View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Masters PR Ends

Rate this Entry
Run + Bike:

The viral malaise, which still lingers, caused me to set a masters sloth PR for most consecutive days with no exercise. I would probably have pushed it sooner, but I decided to stick with my 2 weeks of prescribed recovery. It helped that I was ridiculously busy last weekend, attending among other things Speedo's 80s themed 40th birthday party! Definitely had some blog withdrawal!

Because the temps fell below 90, I decided it was time for the "post meet run." This used to be a tradition, but I consulted my FB Run Logger and I see that I haven't run since Jan. 23. Egads! In any event, I muddled through my usual 5 mile loop with some walking during water breaks and on an up. Then I came home and hit the indoor bike for 30 minutes. I plan on venturing to the pool tomorrow for some pre-vacation swimming. Note: I am definitely in need of new running shoes, as my shoes have been battered by my gym workouts.

Meet/OW Schedule:

I was muddling over my tentative meet schedule for the next year or so. Coach Cheryl told me that Zones was going to be earlier this year, so I'm worried it will conflict with the Boston Marathon on April 18. If so, I will either need another taper meet or bag tapering for SCY. I will be FINA 50 next year, so meters is definitely more appealing at the moment. Of course, if our ED prevails in re-visiting tech suits for SCY (besides for the boys who want their short johns), I may have to reassess.

Since I just took 2 weeks off and am taking 4 weeks of vacation this summer, I'm definitely de-emphasizing LCM meets this season and don't care much about my times. This is quite fine, as I'm been feeling a bit meeted out from short course and want to do things that are not purely sprint focused. (No, this does not mean I'll be swimming the 1000 free at Zones ... or even the 200.) Still wondering about the advisability of 2 OW swims, but I apparently need to do this to ensure marital bliss ... I will definitely be wearing a wetsuit, , as will basically everyone in these events. I've also heard that B70 is coming out with "something special" for OW.

So far, I'm thinking:

Aug. 21-22: LCM Zones at UMD

Sept. 19: Savageman 1/2 Iron Triathlon (relay)

Oct. 24: GMUP Sprint Classic (SCY)

Nov. 13: Beach 2 Battlefield Ironman Triathlon (relay -- seriously that race better have one heck of a current ...)

Early-mid Dec.: NE SCM Champs in Boston or CZ Champs if it's at Rutgers this year. Does anyone know yet?

March: Albatross SCM Meet (not sure when this is yet)

March or April: If I taper for SCY and depending on the actual dates, either NE SCY Champs or Colonies Zones. Not sure I can do both the Albatross meet and the NE meet though ... depends on dates. No back to back meets for me.

July: Some LCM meet hopefully. May have to do a kid meet if there are no local meets.

Aug: LCM Nats at Auburn.

My taper focus will likely be Dec. 2009 for SCM and August 2010 for LCM, though I'll probably rest some for whatever meet I do in March-April.

Any other good meet ideas?

Submit "Masters PR Ends" to Digg Submit "Masters PR Ends" to del.icio.us Submit "Masters PR Ends" to StumbleUpon Submit "Masters PR Ends" to Google

Updated June 7th, 2010 at 03:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Running , Spinning

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I love how your first run since January is a 5 mile loop. You're nuts (but in a good way...)

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Fort!
    I don't see Rowdy Gaines posted in Oct. Of course, it is in the Dixie Zone, so you wouldn't want to do it anyway. If it does post, you might want to consider it for this year just as a intro to the meet and consider it next year for a fast SCM meet in your time zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty
    I love how your first run since January is a 5 mile loop. You're nuts (but in a good way...)

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Fort!
    Thanks Feisty. It was definitely some nasty ass virus. Still not completely over it. I hope I can stay healthy for a really long time now!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I don't see Rowdy Gaines posted in Oct. Of course, it is in the Dixie Zone, so you wouldn't want to do it anyway. If it does post, you might want to consider it for this year just as a intro to the meet and consider it next year for a fast SCM meet in your time zone.
    Hmm ... not a bad idea actually. I wonder when it is. It would be hard to pass up the Sprint Classic though. That's such a fun meet, and the only chance to swim 25s. Not sure I could pull off traveling in both Oct. and Dec. either ... unless Mr. Fort has a desire to go to Florida.

Are you thinking of the Rowdy Gaines meet?
    Updated June 7th, 2010 at 04:05 PM by The Fortress
    My 81 year old friend Albert (three 1st places in the breaststrokes) is still fighting off whatever he came down with at Atlanta.

When I saw him today, he said he's never had anything like this. There must have been some kind of airborne virus going around.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    My 81 year old friend Albert (three 1st places in the breaststrokes) is still fighting off whatever he came down with at Atlanta.

When I saw him today, he said he's never had anything like this. There must have been some kind of airborne virus going around.
    I really think so. JimRude took almost 3 weeks to get better as well. This bug is just not a conventional virus by any stretch; the worst symptoms were headaches and fatigue and "malaise." Still have the headaches, and I never get headaches. If I'm couch bound, you know it's bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Are you thinking of the Rowdy Gaines meet?
    Yes.
    I really think so. JimRude took almost 3 weeks to get better as well. This bug is just not a conventional virus by any stretch; the worst symptoms were headaches and fatigue and "malaise." Still have the headaches, and I never get headaches. If I'm couch bound, you know it's bad.
    I am still not better - I have been doing the P90X routine, but have only swam twice since Atlanta.

You should come out to Mesa for SCY Nationals in late April! Just swim BR, FL, FR and 100 IM and save the BK for indoors!
    Aug. 21-22: LCM Zones at UMD
    Is this posted anywhere? That's an intriguing long shot LCM meet possibility for me.

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I don't see Rowdy Gaines posted in Oct.
    I'd really recommend considering this. While the pool is older and the "deck side" needs some refurbishing, the 25SCM course is great -- real walls on both ends and deep water (from just plain deep at start end to diving well deep at turn end). On top of that, there are a number of hotels that are minutes walk away.

Unfortunately, I won't likely make it out there this year unless I get another nice overlap between a kids' school break and my work schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by JimRude
    You should come out to Mesa for SCY Nationals in late April! Just swim BR, FL, FR and 100 IM and save the BK for indoors!
    Either that, or since I'm going to trade mid-distance for sprint events, you could come out and do an aerobic quality schedule of the 1650, 500, 400 IM, 200 fly and maybe some such other fun events!
    I am still not better - I have been doing the P90X routine, but have only swam twice since Atlanta.

How can you do P90X while you're under the weather?! I think swimming (not anaerobic stuff, of course) would be easier.

I'm nowhere near 100% either, not even close. Terrible stuff.

I typically only go to one Nationals per year b/c of the stress it puts on the fam. I'd just prefer to do LCM Nats: closer to home, indoors, I'm not 49+++, etc. Plus, I had good mojo at that pool last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Is this posted anywhere? That's an intriguing long shot LCM meet possibility for me.

I'd really recommend considering this. While the pool is older and the "deck side" needs some refurbishing, the 25SCM course is great -- real walls on both ends and deep water (from just plain deep at start end to diving well deep at turn end). On top of that, there are a number of hotels that are minutes walk away.
    The LC meet is on the PV website, more details to follow: www.pvmasters.org

I love diving well deep pools. That makes the Florida meet quite tempting.
    I'm so glad you're on the mend! It has been a long haul for you, I know. Hope you're back to 100 percent soon!

I'm impressed with your run. Five miles is about as far as I can go even when I'm in great shape and running semi-regularly.

And thanks for posting the dates for the UMD meet. That's a definite possibility for me.
    I hope you're not running in gym shoes. If you plan to get back even semi-regularly to running, you should have at least one pair of running-only shoes. I have a strange system of 3 pairs for running, then they get downgraded to gym use, with some occasional short treadmill runs, and finally downgraded to yard work and/or house projects before I give up on them.

5 miles is a bit much to just do out of the blue...hope you're not too sore tomorrow. I try to start at 2-3 after extended time off, more than 3 weeks.

You should come out to AZ for nationals next year so I can finally meet you.
    How can you do P90X while you're under the weather?! I think swimming (not anaerobic stuff, of course) would be easier.

I'm nowhere near 100% either, not even close. Terrible stuff.

I typically only go to one Nationals per year b/c of the stress it puts on the fam. I'd just prefer to do LCM Nats: closer to home, indoors, I'm not 49+++, etc. Plus, I had good mojo at that pool last year.
    Aside from the general apathy I have toward swimming right now, I have a hard time breathing the crappy air in the indoor pool. Combine that with the 85+ pool temp, and it's just not appealing. At least with the P90X I'm able to cough at liberty...
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I'm so glad you're on the mend! It has been a long haul for you, I know. Hope you're back to 100 percent soon!

I'm impressed with your run. Five miles is about as far as I can go even when I'm in great shape and running semi-regularly.

And thanks for posting the dates for the UMD meet. That's a definite possibility for me.
    Thanks!

UMD is a great pool and Muppet runs a good meet.

I did walk some, so it didn't seem too bad.
    Aside from the general apathy I have toward swimming right now, I have a hard time breathing the crappy air in the indoor pool. Combine that with the 85+ pool temp, and it's just not appealing. At least with the P90X I'm able to cough at liberty...
    Meet disappointment plus illness is a potent combo for swim apathy. I'm not excited about the pool either ...

Which P90X DVD is your fav so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I hope you're not running in gym shoes. If you plan to get back even semi-regularly to running, you should have at least one pair of running-only shoes. I have a strange system of 3 pairs for running, then they get downgraded to gym use, with some occasional short treadmill runs, and finally downgraded to yard work and/or house projects before I give up on them.

5 miles is a bit much to just do out of the blue...hope you're not too sore tomorrow. I try to start at 2-3 after extended time off, more than 3 weeks.

You should come out to AZ for nationals next
    year so I can finally meet you.
    Yeah, I was bad and wearing gym shoes. Will go to the running store this week!

Could gave been too much, but I did walk some. I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow. It was just such a perfect day to run.
    I know you know to be careful about your mileage. If this is the only run you do this week, I'm sure you will be fine. If you want to take on a few more of 5 miles this week, I'd think twice. The muscles in your legs are in stellar shape, but remember your bones are not used to that much impact exercise, even if you walk. A stress fracture would not be fun at this point. If you have any history of such things like I do, I'd stick to two or three miles right now, even if you walk.

I know that two or three miles of running doesn't seem like much of a workout, but better to be taking it easy than to be walking around on crutches for a few weeks.
    Updated June 7th, 2010 at 11:35 PM by elise526
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    I know you know to be careful about your mileage. If this is the only run you do this week, I'm sure you will be fine. If you want to take on a few more of 5 miles this week, I'd think twice. The muscles in your legs are in stellar shape, but remember your bones are not used to that much impact exercise, even if you walk. A stress fracture would not be fun at this point. If you have any history of such things like I do, I'd stick to two or three miles right now, even if you walk.

I know that two or three miles of running doesn't seem like much of a workout, but better to be taking it easy than to be walking around on crutches for a few weeks.

Exactly right. I may only do one more run this week, and only after I get appropriate shoes. I have had stress fractures, and I felt a little shin splity afterward, which I attribute mostly to the shoes. I did walk some though, so wasn't running the whole way. Wouldn't run mulitiple (3+ x) the first week.
    Glad you're up and going again. I want you in tip-top shape for the 50 BR at Zones...
    I hope you don't jam up your leg/hip like I did with my ill advised 5miler in "dead" sneakers...thankfully it seems my ART guy has freed things up a bit and I'm on the mend.
    That said I have 60 miles to bike this weekend, so I hope I don't go back. I'm going to ask him for some pre-race stretches and stuff to do on the water breaks to keep out of trouble.
    I monofinned last night...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast