View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

DAM LCM Meet Day 2: The 1500

Rate this Entry
If you don't care about my 1500, skip to the WTF moment at the end. Real life comedy.

The meet
: It was a challenge to force myself out of bed this morning. 7am warm up is not all that early for me, but a couple more hours of sleep would have been nice.

Did 200 to loosen up, then a few 100s on 2:00 to figure out where I wanted my pace today. 1:26 was comfortable so that is what I wanted to go out in. By the end of warm up I was feeling decent. The first 50 was uncomfortable

This year I didn't have Bobby on my right, I had Eney Jones. I reminded myself that her pace was about 14 seconds faster than mine according to the entry times.

The race went about how you would expect, swim swim swim swim swim ... swim swim flip turn, repeat. There was a STRONG couple of jets that pushed me quite hard into the lane line, and the first couple laps I fought to stay in the middle of the lane. After about 200 of this nonsense I realized I should just swim as far from the jets as I can. I was in lane 2 and a little old lady was getting blown around in lane 1.

About the last 500 I picked up the pace and at the 100 started kicking The timer said my splits were very consistent. Based on his expert opinion and my time, I imagine I went out a little slow with 27s before settling into 26s early to mid race and holding that until the last 500 when it probably dropped to 24s. The last 100 was probably sub 1:20. I don't have the official time or the splits and probably won't for a few weeks, but the time from the timer was 21:16, and that is good enough for me.

Sunday morning is much better than Friday evening for a 1500. I felt SO much better this time around swimming in the cool morning pool instead of one that has baked in the sun all afternoon. I think the turn out was about the same as last year.

I could probably have broken 21 today if I had spent more time on pacing. It is very likely that I could have held 1:24s the entire race without dying, but I am not willing to devote the practice time to the 1500.

Eney and Bobby (Patten) were both entered with 18 lows and I don't think either went close, but probably 19 low to 19 mid. They only lapped me once, so I was very happy about that.

Post meet nutrition: Yesterday I had 2 endurolytes, 2 liters of Smart Water, 1 16oz gatorade, a pure sport packet and lots of salty frozen pizza, plus lots of water. This worked great. I didn't get that horrible headache that I usually get after swim meets, just achy and tired body. Thanks Geek, the endurolytes helped, but what helped more was knowing that my main problem was not getting enough electrolytes after meets. In general, I eat a very low salt diet and drink LOTS of water, so a swim meet has probably always squeezed all the electrolytes out of me. And thanks to Fort and Ande for the original Smart Water idea as it has been a much more effective method of rehydrating at meets.

WTF moment: The meet was on SMU campus, and I was parked next to one of the stadiums and there was a cheer leading camp further down in the empty parking lot practicing. So I see there is something on my trunk, and as I get closer, I see that it is hair. Now I don't know anything about fake hair, but it didn't look like a wig, so I guess extensions? A weave? I don't even know what those would look like. And why on my trunk? My car isn't clean, and it is a dark blue so it shows dirt great. The sidewalk looked cleaner than my trunk. I looked over at the cheer coach and she starts to apologize, so I pick up the hair and walk over to her and hand it over. I am sure the look on my face was quite entertaining. "I'm sorry, is this your hair?" WTF was that girl thinking just leaving her hair laying around on a random person's dirty car. The cheer coach looked like she was having trouble not laughing, but did say she would return the hair to the right girl.

Medicine Woman laughed so hard on the drive home she was crying. I was pretty much in shock, and still kinda am.

Submit "DAM LCM Meet Day 2: The 1500" to Digg Submit "DAM LCM Meet Day 2: The 1500" to del.icio.us Submit "DAM LCM Meet Day 2: The 1500" to StumbleUpon Submit "DAM LCM Meet Day 2: The 1500" to Google

Updated June 27th, 2010 at 02:31 PM by qbrain

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sounds like a great 1500, what's that like 45 sec faster than last year? You haven't posted much about training, have you been doing long swims to train for it? You're going to make me work now for a goal for mine.

Did you have problems getting to the pool this morning? I know you said some roads were closed and getting there would be tough. Did LW swim it too, or count for you?

That's crazy about the hair, I wouldn't know what to think of it. I have an SUV, so people just can't put stuff on the trunk, since there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sounds like a great 1500, what's that like 45 sec faster than last year? You haven't posted much about training, have you been doing long swims to train for it? You're going to make me work now for a goal for mine.

Did you have problems getting to the pool this morning? I know you said some roads were closed and getting there would be tough. Did LW swim it too, or count for you?

That's crazy about the hair, I wouldn't know what to think of it. I have an SUV, so people just can't put stuff on the trunk, since there isn't one.
    Last year was a 21:57, so about 40 seconds faster this year.

I am training much less. Pretty much just 3x/week since Nationals, dead lifting once a week, still really light (135) and doing core exercises and RC exercises several times a week. My pool work is almost entirely 200s and less with lots of rest. I am holding 1:20s on a 1:40 interval for pretty much any distance or length of set. My kicking is limited to about 200M in warm up, with board no fins. Very little stroke work, but I do try to sub it in for anything labeled pull in our workout. Maybe 20% backstroke as a result, but part of that is cool down and recovery.

LW counted for me. She gets back in the water late next week and isn't planning to swim Zones.

The hair, strange.
    Wow, weave on the car, new one.

Good job on the 1500. I think that time is a lock for TT. Of course, can we get 10 peope in our age group to do the 1500 and 200 fly. Time to focus on the sprint events for Zones.
    Great job on the 1500. Pacing challenges are of course huge, and IMO holding back a bit shows some wisdom.
    It sounds like you swam a smart 1500, with some pretty splits. Congrats!

I have a question about your warmup: When you did your 100s on 2:00 to gauge your pace, did you have a number you were trying to hit? If your comfortable pace had shown up on the clock as 1:20 or 1:29 during warmups, would you have tried to either hold back more or push the pace during your swim, or would you have stuck with what felt comfortable?

(This is a real question--I'm trying to figure out the whole pacing-distance-events thing for myself).
    If your last 100 was under 1:20 then your pace was too slow, but you knew that! In a race like that I think it's smarter to play it a little conservative. No one wants to get to the 500 meters mark and say "uh oh!"
    Very nice swim, Q. Sounds like it was well-executed and you gotta be happy with a drop in time. 1500s done even to negative split are a way more pleasant experience than the reverse.

RE: the hair, WTF can you expect from cheerleaders? Were they sober on a Sunday morning?
    Usually I prefer to leave my hair on my own car.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Very nice swim, Q. Sounds like it was well-executed and you gotta be happy with a drop in time. 1500s done even to negative split are a way more pleasant experience than the reverse.

RE: the hair, WTF can you expect from cheerleaders? Were they sober on a Sunday morning?
    LOL, I guess your daughters won't be cheerleaders

I had no desire to hurt at the end of the 1500, I mean the end of a 1500 lasts a good 6 minutes. You and Tom can keep it.

I was happy with the time, the drop and the race as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    It sounds like you swam a smart 1500, with some pretty splits. Congrats!

I have a question about your warmup: When you did your 100s on 2:00 to gauge your pace, did you have a number you were trying to hit? If your comfortable pace had shown up on the clock as 1:20 or 1:29 during warmups, would you have tried to either hold back more or push the pace during your swim, or would you have stuck with what felt comfortable?

(This is a real question--I'm trying to figure out the whole pacing-distance-events thing for myself).
    Last year I figured out my pace and trained for it in practice before the race. I figured I needed to break 22:00 to make the top 10 in my age group, worked backward from there and tried to hit that pace and no faster. The day after the 1500 I had 5 events, and I didn't want the 1500 killing the following day. It worked out well, but the limiting factor really ended up being the water temperature. It was an evening swim outside in Dallas, so the water was bath water.

This year, I knew I was in better shape and the 1500 was on Sunday while everything else was Saturday, so I didn't worry about the race and I didn't really care if I made the top 10 again. So going into the meet, I didn't have a pace for the race, but I had been doing 1:20s in practice on 1:40s, and I knew I averaged faster than 1:30 last year. I thought 1:24 to 1:26 was where I should be based on this, and swimming a few 100s, 1:26 felt comfortable. I knew if I went out in that, I would be able to come home strong. My first 100 was about a 1:29, so I tried to stretch it out more, and see if I could go a little faster without working any harder. I did 2 or 3 on 1:26 and called it good enough.

I was sore and tired from the day before, so I had no intention of pushing beyond what was comfortable early in the race. If I would have done a couple 1:20s, I would have known that was too fast because they aren't effortless in practice, they are nice solid efforts. But if 1:24s would have been comfortable, I would have gone with that.

In short, I had a reasonable idea of what I could handle and just needed to zero in on the pace I wanted to hold.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    If your last 100 was under 1:20 then your pace was too slow, but you knew that! In a race like that I think it's smarter to play it a little conservative. No one wants to get to the 500 meters mark and say "uh oh!"
    Yeah, I was all about too slow Sunday. I won't know for sure until I get the splits, but I think there was a very large drop between 14 and 15.