View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

30 Year Hiatus Ended! Sat., Jan 17

Rate this Entry
Broke out of my drop dead sprinter mold today!

Swam the 200 back for the first time in 30 years. (Never swam it as a freshman in college because we had a designated backstroker.) I'm glad I did it too, even though it's a decidedly different kind of pain than sprinting -- an insidious creeping all over kind of pain. Couldn't do it on a regular basis though.

I was secretly hoping to go around 2:26, as that was the cut off for Top Ten last year. Went a 2:22.36 ... very happy with the time. The swim, however, was, er, an adventure. Calves cramped slightly on the start. But mainly I had a hard time negotiating all the turns. Ideally, I need to take 2 and 1/2 strokes from the flags in before flipping. If I take 2, I glide in; if I take 3, I jam the wall. Decided to take 2 today and glided in big time to most of my turns. My streamlines off the wall weren't so great either. Didn't want to SDK much, but overcompensated and broke out too early. Obviously, my inexperience showed. These things never really discourage me, though, they just make me realize I could go faster if I fixed the problems.

Despite how blastedly tired I felt when the race ended and now, I'm not completely dissuaded from trying it again. (This thought does not apply to the 200 fly, which I still will not try under any known circumstances.)

Don't know what my splits were as the results aren't posted yet.

Still trying to decide whether to swim the 100 backstroke right before my secret event tomorrow or just the secret event. Probably just the latter unless I wake up loads of energy. I love cruising into USS meets and only doing an event or two with no pressure for practice.

I did end up signing up for the 200 backstroke at Auburn, though not the open 100 as it's right before the 50 fly. So I have to decide whether to swim it for a 100 split or just swim it. It would be my last event of the meet. And, by the way, I can't imagine swimming any event within a couple hours of a 200. Those are hard to recover from.

Submit "30 Year Hiatus Ended!   Sat., Jan 17" to Digg Submit "30 Year Hiatus Ended!   Sat., Jan 17" to del.icio.us Submit "30 Year Hiatus Ended!   Sat., Jan 17" to StumbleUpon Submit "30 Year Hiatus Ended!   Sat., Jan 17" to Google

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:29 AM by The Fortress

Categories
USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Nice swim! Good thing the 2 stroke turns didn't get you DQ'd. Honestly, that seems like a very few number of strokes b/cause I take 4.

Now that you've broken out of pure sprinting, the next logical step is the 1650.
    I did feel like I was close to a DQ on my third turn ...

How can you possibly take 4 strokes from the flags in before you flip when you're so tall?! Next time, I will definitely take 3. Just for variety. lol

The 500 and 1650 free and 200 fly and 200 breast are off my to do list forever! Unlike Hulk, I feel no compulsion whatsoever to participate in the Check Off Challenge.
    Leslie, not sure how you can have three comments and no views, but...

did you know that this would have ranked you 7th last year?
    6 Sheila M Stolarski 46 CONN Connecticut 2:20.61 7 Zena Courtney 48 PNA Pacific Northwest 2:23.25
    Congratulations! I think you don't give yourself enough credit. I preminisce middle distance glory in your coming years!
    PS My guess for your secret event--check time stamp to prove I did not read this after the fact--is the 200 I.M.

I don't think you'd do the 400 I.M., but you should. You'd be great at it.
    I guess I failed to put 400 IM on my "don't do" list. It does involve 4, count them 4, lengths of evilstroke. But thank you for the vote of confidence, Jim!
    Yes you have to want it to do the 100 BR...
    I hear you on the 200 impact. The 200 Free today destroyed me.

Very nice job even with all the waah, waah, waah in there.

Swim both. You'll be fine. You maximized your rest potential so take advantage.
    Great swim! Seems like all your problems with it stem from inexperience with the event rather than lack of training for it; I bet you could shave lots of time from it.

B/c backstroke demands so much of the legs, the 200 can be really painful if you take it out too hard.
    Great job!!! I like the comment made by the Curl Burke kids. lol But you are NOT old.You inspire me Leslie!! I've been contemplating entering the 200 back at Clovis and now I think I'm going to go for it.
    Good job, you can probably be in the way under 2:20 at your taper meet.
    Thanks guys! I did feel very inexperienced, like I was swimming a long way in slo mo. It will be interesting to see what my splits were. I did feel like I've gotten some decent aerobic work in the last few months, so I'm glad I gave it a whirl.
    way to go girl
    i'm proud of you
    Very nice swim.

Good luck tomorrow at THE MAIN EVENT!
    Doh! Good luck TODAY.
    Nice job. That's faster than my free time!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, I have a 76" reach and I take three.
    Awesome swim!

New shores await!

Good luck on today's events!
    Ur a big girl now. That event hurts.

Very nice job.
    Thanks guys. I guess it's nice to be a big girl. lol

I took 3 strokes today and was very close to the wall, Rob. Felt scrunched.