View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Convalescing

Rate this Entry
I had surgery on Friday and am currently at home recovering. Everything went quite wellóthe operation was able to be done laparoscopically, and I only had to spend one night in the hospital. Iím still a little sore and have been instructed not to lift much, but am able to walk around fine. Best of all, I got cleared by my surgeon this morning to get back in the pool whenever I feel like it, with the caveat that I take it very easy at first. Hurray! I hope to go over to my Y pool and swim a few laps on my ownóor at least float and scull a bitóthis afternoon or tomorrow. I donít anticipate going to organized workouts until next week at the earliest, but Iíll just go by how I feel.

As I see how my recovery goes over the next few weeks, I can finally start making plans for my summer swimming season. My LMSCís first (and perhaps only) LCM meet was yesterday, and while I was bummed to have to miss it, I have been really enjoying hearing my teammatesí reports trickle in. I do hope that I can do at least one LC meet in July or August, since I absolutely love LC and would be sad not to post any times in it this season. LC nats looks like a long shot, but I havenít counted it out entirely yet. I might be able to do the CZ meet if itís scheduled at College Park in August, depending on which weekend it isóIím keeping my eyes peeled for more info on that one.

I do have a couple of hospital observations, some swimming-related:

The nurses were thrilled with my arms, which are still mostly hairless from having shaved down in Atlanta. It made the tape holding various IV-related tubing stick really well, and pulling tape and bandaids off me was probably less painful since it wasnít a de facto wax job.

Monitoring equipment is not set up for well conditioned adults with low heart rates. In the recovery room, every time I fell asleep, the monitors attached to me would start beeping, because they were set to alarm whenever patientsí heart rates fell under 50. I finally convinced the nurses that my normal resting heart rate was actually lower than that. (Little rant: Itís exasperating that patientsí stats are just compared to population averages and not individual baselines, even when the data to make the latter comparison exist. Maybe increased computerization of patient records will bring about some change here, but Iím not holding my breath.)

Watching ďHouseĒ when youíre actually in a hospital is not as amusing as the idea of doing it is. This is one of my fave tv shows at home, but it was too winceful-making to watch once I was lying IVed in a hospital bed. Baseball games are far more soothing.

Thatís it! Iím so very glad and grateful to be home, and my keys this week are being patient and careful as I begin resuming my normal life and exercise routines.

Submit "Convalescing" to Digg Submit "Convalescing" to del.icio.us Submit "Convalescing" to StumbleUpon Submit "Convalescing" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I tried watching an episode of "House" a week before scheduled surgery. Bad, bad idea. Hope you're feeling better, and sorry you missed yesterday's meet! (It was the one in Flushing you meant?) I was there with FISH, and it was quite enjoyable, fast pool.

I just heard word of a Wilton, CT LCM meet on July 11 from Metro, but we probably won't go. Feel better soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    I tried watching an episode of "House" a week before scheduled surgery. Bad, bad idea. Hope you're feeling better, and sorry you missed yesterday's meet! (It was the one in Flushing you meant?) I was there with FISH, and it was quite enjoyable, fast pool.

I just heard word of a Wilton, CT LCM meet on July 11 from Metro, but we probably won't go. Feel better soon!
    Yeah, the Flushing meet is the one I meant. Sounds like everyone had a good time there. I like swimming in that pool--it's a cheerful bright place. It's really great of the Parks Dept. to host those meets for masters swimmers every year.

And congrats on your swims there--it's a pretty nifty trick when you can mistake your LCM times for SCM ones!

Tthanks for the date for the Wilton meet. I've done that one in the past and hope I can go back this year. It's a nice outdoor pool, and there's always a bbq afterwards--fun times!
    feel better soon. There is a LCM meet in August in Rahway, NJ. The pool is not great but if you need some LCM racing, that is an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    feel better soon. There is a LCM meet in August in Rahway, NJ. The pool is not great but if you need some LCM racing, that is an option.
    Thanks Tom!

I did that Rahway meet a couple of summers ago and enjoyed it. The pool's a fairly easy drive from Manhattan. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the meet info. (And if I do go I won't sign up for events scheduled late in the meet--they ended up getting cancelled the last time I went due to time limitations!)
    Swimsuit Addict!!!! I'm so happy to hear you are doing so well!!! You are such a positive-spirited person and such a breath-of-fresh-air; I'm not a bit surprised you are faring so well!!!! Keep up the good work!

What do you do with stubble on your arms? Do you get arm stubble?

My son (the pro skateboarder) is leaving Friday morning for 2 wks in NYC! He's pumped!
    I just loaned him my flip video cam for fun!

take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Swimsuit Addict!!!! I'm so happy to hear you are doing so well!!! You are such a positive-spirited person and such a breath-of-fresh-air; I'm not a bit surprised you are faring so well!!!! Keep up the good work!

What do you do with stubble on your arms? Do you get arm stubble?

My son (the pro skateboarder) is leaving Friday morning for 2 wks in NYC! He's pumped!
    I just loaned him my flip video cam for fun!

take care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks so much Bobinator! I'm blushing from your praises.

I just read an article about a cool skateboard park in Queens. (It caught my eye because it's in the same park as the newish 50M pool.) It sounds really cool. Will your son be skateboarding there? I hope he enjoys his stay in the city!

As for arm stubble, I don't do much about it except marvel that it takes so incredibly long to grow back in. It's usually 3-4 months before my arms stop feeling stubbly to me. (I can't actually see the stubble except in sunlight, because it's blonde--about the only thing that looks different about my arms is that my freckles are more noticeable without the arm hair.)