View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Sunday Sept 24

by , September 25th, 2017 at 11:43 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    On Friday and Saturday, I did some drylands and was on the treadmill. Sunday, I went to Bethel Park and did the following:

Swim/SCY/Solo @ BP

Warm up:

500 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    -- I was surprised this interval was pretty easy to make
    100 EZ

Main sets:

5 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    -- 3 breast (12s), 2 kicks (10s)
    50 EZ

20 x 25 back w/fins @ 100 pace, UW 15 m @ :45
    200 EZ

10 x 25 breast w/fins @ 100 pace @ :45
    200 EZ

10 x 25 no breath free w/fins @ :45
    -- wanted to do this race pace, but was too tired
    200 EZ

Total: 3000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can go long distances on the treadmill with no problem, but put me in the pool and I'm plastered afterward ... My 25s were slower than usual, but not ridiculously slow at all. Of course, I was doing then on a slower interval than usual. Baby steps.

In other random news,

1. My allergies have been killing me this Aug/Sept. I didn't start feeling better until I started taking plant sterols. Usually I'm worse in the spring, but this late summer/fall has been challenging. I think it's the mold.
    2. We are going away for xmas and new years this year (Costa Rica). I've wanted to for years as the winters are long here, and we can't really go any other time with Lil Fort.

3. I've decided to re-learn conversational French. Not doing to do it traditionally. I'm going to use Duolingo, podcasts and youtube.

4. Swimming makes me so hungry ...

Updated September 25th, 2017 at 12:44 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Sprinters Choice Thursday, Sept 21

by , September 22nd, 2017 at 11:12 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I went to Pitt last night for "sprinter" practice. It seemed like a distance workout to me, so I chopped the main set in half.

Swim/SCY @ Pitt

Warm up:

450 various

4 x 100 with some breathing pattern (I always ignore these) @ 1:50
    -- I did odds = free, evens = back

16 x 25 kick @ :35, every 4th one fast
    -- I did 8 backstroke kick, then put on fins and did some shooters and bursts
    -- the interval was way too short to go "fast"

4 x 50 @ :55, no breath then build
    -- I did them free & back, 12.5 UW each length

Main sets:

assigned 2 rounds:
    4 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 EZ
    3 x 100 @ 1:25
    1 x 50 EZ
    2 x 100 @ 1:20
    1 x 100 EZ
    1 x 100 sprint
    1 x 100 EZ

Fugetabout ... I did:

2rounds:
    4 x 50, odds = @ 100 pace @ 1:30
    -- on round 2, I did one of the 100s backstroke kick, cruising at 1:03, then promptly switched back to 50s
    1 x 50 EZ
    3 x 50 odds = 100 pace @ 1:25
    1 x 50 EZ
    2 x 50 odds = 100 pace
    1 x 100 EZ
    1 x 50 @ 100 pace
    1 x 100 EZ (200 EZ on round 2)

Total: 3200

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The warm up was sufficiently hard to tire me out before trying to sprint. Very garbage yardy main set, I thought. Even chopping everything in half, I still did a lot of 100 pace work and yardage. I was beat down after that. A 90 minute workout is a bit much for me at this point ... Off for a hike in Frick Park with a friend!

Updated September 23rd, 2017 at 10:29 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 09/19/17: evening

by , September 19th, 2017 at 09:45 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    2 x (150 swim/50 kick/100 pull) [did extra 50]

4 x 125 on 2:10 (fast last 25 - did stroke)
    150 pull
    6 x 75 on 1:40 (k-s-p) [did extra 50]
    100 choice

10 x 50 on :60 (desc 1->4, 5 easy, 6 fast, 7->10 loosen and out)
    [Masters/Rec/2400yds/60 min]
    -------------------------------------
    With the warm and dry weather the tri folks are still playing outside. Just Greg and I today at practice for a good swim. Working to put together a list of some swims for this fall that we might be able to travel to.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. "No flip turns!"

by , September 18th, 2017 at 06:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I went for a 7 mile hike yesterday with Mr. Fort. Today, I swam at LA Fitness in Bridgeville. Midway through my workout, the lifeguard screamed at me (no joke, I was berated) for doing flip turns. Flip turns while I was swimming in a swimming pool ... Apparently, I was getting the pool deck wet. We can't have that in a pool, can we? I told her that I didn't feel obligated to stop doing flip turns, so she glared at me the rest of my workout and ranted to herself. Then I had a word with management on my way out. Crochety old lady! There is no pace clock there, so I just estimated intervals.

Swim/SCM/Solo @ LA Finess:

Warm up:

500 various

20 x 25 power kick @ :45
    50 EZ

Main sets:

20 x 50
    odds = 100ish pace (mix of free, back, breast and kick)
    evens = EZ
    100 EZ

2x
    10 x 25 dolphin kick on back @ 100 pace, arms at side @ :45ish
    100 EZ
    10 x 25 flutter kick @ 100 pace, arms at side @ :45ish
    100 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 2950

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really happy there was no pace clock there ... I'm sure my 100ish efforts don't correlate to my usual 100 pace times. Although I was swimming in SCM, so don't really know those times anyway. My fin free felt much better today, more efficient. Not unexpectedly, my legs were tired from treadmill work/walking. That stuff just does not mix well with swimming. But my shoulders/chest felt fine. My arm doesn't swell up anymore in the pool than it does on the treadmill with a raised heart rate, and even then it's only minimal.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Fri-Sat, Sept 15-16

by , September 17th, 2017 at 01:48 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Friday 9/15

Drylands:

Went to the gym for the first time in many months. Just did some rehab, core work and light weights. Despite only doing good mornings with the 45 lb bar, I could feel it in my back and hamstrings the next day.

Treadmill, 7.5 miles

mostly walking fast with a killer incline

Saturday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ Bethel Park:

Warm up:

500 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :45
    50 EZ

Main sets:

8 x 50 burst SDK + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP kick w/board + 75 EZ) @ 3:00

10 x 25 @ :40
    odds = breast dolphin @ 100 pace
    evens = EZ back
    50 EZ

5 x 50 DPS free-back @ 1:00
    50 EZ

20 x 25 @ :40
    1-10 = dolphin kick w/snorkel & arms at side
    11-20 = dolphin power kick w/arms at side
    100 EZ

10 x 25 no breath free @ whatever (no swimming lungs)
    200 EZ

Total: 2950

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made it to Bethel Park, one of my fave places to swim, yesterday. Still easing back in, but more of a Fort-like workout. My 25 AFAP kicks were maybe a second off my former blasto times. I didn't think that was too bad considering the absence of speed in my life. Back on the treadmill today. I don't think I'll swim on back to back days for awhile to not overdue. Trying not to be compulsive!
  6. 6 months later ...

by , September 15th, 2017 at 12:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    It's been 6 months since I posted, and a tumultuous 6 months it has been! Here's the summary:

1. Good: In April, I went on a lovely vacation to Paris and northeast France (medieval tour) with a friend.

2. Bad: In early May, I had a pec minor release on my right side, mostly to allow more room for collateral veins (axillary and subclavian closed despite Dec. surgery). My dr said it was the largest pec minor tendon he'd ever seen on a woman. A fairly minor surgery, but then a freak accident on the treadmill spawned a hematoma on my chest that lingered for weeks.

3. Good: Went off to CA with my hematoma to see my daughter graduate from college.

4. Bad: On May 22, had the major VTOS surgery on my left side. Once again, my rib was massive. My dr had thought it highly unlikely that I could have bilateral VTOS -- so rare -- but lo and behold my mid subclavian vein was clotted/compressed (though not nearly to the degree of my dead loss right side). After the surgery, my vein was still compressed, so I had another balloon venoplasty for my 5th surgery.

5. Really bad: The recovery from this surgery was difficult and more painful. They also took out my pec minor tendon this time, which was efficient but meant a larger incision. A couple weeks later, I got very sick and was couch bound. Then, I was plagued by shingles. It was a good 8-9 weeks of pure unadulterated hell. I don't recommend it to anyone.

6. Really Good: As a reward for survival, I planned and went on a smashingly fun trip in mid-August to Croatia, Slovenia and Montenegro with my daughter before she went off to grad school in Boston.

7. Mixed: Inexplicably, though I look much the same, I lost 8-9 pounds with months of being a couch potato and no change in diet. Mostly muscle loss, I think.

And so September rolled around, and I passed my "no swimming for three months" ban. It's essentially been 10+ months out of the pool with the exception of a few swims in February. In retrospect, I'm glad I stopped swimming in March and waited for surgery on the other side. I was correct that I had another clot, and swimming could have been hazardous.

Cautiously, I swam twice a week the first two weeks of September, mostly slowly. Felt incredibly weird. My right arm, while much better, is still slightly swollen due to the closure of the main veins. My dr, a national VTOS expert, really has no prognosis for me. He doesn't have any patients who have been elite masters athletes and then had failed VTOS surgeries. (To be clear, the surgery was successful in terms of decompression, but the veins were just permanently damaged from swimming and genetics.) So I am in unknown territory. Of course, the odds are stacked against me without proper circulation. But I think my circulation has likely been compromised somewhat for years (hence dying on 100s despite adequate training) and my training is kick-based.

And so ... I persist and will see what comes. I think it will be a fairly long "comeback." A successful VTOS surgery might involve a year long comeback. But I've been out 10 months with 5 surgeries and have closed veins on the right side ... I do have a doppler ultrasound checkup on both sides in mid October. This is anxiety causing because, of course, I have never once received any good news from my dr and am hoping my left side vein is still open. On the upside, as a testament to his surgical skill, I seem to have lost zero range of motion and have no nerve damage. And I've read that getting rid of the pesky pec minor tendons may lessen one's predisposition to rotator cuff problems.

Anyhoo, I went to Pitt last night and did the sprint workout. I obviously am not "sprinting" at this juncture, but bumbled along happy to see some teammates. Used fins, which I am sure I will be doing for a loooong time while my thoracic area re-adjusts to swimming.

Swim/SCYPitt

Warm up:

150 (arrived a bit late and missed 250)
    8 x 50 various @ :55
    8 x 50 kick w/fins @ :55

Main sets:

2 rounds:

4 x 100 @ 1:30 (I alternated free and flutter kick)
    1 x 50 EZ @ 2:00
    2 x 25 sprint, 1 kick + 1 swim @ :40
    1 x 50 EZ @ 1:40
    2 x 50 fast, 1 kick + 1 swim @ 1:10
    1 x 50 EZ @ 1:40
    1 x 50 fast kick @ 1:00
    1 x 50 EZ @ 2:00
    1 x 50 fast swim @ 1:00
    1 x 100 EZ swim
    1 x 100 fast
    1 x 200 EZ (did 150s)

Total: 3350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not surprisingly, only breaststroke and kicking feel halfway normal. On a couple of the 50s fast kick, I went 100ish pace and was surprised to come in at 25-26. So I can apparently still dolphin kick, though the power and punch are missing. Did a couple DPS 50 breasts at 31. At the very end of the workout, I cruise kicked a 100, working on SDKs, and came in at 1:04 with not much effort. I felt beat after this longish return practice. The treadmill does not transfer to the pool! I will venture back to the gym at some point, but will only do very light weights. I don't feel up to yoga yet; way too much weight and pressure on my shoulders/chest.

I felt really happy after that workout.

Updated September 17th, 2017 at 09:47 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 09/12/17: evening

by , September 12th, 2017 at 09:40 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    The Rec Center has reopened after a two week closure for cleaning. Masters tonight with the Noah, Greg, and Jim:

- 200 swim/100 kick/200 pull
    - 4 x 50 on 1:10 burst and cruise
    - 100 choice

4 x 125 on 2:10 (fast last 25)
    1 x 300 DPS
    4 x 75 on 1:40 (descend 1->4)
    1 x 200 kick/pull by 50

200 loosen and out
    [Masters/Rec/2300 yds/60 min]
    ---------------------------------------

My work schedule is still not conducive to swimming, but I plan to make the commitment to swim with the group every Tuesday evening. We'll see how long this goes...

Updated September 22nd, 2017 at 09:55 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 08/10/17: OW

by , August 10th, 2017 at 09:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Today is my daughter's 23rd birthday - an exciting day!

We visited one of the nearby state parks this afternoon and I took along my goggles. Before a little relaxation on the beach and catching up on a book that I have been (trying to find the time to) reading I was able to get in a 0.86 mile swim in just under 18 minutes, dodging the weeds and observing the fish along the way.

A great day!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Open Water
  9. Workout 08/05/17: morning

by , August 5th, 2017 at 01:12 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 swim/100 kick/200 pull +50 extra
    4 x 50 on 1:00 even pace

4 x 100 on 2:10 (descend: I did 150's)
    4 x 25 on :45 build
    3 x 150 on 3:00 (fast 2nd 50, I did 200's)
    4 x 25 on :45 burst and cruise
    2 x 200 on 3:30 (long and strong pull, I did 250's)
    4 x 25 fast
    150 kick-swim-pull by 50
    200 loosen and out
    [Masters/Rec/3100 yds/65 min]
    --------------------------------------

It was raining outside so we had a full pool. I split with Eric and Tim, Jim and Rebecca split with Blaine (visiting from DC), while Meg, Pipper, and Beth split the far lane. Off to a bluegrass concert later this evening.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 07/29/17: morning

by , July 29th, 2017 at 09:13 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Nice swim with the Masters group this morning.

6 x 100 on :20sr (s-k-p)
    6 x 75 on :20sr (fast middle 25 - did 1:15 interval)
    6 x 50 on :20sr (kick-swim, swim-kick)
    6 x 25 on :10sr (choice - 80% effort)
    1 x 300 pull (breathe only to the windows)
    1 x 200 (k-p by 50)
    10 x 25 on :45 (odds choice, evens fast free)
    100 loosen and out
    [Masters/Rec/2700 yds/65 min]
    --------------------------------------
    Added an extra 350 over the duration of the set.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Budapest Week 12 - Tuesday

by , July 25th, 2017 at 09:20 PM (After a long rest)
    I had to make a work trip to Biloxi today and could not make a direct flight work for my desired day trip so instead flew on an early flight to New Orleans and then drove to and from Biloxi. As a result, to do any kind of swim I had an even earlier than normal swim and was in the pool at 4:45 and had to finish at 5:30. I focused on speed power using the finis drag suit, and the power tower with 50lbs weights. I did rounds of 4 x 50s like last week. Unfortunately I was not as fast as last week but I was glad I did the workout.

Tomorrow I have several meetings in the morning and then my daughter and I drive to Austin for her TAGS meet.

I decided to continue my letter writing which went well at her last TAGS. I wrote her a short but heartfelt letter I will give her tomorrow telling her I am proud of her and the reasons why. I think I have said this before, but I have found writing very therapeutic and she liked my last letter so decided to give it another go.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Budapest week 12 - monday

by , July 24th, 2017 at 01:00 PM (After a long rest)
    Life continues to be busy, but generally all the busy is really good.

Last week was a weird week in the pool just not having a very good feel in the water. I have felt like I am transitioning from training to taper(which I am), but I still have a long way to go to Budapest(3 weeks). I am a worrier when it comes to tapers and I donít remember feeling like this, this early; I donít know if its good or bad. I saw the psych sheets over the weekend and I had a few butterflies as I saw where I am ranked. Generally I am top 10 in all my events. There are some familiar names, but some names I have never seen before and I am guessing some made up times(or times from a former swimming career).

The next couple of weeks are going to be challenging due to my daughters end of season swim schedule(TAGS Wednesday through Sunday and NCSA Monday through Saturday). I have made arrangements in Austin to swim but no plans yet to swim in Indy but obviously I plan on swimming in Indy.

We had a meet at our pool Friday through Sunday and my daughter swam mainly off events, but somehow managed to get 3 more TAGS cuts(200 IM, 400 Free, 200 Free) and narrowly missed the 100 fly. The meet was using chase starts and she caught and overtook the poor girl in the heat before her in the fly, which I think threw her off and also I think she was out too quick. Despite this she dropped 11 seconds on her 100 fly, which was pretty awesome!

I was quite congested last night from being on deck all weekend and felt pretty tired when I woke up this morning. When you combine this with not sleeping that solidly I was not expecting much this morning but actually did pretty good on the fast work with fins, holding 200 pace and felt pretty decent as the set progressed. My backstroke felt good also which looking at the worlds psych sheets is probably my best shot at a medal in Budapest.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :55

Main Sets
    4x(200 free on 2:40 smooth, 100 back on 1:40 smooth, 100 kick on 2mins smooth)
    100 easy
    10x50 working on high elbow catch on free
    All with fins
    100 at 200 pace, 50 easy back on 3mins
    112.5 at 200 pace, 37.5 easy back on 3mins
    125 at 200 pace, 25 easy back on 3mins
    137.2 at 200 pace, 12.5 easy back on 3mins
    150 at 200 pace on 3mins
    50 back easy

Warm down
    400 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 07/20/17: morning

by , July 20th, 2017 at 09:27 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    A quick swim this am - the pool was surprisingly empty!

200 free/200 back/200 im drill
    3x300 mix of kick/swim/pull
    200 loosen and out
    [Solo/Rec/1700 yds/31 min]
    ----------------------------------
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Budapest week 11 - Tuesday through Thursday

by , July 20th, 2017 at 06:05 PM (After a long rest)
    Life has been crazy busy and I am struggling to stay on top of the blogging.

Wednesday Pool Setup scy
    warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50
    Main Sets
    400 free on 1:15 base
    300 free on 1:10 base
    200 free on 1:05 base
    100 free on 1min
    4x(4x50 free at 200 race pace(26/27), 100 easy on 1:40)
    200 easy
    4x(4x25 rd1&3 free, rd2&4 back on :30 afap, 50 easy on 1min)
    100 easy
    10x50 kick on :50
    5x25 dive sprints working on entry, streamline and breakout

Warm down
    200 easy

I transitioned from lifting on Tuesday and Thursday to speed power in the pool this week. Tuesday the pool is setup scy so I was doing sprint 25s in rounds of 4 using parachutes, finis drag suit with pockets and power tower. Today the pool was setup LCM so I did 3 circuits of 4x50 using the drag suit as 12.5 fast, 25 easy, 12.5 fast, and then 4x50 using the parachute as 12.5 fast, 25 easy, 12.5 fast, and then switched to 4x50s in the lesson pool using the power tower loaded with 55lbs, followed by 4x50s as 25 afap, 25 easy in LCM. I was whooped at the end of both days workouts but was swimming fast.

The next couple of weeks are not ideal preparation for Budapest but would not change any of it. My daughter has TAGS in Austin and then we fly to Indianapolis for NCSA which is her first National level meet. Work is challenging at the same time but somehow we will make it all work. Luckily I have swimming friends in Austin and have arranged to train at Austin Swim Club between prelims and finals of my daughters meet. I still need to figure Indy out but I will find a way to swim. Indy week will be the real start of my taper so should be able to start to back off a little anyhow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. 07/18/17: Evening

by , July 18th, 2017 at 09:21 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a fun swim tonight, especially as my wife joined in for the first half.

200 swim/100 kick/200 pull
    4x50 burst and cruise
    100 non free
    4◊100 1:50
    3◊200 on 3:30
    3x100 on 1:45
    4x75 on 1:30
    4◊25 on :40
    200 loosen and out
    [Masters/Rec/2800 yds/60 min]
    ----------------------------------------
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Budapest week 10 - Sunday

by , July 17th, 2017 at 08:57 PM (After a long rest)
    I felt good today and felt like I was back on central time and at sea level.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on :55

main sets
    8x50 kick on 1min
    8x50 free as open, close, easy fast on 1min
    100 easy
    1x50 easy on :55
    1x50 free at 200 pace(:31/:32) on :55
    2x50 free at 200 pace(:31/:32) on :55
    3x50 free at 200 pace(:31/:32) on :55
    4x50 free at 200 pace(:31/:32) on :55
    100 easy
    5x200 pull easy on 3mins

held pace today and felt pretty good during the set.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Budapest week 11 - Monday

by , July 17th, 2017 at 08:52 PM (After a long rest)
    I slept well last night.

Pool setup LCM

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on :55

main sets
    10x50 free on :45
    5x100 kick on 1:50
    4x(200 free on 2:40, 100 free on 1:20, 50 free on :40, 50 as 25 underwater, 25 back on :50)
    100 easy
    400 free with fins starting with 4 dolphin kicks and adding a kick per turn
    8x50 back as 25 spin drill, 25 easy on 1min
    4x(3x50 free, #1 :45, #2 :40, #3 :35)

warm down
    200 free

i felt tired at the end of practice but was happy with how I did today.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Budapest week 9-10 - Altitude training

by , July 17th, 2017 at 08:46 PM (After a long rest)
    I traveled to Grand Junction with our senior group. Colorado Mesa was just awesome. Our accommodation, pool, and dinning were within a 1min walk from one another. The kids swam at 8am so I swam every morning at 5:30 and was averaging about 90 mins. I swam ok but really did not ever feel like adjusted to the altitude.

All workouts were LCM unless stated

July 4th
    warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on 1min

Main sets
    16*50 odd fly even breast. 1:00.
    4*150 kick 100 fast 25 under water, 25 easy on 2:50
    8*100 IM dec 1-4. On 1:40
    6*100 as 75back,25 free on 1:30

Warm down
    200 ez

July 5th
    warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on 1min

Main sets
    6*200 odd back on 2:45 even IM on 3:15
    12*100 as 75 streamline kick 25 no breath on 2mins

4 x( 6*50 build free :40
    3*100 free 1:25. 300 free 4mins)

8*50 slow perfect swim on 1min

12*50 as 25 underwater, 25 back with fins. :40.

July 6th
    warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on 1min

Main sets
    4 x (100 as 50 kick fast 50 free. 1:30
    200 as 50 free fast 100 bk 50 free fast. 3min 300 pull 3:50)

12* 50 back on :45 stew back

8*100 swim with fins. Odd stroke even free. 1:40. Go fast.
    200 ez.

July 7th
    5-4-3-2-1 warm up.
    16*100 pace work 1:45.
    400 perfect slow swim.
    3*250 back on 3:25
    12*50 kick. :55
    200 ez.

July 8th
    warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on 1min

Main sets
    8 x(2*50 free 40. 100 back on 1:35. 200 free 2:40)

12*50 kick dec 1-4 1:00.
    8* 100 free no breath last 25. 1:40.
    200 ez

July 9th(scy)
    warm up
    4x200 IM on 3:15

Main sets
    12*100 dec 1-3. Big decent 1:30
    10*50 back on :45.
    10*50 kick :50
    8*100. Odd fly even back 1:30
    12*25 under water :40

July 10th
    Warm up
    800 rev IM 25 stroke 25 free.

10*50 free :40
    8*100kick best avg on 2 mins
    200 ez.
    12*50 as 25 under water, 25 easy on 1min.
    200 all out from dive
    200 ez
    100 stroke all out from dive.
    200 ez.
    9*50 slow perfect swim on 1min

July 11th
    warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on 1min

Main sets
    12*50 back 1:00. Working rotation and under waters.
    8*100 kick Dec 1-4. On 2mins

16*50 open close easy fast on 1min
    4x(100 on 1:25, 100 on 1:20, 50 :45, 50 on :40)
    200 ez

July 12th
    600 warm up
    4*200 IM on 3:30.
    50*50 10 fly 1:00. 10 back :50. 10 breast 1:00 10 free :45 10 fly :55

4*100 kick on 2mins
    200 back Fast.
    200 ez

I would highly recommend the University of Colorado Mesa both for camp and as a great Division 2 school. I had a great opportunity to spend time talking with the aquatic director and a number of the life guards who swam on the team. All very impressive people.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 07/08/17: morning

by , July 8th, 2017 at 12:30 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 swim/100 kick/300 pull
    4 x 50 on 1:00 even pace
    100 non free swim

6x75 on 1:40 (did k/s/p)
    400 pull (breathe 3/5/4/3 by 100)
    100 kick (25 ez-25 fast)
    5 x 50 on 1:00 (quarter's strong, last on easy)

6 x 25 fast (as a group in middle lane - OW start experience)
    100 kick
    200 loosen and out
    [Masters/Rec/2500 yds/1 hr]
    -------------------------------------

A big crowd today with Matt and Eric splitting with me, Tim and Greg, and Rebecca and Meg. Sarah was on her own. The 25's were a blast!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Budapest week 9 - Thursday

by , July 6th, 2017 at 11:43 PM (After a long rest)
    I didn't not feel that great this morning despite sleeping great and feeling good before I swam. I misread Tom's workout which was in scy while I am training LCM and the 200s after the warmup set I did on very short intervals and paid the price as the workout went on. I was whooped and at the end struggled to hold a 1:20 base pace today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on 1min

main sets
    6x200 odds back on 2:45, evens IM on 3min
    12x50 kick on 1min
    4x(2x50 free on :40, 2x100 free on 1:20, 300 free on 4mins)

warm down
    200 easy

after the kids workout today we went on a really cool hike to devils kitchen which was just stunning. The weather was awesome and our kids really enjoyed the hike. Thus far the kids training camp has gone great and I am having a lot of fun.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 489 123451151101 ... LastLast