View RSS Feed

bzaks1424

Hit the wall

Rate this Entry
For the first time ever I will completely concede that I'm probably over training. Today I had to leave work early, tried to work from home, ended up passed out for 4 hours. I still want to go to sleep again, but I know if I do I won't sleep at all tonight. I'm also frustrated - I constantly feel the need to go go go but this pool has been the great equalizer in my body. Times when I used to run on fumes for days now I just crash and shut down. I guess I liked doing that - it always gave a sense of "epic" in my head.

So I have a pretty regular schedule for my body:

5 AM Wake up, hit alarm.
5:15 AM - Actually get up.
--Sometime between now and 6, I make my 8 egg whites with veggies and my lunch for the day. I usually shower (if I didn't the night before)
6:30-7 AM Get to my desk job where I climb ten flights of stairs (roughly 120 stairs) to my desk.
8:30 Eat my protein shake
10:30 Eat some yogurt
11:30-12 Lunch!
2 PM - eat my home made protein bar!
3:00 PM Leave my job.
4 PM Start my Lifting circuits at the gym. (3 circuits of 3-4 exercises (core always included) performed 3 times for each circuit)
5 PM Go home and chill. Do something like laundry, work on my personal computer stuff, mow the lawn, etc...
---(T/Th) 7:45 PM go to the pool, swim my rear off for my coach.---
10 PM get home, try to bring my body down as much as possible.
11-11:30 PM Bed.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, I'm usually pretty cool, I can go to bed early (like 9 PM). Life is good. Wednesdays USED to be the same way, except this Wednesday I had two consulting gigs back to back that lasted until 10 PM (then grocery shopping). So come today (Friday) I get to work just exhausted, burnt out, etc... and I just can't stay awake at my desk.

So what do people do when they're in these situations? My swim practice is late (which ironically was one of the reasons I wanted to go to this masters club...) but I get home from practice and my body is just roaring with adrenaline and I usually don't sleep worth anything those nights.

Some good news: I'm down to around 220 pounds. I haven't been this light since high school! Age 25 and in the best shape of my life! :-D

And if anyone ever reads this, I'd like to say: Thank you to the masters community. This community has made me feel more at home than any other community I've been in in a long time. Growing up I was always taught to say thank you to those who helped you. I will say everyone here has :-)

Submit "Hit the wall" to Digg Submit "Hit the wall" to del.icio.us Submit "Hit the wall" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hit the wall" to Google

Comments

Although I don't always take this medicine, looks like you're not sleeping enough.

Any opportunity to swim early mornings? I find working out at night severly compromises my ability to sleep.

Are you lifting/drylands every day?

Are you taking a rest day or two each week?
    I'm loving this community, too! I still feel new to the party, and am enjoying the reception.

My only regular opportunity to swim is from 6-7:30 am, and I tend to schedule my life around that, and it means that I never see beyond 10pm. I also wake up at 5, but I get up up then, the snoozing kills me, but the swim makes me feel awake all day, which I imagine is the problem you're having, being too awake.

Come to think of it, I just had a rare evening practice, and I didn't realize how late it got, because I'm buzzing, reading all these blogs... I am curious if there's a way to go right to bed after a practice.
    You sir, in your training efforts, have a complete disregard for rest. Yes, you are over training.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, pick 1 focus. Either lose weight, strength train or train swimming to drop time in something specific. This should help keep you from getting frustrated with your progress, and your activity list will be prioritized so you know what activities will be put on hold when you need an extra hour of sleep.

It looks like you have put some serious thought into your diet. Do you like it?
    Yeah - I totally don't get enough rest.
    I do take one rest day a week, generally that's Saturday. I do admit I feel AMAZING the next day (imagine that!). That means that my dry land is 6 days a week, lifting split between (back/chest/shoulders), arms, and legs with core in every workout.
    I unfortunately do not have a good opportunity to swim in the mornings as my team only practices in the evenings on t/th/sun. I get to work so early so I can have my evenings to get the things done that need done (mow the lawn, get a hair cut, go grocery shopping, play with the dog... etc...).

As far as all of those activities go, I understand that I'm probably seriously over doing it. I didn't even mention all of the extra curriculars I do outside of just swimming. (I'm on a basketball team and 2 slow pitch softball teams as well). I started running last week too (always during the day). This is my basic priority though:

1) Swimming <-- As I said it's the one thing that keeps my body in check and keeps me from getting even less sleep than I already do.
    2) Lifting <-- I'm on a good program and the core training has done wonders for me in 2 short weeks
    3) Basketball <-- Its my favorite sport after swimming. I played all through high school and intramural in college.
    4) Softball League #1 (Coed)
    5) Softball League #2 (Men's)
    6) Running <-- I actually hate running, but I want to do a tri next spring, so I need to start preparing now.
    The fun thing about this is that: Swimming happens at night, everything else is all during the earlier evening, so I can get home and chill pretty easily.

I think my diet is really well thought out, but I'm always nervous I'm not doing something right (not so much in thought, but more in execution). I currently have a very strong focus on protein while still maintaining a consistent regimen of fruits, veggies and grains. i REALLY do like it too. I basically feel like I'm eating all the time. Which is good because I love to eat a lot!

I've also taken up meditation. I'm going to try and slow down my body after practices and see if I can't get my body to a "sleep ready" state after practices.

Thanks for looking into this for me. I'll keep you all posted on how this week goes.