View RSS Feed

Too Neurotic to be Suitably Aquatic

So Long and Thanks for All the FISH

Rate this Entry
Went to the NYC Parks & Recreation LCM Meet today! Long pool, short meet, great people & they charge $0 for it!

This is the first LCM meet I've swam that isn't Middlebury, which is coming up in three weeks. I used this one to kind of prep for that, to get some times under my belt in events I've never done like the 50 back & 50 fly.

The first swim was the 200 Free, which I always feel compelled to do because it's my favorite. I also had the rare pleasure of being seeded right next to someone in my age group, so I had a real race. She kept me going when I thought I was going to die at the 125, and I eked out a small victory by a few seconds. Sadly, there were three other 30-34 year old women in other heats who handily beat us, and I got no ribbon, and have no memory of what my time was. Something like 2:50something*. Will report on that later.

The next race was the 50 free, where I got to swim right next to my lane-mate Theresa. She's 20 years older and one second faster. That race felt great, I kept my head down and in the water for about 25 meters, and pulled out a 36.53 (PR! Just barely!* And 3rd place! Out of 4!) I was told to work on hand speed next time.

After that was the 50 back. It felt great, but was so slow! (51.42, NOT a PR*) In the past few weeks, I've gotten some great tips on improving my stroke and I implemented them, today, and thought I was doing pretty well. I don't get it, the more backstroke feels right, the slower it goes. This stroke is just a mystery to me.

Last up was the 50 Fly. My goal was to survive, and upon survival, enter the 200 IM at Middlebury with some confidence. I swam a 50.40, which I feel proud about, considering I just learned the stroke a year and a half ago. It actually didn't feel half-bad, and I was able to exit the pool on my own accord.

Overall thoughts:
If I'm going to make the trip to Vermont worth it, I have to not sustain any more ridiculous injuries between now and then. Right now, I'm a tapestry of bruises between Thursday's cooler falling on my arm, hitting my elbow on the corner of my car, Saturday's falling out of a sailboat into the Hudson (with my cell phone in my pocket!) and a hand injury sustained just moments ago as I tried to open a stubborn bottle of CranApple. I'm also sore and tired and crabby about finances, and I have three weeks to get into some kind of race shape so I can go after those PR's that sustain me.

Oh, and the pool at Flushing is great. Swim it if you have a chance, but it really could have used a rope across the half-way point. Maybe I'll blame my backstroke time on the lack of that.

I don't think I was totally in the game today. Something was off, and I think it might have been the creeping stress of personal life, and the disappointment that there were all those other fast girls in the 200. I really like ribbons. There was a point where I just didn't want to do it, but I got over it, and there were 6 other FISH there cheering each other on. It's hard not to be buoyed by the team spirit.

I just made a strawberry rhubarb pie*. It looks fantastic, but it's not going to cool in time for me to enjoy it as a post-meet reward, so I'll probably eat a slice after tomorrow's workout.

*Updated: I was looking at my SHORT Course Meters results... When I went back and looked at the LONG Course, I realized I did much better than I thought. And today was the first time I've ever done a LCM 50 back. Also, I've been putzing around so long this evening, putting together tomorrow's music mix, I had a chance to eat a slice of the pie. It was good, for a first-go at this recipe. Yum local foods!

Submit "So Long and Thanks for All the FISH" to Digg Submit "So Long and Thanks for All the FISH" to del.icio.us Submit "So Long and Thanks for All the FISH" to StumbleUpon Submit "So Long and Thanks for All the FISH" to Google

Updated June 6th, 2010 at 10:38 PM by swimmerb212 (Actually looked at the correct results)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments