View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

O give me lane, lots of lane, under starry skies above . . .

Rate this Entry
This morning I went to early LC workout at Asphalt Green. Hereís what we did:

400 LCM warmup + bobbing and sinking

600 reverse-order IM, 100 Swim + 50 Kick of each stroke

8 x 50 drill: 2 fist, 4 tap drill, 2 dps

2 Ĺ times through
300 IM (50 FL, 100 BK, 50 BR, 100 FR)
3 x 50 kick (1st round FL, 2nd round BR, 3rd round would have been BK if weíd gotten that far)
3 x 50 easy FR, decreasing # of breaths by 2 on each successive 50

100 warmdown

Sometimes the numbers of swimmers in each lane at these workouts works out strangely. Today, there were 8 or 9 swimmers in each of the 2 fastest lanes, and just 2 or 3 in each of the other 2. By speed I would usually swim in the next-to-fastest lane, but today the range of speeds in that lane made efficient clumping unlikely (if the rest of the swimmers stay on each othersí feet, as they often do, I figure it really doesnít matter whether Iím sharing a lane with 2 or 12 others, as long as I make sure Iím not in the middle of the clumping).

So I scooted over to one of the slower lanes and swam the workout there. That was fine for the drillsóIím a pretty slow drilleróbut on the IMs I was way too fast for the interval. So I compensated by doing double turns at each wall, and doing the vertical-axis strokes as 50 swim/50 kick. If Iíd stayed in my original lane, I would have gotten in more yardage, but this way I got in some additional turn and kick work. Itís a trade-off Iím happy to make.

Sometimes I do wish teammates were less married to their usual lanes (not to mention their particular position within lanes), but it seems like itís been that way on every masters team Iíve ever swum with. When I coached, one of the least pleasant parts of the job was trying to even out overcrowded lanesóthere were always certain people you knew would have their feelings hurt or be in a snit for the rest of workout if you asked them to move down from ďtheirĒ lane, and who even preferred swimming 7 or 8 in a scy lane to switching. Iím usually happier moving to wherever I can find good space to swim, and luckily in a lcm setup thereís usually somewhere that fits that description. Plus, I get to chat with swimmers I know less well, which is always fun.

This Sunday Iím headed out to the Wilton Summer Sizzler LCM meet and bbq. Iím signed up for 100 FR, 400 FR, 200 IM, 50 FL, and 50 FR. Iím swimming the 400 free just for the sake of doing all the events (minus the 1500) this summeróI predict that I will negative split it. The other event I donít even have any predictions for, but I know it will be a fun dayóit will be my first pool swim outdoors this season, and the Wilton folks always put on a fabulous event!

Good luck to everyone doing the Charlottesville swim this weekend! Stay cool and swim fast!

Submit "O give me lane, lots of lane, under starry skies above . . ." to Digg Submit "O give me lane, lots of lane, under starry skies above . . ." to del.icio.us Submit "O give me lane, lots of lane, under starry skies above . . ." to StumbleUpon Submit "O give me lane, lots of lane, under starry skies above . . ." to Google

Comments

We just had a relatively successful lane adjustment at our pool, too many people wanted to be in the fastest lane, so they took over the lane next to them. There was a moment when I had actual fear I was going to have to change lanes, why is it that we get so attached to where we are?

When I moved up to the faster lane last year, I felt like I was betraying my lane 2 folks, who had been with me since I started competing.

Have a great meet this weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    We just had a relatively successful lane adjustment at our pool, too many people wanted to be in the fastest lane, so they took over the lane next to them. There was a moment when I had actual fear I was going to have to change lanes, why is it that we get so attached to where we are?

When I moved up to the faster lane last year, I felt like I was betraying my lane 2 folks, who had been with me since I started competing.
    So maybe it's not actually the lanes swimmers feel married to, but the lanemates! That's a sweeter way of thinking about it.
    Maybe it's just humans! I teach in a building with about 100 staff members. Every month we have a staff meeting in the cafeteria, and every month everyone sits at the same tables with the same people. It's just like high school - boys with boys, girls with girls, cool kids with cool kids, science nerds with science nerds, jocks with jocks. No one would ever dream of sitting at a different table. Ever.
    Humans!
    Enjoy your al fresco swim tomorrow...
    I am a big time lane hopper. Some days I like to go last in the faster lanes; other days I like to go first in the slower lanes. I would get bored swimming with the same folks all the time. I always like the looks on peoples faces when I randomly hop in their set lanes. I think (hope) they like the variety too even if they won't switch.

Good luck in your meet!
    As long as I get the space I need I'm not too concerned with what lane I am in or who I share with. I do understand the feeling of being used to something though. In my prior dance classes I was always in the front on the left end. Being a taller person I know I'll be in the middle for shows but I liked my spot there and it was always uncomfortable to move. The once or twice that someone else tried to take my spot also made me a bit unhappy. After a couple weeks though, he new spot felt like home.

I had considered the Wilton meet but I seem to have overworked my legs badly this past week so it was probably good I didn't sign up. Hope it goes well and that you have a great time!
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    Maybe it's just humans! I teach in a building with about 100 staff members. Every month we have a staff meeting in the cafeteria, and every month everyone sits at the same tables with the same people. It's just like high school - boys with boys, girls with girls, cool kids with cool kids, science nerds with science nerds, jocks with jocks. No one would ever dream of sitting at a different table. Ever.
    Humans!
    Enjoy your al fresco swim tomorrow...
    That's really funny!

This morning our coach caused all sorts of consternation by switching up the slowest and fastest sides of the pool. Even though lanemates stayed together, everyone was a bit taken aback by swimming in a different location (except those of us in the middle!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I am a big time lane hopper. Some days I like to go last in the faster lanes; other days I like to go first in the slower lanes. I would get bored swimming with the same folks all the time. I always like the looks on peoples faces when I randomly hop in their set lanes. I think (hope) they like the variety too even if they won't switch.

Good luck in your meet!
    Sometimes slower swimmers do look dismayed if I hop in their lane, but I always assure them that I'll be a good lanemate and that they have full authority to kick me out of the lane if I misbehave too badly. The only time it doesn't work is when coaches try to give faster intervals to a lane because I'm swimming there, but my current coach is good about not doing that.

I swam in 5 different lanes this morning, which comes close to my PR of 6! If I'd stayed for the whole practice I might have taken that record down.

I think I would like swimming workouts with you Bobinator!
    Quote Originally Posted by jessicafk11
    As long as I get the space I need I'm not too concerned with what lane I am in or who I share with. I do understand the feeling of being used to something though. In my prior dance classes I was always in the front on the left end. Being a taller person I know I'll be in the middle for shows but I liked my spot there and it was always uncomfortable to move. The once or twice that someone else tried to take my spot also made me a bit unhappy. After a couple weeks though, he new spot felt like home.
    Yeah, it's always hard to show up to a new dance class--space at the barre and on the floor always seems so ritualized, I'm always afraid I will step on someone's toes, metaphorically if not literally. And don't even get me started on the yoga mat wars at my gym!
    So funny!!! Even when I swim by myself, if there are multiple open lanes I will gravitate towards "my" lane... or even the ones closest to it!!!