View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Creating your own day spa at meet venues

Rate this Entry
Today was gorgeous here, so I walked over to Asphalt Green for the noon workout again. I wanted to work on some stroke and some sprinting today, and ended up totally highjacking what was meant to be a freestyle aerobic set to get what I wanted out of it. Hereís how it went:

500 warmup plus bobbing and sinking

9 x 100 FR (3 kick, 3 drill, 3 swim) @ :20ish rest

Freestyle set:
10 x 75 @ 1:15 [I did 3 as 25 FR/ 25 ST / 25 FR, 3 as 25 ST / 25 FR / 25 ST, 3 as all ST (rotating through FL, BK, and BR for the ST on each of these sets of 3), then 1 as 25 FL / 25 BK / 25 BR]
10 x 50 @ :45 [I did these all FR: 3 desc., then the rest concentrating on various pieces of sprinting: 1 working pushoff and breakout, 1 working turn, 1 working finish, 1 working breakout, 3 working turn]
10 x 25 @ :30 [I did 3 1/3 x (2 easy, 1 sprint)]

200 warmdown + sinking and bobbing

I really hadnít done any much sprinting since nationalsóit felt really good today to go fast.

The only bad thing about workout today is that I somehow lost a contact in the pool. That hadnít happened since I stopped playing polo, and I wasnít even sure when or how it happened today. Although extra contacts are on my bring-to-meets list, theyíre not something I always keep in my pool bag, so I had to get myself home with only one good eye. (Iím terribly nearsightedómy prescription is in the double digits.) It worked out ok, except that I had absolutely no depth perception, so stepping up and down off curbs was a little exciting. From here on Iím keeping an extra lens in my bag. (Of course, I could have just taken a taxi home, but it was really too pretty a day to be stuck in a cab in traffic.)

My last two meet experiences have convinced me that more is more when it comes to stuff. Iíve decided to re-write my meet pack list to accurately reflect all the comfort items I like to surround myself with when Iím hanging out at long meets. In addition to all the usual things like extra caps and goggles and warm clothes, this includes:

--a stretching mat (I like Kieferís stretching mat, which is cushier than yoga mats. Inflatable camping mats also work well too. I try to scout out the venue first thing to find a pretty, out-of-the-way spot to set up my stretching mat. I generally leave my swim bag and spend most of the meet sitting nearer the pool, with teammates or friends, but like having a little retreat set up away from the action.)

--an actual towel (The synthetic ones work fine for drying off after events, but a real beach towel laid over the stretching mat makes it way more comfortable to lie on, plus it looks festive. In a pinch, a hotel towel will do.)

--a pillow (I travel with a small pillow anyway, so carrying it back and forth from hotel to pool is no big deal)

--an eye mask (to block out light, or signal to teammates that youíre enjoying a me moment)

--a cooler packed with a sandwich, snacks, and iced tea (because you never know what food youíll find at meet sites, and nutrition is too important to leave to chance. I have a soft-sided cooler I can pack, or have sometimes bought a cheap hard-sided cooler for longer multi-day meets once I arrive)

--a stretching rope

--a self-massage tool (I travel with this mini one and work pressure points in my back with it)

--ipod (I actually donít use this much at meets, but if I get nervous or down itís a sure-fire way to jolly myself back up)

--a YA book (I find these are about the right reading level for masters meetsóeasy to slip into and out of, not too disturbing, and often quite funny. At Middlebury I plowed through one of the ďDiary of a Wimpy KidĒ sequels, which had me in stitches.)

--toe socks to keep feet from getting chilled when wearing flipflops

--a hat and scarf to ward off chills during downtime

--I donít yet have but want to get a compact foam roller. One of my friends brings his to meets and lets me use it, but Iíd like one of my own.

--and of course a rolling duffle bag to carry all this stuff, because you donít want to tire yourself out by toting it around yourself

Did I leave anything out?

Submit "Creating your own day spa at meet venues" to Digg Submit "Creating your own day spa at meet venues" to del.icio.us Submit "Creating your own day spa at meet venues" to StumbleUpon Submit "Creating your own day spa at meet venues" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My house doesn't even have all that stuff.
    I will have to keep some of those items (ie the eye mask) in mind for my next meet. Those are some good items to have.
    I also pack extra packets of G2 (the powdered single-use packets) in case I need more "energy".
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    My house doesn't even have all that stuff.
    Well, if you need help finding it on the internet, just let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    I will have to keep some of those items (ie the eye mask) in mind for my next meet. Those are some good items to have.
    I also pack extra packets of G2 (the powdered single-use packets) in case I need more "energy".
    I didn't know that came in single-use packets--that's good to know.

The next time I have a hot-weather meet planned, I'm going to have to experiment with different types of energy drinks w/ electrolytes and stuff to see what I like best.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I didn't know that came in single-use packets--that's good to know.

The next time I have a hot-weather meet planned, I'm going to have to experiment with different types of energy drinks w/ electrolytes and stuff to see what I like best.
    Yes, if you come to SCY nationals next year, here in Mesa, definitely come prepared for warm weather. In April it could be somewhat comfortable, but you never know....
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Yes, if you come to SCY nationals next year, here in Mesa, definitely come prepared for warm weather. In April it could be somewhat comfortable, but you never know....
    I was actually thinking about Mesa when I wrote that! Not at all certain if I'll be able to come, but I am thinking ahead.
    I was actually thinking about Mesa when I wrote that! Not at all certain if I'll be able to come, but I am thinking ahead.
    Well I hope you can make it, would be great to meet you. I can't remember if they separate men/women for the long stuff (1000/1650)? We're similar speeds, but unfortunately we wouldn't get to swim together for most events.
    Well I hope you can make it, would be great to meet you. I can't remember if they separate men/women for the long stuff (1000/1650)? We're similar speeds, but unfortunately we wouldn't get to swim together for most events.
    On the upside, though, if I'm not in the water with you I can cheer for you!
    I've been cutting back on stuff I bring to the pool, but I've always got two towels, PB&J, and my folding camping chair. So much better than sitting on bleachers.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    I've been cutting back on stuff I bring to the pool, but I've always got two towels, PB&J, and my folding camping chair. So much better than sitting on bleachers.
    Yeah, I go back and forth on how much stuff I want to bring to meets. Right now I'm definitely in a maximalist phase.

I agree that folding camp chairs are great. They're especially nice at outdoor meets, where you can often set them up under a nice shady tree. I once even have one with a foot rest attached--kind of a camping barcalounger.

For me, these chairs' weight and bulk usually mean they don't make the final cut for travel meets that require checked luggage. Maybe what I really need is one of those superhuge rolly equipment bags like hockey teams use to cart around all their stuff. That and a Sherpa.
    Maybe what I really need is one of those superhuge rolly equipment bags like hockey teams use to cart around all their stuff.
    Look into a Zuca Sport. It is a wheeled bag that you can sit on, although you still might have too much stuff.
    I agree that folding camp chairs are great. They're especially nice at outdoor meets, where you can often set them up under a nice shady tree. I once even have one with a foot rest attached--kind of a camping barcalounger.

For me, these chairs' weight and bulk usually mean they don't make the final cut for travel meets that require checked luggage.
    Did you mention an umbrella? There is a grassy area at Kino behind some of the bleachers.
    When I've gone to meets before, I looked as if I was going away for years. Coolers, jugs, chairs, umbrellas, bags with several towels, backup suits, backup goggles, etc.

And we have Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, Sam's, etc here. You could easily pick something up....and I'll take any donations of what you don't want to cart back.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Look into a Zuca Sport. It is a wheeled bag that you can sit on, although you still might have too much stuff.
    I googled that, and it looked like it might come in especially useful in long airport lines. In fact, I think I've seen people sitting on such things (and looking pretty smug.)

I think ultimately what I need might just be an RV . . .
    Did you mention an umbrella? There is a grassy area at Kino behind some of the bleachers.
    When I've gone to meets before, I looked as if I was going away for years. Coolers, jugs, chairs, umbrellas, bags with several towels, backup suits, backup goggles, etc.

And we have Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, Sam's, etc here. You could easily pick something up....and I'll take any donations of what you don't want to cart back.
    Yeah, as I'm assembling all my stuff for meets, my comedian husband enjoys asking if I'd like my mail forwarded to wherever I'm headed for the next six months.

That's good to know about the superstores in Mesa. I actually bought a cheap hardsided cooler in Atlanta and ended up leaving it with a local swimmer. A big beach umbrella is something I hadn't thought of before--obviously useful to have for outdoor meets, and probably easier to buy once I arrive. And it's good to know that any gear too bulky for the plane could find a good home in Arizona!
    I googled that, and it looked like it might come in especially useful in long airport lines. In fact, I think I've seen people sitting on such things (and looking pretty smug.)

I think ultimately what I need might just be an RV . . .
    I travel with a zuca pro. I have actually gotten my wife to make trips with (gasp) just a carryon since getting her a pink zuca pro. I think they are great, but I get more questions about the zuca since getting it last year than the sum of all my traveling prior.

An RV might be a good idea actually. That would be freakin awesome as Mesa next year.