50 scull

4 x 100 breast w/MF @ 1:40
4 x 50 double shooter w/MF @ 1:00
50 scull

50 EZ

Total: 3850

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Still feeling fairly nasty and trying to get feel for the water back. I didn't bother with anything fast today. Right now, it would be futile and counter-productive. I seem to recall after my 2 weeks post-Nats hiatus that it took me 4-5 days before I did any speed work.

I'm going to have to change my usual early-to-mid afternoon solo swim time. The rec center has been invaded by summer campers and it was a zoo. Only 3 lanes for lap swimming, no backstroke flags and I had to share with 2 different noodlers. Hoping I can shift swimming to post 3:30 pm, but I have to see if that will work with picking Mini Fort up from work and getting her to volleyball camp ... Might not ... Hmm ... I wonder if OakMarr is also a kid zoo? If so, I may need to travel to GMU during lap swim hours.

Other random thoughts:

1. How much faster does one go per 100 with paddles than without?

2. I am enjoying returning to my breakfast smoothies. I was smoothie deprived on vacation.

3. I didn't gain a lick of weight on vacation with less exercise and more food. Similarly, I didn't lose anything on my detox. This would tend to confirm my "set point" theory of weight. Of course, both instances were limited to 2 weeks.

4. I still need to sign up for Zones. I will likely stick with the 4 x 50s. I'm rather dreading doing a 50 evil LC sans suit though. Warm up is at 7:30 on Sunday. Yikes, really early for me for a pool 40 minutes from my house ...

5. My vacation buddies are urging Fort fam to go on another June vacation next year. Very tempting, but that would really mess with my plan to go to Auburn LCM Nats. On the other hand, I seemed to bounce back reasonably quickly after my 2 weeks of viral malaise. But LC is a different animal ...

6. I need to gear up and start my TRX regimen. But I'm feeling rather unmotivated wrt drylands at the moment.

7. I am not so fond of this weather. No idea how triathletes and runners can train in it. It is suffocatingly hot and humid. After being outside all the time for 2 weeks, I now don't feel like leaving the house! The only sane place to be is the beach in this weather.

8. I am officially calling out Geek for welching on his bet. I have seen no video evidence of the promised nekked 200 fly.

9. Where oh where is Wolf Girl?

10. I just read in Bicycle magazine that Lance Armstrong is only 5'8". I somehow thought he was taller. No wonder he quit swimming!

11. Couple pics from Oslo below.

Article:

Why keep a training blog:

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Arti...tm_medium=feed
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020274.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	6414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020297.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	6415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020308.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	6416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020325.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	6417  

Submit "Friday, July 9" to Digg Submit "Friday, July 9" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, July 9" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, July 9" to Google

Updated July 9th, 2010 at 10:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

The rec center has been invaded by summer campers and it was a zoo. Only 3 lanes for lap swimming, no backstroke flags and I had to share with 2 different noodlers. Hoping I can shift swimming to post 3:30 pm, but I have to see if that will work with picking Mini Fort up from work and getting her to volleyball camp ... Might not ... Hmm ... I wonder if OakMarr is also a kid zoo? If so, I may need to travel to GMU during lap swim hours.
    Sounds like a very common theme once school is out and camps get underway.
    I've resorted to waking up with the early birds to avoid the daily onslaught.

I swim a few seconds faster per hundred with the paddles. Around 3 to be exact. Maybe it's all mental?
    When they come off it feels as if there's no traction.
    1. I'm slower with paddles.

3. I often found that vacations in Europe left me in the same position. The volume of walking is so much more there, even compared to a dense city like NYC.

5. Do the vacation early in June or, if later, just try to get some swimming in while vacationing.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Sounds like a very common theme once school is out and camps get underway.
    I've resorted to waking up with the early birds to avoid the daily onslaught.

I swim a few seconds faster per hundred with the paddles. Around 3 to be exact. Maybe it's all mental?
    When they come off it feels as if there's no traction.
    Waking up with the early birds -- I'd have to be very desperate to resort to that. But I guess it's a possibility. Of course, then the pools may be full of the USA-S teams.

I doubt it's mental. They have to provide more traction and thus more propulsion, don't they? I can see why some like them though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    1. I'm slower with paddles.

3. I often found that vacations in Europe left me in the same position. The volume of walking is so much more there, even compared to a dense city like NYC.

5. Do the vacation early in June or, if later, just try to get some swimming in while vacationing.
    Slower with paddles or with paddles and a pull buoy?

Yes, the volume of walking on vacation was substantial. Generally, I'm not much of a walker, but I enjoy European walking!

My kids don't get out of school until June 21 next year. We have a very late school year and don't go back to school until after Labor Day. I can see taking my rising 4th grader out early without incident; not so sure about my rising sophomore. Though it really does seem like they do very little the last week of school.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Waking up with the early birds -- I'd have to be very desperate to resort to that. But I guess it's a possibility. Of course, then the pools may be full of the USA-S teams.

I doubt it's mental. They have to provide more traction and thus more propulsion, don't they? I can see why some like them though.

Yep had to start going early to avoid sharing lanes with the aqua joggers types.

Depending on what size paddle...you can pull back faster or slower.
    The dinner plate ones that look like artists palettes are definitely too big to build up speed with.

I use the medium size and can manage to put some umph into them.

Welcome home by the way. And congratulations Patrick on your career changes. More time with the family is always good.
    1. My moderate pace and slower is faster with paddles. I have never done speed work with them.

2. Too difficult to make fun of this to the level appropriate.

3. The biggest weight gain I have experienced from cruising has been the additional salt intake. I lose a lot of weight the first day back from a cruise. This last cruise it wasn't an issue at all, and I think it might have been the level of culinary art on that cruise

4. Me too, but I might venture into something longer but exclude some diversity.

8. He should go into hiding.

9. You would think I would be the one who should have gone into hiding.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Yep had to start going early to avoid sharing lanes with the aqua joggers types.

Depending on what size paddle...you can pull back faster or slower.
    The dinner plate ones that look like artists palettes are definitely too big to build up speed with.

I use the medium size and can manage to put some umph into them.
    I have small to medium size paddles. Can't imagine the dinner plate size. And I can't even really imagine getting up umph with my smaller ones. But then again I haven't really tried yet. But I suspect I will ...
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    1. My moderate pace and slower is faster with paddles. I have never done speed work with them.

2. Too difficult to make fun of this to the level appropriate.

3. The biggest weight gain I have experienced from cruising has been the additional salt intake. I lose a lot of weight the first day back from a cruise. This last cruise it wasn't an issue at all, and I think it might have been the level of culinary art on that cruise

4. Me too, but I might venture into something longer but exclude some diversity.

8. He should go into hiding.

9. You would think I would be the one who should have gone into hiding.
    What cruise line were you on? The swanky Princess line?

Glad you didn't make fun of me, as I'm still suffering from jet leg and doubtless will make more faux pas.

Wolfy is just awol. I hope he's on vacation or something exciting. Did he say if his new job was still in IT?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    What cruise line were you on? The swanky Princess line?

Wolfy is just awol. I hope he's on vacation or something exciting. Did he say if his new job was still in IT?
    Seabourn.

No one ever leaves IT.
    Seabourne looks amazing. When I'm all grown up and don't have to consider children, I'm there.
    What line were you on?
    I got a pair of the big "Star" paddles. The paddles are great for working on getting a good catch and body roll. I'm 8 to 10 seconds faster when repeating 200's with the paddles.(of course I'm all pull and no kick anyway)

Where are you thinking about going next year? I think a family vacation abroad is worth much more than the last week of school unless of course it's finals week!
    BTW nice pics of Oslo! It looks gorgeous!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW LESLIE!!!! Have a wonderful day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I got a pair of the big "Star" paddles. The paddles are great for working on getting a good catch and body roll. I'm 8 to 10 seconds faster when repeating 200's with the paddles.(of course I'm all pull and no kick anyway)

Where are you thinking about going next year? I think a family vacation abroad is worth much more than the last week of school unless of course it's finals week!
    BTW nice pics of Oslo! It looks gorgeous!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW LESLIE!!!! Have a wonderful day!
    Our friends are working on us to go to the mediterranean, including Malta, Majorca, Corsica, Tunisia, Naples (Pompeii), etc. I'm been bugging Mr. Fort to go to Rome for some time, but we might do that in connection with Worlds in 2012. Of course, that would be 3 years in a row of very expensive vacations ... But think of all the money I'll save not having to buy any tech suits this year.

In retrospect, I wish I had brought my Nikon. I just didn't feel like hauling a big camera around so I just used my little digital one.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    What line were you on?
    We were on this cruise: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...pitals-cruise/.

It was actually perfect for the kids and adults. Disney is meticulously organized, a fairly premium line, and the food was surprisingly good (especially at the adult only restaurants). We did a combination of self tours and boat tours. I don't tend to like tours, but the ones we went on (you couldn't just walk around St. Petersburg for instance) were pretty informative and enjoyable.

Still, I can easily see lux yachting in my future.
    1. How much faster does one go per 100 with paddles than without?

I go about 3-5 seconds faster per 100 with paddles than without. The buoy doesn't matter too much, I use a tiny one anyway (Laura always makes fun of it). With fins + paddles, even faster yet, around 7 sec/100. I don't use paddles too much, due to all of the threads on these forums about shoulder injuries.

2. I am enjoying returning to my breakfast smoothies. I was smoothie deprived on vacation.

Regardless of what Geek or anyone else thinks, I'm continuing to have a protein shake/smoothie whenever I feel like.
    Kind of surprised they didn't offer any smoothies on your cruise. Several European hotels I've stayed at had very good smoothies for breakfast, with some fruits that we usually wouldn't use here.

3. I didn't gain a lick of weight on vacation with less exercise and more food. Similarly, I didn't lose anything on my detox. This would tend to confirm my "set point" theory of weight. Of course, both instances were limited to 2 weeks.

Most times when I travel like that, I'll lose weight. Never forget being in Japan in grad school for a summer session---I lost 10#.
    Someone on another forum told me things like this are due to water loss, not sure if I buy it though.
    I do walk much much more when I'm on these types of vacation, and it doesn't matter whether I'm in Europe, NYC, or even DC, I'll lose weight.

7. I am not so fond of this weather. No idea how triathletes and runners can train in it. It is suffocatingly hot and humid. After being outside all the time for 2 weeks, I now don't feel like leaving the house! The only sane place to be is the beach in this weather.

I don't know how people train outside in heat + humidity either. Thankfully here it is usually just heat. But now our monsoon seems to have arrived, and it is very soupy out today. I may have to think of alternatives for my run tomorrow morning.
    They did have smoothies on the ship. I tried one, but didn't like it that much. I guess I'm picky!