Free Bird (Live) by Lynard Skynrd
No Woman, No Cry (Live) by Bob Marley
November Rain by Guns N' Roses
Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
Gloria (Live) by The Doors
We Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who
Stairway to Heaven by Led Zepplin
Layla by Eric Clapton

Took the whole darn practice to finish the playlist anyway.

For the entire duration of No Woman, No Cry and part of November Rain (I'd guess that to be about 15 minutes) we took a break from our regular routine of swimming back and forth and back and forth to focus on some vertical kicking. At first I was all, "pshaw, I got this, I can tread water for hours." Then, Coach came over, and made it clear to us newbies that the vertical kicks were to be done in a full-on streamline position, hands above heads.

That is harder.

This lane-leading kickboarder could only make it through one of the three 20-second intervals without full-on drowning and resorting to keeping my hands out of the water via the Miss America waving position.

Then we did some underwater bobs and streamline ups, where I learned about making sure not to propel yourself off the floor of the pool head-first into a lane line. Ouch.

Submit "FREEBIRD!" to Digg Submit "FREEBIRD!" to del.icio.us Submit "FREEBIRD!" to StumbleUpon Submit "FREEBIRD!" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I think those longish songs could go well with a 1500 workout! (Someone once told me that his 1650 took exactly as long as "Bolero," and that swimming felt just as repetitive.)

Yes, vertical kicking does get harder once your hand are up up up in the air. I always cheat and do eggbeater kick, and inevitably get fussed at for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I think those longish songs could go well with a 1500 workout! (Someone once told me that his 1650 took exactly as long as "Bolero," and that swimming felt just as repetitive.)

Yes, vertical kicking does get harder once your hand are up up up in the air. I always cheat and do eggbeater kick, and inevitably get fussed at for it.
    I think I'll need to memorize all the lyrics to a really long song for the next time I swim a mile. Which may be never...