View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Middlebury meet days 1 and 2

Rate this Entry
I came up to Middlebury on Thursday and swam the first two days of the NE LCM champs on Friday and Saturday. The theme for this meet so far seems to be negative splittingóI managed to do that on 4 of the first 5 events I swam. That was probably a good strategy for the 800 FR, but itís a bizarre result for the 400 IM. Hereís the rundown on my events so far (The 800 was on Friday, everything else was on Saturday):

800 FR: 11:30.16 (5:46.89, 5:43.27)
My splits by 100 were 1:22.8, 1:28.3, 1:28.6, 1:28.1, 1:26.5, 1:26.6, 1:26.6, 1:22.6. My stroke cadence felt really good all the way through this race, and my turns felt strong and coherent. My hope was to go around 12 minutes (I put in a seed time significantly above that), so I was thrilled with my time. I have no idea how I can put a 1:22 on the end of a 800 at a meet when I struggle to do a single 100 at that pace in workout with lots of rest beforehand, but Iím glad it seems to work that way.

200 FL: 3:11.19 (1:36.09, 1:35.10)
On the first 50 of this swim I really felt out of breath. I worried that I was going out too fast, and kept trying to go slower, but then I realized I was not exhaling enough. Once I fixed thatóabout at my first turnóeverything felt good. This was actually a pretty comfortable race.

100 BK: 1:19.79 (39.28, 40.51)
This was probably my best race so far. My backstroke is feeling good.

400 IM: 6:22.99 (1:35.67, 1:37.97, 1:49.47, 1:19.92)
Yep, I had a lot left on that freestyle.

200 BR: 3:29.55 (1:45.78, 1:43.77)
My 50 splits were 50.0, 55.8, 53.3, 50.5. I backed off the 2nd 50 too muchóIíve only swum this event once before and was afraid of taking it out too fast. (It was the same story on 200 FL). My stroke actually felt smoother as I increased my cadence on the 3rd and 4th 50s.

Tomorrow Iím swimming 200 BK, 100 FL, 200 FR, and 100 BR.

This has been such a fun meet so far. The pool is gorgeous and full of light, and itís one of the friendliest meets Iíve ever been to. Iíve stayed really happy and blissful all day at the pool, and am excited to get to swim every time I get up behind the blocks. And itís really a relief to race in a proper length poolóhurray for long course!

Leading into the meet I did a clinic with Bill Boomer, which was really amazing. Kudos to the Middlebury folks for arranging his clinic! Iíll post more about it in coming days. I also did a personal session with him today, and instead of working on swimming we mostly worked on sinking! It turns out I have breathing issues in the water (I kind of knew that already), and need to work on getting myself to believe that itís ok to breathe out when I'm in the water, instead of hoarding all my air because Iím scared I wonít get to breathe in any more of it. Breathing out enough to allow myself to sink to the bottom of the pool is a challenge.

Submit "Middlebury meet days 1 and 2" to Digg Submit "Middlebury meet days 1 and 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Middlebury meet days 1 and 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Middlebury meet days 1 and 2" to Google

Comments

It turns out I have breathing issues in the water
    That's interesting. You are not exactly an inexperienced swimmer. It is kinda like your tragic flaw to go along with your super hero powers.

Good luck tomorrow. You have a rather painful looking event lineup. And very nice job beating me in the 100 back today.
    Didn't you just have surgery a month ago? Those times are quite impressive even without that, extremely impressive considering you've just been back a few weeks.

Heck, you even beat my 800 by a second.
    good showing. You split the 800 just about right. Your first and last 100 were the same split. Good job on finishing the 200 fly. Way to "man up".
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    That's interesting. You are not exactly an inexperienced swimmer. It is kinda like your tragic flaw to go along with your super hero powers.
    Thanks--I like that interpretation! I just might have to dig out my Powerpuff avatar.
    Although it turns out that swimmers far more experienced than me also have issues with their breathing, according to Boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    And very nice job beating me in the 100 back today.
    Can I declare a gridge post-event on that one? I'm not sure when that will ever happen again, so I want to take full advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Didn't you just have surgery a month ago? Those times are quite impressive even without that, extremely impressive considering you've just been back a few weeks.

Heck, you even beat my 800 by a second.
    Yeah, this meet was just 3 weeks post-surgery. I think a great part of my blissiness the whole weekend was gratitude and wonder that I was there swimming at all.

I actually looked up your 800 time after I swam my event, because I thought I remembered it being in the same ballpark. I had to laugh when I saw how close our times were! Plus I also had put in a 12:40 seed time for my event, based on 1:35/100 expectations.

You can dust me on breaststroke though--I went 1:34 for my 100 on Sunday, and I think you swam under 1:30?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    good showing. You split the 800 just about right. Your first and last 100 were the same split. Good job on finishing the 200 fly. Way to "man up".
    Thanks Tom! It's nice to hear that from someone with your experience in both events.

I'm glad I swam those beasties once, but now I'm going to go back to the friendlier shorter distances for the rest of the summer!