Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    I've yelled at for making waves swimming fly cause there hair might get wet.
    I got that complaint once too. From some lady who was right up against the lane line adjacent to my lane. I was doing fast FR kicking and she complained I was splashing her too much. I just ignored her and tried not to make it look like I was intentionally trying to kick harder every time I passed her.
    That's what happens when you get old and overweight - trust me I'm there. haha.

I've been yelled at for making waves swimming fly cause their hair might get wet.
    Updated August 8th, 2018 at 11:44 AM by Sojerz
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Oh, wow. That's some arm burn right there. At least the back squat down and hold is a semi-rest position if you have the mobility.
    I am just glad to see "Sally" is more universal. I thought it was a crazy torture method only my instructor used.

Other people should have to suffer as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Worst I ever did was a push-up one. But on the down and on the hold, we had to hold push-up “down” position hovering 3 inches off the floor.

Best one I have done was bicep curls. This one was comparatively speaking, pretty easy as well.

But that push up one? F*** that s***!
    Oh, wow. That's some arm burn right there. At least the back squat down and hold is a semi-rest position if you have the mobility.
    I did "Sally" with 135# back squats once. Never again.
    Worst I ever did was a push-up one. But on the down and on the hold, we had to hold push-up “down” position hovering 3 inches off the floor.

Best one I have done was bicep curls. This one was comparatively speaking, pretty easy as well.

But that push up one? F*** that s***!
    I did "Sally" with 135# back squats once. Never again.
    I'm surprised Doug isn't at Pan Am Masters!
    Eh, when you break the LCM 50 FR world record, sometimes you earn a nice break :P
    I'm surprised Doug isn't at Pan Am Masters!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    What is "progressive freestyle"?
    w/ SNKL:
    50 fist drill
    50 swim w/ tennis balls
    50 upside down (or "grab") paddles
    50 swim

A little something I came up with (taking inspiration from other sets I have been given/read about over the years) to work on primarily front catch. Basically, you work your way through increasing resistance, with an emphasis on the forearm catch at the start of the freestyle stroke. Fist drill and tennis ball swim really make you focus on that forearm catch because if you don't, you don't actually go anywhere!

I do the set a few times a week. Sometimes I use it as a sort of "active recovery" filler between rounds of a set. Sometimes I do it as a stand alone set (usually doing 12-20x25). Sometimes, if I get in the water and I am just not feeling it that day, this is ALL I do, just to have SOMETHING to focus/work on.

For LCM I had to do it a little different, I actually do them in sets of 8, 2 at a time, because I can't have equipment at both ends of the pool!
    What is "progressive freestyle"?
    "LCM kicking is the pits"
    You will get no argument from me on that matter!
    I was not very efficient with my time. I was at the LRRC for 90 minutes and only got 3100 done, because I spent a lot of time chatting with the other swimmers who came and went.
    This is one of the privileges of masters swimming and is not a bad thing if not taken to excess.