View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Saturday 06/05/2010: East Valley Summer Invite Meet

Rate this Entry
I did make it out for my team's East Valley Summer Invite Meet today.

Arrived at the pool somewhere around 7:15, and it was fairly dead. water was a bit on the warm side, Paul said 80, but I'd say closer to 82. I warmed up in my usual training brief and drag suit. after verifying (and showing Laura) that my old Fastskin brief was ok to wear, I changed and wore that for all my events. After I got settled, I got in for the following (LCM)--

700 gradual build
8 x 50 @ 1:00, goal to hold :45 on each (wasn't a problem)
100 easy

while the 1500 was going on (I may like distance, but that just seems extreme), I got in a nice 400 to warm myself back up.

due to both some computer problems and a freeway closure, they delayed the start of the meet a bit. maybe 20-30 min I'd guess. I took my watch off before I got in the water and didn't put it back on until I left.

all of my seed times were pretty much pulled out of the air. I used some practice times, but purposely didn't even look at my prior times since they are so old.

the entire MAC coaching staff was on-deck in some capacity. Paul and Laura running around making sure things were as they should be, and they both swam a few events. Sheila was officiating. Laurel sat in the bleachers mid-pool, cheered people on, and got all splits (even for 50s!). Jon was there, helping Laurel and guiding with any questions.

my 1st event, 800 free
seed time: 12:40
I've swam this event at meets twice that I know of, in 1999 (final time was 12:15), and 2002 (final time was 12:12).
today's time: 11:31
thoughts: while my seed time was based on a 1:35 base, I secretly hoped I could do a 1:30 base. the idea to do the 50s holding 45 was a great one, and I'll keep that for the future. Just before I started, Lindsay told me to break it into 4 x 200s...settle into the first, mostly easy on the second, build the third, and fast on the last. I mostly tried to do that. Just a few weeks ago in workout, I tried to hold a 1:30 base for a 600 but was just over, so I'm very happy with this time.
Thanks to Patrick for counting for me! Hopefully I didn't splash him too bad.

after the 800, I went back to the warm-up lane, got in a nice easy 200. then I thought I should warm-up my breast a little for my 100. initially there was supposed to be a 30 min break between the last heat of the 800 (mine) and the next event, 100 breast, but due to the late start that went down to 10 min. so I got maybe 20 min rest.

my 2nd event: 100 breast
seed time: 1:36
past times: in 1999 1:33, in 2002 1:29
time today: 1:29
thoughts: I've done little to no breast training, but for some reason I've done much in the past and have a good base. I'm happy I at least matched my past time, and I know I can go faster if I actually swim it once in a while.
I had no one even near me, which didn't help too much. Laurel said my splits were around :41 and :47, so I have something to work on.

I did about 200 easy and had about 20 min again until my next event. I did stop at the bulkhead to watch some of the fast guys swim the next heat of the 100 breast...good stuff. Jeff Commings looks like he doesn't even have to try. And Patrick did around 1:21. Had I put in a more accurate time, I think I would have been seeded with them.

my 3rd event: 100 free
seed time: 1:18
past times: 1999 1:15, 2002 1:16
today's time: 1:12
thoughts: just before my heat, Laura ran by and asked how I'd do. I said 1:15, and she said she expected a 1:13. This is something I've worked a little on, so I'm happy that I improved over the years, and I think I can drop another 1-2 sec with some form improvements. I probably took too many dolphin kicks off the blocks (I'd guess 9 or 10). But again, I was seeded in a slower group, no one near me, so I was out on my own.

my shoulders were starting to get a little tight after the 100, so I think I did at least 400 meters easy swimming, threw in a little breast. I did watch some of the fast people swim in the last heat of the 100. had a longer break, maybe 30 min before my next event.

my 4th event: 50 breast
seed time: :43
past times: 1999 :41.82, 2002 :40.55
today's time: :41 (don't have the exact time)
thoughts: I should have been DQ'd. I went off the block (very high with blocks on the bulkhead), did a nice deep dive, followed by at least 3 dolphin kicks before I realized what I had done. rather than push things too much, I just kind of did a relaxed stroke down to the other end, expecting an official with a DQ slip. But that didn't happen. I got very far out ahead of the crowd, could have been through poor seeding, or those dolphin kicks, I didn't see a soul near me.
Later on in the meet, Laura Winslow (Patrick's coach) told me that I just wasn't pacing this for a 50, I was doing a 100 or even 200 pace. Then I told her why, and she agreed.
If I have a brain and don't screw this up, I think I could easily do this in :38, especially if I do more breast training.

got in 200 after the breast, relaxed a bit on deck, had maybe 20 min before my last event.

my 5th event: 50 free
seed time: :33
past times: 1999 :34.01, 2002 :34.66
today's time: :33 (again don't have exact)
thoughts: this time I did take the deep dive, then around 10 dolphin kicks. Probably too many. and I wasn't first, it was annoying that the gal in the lane next to me was just a hair ahead. push as much as I could I just couldn't catch her, but she did make a great rabbit to try to catch. I was tired, sore, and pretty much just fried.

went over to the warm-up lane and did a nice easy 400. I did throw in a little breast (maybe 100 total), but mostly just wanted to get my free relaxed, and my shoulders relaxed.

total distance swam (for my GTD): 4100m

General thoughts--
* Paul and Laura put together a great event! I registered very spur of the moment and very late, but they were very flexible with everything. Funny story, one of the reasons I decided to finally do another meet was all the discussion about tech suits, and how some people felt I wasn't qualified to give an opinion since I didn't race (one person posted a link to this event). Well now that doesn't apply.
* Turnout wasn't as big as what I remember at past meets, but those were the official 'state' meets, this seemed more like a team meet. Sure we had some Sun Devil Masters there, Phoenix Swim Club, a couple people from Tucson, and the odd visitors, but I'd guess 75% of the people who swam were from my team.
* We also had a great turnout of officials, timers, and other volunteers. I was so surprised to see so many people I swim with.
* As for my swimming, I guess I did as expected. I'm not a sprinter, and shouldn't even fake it. The limit was 5 events, and Laura told me it would be short (I didn't realize so short, all of my events took place in 3 hours). I did consider some 200s and even the 400 free, but with such a short time, after an 800...I decided against it.
* I really need to work more on my breast. Before I started with masters groups, I wasn't too comfortable swimming free and would swim on my own whole sets of breast. One summer in college, a lifeguard refined all my strokes, and she really cleaned up my breast. After I started masters, I'd do it once in a while, but it is just so easy to do free when intervals are tight. With getting back into running, my legs sometimes just can't handle breast. But I have a good base, and did decent in it. I could fake a 50, even a 100...but a 200 requires training, and I didn't feel ready for that yet. But a 200 breast is my best shot of reaching an NQT, so it is something I need to work on.
* Now Paul wants me to do more meets, of course. The Phoenix Swim Club is holding a 'state' meet in about a month. This is a 3-day setup, with distance events Friday night, and other things Sat-Sun. Ideally, I'd like to do the 800 (or even 1500) on Friday, and do 1 day of the meet where I'd get in a 200 breast (if I'm ready), and some other stuff. We'll see how that fits into my schedule.

Overall, it was a great experience. Just a few hours, I was home by 12:30. And it was nice to meet Patrick, see others who I hadn't seen for a long time, and it was just a generally fun experience. If nothing else, I will do some of these team meets periodically. Weather wasn't too bad, it was about 100 when I left.

Ideally, I'm hoping to get out for a run tomorrow morning. Nowhere near the 15 miles I did last week, but 12 would be nice, but I'd settle for even 10. Our temps are getting up there (high near 110 tomorrow), so it will be an early start.

Submit "Saturday 06/05/2010:  East Valley Summer Invite Meet" to Digg Submit "Saturday 06/05/2010:  East Valley Summer Invite Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday 06/05/2010:  East Valley Summer Invite Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday 06/05/2010:  East Valley Summer Invite Meet" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I think I was the guy who posted the link to the meet on the forum thread, so glad that helped get you there and, even more, that you had fun. I kind of 'get it' why lots of masters swimmers don't go to meets, but I think if more came to them and saw how relaxed and fun they can be, they might enjoy it.

You swam very well today, especially to do great swims even after the 800.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I think I was the guy who posted the link to the meet on the forum thread, so glad that helped get you there and, even more, that you had fun. I kind of 'get it' why lots of masters swimmers don't go to meets, but I think if more came to them and saw how relaxed and fun they can be, they might enjoy it.

You swam very well today, especially to do great swims even after the 800.
    Yes you were the guy, and initially I was a bit annoyed, but hey it gave me the push. Within a minute after I saw your post, I emailed Laura to see if I could still register.

I'm not going to do a 180 on meets, but now knowing that not all meets are sitting around for days in blazing sun or rain, I'm more apt to do them. A small half-day affair in a friendly environment...really how can one pass that up?

I really didn't think there would be so much of a difference between practice times and meet times. And this was without much if any taper. If I cut weights, and even running (now that would be tough), I might be even faster. I'm pretty happy that my times are similar to faster after 8 years. Swimming with Paul and Laura has certainly helped.
    I am about to walk out the door, but I wanted to say congratulations and that I am glad you had fun at the meet. I will comment more later.
    Nice times, excellent job on your 800. Do the 1500 at the next meet if it fits in. yeah, do the 400 and 200 breast at another meet. You did the right thing by doing shorter events after the 800. I think that you are more than ready for a 200 breast.
    Those are some nice swims, Tim! Glad to hear you had a good time.
    That looks like some great swimming! And I love to hear that you enjoyed it, too. Congrats!
    I think small meets are more fun than big meets too. 3 to 4 hours is plenty for a meet. Dealing with "oh crap I have another swim in a few minutes" is so much easier to deal with compared to "it is probably 3 hours until my next swim." Nationals was a lot of fun because I "knew of" so many people there. Other wise the length of the meet would have bored me to tears if I was just waiting around for my events.

The state meet and the Zone meets have much bigger turn outs. You might have gotten a lot of pressure from your coaches to attend this meet because you were the host team, but there is only an email sent out for the local meets on my team. Relay meets and Zones, on the other hand, have the coaches actively recruiting. We don't have state meets probably because Texas makes up most of the Zone, and almost always hosts both Zones meets.

I like your idea of swimming a couple days of a multiple day meet.

I really didn't think there would be so much of a difference between practice times and meet times.
    There are very few people who can race during practice anywhere close to what they do during a meet. It would have been interesting to see your 50 free times compared.

Cutting weights makes a huge difference. I am shocked when I cut weights and then rocket through practice. I am shocked EVERY time I do it, and I drop weights frequently.

I don't know about running

Good job today and I am really glad you enjoyed yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I think small meets are more fun than big meets too. 3 to 4 hours is plenty for a meet. Dealing with "oh crap I have another swim in a few minutes" is so much easier to deal with compared to "it is probably 3 hours until my next swim." Nationals was a lot of fun because I "knew of" so many people there. Other wise the length of the meet would have bored me to tears if I was just waiting around for my events.

The state meet and the Zone meets have much bigger turn outs. You might have gotten a lot of pressure from your coaches to attend this meet because you were the host team, but there is only an email sent out for the local meets on my team. Relay meets and Zones, on the other hand, have the coaches actively recruiting. We don't have state meets probably because Texas makes up most of the Zone, and almost always hosts both Zones meets.

I like your idea of swimming a couple days of a multiple day meet.

There are very few people who can race during practice anywhere close to what they do during a meet. It would have been interesting to see your 50 free times compared.

Cutting weights makes a huge difference. I am shocked when I cut weights and then rocket through practice. I am shocked EVERY time I do it, and I drop weights frequently.

I don't know about running

Good job today and I am really glad you enjoyed yourself.
    Wow, thanks for all the analysis!!!

Back when I did meets regularly, we really only had state meets, one for each SCY, LCM, and SCM. These smaller team meets seemed to pop up over the past few years. And I agree that I'd rather cram in 5 events in 3 hours than have to wait hours for another event. But I'd have to make sure they were balanced events, which I mostly seemed to do today.

There are zone meets, that are typically in Long Beach or somewhere in S Cal. I've never gone to one, and it sounds like many of the same people who would go to nationals go to the zone meet. Once in a while one of the AZ state meets will be designated the zone meet, but it doesn't really seem to change the size of the meet.

Paul and Laura made announcements during workout at least twice a week for the past month about this meet, plus included info in a couple emails with other team news. Nothing overpowering, but they did make sure we all knew. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think their program reminds me of the ASU masters group when Ron was there. Paul would chat with me and try to plant an idea to do one of the distance events, similar to the way Ron used to tell me how I'd be such a good fit for the 200 breast.

A nice thing about a multi-day meet is being able to do more events, including a distance event. One gal on my team did the 1500, and she was pretty fried for the rest of the meet. I think her only other event was the 50 free (I hate to say 'only' when her race distance is still 1550). But doing an 800 or 1500 on a Friday night after work, then I could sleep, go the next day and be able to do 3 or so events mostly fresh.

My 50 free time was about the same as I've done in workout. I think mostly because I was a bit worn by then. And in workouts, we start from the wall blocks (I've never seen blocks on the bulkhead before). The bulkhead blocks seemed to waiver a bit. Sure, the 50 is something I can work on during workouts...as everything else really depends on it. But I think I'm done racing it, for now (but 50 breast I'll give another shot).

When I did meets before, I didn't lift nor run, and I believe both of those earlier meets were tapered. I have a feeling that tapering off running, and none the week before, would also help.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Nice times, excellent job on your 800. Do the 1500 at the next meet if it fits in. yeah, do the 400 and 200 breast at another meet. You did the right thing by doing shorter events after the 800. I think that you are more than ready for a 200 breast.
    Thanks Tom! I'm not as fast as you, but I'm happy with these times. Especially the 800. I think I'd like to get in the 400, and 200 (both breast and free).

I'm sure tired tonight though. I don't know how you do this so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Those are some nice swims, Tim! Glad to hear you had a good time.
    Thanks Matt. Yes, surprised myself on a few, and just squeaked by on some, but overall it was a good experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    That looks like some great swimming! And I love to hear that you enjoyed it, too. Congrats!
    Thanks swimmerb, and welcome to the forums. I've read some of your blog postings since I noticed it recently. Yes, mostly good swims for me, and it was a good time. My coaches are great!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, thanks for all the analysis!!!

When I did meets before, I didn't lift nor run, and I believe both of those earlier meets were tapered. I have a feeling that tapering off running, and none the week before, would also help.
    I think you mock me

You are probably right about the running, but I am not qualified to have an opinion on tapering off of running

We have 3 local meets a year, a SCY, SCM and LCM hosted by DAM. If there are any gaps in your local meet schedule, I bet your team will try to host a meet.

If Zones is a reasonable drive, it is always heavily recruited for here, but PHX to LAX isn't the easiest drive.
    Hey, congrats on your meet. Those are really nice times, especially on your 800 FR and 100 BR. I'm really happy for you--kudos on swimming the meet in the first place, and then doing so well.

I like doing a lot of events even at smaller meets, but find there is a performance drop for the last few--5 really hard swims in 3 hours is simply pushing the limits of what your body can do, even when you're well trained. Still, I think the fun and challenge of it is worth it--you just have to adjust your expectations for those last few times. I'm betting that if you swam a 50 and even 100 FR without the fatigue of the 800 hanging over you, you might really amaze yourself!

And yeah, I've had that complete mental zoning-out before at meets that you experienced on the start of your 50 BR. There's something about the excitement of being up on the blocks and reacting to the start that can just shut your brain off for a bit. I think it's pretty neat that you still managed to pull a 41 out of that swim--it sounds like you have a nice natural breaststroke. And yeah, given your great conditioning and penchant for swimming distance, I"m guessing the 200 BR would be a pretty good event for you if you chose to train it.

Congrats again, and do sign up for some more meets! I like reading success stories!

Wohoo! Great job! So glad you gave it a go. And you posted some very nice times.
    Congrats on your times and glad you had fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I think you mock me

You are probably right about the running, but I am not qualified to have an opinion on tapering off of running

We have 3 local meets a year, a SCY, SCM and LCM hosted by DAM. If there are any gaps in your local meet schedule, I bet your team will try to host a meet.

If Zones is a reasonable drive, it is always heavily recruited for here, but PHX to LAX isn't the easiest drive.
    No, I don't mock you, I always appreciate your insight. Sometimes a bit out there, but you sometimes find unusual things. And that is without seeing my stroke. Maybe someday I'll have the guts to get a video done and post it.

Already Paul and Laura have 2 SCM meets planned, I think in Oct and Dec. I'm sure they'll have at least 1 SCY meet before nationals next year too. The AZ State Games meet is in a few weeks (SCY) very close to where I live, and again I've thought of doing that for a while.

There's usually a summer meet in Flagstaff that I keep saying that I'll do, but I never have. I have swam in the NAU pool, and it is quite an experience, just attempting to workout at 8,000 feet. There are usually some Olympic hopefuls you'll see using the pool too. The AZ LMSC has all the events online, and they're always adding more.

If not before, I'll taper off running before a meet when I hope to get an NQT, like when I swim a 200 breast. I'd imagine a week break would work wonders with my swimming.
    Great job! Nice to see that you went to the meet and competed.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Wohoo! Great job! So glad you gave it a go. And you posted some very nice times.
    Hey thanks, and I may have shifted my anti-meet stance at the same time. Not quite a 180 to swimming in every possible meet, but certainly more willing to give it a try now. I'm training my butt off, I might as well see how I'm doing every once in a while.

Of course Laura took tons of pics, and I've already seen at least one of me on Facebook. Oh well, so much for keeping a low profile...
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Hey, congrats on your meet. Those are really nice times, especially on your 800 FR and 100 BR. I'm really happy for you--kudos on swimming the meet in the first place, and then doing so well.

I like doing a lot of events even at smaller meets, but find there is a performance drop for the last few--5 really hard swims in 3 hours is simply pushing the limits of what your body can do, even when you're well trained. Still, I think the fun and challenge of it is worth it--you just have to adjust your expectations for those last few times. I'm betting that if you swam a 50 and even 100 FR without the fatigue of the 800 hanging over you, you might really amaze yourself!

And yeah, I've had that complete mental zoning-out before at meets that you experienced on the start of your 50 BR. There's something about the excitement of being up on the blocks and reacting to the start that can just shut your brain off for a bit. I think it's pretty neat that you still managed to pull a 41 out of that swim--it sounds like you have a nice natural breaststroke. And yeah, given your great conditioning and penchant for swimming distance, I"m guessing the 200 BR would be a pretty good event for you if you chose to train it.

Congrats again, and do sign up for some more meets! I like reading success stories!

Thanks! I think we need to get you, SwimStud, and I together at a meet sometime swimming at least 1 event in the same heat. We're all pretty similar speeds and it could be good fun.

Yea, I definitely felt it after a couple of events. An 800 is quite taxing... Now that Paul and Laura saw me doing breast again (and they chatted with Laura Winslow who remembered me doing meets before), I think they're all scheming to get me trained for the 200 breast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Woman
    Congrats on your times and glad you had fun!
    Thanks, guess I'll get to meet you and Mr. Medicine Woman at nationals next year, unless you decide to come out for a meet in the pool before that.

Hope you enjoy going to Hawaii....twice!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast