Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    Great times man! I got to the meet and completely forgot to find you, lol. You had a heck of a meet in general, not to mention only being back for a short span. The younger age groups seemed more stacked than I remember them being in the past.
    Thank you sir! You had a good meet too! I watched most of your races, but between there being 2400 people there and everybody looking different in a cap and goggles than otherwise, I didn't really know how to go about finding you or any other forum denizens or random people I knew from the small world of swimming.
    Great times man! I got to the meet and completely forgot to find you, lol. You had a heck of a meet in general, not to mention only being back for a short span. The younger age groups seemed more stacked than I remember them being in the past.
    No actual ice in the cold tub, but it was punishingly cold. I couldn't stand to be in it. One of my teammates used it after several of his events, though, and thought it was helpful. He has gone a few times for that super-cold cryotherapy, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Kicking long course is miserable. Sometimes a 50 seems so interminable that I have to look over my shoulder at the lane rope to verify that I am indeed actually moving. Kudos for hanging in there.
    I like to kick, but I have to confess that I pulled on the lane line a time or two -- and I never do that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Ah long course season - think our pool will be flipped for tomorrow too. First practice always seems like an OW swim. But IMO the transition back to short course is weirder yet, seems like you are in video game with someone dropping walls in front of you.

Glad the compression sleeve seems to help - I've used one for calf pulls when running and it did seem to help recovery. keep it up, Leslie.

And 32-33 br is crazy good lcm even with fins.
    Yeah, long course and short course are so different ...

I'll see how I like the A3 sleeves that I ordered ...
    Exactly. I was a 400 IMer in college and it just wasn't worth the loss of air to do it. Now I feel like I'll be putting myself at a big disadvantage in the 100 IM if I don't do it, and I'll need every advantage I can get against some of these DI sprinters only a year or so removed from college in the 25-29 age group!
    LCM...

8 x 50 kick, no fins @ 1:10
    -- holy cow, this felt long and never ending ...
    Kicking long course is miserable. Sometimes a 50 seems so interminable that I have to look over my shoulder at the lane rope to verify that I am indeed actually moving. Kudos for hanging in there.
    Ah long course season - think our pool will be flipped for tomorrow too. First practice always seems like an OW swim. But IMO the transition back to short course is weirder yet, seems like you are in video game with someone dropping walls in front of you.

Glad the compression sleeve seems to help - I've used one for calf pulls when running and it did seem to help recovery. keep it up, Leslie.

And 32-33 br is crazy good lcm even with fins.
    This reminds me to work on my crossover turn...I haven't practiced it in a few years. I think it's only useful for me in the 100 IM and that's about it. Takes away too much air in the 200 and 400.
    Thanks! I will give the shooters a try!
    Quote Originally Posted by shera
    Hello, These look like really good workouts. If you have a moment, I'd appreciate if you could answer a couple of questions. Can you tell me what are "shooters" (in the context of swimming not happy hour, lol). And the 100 scull - are you doing any kind of kick, for example some light dolphin kicking to add a bit of rhythm to the sculling, or is it pure sculling without kick? Thanks!
    Hi Shera.

A "shooter" is a 25 all underwater streamline dolphin kicking.

When I scull, I use small paddles and do not kick at all. You're trying to get a feel for the catch.
    Hello, These look like really good workouts. If you have a moment, I'd appreciate if you could answer a couple of questions. Can you tell me what are "shooters" (in the context of swimming not happy hour, lol). And the 100 scull - are you doing any kind of kick, for example some light dolphin kicking to add a bit of rhythm to the sculling, or is it pure sculling without kick? Thanks!
    Wait, what?
    I'm on-board with aerobic exercise stimulating the growth of more capillaries and eventually veins, but I thought the problem was at your shoulder/rib cage junction. What the heck is with the treadmill?? Shouldn't you be using one of those hand-crank stationary "bikes"? Or maybe a X-C ski machine with integrated arms?
    I think once you get your aerobic system going, it's systemic. And I really pump my arms on the treadmill.

But maybe I should hop on the rowing machine from time to time ...
    One reason I've been on the treadmill so much.
    Wait, what?
    I'm on-board with aerobic exercise stimulating the growth of more capillaries and eventually veins, but I thought the problem was at your shoulder/rib cage junction. What the heck is with the treadmill?? Shouldn't you be using one of those hand-crank stationary "bikes"? Or maybe a X-C ski machine with integrated arms?
    Not bad for "out of shape!"
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    hours of aerobic exercise will help you develop collateral veins?
    That's the theory. One reason I've been on the treadmill so much.
    hours of aerobic exercise will help you develop collateral veins?
    This looks brutal. Of course I can't make 100s on the 1:15, but even if I adjust that interval so it is doable, if I understand the "spirit" of the thing correctly, it looks simply awful. Good work!
    Karl,

Yeah lactic hold sucks. Necessary evil I learned to tolerate a few years ago. Its like "active recovery" on steroids. During round 2 I was thinking "You are self-coaching here. You could have chosen any set you wanted and you chose to do this?"
    <br>If I think the yard work counts for "drylands" I record it under "other" in the flog.<br>I don't count simple stuff, but if I move a lot of stones/pavers, dig out stumps, cut up a lot of tree limbs or other arduous stuff, I track it because it definitely impacts my practices for the next couple of days.
    Hauling bags of mulch is definitely weigh lifting! And digging tree stumps is serious stuff.
    3x
    4x25 @ :15 rest 15M BURST w/ chute
    1:00 REST
    100 @ 2:00 push FAST (:57, :57, :57)
    3x100 @ 1:15 lactic hold
    2:00 REST
    This looks brutal. Of course I can't make 100s on the 1:15, but even if I adjust that interval so it is doable, if I understand the "spirit" of the thing correctly, it looks simply awful. Good work!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast