Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    I ought to buy a chute - I think the Finis was what I used this morning.
    mine cost me I think 70.00. A worthwhile investment because it seems well made. My only complaint about it is that if you are doing any setting other than full open or full closed, you have to be sure to line the zippers up perfectly otherwise the chute can "fish tail" while in use...which is a whole new level of drag I am not interested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    I just bought a Finis drag+fly chute to use on my "power" days/workouts. It is my cheaper substitution for a power tower, since we don't have one at the LRRC.
    I ought to buy a chute - I think the Finis was what I used this morning.
    I just bought a Finis drag+fly chute to use on my "power" days/workouts. It is my cheaper substitution for a power tower, since we don't have one at the LRRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    I loved station workouts. Coach Kyle used to right some positively amazing station workouts when I was still swimming with the Dolphins. Except for one set. At least once a month, stations would include the following set:

4x75 @ 2:30 UW FL kick
    2 air squats at start wall, climb out at each subsequent wall and do: 4, 6, 8 air squats.

basically 2 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 4 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 6 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 8 squats all on 2:30. Which seems like a lot of rest for a 75...but it isn't. Not when you have to climb out and squat and you are UW kicking.
    That sounds... devious. But probably effective if you can do it right!

I hadn't done buckets or chutes since... well, probably since afternoon practices at UALR when I was there.
    I loved station workouts. Coach Kyle used to right some positively amazing station workouts when I was still swimming with the Dolphins. Except for one set. At least once a month, stations would include the following set:

4x75 @ 2:30 UW FL kick
    2 air squats at start wall, climb out at each subsequent wall and do: 4, 6, 8 air squats.

basically 2 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 4 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 6 squats, 25 UW FL kick, climb out, 8 squats all on 2:30. Which seems like a lot of rest for a 75...but it isn't. Not when you have to climb out and squat and you are UW kicking.
    Not bad splitting on that!
    Nice IM set there. I might steal it and modify a bit for the group I coach Tuesdays.
    It was actually a further modification of two I.M. sets I did with the Dolphins, compliments of Kyle Cormier (the coach who replaced Matt):

"200 I.M. set"
    8x25 @ :30 SMOOTH FL breathe every 4 (or 1 breath max or some sort of artificial fatigue factor)
    4x50 @ :50 FAST BK (hit target 200 I.M. pace)
    4x50 @ :50 FAST BR (hit target 200 I.M. pace)
    5x100 @ 1:10 D1-3 to FAST, hold 4/5 (over training FR)

"400 I.M. set"
    4x50 @ :50 FL (target pace: 2nd 50 of 100 FL)
    4x75 @ 1:10 FAST BK (at PACE)
    4x50 @ :50 FAST BR (at PACE)
    4x75 @ 1:10 FAST FR (at PACE)

The 200 I.M. set never changed. The 400 I.M. set started as written and got as high as 6 or 7 (I can't remember) of each rep, then fell back down to 4.

Full confession: the 400 I.M. set was "easier" than the 200 I.M. one, and ironically was shorter in total yardage!
    Nice IM set there. I might steal it and modify a bit for the group I coach Tuesdays.
    In a way it's good that this is just a stupid URI. You'll recover from that. A broken or inadequate air handling system doesn't get better unless someone fixes it.
    Feel better soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    "If you cough when you breathe, just don't breathe."
    Sounds like a stupid coach comment.
    If you cough when you breathe, assuming you aren't ill, someone needs to fix the air handling at the pool. Harangue the responsible party until it is fixed.
    Idiots... you hit a hot button here...
    Actually pool was fine (although, on a side note, it has been in the 60s the past few days here in Little Rock and today it was 76! I wish the bubble could be retracted for gorgeous days like today [2/4/19]!). Anyways, I have an upper respiratory infection that my wife and kids graciously gave to me without me even asking (how thoughtful). So I was having coughing fits for a while there any time I put my head under water. On Sunday, I coughed any time I took a deep breath...hence the joking title of the workout (and the reason for doing a bunch of underwaters!).
    "If you cough when you breathe, just don't breathe."
    Sounds like a stupid coach comment.
    If you cough when you breathe, assuming you aren't ill, someone needs to fix the air handling at the pool. Harangue the responsible party until it is fixed.
    Idiots... you hit a hot button here...
    Showin' some serious speed there! Nice
    Super fast swims Jeff. Glad that your training is realizing some great swims at this point in the season for you.
    Shoulders been bugging you? Or just trying to get your legs stronger?
    Both. Father-in-law is a PT and took a look. It isn't even swimmer's shoulder. Just nagging soreness/minor pain from time to time. Since my comeback last January I have taken two other such breaks, both about a week long, where I just kicked with a snorkel and my hands at my side. I call them "mental health breaks" for my upper body. And obviously the kicking helps with my leg strength. I have started adding swimming back in again. I also suspect part of the issue, since it is only on my left side, stems from my single side breathing, every two strokes, on my left side (so breathing to the right). So I am trying to work in some breathing to the other side to alleviate some of the stress.

Also also, since my big meet is not until mid April, now would be the time to do preventative maintenance so that I can prepare myself for the last big push over the next 9-10 weeks before I start to taper!