View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

Meet Tomorrow aka goaded by text message into blogging

Rate this Entry
I have not been posting much because I don't feel like I have anything coherent or meaningful to say about swimming lately. Usually I feel the need to post, and it just happens to be incoherent.

The meet tomorrow is at SMU, easily my least favorite pool. The pool is shallow and warm, and there will be precious little shade. But it is a local masters meet and I feel obligated to attend.

Last year I wisely signed up for all the 50s. This year, I thought I would try swimming events I care about and events I want to care about which will probably result in vomiting and heat stroke. Fun!

The line up for the meet:
4 Male 50 M Back 0:35.85 06/26/2010
8 Male 200 M Free 2:18.00 06/26/2010
12 Male 100 M Back 1:17.00 06/26/2010
16 Male 100 M Free 1:02.00 06/26/2010
24 Male 50 M Free 0:27.49 06/26/2010
30 Male 1500 M Free 21:57.22 06/27/2010

The meet runs fast, so even though the events are well spaced, it is likely that I will only have 10 or 15 minutes between some of my events.

I am not very excited about the 1500.

Submit "Meet Tomorrow aka goaded by text message into blogging" to Digg Submit "Meet Tomorrow aka goaded by text message into blogging" to del.icio.us Submit "Meet Tomorrow aka goaded by text message into blogging" to StumbleUpon Submit "Meet Tomorrow aka goaded by text message into blogging" to Google

Updated June 25th, 2010 at 07:19 PM by qbrain

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I have not been posting much because I don't feel like I have anything coherent or meaningful to say about swimming lately. Usually I feel the need to post, and it just happens to be incoherent.
    I disagree. Having read the theory of relativity thread, you have quite a bit to say.

High five to you for signing up for a 1500. That must be something to feel really good about when it's all over.

Have a good meet.
    Updated June 25th, 2010 at 09:29 PM by quicksilver (Doh)
    Thanks Quick, I have been trying to confine the mathematics of training to just one thread, so it is easy for most people to avoid.

The 1500 is long course. Short course is too much counting.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Thanks Quick, I have been trying to confine the mathematics of training to just one thread, so it is easy for most people to avoid.
    Thanks for doing so!

That's an insane schedule, by the way. Good luck with that.

Of course, after reading chaos' thread on vomiting during the MIMS, you really have no excuse to vomit after a pool swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Of course, after reading chaos' thread on vomiting during the MIMS, you really have no excuse to vomit after a pool swim.
    It will be from heat stroke, not over exertion. Although chaos seemed to vomit as a strange bird like feeding ritual more than anything else.
    Are you actually planning to swim all of those, or will you pull a Fort and scratch half of those?

It says the 1500 is on 6/27, is that right? I can't imagine swimming anything else the same day as that; the 800 was bad enough for me.

Is LW swimming also? Any of the same events? Do they have enough people to separate men and women?
    I always enjoy your blogs Q! I think you have tons of great swimming insight and you're pretty funny too!
    I quit posting lately too. My workouts all seem the same and I'm a boring person so unless I make things up I have a boring blog.

Good luck tomorrow; especially in the 1,500!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I always enjoy your blogs Q! I think you have tons of great swimming insight and you're pretty funny too!
    I quit posting lately too. My workouts all seem the same and I'm a boring person so unless I make things up I have a boring blog.

Bob, I always read your blog....I miss the fun colors

Q, Good luck at your meet! Look out for the heat, and drink lots of water! And yeah you totally lost me on your training thread, but that's okay. It's not too difficult to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Are you actually planning to swim all of those, or will you pull a Fort and scratch half of those?

It says the 1500 is on 6/27, is that right? I can't imagine swimming anything else the same day as that; the 800 was bad enough for me.

Is LW swimming also? Any of the same events? Do they have enough people to separate men and women?
    I will swim all those. That is what I am planning to swim at Zones, and I actually don't have times for 3 of those events

The 1500 is on Sunday, everything else is on Saturday. Last year the 1500 was on Friday in the evening, and it was HOT in the pool, so this will be much better.

LW is not swimming, too lazy. I think she gets to do 4 25s the first week of July. She just started kicking again this week, some complaint about kicking with your arms at your side not being fun. When is kicking fun?

The events will be mixed sex. They might make the 50s single sex just to slow down the meet.
    Updated June 25th, 2010 at 09:09 PM by qbrain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator

Thanks Robin and the 1500 isn't until Sunday

I don't think you are a boring person, but I understand the desire to blog something meaningful. A lot of people use their blog as a workout log, but I have paper for that. If I can't imagine someone benefiting from reading my blog, I don't post. Unless I feel the need to brag, blogs are definitely for bragging as well.

You might know I skip the details of almost every workout people blog about because Fort makes fun of me for it, but I think commentary is more important. You blog about family and the kids at school because they (usually) make you happy and you share that with us. But you also share how you manage your time deal with injury and recently illness. These topics are what I think are the most beneficial. There is nothing magical about someones workout, but how they make time for workout, how they deal with unexpected issues and how they think about their training seem very important to me.

By the way, an update on the ear and throat thing is probably due. Ear infections and swimmers seems like an important topic you have current information on. I think when I finished the last chapter you were on death's door, holding your ear with one hand and your throat with the other pulling yourself slowly to the infirmary on your elbows. Is it just reruns for the summer or did I miss a critical blog within a blog comment?
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Q, Good luck at your meet! Look out for the heat, and drink lots of water! And yeah you totally lost me on your training thread, but that's okay. It's not too difficult to do that.
    Thanks Katie. I lost myself in the training thread. If I trained as hard as I thought about training, I would be much faster.

I will be well prepared for the heat and quite laden with fluids on the way in.
    The meet tomorrow is at SMU

I read too fast. Even though this is what you wrote...I registered it as SCM.
    Did you know that the 1500 is the Super Bowl of swimming events in Australia? It literally is the Super Bowl.

Afterward I expect you to go home, crank the AC, and enjoy a quart sized can of Fosters.
    Oiy. It's too hot for the Noir.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    I read too fast. Even though this is what you wrote...I registered it as SCM.
    Did you know that the 1500 is the Super Bowl of swimming events in Australia? It literally is the Super Bowl.

Afterward I expect you to go home, crank the AC, and enjoy a quart sized can of Fosters.
    Oiy. It's too hot for the Noir.
    I was wondering where you got that (SCM).

I think I will pass on Fosters. It is not supposed to break 100 this weekend, but I still think after two days outside at 98, I will want Gatorade and water more than anything alcoholic. That and it is known as the Budweiser of Australia.
    That and it is known as the Budweiser of Australia

A gallon of lemon lime Gatorade should really hit the spot after a mile in the warm blue bath tub.
    Updated June 26th, 2010 at 09:55 AM by quicksilver