View RSS Feed

bzaks1424

Where the @#*& is the @#$8#@$* Wall?!?!

Rate this Entry
Its not often I swear underwater. Usually its caused by an annoyance in my lane or a severe pain in my body. I usually reserve my energy for swimming - its an intelligent thing in my opinion.
This weekend was almost an exception to that rule. That 50 Free in an LCM pool nearly killed me.... but we'll get to that later because right now its time for the

POST MEETS POST MORTEM

The Park Ridge 1500 @ the Oakton Pool in Park Ridge IL
Results

The PR 1500 was a fun race for me actually. I had never honestly swam more than 1000 straight in practice and so my first and foremost thought was "I just need to survive the race" I had done a 20x100 in practice this week - and survived rather well. During the race - I found myself pacing it like a 3x500. The first 500 was a warmup, the second 500 I focused on my form and technique, trying to keep a strong kick and keep going. The final 500 was focused solely on build up; I wanted to make each 100 faster than the 100 before it leaving the final 100 for a sprint to the finish with 0% energy left.

Quick Anecdote: During the race on my first flip turn - I saw the number on the wall - and for some reason I was mesmerized by it, and ended up jamming into the wall on my flip turn. The rest of the meet - I avoided looking at the number so as to prevent that problem.

Well - I finished my race @ 29.32! A PERSONAL RECORD! Hysterically enough - even with my build up and everything - my teammate Jamie told me that my pace was pretty much RIGHT ON 1:59 for all 15 laps (no more than a second or two deviation). So all of that "build up" I did was really just a correction to keep me from going slower. My final "sprint" was on 1:54. So much for extra energy output.

I won my age group though! Out of no one else

Goals for meet:
  • Maintain a consistent pace with no more than a 3-4 second deviation between any two laps.
    DONE AND DONE
  • Keep my *average* split time under 1:50.
    Nope. Going to have to work on that speed thing.
  • Finish the race strong, even with nothing left in my body.
    DONE!
  • Dolphin kick off the wall at least 80% of the time.
    YES! I was very proud of that - I can count only twice off the wall that I didn't dolphin kick and that comes out to 86.67% dolphin off the wall!

Things to improve for next time:
  • I need to bring my average time down. This 1:59 thing won't do for me. I know I just need to build up in the pool with more swimming. These sorts of things come with time.
  • I need to focus on my sprints at the end of the race. I'm pretty sure that I probably could've pulled more out of the tank had I pushed a little harder earlier. I wasn't really feeling tired until the last 2-300 anyway.

The Badger State Games @ Erb Park Pool in Appleton Wi
Results

In this meet I swam the 50 Free, the 50 Back, the 100 Free and I jumped in in an ad-hoc relay (the 4x100 free relay). It was a fun meet- but being there alone kind of sucked. I did make some fun friends though!

The 50 Free
The 50 Free was my first race - and actually the most brutal of the races I did that day. I took my time to warm up. Was pretty relaxed and feeling really good when I got on the blocks. My dive was so-so, I totally forgot to dolphin kick. I was doing really well too until I hit about the 40 meter mark. Then all of a sudden everything started to cut out. I had 0 energy, was totally exhausted and running out of O2. I ended the race on 39 seconds.

The 50 Back
I got out of my swim down from the 50 free and I take a peak at the heat sheet. I have 2 minutes until my 50 back! Aye Dios Mio!! So I shake it all off, sip some gatorade and get down to the blocks. Time to rock and roll! I've never started the back stroke nor have I ever finished the back stroke. So it was an experience. I did get in and swim a 50 back "quickly" to get a feel for it. During the entire race I kept focusing on "floppy floppy ankles" and relaxing the arms as long as they were out of the water. I got through that race in 53 seconds.

The 100 Free
This was a rough rough race. I got done with my 50 back, discovered I only had 3 heats of 50 back before I had to swim the 100 free! So I got a sip of gatorade and started shaking my body around. Had to knock off that lactic acid build up asap. I got on the blocks and dove in. I must not have tucked my chin right because my goggles came off. DOH! I swam as hard as I could, but I was freaking out a little mentally. I was having a hard time breathing and I knew form was collapsing. I went into the wall and did my push off with my eyes completely closed. I came up and kept swimming as hard as I could, running out of breath because I was still in a mental panic. I hit the wall at 1:39 - I was extremely disappointed in that time. I nearly threw up after this event. My stomach was so tight I could barely breath!

The Ad-hoc 4x100 Free Relay
I had about 8 more heats of 100 free after me. So I was able to get a little bit of rest and relaxation before having to dive in again. I was the 2nd swimmer in the relay, and this time - I was going to make sure those goggles were not coming off. I'm partially convinced that I was cutting off circulation to my brain during that race, but I honestly didn't care. I think I swam really really well. I remember looking up at my second split being 40 seconds. If my first split was anything less- that means I did a sub 1:20 on my 100, which for me is AMAZING! I put my relay behind - but fortunately our anchor was pretty fast! He came from behind and won the race! Yay Strangers! Seriously though - Ad-Hoc relays rock the house.

Goals for meet:
  • Under 35 in the 50 Free (its LCM, a whole new beast for me)
    Nope. I have another chance next weekend though. I think I can shave that time off by more intelligent pacing.
  • Under 1:30 for the 100 Free
    If I'm not freaking out about my goggles - yes I can do this next weekend. This weekend I did not.
  • Under 45 for the 50 Back
    I definitely did NOT get anywhere close to that. I'm also not sure if I can pull it off. We'll have to see!
  • Dolphin kick off the wall for my ONE turn.
    Nope. Did not do it on the relay either. I'm going to focus pretty hard on that one over this week and for the next meet.
  • Dolphin kick after my start for the back.
    I totally did not. I will be focusing on that this week as well during practice.
  • Don't screw up my Back start.
    I'm pretty sure I didn't do it "right" but it wasn't awful. I at least made it to the flags before coming up!

Things to improve for next time:
  • I need to focus on endurance for those last 10-15 meters. I need to remember that I can breath when I'm done and honestly - O2 deprivation is fine in the short term. I need to have better times next week.
  • I need to remember to dolphin kick off the wall... One of the things I'm realizing in this 50 meter pool - since I don't have my flip turns and pushing off the wall I need to get as far as I can off my dive as possible so I can spend as minimal amount time swimming as possible so I can have the energy to sprint with with my arms and kick like crazy when I'm not able to glide.

Sorry for the long post. I'm down for any thoughts or suggestions any of you have!

See all of you (or none of you) next weekend at the Indy Swim Fit at the UofI Pool!!!

Submit "Where the @#*& is the @#$8#@$* Wall?!?!" to Digg Submit "Where the @#*& is the @#$8#@$* Wall?!?!" to del.icio.us Submit "Where the @#*& is the @#$8#@$* Wall?!?!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Where the @#*& is the @#$8#@$* Wall?!?!" to Google

Updated July 7th, 2010 at 02:44 PM by bzaks1424 (Jon: post MORTEM Mike MORTEM)

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Great job on getting out and doing the meet! At least you have times and can shoot to beat them.

Do you normally swim long course? It really is tough to train SCY and compete LCM. Nothing quite prepares you for LCM like swimming it.

Will you do the 1500 again? You may want to do some longer swims if you are. They just condition your body for it. Not necessarily a bunch of 1500s, but a mix of longer swims and shorter rest intervals may help.

I've only done back once in a meet, because otherwise I'd have too much time between events. My 50br is much faster than my 50bk, so hopefully someone who's better can help you there.

It really is tough swimming so many events with little rest. And I thought 10-20 min was tight.... Maybe some fast swims on tight intervals in workout could help. Something like 5 x 100 best avg @ 3:00?
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Do you normally swim long course?
    No - my team practices in SCM. Which is slightly better than SCY, but still difficult.

Will you do the 1500 again?
    I'd love to. However - its hard to find meets during the summer nearby :-/ I'll be missing the Carbondale meet because I'm going to be up in Salem Oregon.

Maybe some fast swims on tight intervals in workout could help. Something like 5 x 100 best avg @ 3:00?
    Yeah it really was and I did myself one better for the IndySwim! I'm going to be doing 5 individual events + signing up for any relays! 50/100 Free, 50/100 Back and 50 breast! Hopefully this week I can work in some faster interval workouts to prep my body for this... We'll see how ambitious I am!
    50s long course can be really tough, as you found out! Next week you might want to think about increasing your kick throughout the race. Odds are it was your legs that caused you to hit the (figurative!) wall at around 40 meters.
    Congrats on finishing! I also did my first 1500 this weekend. It wasn't pretty, but I'm glad I did it. Can't see ever wanting to do it again, but for the fact that I did it slow enough to probably beat my time... I should have gone faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by bzaks1424
    Hopefully this week I can work in some faster interval workouts to prep my body for this... We'll see how ambitious I am!
    You don't need faster intervals, you just need to swim faster. There is nothing wrong with going fast and also having lots of rest. Shorter rest is great for getting aerobic benefit, but you are just signed up for sprints, focus on sprinting in practice and work more on aerobic after the LCM season ends (only weeks away).
    I'm glad you posted that. I'm doing an LCM meet next month - same events you did - and haven't been in an LCM pool in over 3 years. I'm not exactly sure what to expect in a meet going from SCY practices but I think this will help. Hopefully I'll get a bit more time between events!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You don't need faster intervals, you just need to swim faster. There is nothing wrong with going fast and also having lots of rest. Shorter rest is great for getting aerobic benefit, but you are just signed up for sprints, focus on sprinting in practice and work more on aerobic after the LCM season ends (only weeks away).
    Yeah - unfortunately - finding an LCM pool around me is very difficult. I practice in a SCM pool, and I'm hoping to find one more event nearby before the end of the summer.

I will probably end up doing a lot of sprints on wednesday night - although Friday all day is just a travel day - so I'm not sure what I'm going to do during that time. Tuesday and Thursday is our set Master's workout... so whatever Coach has us do I'll just do.