View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Monday 06/07/2010: AM Swim & PM Gym

Rate this Entry
ended up bailing on my weekly long run yesterday. my cold got the better of me, combined with just total exhaustion from swimming in the meet and being out in the sun for a few hours. I woke up around 5:15am, realized I hadn't put the bottles for my hydration belt in the freezer. figured I'd try to sleep a few more hours, and next thing it was 8am. most of Sunday was spent just being slothful...my only time leaving the house was to pick up El Pollo Loco for dinner.

made it out to swim this morning with the team, Mesa Kino Aquatic Center, in the diving well (SCY)
Laura on deck coaching

got in around 400 warm-up
400 pull
4 x 100 IM @ 2:00
300 pull
6 x 50 kick @ 1:00
200 pull
10 x 50 @ :45
100 pull
4 x 75 @ 1:15, first all easy, then add in a fast 25, last all 75 fast
50 easy
4 x 25 @ :45 (did them breast)
200 cool-down

total: 3250 yards

notes--
* during our initial break, Laura did a great job of giving kudos to everyone who swam (bringing up something unique to each) as well as all of the volunteers.
* Laura also told me she'd try to confuse me. She said she was reading my blog, and that I'm too organized; of course then a gal in the lane with me asked if I was a triathlete.
* I ended up in the fast lane today. I survived just fine, and we had a rather large group, 4 in that lane.
* oh Laura also mentioned that she read in my last blog entry how I said I need more breast, so she and Paul will comply. I did the 25s breast on my own today though.

then I made it to the gym on the way home...

Elliptical: 18:00, 236 cal, 2.01 miles, crossramp 8, resistance at 8 for a 2 min warmup, at 9 for 8 min, at 10 for 5 min, at 11 for 2 min, then at 8 for a min cooldown
Plus about 2 min on another machine

Incline bench: 1 x 15 x 45, 2 x 12 x 135, 2 x 6 x 155
Dumbbell chest flys: 1 x 15 x 45s, 2 x 12 x 60s, 2 x 7 x 65s
Triceps skull crushers: 3 x 10 x 70 + 5
Hammer strength high row: 1 x 15 x 90, 2 x 12 x 180, 2 x 10 x 200
Hammer strength shoulder press: 1 x 15 x 90, 1 x 12 x 110, 2 x 6 x 140
Preacher curls: 1 x 15 x 65, 2 x 12 x 80, 2 x 9 x 85
Leg raise: 3 x 15
Flexfitness dip machine: 1 x 15 x 180, 3 x 10 x 240
Situps on decline bench: 60 normal, 30 Rocky, 20 normal
Plank: 4 min done as a min normal, a min left, a min right, a min normal

notes--
* gym wasn't too crowded, but it seemed people were constantly in my way.
* a guy was on my usual elliptical, but since he looked to be actively using it I didn't mind. I took another, was on it about 2 minutes but it wasn't very stable, was wavering so much that I moved. all ellipticals are NOT created equal; on my usual level 8 gives me a good workout, but on that 2nd, 8 was barely enough for a warm-up, then I jumped to 9, 10, and even 11.
* when I was doing the incline bench, after my first set of 135s, a guy came and asked if he could work in. it just seemed to make me move faster, which for that I need more recovery time between sets. those sets of 155 were a struggle. and that guy then took off the 10s and put on 25s....then 25s+10s.
* for some reason I just decided to do some situps. I rarely do them at the gym...that decline bench usually is tough to find open. I felt strong tonight, but hopefully my stomach won't be too sore tomorrow.

I'm planning to run tomorrow morning. since I skipped yesterday, I'm planning for a little more than usual. normally on Tuesdays I've been getting in 7 to 8 miles, but I'm hoping to do 10 to 12. I've realized I can't really make up a missed workout, but I seem to always try. I may then swim at noon....I really want some LCM time, and usually evenings are SCY.
Had lunch with a guy I used to swim with at ASU. He did an Olympic triathlon up in Show Low over the weekend. Told him about the swim meet, and he told me that racing will make me faster. He was a bit interested in doing the 1500m at the Phoenix Swim Club meet...this guy says he's done with swim meets, but he'd be pretty fast if he did one.

my cold finally seems to be breaking. today wasn't as bad. could also be the Prednisone at work. It hasn't yet given me that Superman feeling, maybe tomorrow...or maybe it won't this time. I hope to be mostly better for my trip back East on Friday.

Submit "Monday 06/07/2010:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to Digg Submit "Monday 06/07/2010:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday 06/07/2010:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday 06/07/2010:  AM Swim & PM Gym" to Google

Comments

Glad the cold is finally clearing up. It seems like half the bloggers are, or were, near death for the last 2 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Glad the cold is finally clearing up. It seems like half the bloggers are, or were, near death for the last 2 weeks.
    Well I certainly wasn't near death, I've been far worse. But it certainly is a PITA.

I'm blaming Paul Smith for this. He's the only one I know who was at nationals then had contact with me soon after. At minimum, he carried Leslie's germs to me, even if he didn't get sick himself.