View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Body in Shock, July 8

Rate this Entry
Showing an amazing amount of hubris, I journeyed to my team LC practice at GMU tonight.

Warm up:

50 crunches
50 bicycles
50 flutter kicks
20 lunges (I did plyo lunges)
20 chest passes w/med ball
20 tricep passes w/med ball

400 swim
300 kick
200 stroke
100 scull

Main Sets:

6 times through:

75 kick @ mod pace @ 1:50
75 swim, ascend by 25s, start fast from middle of pool @ 1:30 (I did these 25 moderately fast and 50 cruise)
swim = free, fly, free, back, free, breast

50 EZ

2 x 250 pull, 40 RI
(This was supposed to follow some breathing pattern, but I just breathed every stroke as usual in LC.)

50 EZ

10 x 100 @ 1:50
odds = 75 free + 25 stroke fast
evens = 75 stroke + 25 free fast

I did the set with fins and did the evens flutter kick averaging around 1:15. Got a cramp on #8.

50 EZ

1 x 50 fast from blocks
(I passed on this, too crampy. Should have taken endurolytes.)

200 EZ

Total: 3700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I survived my 2nd LC workout of the season. To facilitate this survival, I showed an uncharacteristic restraint in approaching the workout. I tried to ease in and have something left for the last set. As expected, my feel for the water was gone and I had no speed. I felt like I was swimming through jello. And also as expected, my leg endurance was better than my arm endurance. Hence, the substituted kicking in the last set. My freestyle felt positively vomitous. It was as if I was doing some other stroke. It felt much smoother with paddles, but I guess that's typical.

It's rather a shock getting back to the grind. I spent a major portion of the day driving around, purchasing copious amounts of food, and feeding hungry kids. Lil Fort is back at summer swim and doing soccer camp. Mini Fort is raking in major bucks from lifeguarding and teaching private swim lessons. She is in volleyball camps at Mason for the next two weeks, and only swimming in SL meets this summer (no swim practices). Fort Son (who did not vacation with us b/c of rowing -- doubles every day and a nap in between) is doing very well. He made the competitive rowing team roster and also made their travel team. He leaves for Nationals in Tennessee on Monday, rowing in a lightweight 4. And I'm back to deeking kids again on Saturday. Not sure how I got roped into doing this on my birthday, but at least it's a relatively short meet.

Article:

A friend send me this article today about a masters cyclist who spent 8 months trying banned PEDs to write about the experience: http://outside.away.com/outside/body...ug_test_1.html. Perhaps Jimby should do this as well.

Submit "Body in Shock, July 8" to Digg Submit "Body in Shock, July 8" to del.icio.us Submit "Body in Shock, July 8" to StumbleUpon Submit "Body in Shock, July 8" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Wow! 3,700 LCM on your first day back. Hubris or questionable sanity? Good for you. I'm still not back into LCM training ... though, admittedly, have done only slightly more than you.

Way to go Fort Son. Is he thinking of rowing in college? I remember talking to a rowing assistant coach at Wisconsin-Madison when I was there for grad school and he said he looked for swimmers with good legs to be rowers because of their endurance, ability to train like hell, attitude, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Wow! 3,700 LCM on your first day back. Hubris or questionable sanity? Good for you. I'm still not back into LCM training ... though, admittedly, have done only slightly more than you.

Way to go Fort Son. Is he thinking of rowing in college? I remember talking to a rowing assistant coach at Wisconsin-Madison when I was there for grad school and he said he looked for swimmers with good legs to be rowers because of their endurance, ability to train like hell, attitude, etc.
    LCM is a dead loss for me this year. At this time last year, I was in great shape and had just swum my first 200 meter back. I wouldn't even attempt a 100 back right now. But, no matter, this is my "off" season in terms of meets and solid training.

Oh, yes, Fort Son definitely wants to row in college. He has dabbled in swimming, running and triathlons and he has the perfect train like hell mentality. Conversely, Mini Fort, with all her athletic talent, seems to lack this mentality. I'm constantly amazed at how different, personality wise, all my children are.
    Welcome back!

Thanks for sharing that interesting article.
    Welcome back! I'm sure that workout will be quite a shock to your system.

That's a crazy story...using animal drugs? And I thought the guys at the gym were crazy when they told me they had 9 eggs for breakfast every day (and Geek thinks I'm crazy for my occasional protein shake). The crazy thing is, I'm sure stuff like this happens with more people than we'd think, and probably those we don't think of.
    Thanks for posting the article. It was very interesting!

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip!
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Welcome back!

Thanks for sharing that interesting article.
    Thanks Matt. I found it interesting as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Welcome back! I'm sure that workout will be quite a shock to your system.

That's a crazy story...using animal drugs? And I thought the guys at the gym were crazy when they told me they had 9 eggs for breakfast every day (and Geek thinks I'm crazy for my occasional protein shake). The crazy thing is, I'm sure stuff like this happens with more people than we'd think, and probably those we don't think of.
    My body feels worse this am than last night after a decent sleep ... I think I'm still recovering from jet lag too. I did force myself to stay up until what would have been 5:00 am once we got home from the flight.

Geek doesn't like your protein shakes? I still haven't read that discussion yet.

I wouldn't be shocked if masters swimmers were using HGH, but I think it really would be very few.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Thanks for posting the article. It was very interesting!

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip!
    We did have a great trip. How are you doing? Have you been blogging? Oops, I see you did take a few days off.
    I remember reading this article...while sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office! I remember wondering if the doctor was trying to recruit test subjects...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    I remember reading this article...while sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office! I remember wondering if the doctor was trying to recruit test subjects...
    lol

I wonder how many "improvement doctors" there really are ...