View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

DAM LCM Meet Day 1

Rate this Entry
The meet started at 8:30 and I was done with all 5 events by 10:30. Don't worry, people I just met made fun of me for my choice to swim the max events in a meet that might last 3 hours.

This pool, kinda like SMU in general, is pretty crappy. The 50s are hand timed because there is only one set of blocks and one set of pads. So my 50 times could be quite off.

My times:
50 back 36.76
200 free 1:07.12/2:21.99
100 back 1:23.06
100 free 1:02.90
50 free 27.07

I am happy with the free times and a little disappointed in the back times. Analysis by event:

- My 50 back was faster last year at this same meet by about a second, so I don't know what happened there.
- The 100 back time is pretty atrocious. 2x50+ 10 seconds? It did feel like my legs were low during both races so I might have just had bad body position. I need to figure it out or not swim it at Zones.
- The 200 free was only about 10 minutes after the 50 back. I think 1:07 low is fine and I should be able to come back in a 1:10 high at Zones. I went out ahead of the #1 seed and it was a good race until the final turn. He picked it up a notch and I died. Very painful race at the end, but I blame most of that on the 50 back 10 minutes before.
- The 100 free was fine at that point in the meet. I beat two people that I did not expect to beat in the race and I expect to be a bit faster at Zones just because it will not be my 4th race in 90 minutes.
- The 50 free was last and actually had the most time between it and the 100 free. I don't think this was critical but I do think it helped that I had felt like I had actually caught my breath before I had to swim again. 27.07 beat last years 50 free time by almost half a second. Last year I wore legskins and this year I wore endurance briefs. Of course, there were no touch pads, so when I get to Zones and go 2 seconds slower in a faster pool, I will know what really happened. This time converts to a little more than a quarter second off my lifetime best scy. I am pretty sure this means that I am a better lcm swimmer than scy

I beat Mark Glass, who is a local guy a little older than me that has been kicking my *** in the sprints pretty much since his wife taught him how to swim. Beat him in both the 50 and the 100. Nice guy, to day was the first day I actually talked to him.

This is the first masters meet where I had several really good races, the 50 and 100 with Mark next to me and the 200 with a younger guy I don't know.

Overall, I am very happy with the meet. The two ways I know how to get to the pool will be blocked tomorrow, one for Church and the other for construction, so I have no idea how I am going to get to the 1500. I do want to see what kind of time I can go, but then again, it is a really boring race.

Submit "DAM LCM Meet Day 1" to Digg Submit "DAM LCM Meet Day 1" to del.icio.us Submit "DAM LCM Meet Day 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "DAM LCM Meet Day 1" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Interesting free times. That 50 is only .5 slower than me but that 100 is 3 seconds slower and that 200 is 4 seconds faster.

:-)
    nice job, Q. Good luck in the 1500. Remember, swim fast so you at least get better than 10th place TT.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Interesting free times. That 50 is only .5 slower than me but that 100 is 3 seconds slower and that 200 is 4 seconds faster.

:-)
    I will see what I can do about that 50 and 100 gap at Zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    nice job, Q. Good luck in the 1500. Remember, swim fast so you at least get better than 10th place TT.
    Hey! 10th place is still top 10.

I will probably have to swim faster just to stay 10th. The pool was cool when I first jumped in this morning around 8am, so it should be decent for the race tomorrow. I should be in the 7:45am heat.
    Good times. That's a lot of swimming in a short period of time.
    Great job, sounds even worse than the meet I did a couple weeks ago with limited time between events.

You have to do the 1500 tomorrow, so I have a time to beat
    Thanks Bill.

Tim, can't you just beat my time from last year? I am feeling kinda tired right now.
    Nice Job.

Ditto on what Paul said. Very nice 50 and 200.
    You may have forgot what pace to use for the 100?

Then again it was a rather short meet.That's a lot of effort for that time span.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    You may have forgot what pace to use for the 100?
    There was 1 heat of the 200 fly, actually only one person, then 5 heats of 100 free before my heat. I might have been too conservative because I had excuses why I shouldn't have been fast and there was probably some element of fear of a sudden and painful death.

The 50 free on the other hand was the last event and only a 50, so putting it all on the line was riskless.

That is a very good point Quick, thanks. I thought I was just tired at that point, but the 50 really says otherwise.
    You have a very wide range of versatility. Between doing 50's and the longer races, it's got to be challenging to find the right gear for each one. Using the 100 gear for the 200 and vice versa could easily throw off the ideal pace. Not many people like to switch things up as you do.

That 50 time should place the 100 result closer to a minute. Maybe next time. Great job still.