, 12.5 fast, snappy turn, 12.5 easy
    50 Easy

8 x 50 - 1:30, down hard, back easy, focus on good turns

Broken 100 Fly (1:10 - :34.5, :35.5) Not terrible but I think I can do better than this. Really hurt on the last 10 yards.

200 Cool down

(2000 total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Strait of Juan de Fuca: Tides & Currents

by , June 17th, 2013 at 10:36 AM (Please tap on the glass)
    Heads up: there’s some math in this one.

If you think knowing the tides and currents is all there is to planning a swim, you’re wrong. But if you think you can plan a swim without knowing the tides and currents, well, good luck. Even on training swims, currents play a big part (see Fig. 1). The methods presented herein are my own, developed over the past year and largely untried in the real world. This swim will either be a joyful validation of my methods, or a long, cold, learning experience.

Figure 1: The effect of various currents on an out-and-back swim loop

Adverse currents were cited as the reason for stopping in numerous historic articles about past swims. The reason why is clear when you look at a map. The Strait of Juan de Fuca, connecting the Puget Sound and Salish Sea to the Pacific Ocean, has currents ranging from 3kt flood to 3.5kt ebb swirling along the rocky shorelines, playing Plinko with the San Juan Islands. To get a good feel for the overall movement patterns, the Current Atlas (Atlas des Courants) published by Fisheries and Oceans Canada is extremely helpful (see Fig. 2). Unfortunately, its resolution, both spatial and temporal, is not sufficient for planning on the scale of a swim.

Figure 2: Excerpt from the Current Atlas showing some tricky currents.

There is one resource that probably every American swimmer who has the slightest interest in currents has referenced: the NOAA tidal current prediction tables. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration publishes current predictions on hundreds of stations across the US, providing times and velocities for maximum flood and, and slack times in between. They’re published well in advance so do not take wind or weather into account, but provide a reliable starting point for any maritime excursion. The downside is, they only provide a bunch of data points, not a curve.

To connect the dots, I’ve written a formula that fits each predicted high and low with a piecewise sine curve (Fig 3) and put it into an Excel spreadsheet, allowing me to calculate a current velocity at any given time. Since this equation does not take into account the predicted slack-current times, there is there is almost certainly some error. This error appears worse for some stations, but relatively good for the two stations I’ve based my model on. This unquantified “goodness” is assessed by matching up the predicted slack times with the plotted equation and seeing how closely they match (Fig. 4). Some have been as close as 6 minutes.

Figure 3: an equation to fit a sine curve calculating y at time t given a time range and y range (y = current velocity, tidal height, etc.)

Figure 4: A calculated velocity profile showing NOAA-predicted slack current times as red triangles

With a way to calculate currents and a feel for how the water sloshes, the course can be set. To make planning uncomplicated and conservative, I like to pick one heading for the duration of the swim and let the currents take me where they will. There is a bit of guess and check involved. In half-hour increments, I draw a line from the start along the fixed heading scaled to correspond with my anticipated speed, and then another matching the direction and velocity of the current just calculated. Repeat, repeat, repeat until the other shore is reached, or it becomes clear the other shore will not be reached (Fig. 5). By varying start times and headings, I’ve now got at least two routes planned for each day of my window.

Figure 5: Sample of route creation method showing 30-min steps

One of the responsibilities of my swim manager will be to compare these predictions to our actual progress. By keeping a constant heading throughout the route planning, it should be easy to anticipate where a deviated heading will take us. My goal is to hit one of the two coves in Washington and end on a sandy beach. Fortunately, the coastline here is relatively straight, so messing up the currents should only mean a little extra swimming and/or ending on a rocky cliff.

The most important things in planning tides and currents are a reliable set of predictions and a good feel for how the currents operate. I admit I don’t really know the intricacies of the Strait the way I’d like to, but products like the Current Atlas help, but I think I’ve been conservative enough in my planning to account for a few reverse eddies near shore or a delay due to shipping traffic. I’m excited to find out if this works.

Updated June 17th, 2013 at 11:45 AM by andrewmalinak (typo)

Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fig2-CA-p22.png 
Views:	2517 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	7666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fig1-current-effects.png 
Views:	1972 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	7661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fig5-Route-1.JPG 
Views:	1765 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	7662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fig4-Route-2.JPG 
Views:	1955 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	7663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fig3-route-3.png 
Views:	1654 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	7664  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fig2-CA-p22.png 
Views:	600 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	7665  
  8. Week 38 - Monday

by , June 17th, 2013 at 08:45 AM (After a long rest)
    Late on Saturday I rented a brush bandit 10" wood chipper. Yesterday I cleared a brush pile that has been accumulating over the last few years. The machine worked great and was a lot of fun. It's amazing how big a tree it can turn into mulch in less than 10 seconds. I obviously took all the safety precautions and I am pleased to say no injuries. That said I did find out that I am hyper allergic to cedar. I wore a tight fitting t-shirt with short sleeves and shorts. Wherever I have exposed skin I now have red scratches. Luckily I don't seem to have any poison ivy(yet), and the bumps went down over night, but this mornings practice was hard and I was really tired.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup drill on 50

Main set
    5x400, 1 & 2 transition swims holding under 1.20 pace, 3-5 descend using paddles and pull bouy on 4.50
    10x100 kick with fins on 1.30, holding under 1.15
    Warm down
    300 easy

Total 4000meters

The 400s were tough and I felt sore from last week and yesterday's activities. I went 5.10s on the first two 400s. I was supposed to descend the next three 400s and despite increasing my effort held 4.44s on all three. The 100s kick I held 1.12-1.14 throughout. My kick has improved recently and this set felt pretty good.

Our meet is only a couple of weeks away and I don't think many of my team mates have signed up. I need to remember to bring some more entry forms to convince a few to participate on wednesday. They don't know how much fun participating is!

Updated June 17th, 2013 at 08:51 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. How lopsided I am, but I am getting better

by , June 17th, 2013 at 07:52 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Once again I did some right arm / left arm swimming and my right arm is significantly weaker than my left. But the one good thing is the gap is narrowing. Last time I did this set I was holding just at 1:20 for my times for the right arm on the 1:20 interval. This time I made 4 with time to spare and then was at the 1:20. Maybe next time I can hold 1:16 for all of them.

500 free
    500 free kick w/zoomers

6x50@1:20 free right arm only breath on the nonworking side non working arm at side w/paddle went 1:16, 1:16, 1:16, 1:16, 1:20, 1:20
    6x50@1:15 free left arm only breath on the nonworking side non working arm at side w/paddle went 1:09, 1:10, 1:09, 1:09, 1:09, 1:09

400 free kick w/zoomers

6x50@1:00 free paddle on right hand w/4 beat kick on paddle hand
    6x50@1:00 free paddle on left hand w/4 beat kick on paddle hand

400 free EZ w/snorkle

Total 3000 meters
    Categories
    Swim Workouts