View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Monday June 24, 2013

by , June 24th, 2013 at 11:20 PM (I swim, therefore I am)
    LCM@FGCU Aquatic Center
    Air temp 75, Water temp 79
    Partly sunny, humidity at 78%

Warm Up
    400 RIMO
    600 BR/FR by 100 with snorkel
    300 Fly/BK by 50

*Set 1*
    6x400 IM on 2:00 rest, as 50 drill/50 swim
    ---200 BR Kick

*Set 2*
    2(3x100 FR on 2:00) desc 1-3
    *1:18, 1:14, 1:08
    *1:16, 1:12. 1:07
    ---200 FR Kick

*Set 3*
    4x200 on 1:00 rest w/ M-agility paddles
    #1&3 - 2(50 Fly, 50 BK)
    #2&4 - 2(40 BR, 50 FR)

*Set 4*
    2(4x50 on 3:00, 2:00 rest) from dive
    *30-30-29-29, (EZ 100) 30-30-29-28

Warm Down
    400 EZ FR
    Dryland Bands

Comments
    The 400 IMs were at moderate effort, but then later it was a struggle to swim Sets 2 and 4. Starting out Set 2, the 1:18 100 free felt like 1:10, and then later, the final 1:07/100 FR felt like swimming at 1:18! Go figure.

About six weeks ago I got a full size table tennis table for our family game room. Since then I have been playing with my wife, daughter and son almost daily. My ten year old daughter has improved dramatically to the point that she can really keep the ball coming back over the net again and again. I was so sore during the first week, but playing table tennis for 30-40 minutes is a good workout. While not swimming specific, I can run around chasing that little white ball pretty good now.

Updated June 25th, 2013 at 11:19 PM by fdtotten

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 06/24/13: morning

by , June 24th, 2013 at 10:26 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I had a nice ride Saturday on the motorcycle with my buddy Rick before heading to the annual Relay for Life here in my county. I have gone every years since it started, 1996, sometimes on a team but mostly just to go and walk some laps for my mom, Lena's grandfathers, and other friends and family. When this weekend comes around, rain usually accompanies the festivities but we this was the odd year that the temperatures were warm and the track stayed dry.

Yesterday I was able to also enjoy a ride on the motorcycle with Lena, heading to her cousin's high school graduation over in Rock City Falls, NY, a little town just west of Saratoga. Round trip three hours on the bike, baking in the sun! Still a fun time despite mild dehydration.

Hopped in this morning to stretch out:

200 Fr/200 Bk warmup

Kick/Swim/Pull (board/agility paddles/buoy)
    050 100 500 with snorkel
    100 150 400 with snorkel
    150 200 300

4 x 75 on 1:15
    - kick/swim IMO/pull

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2750 yds/50 min)
    --------------------------

Back into the drink on Wednesday for me
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 39 - Monday

by , June 24th, 2013 at 09:00 PM (After a long rest)
    I woke ahead of my alarm once again this morning. Despite being tired I had a good aerobic workout today, swum mainly on my own. It's funny how people avoid my lane and I think I know why; it's less about being lapped and more about not wanting to swim my workout(or my other hunch is I smell). Today I was the only one in my lane swimming a mid distance set, everyone else was doing 100s. I really enjoyed today's workout and was tempted to go back for more this evening, but my wife put an end to that thought by reminding me of my promise.

Warm up
    400 free with a snorkel
    6x50 catchup drill on 50

Main set
    10x300 pull with bouy and paddles on 3.45
    100 easy
    4x(100 fast with fins with 10 seconds rest, 50 easy with fins, 50 fast with fins with 10 seconds rest)

Warm down
    100 easy breathing every 7

Total 4700meters

I held 1.10 pace throughout the 300 set and upto the last one felt pretty good. On the last 300 my shoulders and Lat's stiffened up and I had to push pretty hard to hold my pace. I think I can probably drop my pace or reduce my rest or both the next time we do this.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. The Ka Lae Method for doing difficult things

by , June 24th, 2013 at 06:57 PM (Please tap on the glass)
    Years ago, I stood on the cliffs of Ka Lae looking south, out over the Pacific Ocean. Or rather, looking down at the Pacific Ocean. The rocky ledges at South Point, Hawai’i, are a great spot for cliff jumping if you can handle the rough, current-laden water below, and if you can work up the courage to send yourself flying off the edge of a cliff. Standing there at that point, I possessed at least one of the two.

As a swimmer (not even an open water swimmer, at the time), an expansive ocean, some big rollers, and unfathomably deep water didn’t scare me. Looking down, my thoughts were the same as they always are when I look at a body of water: “I want to swim in that.” I take this for granted, my absence of fear in swimming-related matters, my sense of invulnerability about the water. If there was any thought of perishing once I was in that water below, I wouldn’t be standing there with my toes curled over the edge, oh no.

So there I stood, toes curled over the edge, staring down at that clear blue water telling my legs to jump. 1, 2, 3, and…4.

1. 2. 3. Hmm.

Logically, there was nothing bad about this idea. No drowning to worry about. No rocks in the water to watch out for. No rocks on the cliff to avoid. And I’ve refined my cliff jumping skills since that first experience/injury at America’s Most Dangerous Water Park, so no worries there. Despite rationalizing the risk and assessing the cost (nearly zero) against the benefit (greater than zero), it wasn’t happening. Jumping off a giant cliff into a huge ocean was irrationally terrifying!

So I turned around and took a few steps away from the edge of the cliff. The equivalent of four big steps. Looking back at the cliff from my new vantage, the “down there” no longer visible, the fear of the fall subsided. It was just me, the wind, and the ocean on the horizon, and the thought of what I wanted to do. 1, 2, 3. That’s not me counting, that’s the sound of my bare feet pounding the sandstone ground, heading for the edge, too much momentum to stop. 4.

Over the next few years, I found myself doing the same thing in other places. Here’s a picture of me jumping into the cold, cold Hudson on Christmas Eve. Ah, here’s me jumping into the pool at 6:30am for the fourth day that week. It’s mostly pictures of me physically jumping. Oh, here’s one of my moving to London with just a duffel bag.

Somewhere along the way, I discovered metaphorical jumping. The rules are the same:

1. Be sure jumping won’t kill you.
    2. Know how to swim.
    3. Full speed ahead.

Over the past few months, the planning of my Juan de Fuca swim would stall; knowing that certain parts would be hard, I’d push them aside and then days later pick up the phone and run at the challenge full speed ahead. That’s how I got my WA driver’s license: woke up one morning after stalling for months and went straight to the DMV before even having breakfast.

In chemistry, there’s the activation energy of a reaction. In physics, you’ve got your static coefficient of friction. Life just a bit of that, plus some selective blindness.

And if that doesn’t work, may I be there to give you a good shove?
    Tags: cliffs
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 06.24.13 - Monday workout

by , June 24th, 2013 at 04:56 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave and my son. Back to the daily grind. Still had some taper to enjoy this morning. I got further on this workout than I normally do:

SCY

600 warm up

200 IM - 3:15/ 200 IM Kick - 3:45
    200 IM - 3:10/ 200 IM Kick - 3:40
    200 IM - 3:05/ 200 IM Kick - 3:35
    200 IM - 3:00/ 200 IM Kick - 3:30
    50 Easy

200 IM - 2:55/ 200 IM Kick - 3:25
    200 IM - 2:50/ 200 IM Kick - 3:20
    200 IM - 2:45/ 200 IM Kick - 3:15
    200 IM - 2:40/ 200 IM Kick - 3:10
    50 Easy
    First round wasn't too bad. I switched to breaststroke kick for the second round. made 2:40 but couldn't kick hard enough to make the 3:10. Ended up throwing on fins and coasting through to the end.

200 IM Timed (3:0?) Had to abort when my calf and foot simultaneously cramped on the fly. Tried to swim it off but after 25 yards, it kept getting worse. Stretched out really quickly on the wall and then finished as strong as I could.

200 Cool down

(4300 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. 06.22.13 - Alabama State Games - finding my inner sprinter

by , June 24th, 2013 at 04:47 PM (Pete's swim blog)
    I'm not much of a sprinter but I seem to be getting better at it. Last weekend, I joined our local summer league team, Madison Dolphins, along with 6 other Masters swimmers to compete in the Alabama State Games. The facilities were awesome. Half the building was an indoor 50m pool with a diving well. The other half was an indoor track and field stadium. The competition lanes were all 7'+ deep and it was set up with 10 lanes (8 used) running to a bulkhead. 6 more lanes were set up on the other side of the diving area for warm-ups/cool down. Everything was state of the art. The pool was a tad warm but still fast. That might have had to do with what appeared to be an erratic climate control system. On deck, temps were 80-85. It was cooler in the stands but noticeably different from the 70 degree temps in the large connecting hallway.

My only minor complaint with the meet was that they divided us up into obscure age groups to fill out all of the lanes. In general, that may be OK, but I was more competitive with some of the 25-40 year olds than I was with the 50-70 year olds I got placed with. I'm not sure why they didn't just seed it by our seed times. There would have been a lot of better races if they had done that for the masters. I get why they do it for the age groupers. Maybe it was hard to convince the software to do it different ways.

Short story is that I'm the 2013 6 time Alabama State Champion in my age group. Sure, three of those were unopposed and I'm not sure who exactly recognizes such a title. But supposedly, it qualifies me for a trip to the National State Games in Hershey, PA (all expenses paid by me). My 15 yr old son qualified as well and is now bugging me to go since it is apparently located near an amusement park (all expenses paid by me of course). Unfortunately, this isn't likely to be in the cards this year. I'm back to piling up yards for a possible SCM meet in November.

I swam 6 events thinking this would take about 6-8 hours to go through. It took 4. My last two swims probably suffered a little because of this. Ok... it took 8 when you add in the awards ceremony. Masters got medals for places 1-3. Age groupers got medals for 1-3 and ribbons for 4-6. With 7 events total, this took a while. They probably could have cut a lot of that out if they just awarded a high point trophy for each age division for masters. The kids that stuck around for it had fun so I was patient.

Here's the event details:

200 Free
    Seed Time: 2:02.71
    Meet Time: 2:03.04
    Splits: 29.07, 30.98, 31.74, 31.25
    Yikes! What happened here? It looks like I faded at the end but this was mostly botched turns. Bulkheads get into my head for some reason and I kept jamming up on them. I was getting a little tired and I think I didn't warm up enough. Started to wonder if I had missed my taper.

50 Free
    Seed Time: 26.98
    Meet Time: 25.97
    Splits: N/A
    I was hoping for 25.5 ish but I'll take the improvement. Got beat down by Jay (former college swimmer that spent all of 4 weeks getting ready for this event) who did a low 23. At least from this race, I knew there wasn't a problem with my taper.

200 IM
    Seed Time: 2:22.58
    Meet Time: 2:21.75
    Splits: 30.25, 41.81, 38.56, 31.13
    My typical negative split IM. Here's my feb splits: 31.06, 40.87, 38.48, 32.17. So, I gained on the Fly and Free but lost a second on backstroke. Breaststroke was pretty much a wash. Jay was swimming next to me in this race which helped a lot. He went 29 on his fly and I tried to follow. When I turned for backstroke, I had trouble breathing so I slowed a bit to catch my breath. I assumed Jay was going to leave me but the damage wasn't too bad and I was still within striking distance when I came up for my first breaststroke breath. I caught him at 125 and tried to put as much distance on him as I could before the free assuming he would do what he just did to me on the 50 free race. Fortunately for me, 1) He wasn't a breaststroker, 2) 4 weeks of training wasn't enough to sustain his 100 pace and 3) I didn't know any of that. So, I put my head down and assumed he was on my heels for the rest of the race. Sometimes the imaginary guy chasing you down is worse than the real thing.

100 Breast
    Seed Time: 1:10.77
    Meet Time: 1:09.53
    Splits: 33.03, 36.50
    Hit the dive just right on this race. I couldn't believe how fast I was just gliding. I got in one solid dolphin kick + a pullout and popped up w/ good speed at 15 meters. What a ride! Finally broke 1:10 but my second 50 wasn't quite as nice as the first.

100 Fly
    Seed Time: 1:10.00
    Meet Time: 1:05.02
    Splits: 30.45, 34.57
    I tried to match my 200 IM fly speed for the first 50 (successful) and then hold on to my pace (no so successful). First 50 felt great. On the second 50, I could feel myself riding lower and lower into the water. I didn't crash too hard but a 4 second difference seems like a lot for me.

100 Free
    Seed Time: 57.83
    Meet Time: 56.89
    Splits: 27.42, 29.47
    Swam next to Jay again and he paid me back for the 200 IM. I "held on" for the first 50 but he was just too fast (I think he split faster than my 50 free time) on the way to a mid 53. It was fun to try anyway.

Looking forward to it next year. Jay ages up into my age bracket next year so "6 time champion" may be a little harder in 2014. Great job to Dave C (4 time Alabama state champion) who I swim w/ on most mornings and Brandon (5 time Alabama state champion) who I swim w/ on Saturdays. For three of our Masters, this was their first meet. One of those even swam the 200 IM! And finally, congrats to the Madison Dolphins who took their team 100 miles to outscore all of the local teams and win the large team first place trophy!
  7. Sarasota Y Sharks Masters 5:30 AM Workout -06/25/2013

by , June 24th, 2013 at 01:11 PM (Sarasota Y Sharks Masters GOLD Workout)
    LCM
    WARM UP:
    15 X 100
    5 on 2:00
    5 on 1:50
    5 on 1:45

6 X 100 free 2:30
    Swim all 6 @ 85/90%

4 X (8 X 50
    Round 1: kick 1:15
    Round 2: free :50
    Round 3: stroke-2 of each- 1:15
    Round 4: 25 sprint/25 easy 1:15

WARM DOWN: 4 X 50 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Was supposed to be recovery day but not so

by , June 24th, 2013 at 10:02 AM (Mixing it up this year)
    Air quality this weekend at the meet was bad. Did about average for most of my events considering I did not really taper. Had an awesome Sunday swim with the 200 fly, reminiscent of my times from 3 years ago but in finals I did more like my normal time.

500 free
    500 free kick

2times thru
    2x200@3:30 free w/paddles & bouy
    4x100@1:45 free w/paddles & bouy
    4x50@1:00 free

100 EZ

Total 3100 meters
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Monday, June 24, 2013

by , June 24th, 2013 at 09:42 AM (Workout Swimmer)
    Can hardly believe that June is almost over. We had such a long long winter, and now summer is nearly a third of the way done

Feeling better in practice these last two days. Swam Saturday on my own, then did weights, so was sorta sore (legs) this morning, but it was all good. Got tired on the last set & was grateful that I had to get out & go to work - but turns out they were only doing some 50's kick & I could've made it. How they practice for nearly 3 hours straight every MWF (AND come back in the afternoon) is beyond me.

600 back/free
    600 pull
    400 kick
    400 drill/swim by 25's choice of stroke (breast/free)
    6 x 100 @ 1:40 stroke/free
    200 easy
    3 x 400 @ 7:00 (niiice interval)
    100 easy
    16 x 100 @ 1:40 heart rate set
    200 easy
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. LCM State meet...

by , June 24th, 2013 at 12:17 AM (Alex's swim journal)
    My first Long Course meet ever!

I'll have to write a more complete account tomorrow; right now I'm pretty tired and just want to go to bed. Also I want to take a look at my splits, which I haven't had a chance to do yet, to comment in more detail.

400 IM = 8:10, my seed time was 7:45, but I wasn't last! I had no idea what to expect or what the long course would feel like... I felt pretty smooth on everything, just slow. Siren song? What I was hearing was more like a banshee wail.

200 Back = 3:47; only about 5 minutes after my 400 IM... beat my seed time and came in a close second in the heat (was 4IM just a warm-up for the 200 back?).

50 Back = :46 (seed time was :48).

100 Back = 1:41 (seedtime 1:40).

1500 Free = 26:43; just trying to stay smooth... nowhere near my 1650 time, but about :10 faster than my 1500 SCM; being that it's long course, I feel like that's a sign I haven't lost too much fitness since short course season.

We had a good time... I swept the back stroke events in my age group! 4IM was fun with two of my Kenosha swim buds doing it with me, Carl and Scotty; there were only two other 4IMers at this meet apart from the Kenosha contingent, everyone else scratched... which means I got a top 5 spot (4th actually) overall in that gnarly event.
    Categories
    Uncategorized