View RSS Feed

bzaks1424

Breaking through a wall

Rate this Entry
So this morning I weighed in at 217 pounds. I'm not exactly the most emotional person in the world, but I nearly jumped through the ceiling! I've never been that light since before high school, let alone breaching that 220 barrier... it was a glorious light at the end of the tunnel.

So I'm actually here to blog about Sunday's workout. I think coach Laurel was actually thinking we were all a bunch of marathon swimmers. I got to the pool kind of late (I'm trying to get more rest as suggested by all of you... and my family.... and my friends.... and the dog...), and I didn't even really look at the board, I just got in and started my warm up (800 choice). After finishing that I then get up and look at the board:
2 x {10x25 on 30}. Okay - easy enough -
22x50 (1x50k, 3x50p, 2x50k, 3x50p, 3x50k, 3x50p, 4x50k, 3x50p). Not my favorite but I can survive that.
Then comes what I see as a doozy:
3 x {300 on 5:45, 2x100 descending on 1:55, 1:50, 1:45 }
8x50 on 1:00

Alright - so I'm definitely not a long distance swimmer by any means. I can do it, just not very fast (then again, my times are not very fast in general). However - for me to make 1:45 on a 100 in a SCM pool.... I should probably be pretty fresh, not right off of a 300.

Well -by the time I got there, I was so tapped out from the 50s and 25s, I actually had to tap into my recovery drink (apple juice + casein protein). Thank goodness I thought to do that! After about 5 minutes, my body hit a second wind and I actually finished the set! This was a moment of extreme pride for me. I've never been able to finish anything barely over 3000 yards. However - when I hit the 4300 meter mark and hadn't cramped, I was ecstatic! I really can do it! People around me had quit early, too tired to finish (it was a LONG set for our team), but I had finished! It was the most glorious feeling in the world!

That was until I tried to get out of the pool. Then my body basically said "eff it, I quit. You're on your own" and the chore of dragging myself out of the pool was about a 2-3 minute ordeal. Thankfully everyone had already gone in to the locker room by that point. I felt like a beached whale. On the one hand it was gloriously epic and it was really cool to feel totally exhausted. On the other hand, I drive a stick shift, and its insanely hard to shift when you cramp up every time you hit the clutch.

Tuesday came though - and 2700 (500s, 200k, 200bk, 100ch, 3x300s on 5:45, 8x100 on 1:55) meters seemed so short, I actually asked where the other half of the set was!

Some day I'll be a good swimmer... Some day!

Submit "Breaking through a wall" to Digg Submit "Breaking through a wall" to del.icio.us Submit "Breaking through a wall" to StumbleUpon Submit "Breaking through a wall" to Google

Comments

Congrats on making it through! And I love all the Cake-related tags on this post... Best workout song ever!