Blog Comments

Thatís a nice fly Calvin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    What's this "exhibition" restriction? Register too late?
    Oh well, trust me, the other swimmers know they got beat.
    Means I cannot score. YMCA has a very narrow definition of "amateur." According to them, once you receive anything for swimming, you lose that status. So even though I was a non scholarship athlete, the fact that my college team covered costs such as hotel/travel for away meets and conference means I am not an amateur. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.
    What's this "exhibition" restriction? Register too late?
    Oh well, trust me, the other swimmers know they got beat.
    good job. faster tomorrow.

omahog
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Chris Stevenson said his coach had him swim 50 LC nbís on 1:00!
    For me, 5- 10 x 1breath 25mís on 0:30 i call lung busters
    Same coach used to have us do 50s on 1:15 swim NB or on 1:30 underwater kick/pullouts no breath (4 at a time).

These days the closest I come to that is my Rouse 100s, which is (starting at 15M mark) a 15M underwater FL kick, into a flip turn, into a 50M cruise kick on back, into a flip turn, into 35M underwater FL kick back to the original start point. Done with fins, I usually do them on 2:30. Iíve done them on as fast as 1:45 years ago. 2:30 is ample recovery time because it usually takes about 1:25 to complete the full 100 meters.

EDIT: by same coach I mean same coach who had me doing the lungbusters in my previous post, NOT Chris Stevensonís coach!
    Chris Stevenson said his coach had him swim 50 LC nbís on 1:00!
    For me, 5- 10 x 1breath 25mís on 0:30 i call lung busters
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    No, what they were was underwater to a random black line on the bottom, flip turn in space, underwater back. So it was trying to work on lungs (hence the name) and also accelerating from no push off. It was longer than 25 but mine were really sloppy so I just called it 25 :P
    Amazing how coaches use the same terminology for different things. Lung busters for us were always long (usually pull) sets where you breathed on the first stroke, then every 2, then 3, then 4, so on until you failed, then you started over again. My coach in high school used to love throwing out 6x400 pull LCM lungbusters. The turn counted for 2 strokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Were the lungbusters done has 25nbís?
    No, what they were was underwater to a random black line on the bottom, flip turn in space, underwater back. So it was trying to work on lungs (hence the name) and also accelerating from no push off. It was longer than 25 but mine were really sloppy so I just called it 25 :P
    Were the lungbusters done has 25nbís?
    Glad to hear that you at least got in some swimming!
    I did a short cruise (I think 3 days) about 13 years ago, and the pool on the ship was a joke. I resigned myself to just using the treadmill on the ship.
    Your description of swimming over the ray remind me of when I swam/snorkled the Great Barrier reef last Oct.