View RSS Feed

Elise's Fitness Fun

Dodging cars

Rate this Entry
by , June 24th, 2010 at 03:32 PM (1074 Views)
Headed out on my 16.2 mile route this morning. Had a little bit of a breeze going out and a tiny one with me coming back. My legs were a little tired from the run yesterday, so did not feel as easy as the ride I took Tuesday. Still, I was pleased that I averaged right at 18 mph (54:01 for the ride).

The last mile is fairly flat, so I decided to turn it on and did it in about 2:33 which is 24 mph. I think the driver of a car underestimated how fast I was going (that or she plain did not see me) when she came up a side street and cut right in front of me. I was right up next to her in no time. It's times like these that I wouldn't mind having a gun on me so that I could shoot out the back tire of idiots that do such things. Of course that would escalate things as many folks around here probably carry a gun anyway. Funny thing was, it was on a very quiet road with no traffic. I'm talking one car every 30 minutes at most.

On the busier roads, drivers seem to be more mindful and give me plenty of room when they pass. Well, one thing for sure, you always have to be on the look-out for absent-minded drivers, dogs, etc.

I always dress in very bright clothing and wear tank tops so that it is clear that I am female. Say what you want to about rednecks, but they have honor. No good redneck is going to run a woman off the road. Yesterday's truck was an exception in passing so close to me. Maybe it was a woman. I can't speak about redneck women. Today, a group of fellows passed me in a truck and waved at me. I smiled and waved back.

Knock on wood, I hope my theory continues to be right. I have no desire to bike in the grass.

Submit "Dodging cars" to Digg Submit "Dodging cars" to del.icio.us Submit "Dodging cars" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dodging cars" to Google

Updated June 24th, 2010 at 03:38 PM by elise526

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Biking scares me. We've had too many deaths (1 is too many, but there've been multiple since I've lived here) of cyclists and they were generally cyclists who were experienced, lit up / as noticeable as possible. It's dangerous out there, moreso with texting drivers, cell-talkers, etc. Be safe.
    RE: dreadmill discussion from yesterday: my wife has her treadmill setup in the bedroom under the ceiling fan and with a TV with extra loud speakers right in front of her. She trains year-round for half marathons (doing one in Montana early July) and definitely prefers to run outside. However, with temps hot here now, she jumps on the treadmill, turns on the tube (Wimbledon on ESPN2 right now) and can go through a 2 hour long run in relative comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Biking scares me. We've had too many deaths (1 is too many, but there've been multiple since I've lived here) of cyclists and they were generally cyclists who were experienced, lit up / as noticeable as possible. It's dangerous out there, moreso with texting drivers, cell-talkers, etc. Be safe.
    I go back and forth as to whether I should bike or not for that reason. I really haven't been into that much for about five years, but I've only been out two times this week and already I've seen some really inattentive drivers. It is making me think twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    RE: dreadmill discussion from yesterday: my wife has her treadmill setup in the bedroom under the ceiling fan and with a TV with extra loud speakers right in front of her. She trains year-round for half marathons (doing one in Montana early July) and definitely prefers to run outside. However, with temps hot here now, she jumps on the treadmill, turns on the tube (Wimbledon on ESPN2 right now) and can go through a 2 hour long run in relative comfort.
    Wow! That takes some serious discipline. Not sure I could make it beyond an hour. Guess with the t.v. though, it makes it much easier.