Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Shoulders been bugging you? Or just trying to get your legs stronger?
    Both. Father-in-law is a PT and took a look. It isn't even swimmer's shoulder. Just nagging soreness/minor pain from time to time. Since my comeback last January I have taken two other such breaks, both about a week long, where I just kicked with a snorkel and my hands at my side. I call them "mental health breaks" for my upper body. And obviously the kicking helps with my leg strength. I have started adding swimming back in again. I also suspect part of the issue, since it is only on my left side, stems from my single side breathing, every two strokes, on my left side (so breathing to the right). So I am trying to work in some breathing to the other side to alleviate some of the stress.

Also also, since my big meet is not until mid April, now would be the time to do preventative maintenance so that I can prepare myself for the last big push over the next 9-10 weeks before I start to taper!
    Shoulders been bugging you? Or just trying to get your legs stronger?
    Haha, didn't you see my post about the delorean over in the nsr forum? Opps, I fixed it...oxygen hadn't returned to my brain I guess
    I donít get it. Your workout is titled 1/6/19. Did you travel backwards in time one day to post it here? How is this possible? Where were you able to obtain a flux capacitor (I havenít been able to find one)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    I did. Forgot to announce that. Happened a few days before Christmas. And thanks. I love this workout because it's 7000 yards that doesn't feel like 7000 yards. It helped having some other people doing the workout with me. That made it seem to go by even faster.
    That workout looks suspiciously like something I did when I swam in Mesa with Paul Smith coaching. The fast lanes might have done those intervals, but my lane probably had a 1:30 base.
    Paul is a strong advocate of swimming with fins and paddles.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, that's some serious distance, with some serious intervals!

Did you ever make it to 500 miles?
    I did. Forgot to announce that. Happened a few days before Christmas. And thanks. I love this workout because it's 7000 yards that doesn't feel like 7000 yards. It helped having some other people doing the workout with me. That made it seem to go by even faster.
    Wow, that's some serious distance, with some serious intervals!

Did you ever make it to 500 miles?
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Ha, I did that drive with you and Matt once! A lot easier from where I am, little less than 2 hours per the Googs. I did check and see if it was SCY or LCM, no way would I even consider it LCM. Would be fun to swim at Mizzou again, a good chunk of my PRs are still in that pool.

Have to decide quickly though, looks like the only meet still available for the club team my masters group is attached to that I could qualify at is Ozark Senior Champs last weekend of January and the entry deadline is... tomorrow. On the plus side, it is in a brand-spanking-new high school pool literally 10 minutes from my house.
    THATíS RIGHT! Forgot we all carpooled together. You could always just deck enter. I usually do that with the smaller local meets here. That way Iím not out the money if I canít make the meet. Yeah I pay like a 5.00 premium to enter events if I deck enter, but Iím usually only dropping in for one event (because I normally do deck entry if I know my weekend will be busy and my schedule might be in flux, as opposed to when I enter ahead of time and have cleared my calendar for the meet).
    Ha, I did that drive with you and Matt once! A lot easier from where I am, little less than 2 hours per the Googs. I did check and see if it was SCY or LCM, no way would I even consider it LCM. Would be fun to swim at Mizzou again, a good chunk of my PRs are still in that pool.

Have to decide quickly though, looks like the only meet still available for the club team my masters group is attached to that I could qualify at is Ozark Senior Champs last weekend of January and the entry deadline is... tomorrow. On the plus side, it is in a brand-spanking-new high school pool literally 10 minutes from my house.
    Fairly certain Central Sectionals is LCM this year, Jeff.

NEVERMIND! Just checked and it was changed to SCY. There were on this program where spring sectionals was LCM for the 2 cycles before an Olympics. Guess they changed it (again).

I should add: I actually qualified myself as well, but Columbia is a LONG haul (and a VERY boring drive) so I am going to pass this time (but qualifying times are good for 2 years so I can always go another time!).
    haha thanks guys. Still dealing with a minor bum shoulder but am trying to get other cross training to keep endurance up. I find that a good drop taper and higher intensity stuff helps me find some speed for the meets
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    You've never seen rxleakem swim! He's fast, and evidently just needs a small amount of maintenance swimming to keep that level of fitness. Imagine how much faster he'd be if he got in more!
    It's scary is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Wait, what, you trained 111 miles last year and "had some good swims at meets"?
    I trained 200 miles last year (my lowest in many years) and going to a meet was just unthinkable. How the heck can you you race, and do *well*, on that volume?
    You've never seen rxleakem swim! He's fast, and evidently just needs a small amount of maintenance swimming to keep that level of fitness. Imagine how much faster he'd be if he got in more!
    Wait, what, you trained 111 miles last year and "had some good swims at meets"?
    I trained 200 miles last year (my lowest in many years) and going to a meet was just unthinkable. How the heck can you you race, and do *well*, on that volume?
    Quote Originally Posted by raysun
    FR kick H.A.S - what is H.A.S.? Carol
    I got lazy years ago writing ďhands at sideĒ so I just started abbreviating H.A.S.
    FR kick H.A.S - what is H.A.S.? Carol
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    I know I did a 12 days of Christmas when I used to CrossFit. I had to dig around in the blog to find it (12/24/2012...coincidently the last time Christmas Eve was on a Monday!)
    I've done it a few different ways - I think each gym has their own more or less, not sure if there is an "official" one. They are all tough in some way, it's just a lot of reps to do.
    I know I did a 12 days of Christmas when I used to CrossFit. I had to dig around in the blog to find it (12/24/2012...coincidently the last time Christmas Eve was on a Monday!)

ďThe Nightmare before Christmas"

The following is done just like the "12 Days of Christmas" song, start at 1, then do 1 and 2, then 1 and 2 and 3, etc.

For time:

1 knees to bar
    2 tire jumps
    3 clean + squat (75 lbs)
    4 clean + press (75 lbs)
    5 dips
    6 goblet squats (45 lb kettle bell)
    7 flutter kicks (on each leg)
    8 kettle bell swings (45 lb bell)
    9 hand stand push-ups
    10 heel clicks (think Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz)
    11 pull-ups
    12 dumbbell clean + press (25 lb dumbbell 1 arm at a time)

Results: 39:59