View RSS Feed

chaos

Catalina countdown

Rate this Entry
by , July 8th, 2010 at 11:22 PM (1709 Views)
Catalina countdown
Posted July 3rd, 2010 at 03:20 PM by chaos
Its the big July 4th weekend and the word on everyone's lips is "SHARKS". Its perhaps the most common theme of questioning from people not familiar with open water swimming, and I'm not surprised that the NY Post (little more than a right-wingnut tabloid) would feature an article from myfoxny.com that quotes a non-expert saying "But I have no doubt that a great white shark that swims into your comfort zone would surely find a splashing paddle or dangling hand inviting. I also expect that same passing shark would spend little time differentiating between boater, paddler and prey." hmmmm.. some credentials please? were this the case, there would be thousands of shark attacks each year... think about what you're saying!

article: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...SP3c6ve9e5TedL

on the other side of the country: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...f-socal-coast/

yes, the channel islands referred to are those that include Catalina Island.

I am fortunate to have assembled a very enthusiastic crew that includes 2 kayakers (Beth and Peter), 2 CCSF observers (yet to be named), and 4 friends that will handle everything from filming to feeds to swimming along with me. (Tobey, John, Roz, Ian). In 16 days, we will gather at the 22nd st. landing in San Pedro to load up and board the Outrider http://www.22ndstreet.com/outrider.htm and depart around 9PM toward Catalina.... splash time 12 midnight. This will be my first long swim without Clare acting as my support. I think I have my feed routine worked out to be easily implemented by any willing party but... there will still be something missing. A few days later, Clare will meet me in SF and we will do a celebratory Alcatraz swim together.

I've done a bit of night swimming, but have never swum through kelp in the dark. In daylight, the experience is somewhat mixed... upon first approaching, its impossible not to gaze down the giant stalks as they disappear into the blue depth and feel like someone turned a great forest upside down, but the weeds can also lay heavily on the surface and contact is a bit scratchy. Kelp encounters are likely to occur near the shore at the start and finish of the swim.... I'm a bit nervous about swimming through "night kelp".

My friend Jordan came up for a long July 4th swim in Lake Minnewaska. We did 12 x 2k with a minute or two between each to feed. I used my familiar 1st Endurance EFS mix but, as I failed to adjust my liquid intake to the hot summer conditions, wound up a bit dehydrated by the end and suffered with a low grade headache all the next day. Jordan will be heading to dover in a few weeks and has a few more long ones scheduled before he departs to Dover. I am taking this week and next light.... <40k and <30k respectively. Every body of water around here has become uncomfortably warm due to the heat wave.

12 days to Catalina.........

Submit "Catalina countdown" to Digg Submit "Catalina countdown" to del.icio.us Submit "Catalina countdown" to StumbleUpon Submit "Catalina countdown" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

12 x 2K actually sounds pretty fun even though I would have to sleep for 3 days after it. Good luck with the Catalina swim. I like how you are taking it easy with <40K.
    Your posts continue to leave my bipolar about truly long OW swimming. Good luck.

I couldn't get the SignOnSanDiego link to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Your posts continue to leave my bipolar about truly long OW swimming. Good luck.

I couldn't get the SignOnSanDiego link to work.
    thanks patrick!

the linked article seems to be down but i can summarize: sharks, sharks, sharks, california, sharks, sharks, sharks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    12 x 2K actually sounds pretty fun even though I would have to sleep for 3 days after it. Good luck with the Catalina swim. I like how you are taking it easy with <40K.
    thanks tom.
    i blew it though.... i'm at 41k for the week so far and there is still one more day.