View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Wilton Summer Sizzler meet report

Rate this Entry
Today I drove up to Wilton, CT to swim in the Summer Sizzler meet. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and I was really happy to be swimming long course outdoors for the first time this summer. Since I had a car, I was able to bring all the stuff I wanted--my camp chair and cooler and an array of hats, as well as my favorite orange polka-dot super-thick beach towel. I really felt like I was in the lap of luxury sitting poolside with all that stuff!

All the usual suspects I mean swimmers from my area showed up—it was great seeing everyone and cheering for them. We had about 10 AGUA swimmers and Craig our coach came and gave good feedback after everyone’s races. The pool at Wilton is a 6-lane pool, with one lane reserved for warm-up. The water was pretty hot—about 84 or 85 degrees—but that was still down from a few days ago, when the water had reportedly shot up past 90 degrees during this region's heat wave. I just wore a tank suit, since my leg suit seemed like it would be hotter (and not in a good way). There were rumors that the meet would stop at 1 pm, wherever we were in the event order, but fortunately the Y let us run over by 20 minutes or so to get in the last 2 events.

Here’s what I swam and how I did:

100 FR: 1:13.89 This was not a great swim. I felt like my arms and my legs were both working hard, but just not together. I missed the wall on my turn, and pretty much just didn’t feel like I had any sprintiness in me for this first event. More sprinting or sprint kicking during warmup might have helped—I was a bit lackadaisical and was enjoying talking to folks too much (and was finding the pool pretty warm) to do a lot of hard swimming during warmup.

400 FR: 5:36.85 This was the event that I swore I was just muddling through simply to check it off for my every-event-this-summer project, but it ended up being my best swim of the day. I was concerned going into the race because my seed time placed me in an outside lane in the fastest heat. I was sure that I would end up being lapped by the other 4 swimmers and garnering pity applause once I finished. But it ended up being a fun race between 3 of us in that heat (I think the fastest swimmer did nearly lap all 3 of us though). I ended up even splitting my 200s (official splits are not yet up, but that’s what coach told me), and swimming a very well-paced race.

200 IM: 3:01.57 Fly slow, back good (with better kicking than I managed 2 weeks ago), breaststroke is still a work in progress, and I had enough left to finish the swim hard. This ended up being a pretty good gauge of how fast I can swim this race right now. I hope to swim it faster at Zones at the end of August, and know I need to work on both my conditioning and my FL and BR technique to do so.

50 BK: 37-something This felt like the longest swim of the meet. I kept willing those flags to appear!

50 FL: 36-something Meh.
Just as I had finished packing up all my stuff and had gotten out my pen and paper to finish writing down my results, I saw a lifeguard ripping them all off the wall and throwing them out. I thought about going and digging through the garbage so I could properly record my 50 times to the hundredth, but decided I could wait for them to be posted online. There was a bbq to go to!

The Wilton folks always host a lovely post-meet cookout underneath a shady pavilion beside the pool and adjacent swimming pond. The food was delicious, and it was a good chance to chat properly with folks that I'd been exchanging "nice swims" with throughout the meet.

Today I also discovered a wonderful new meet food. As I was packing my cooler this morning (mostly just with cold water and drinks, because I knew it would be hot), I put in some sliced cantaloupe. As an afterthought, I also threw in a few slices of prosciutto to go with them. The combination made for a wonderful mid-meet snack—Italians know something about hot-weather foods! I also ended up very glad to have brought a little pre-bbq appetizer, since breakfast at 5:30 and lunch at 2 makes for a long gap.

I now have a nice 3-week span before my next competition (the Governor’s Island 2M OWS), where I have no traveling and minimal work deadlines. I looking forward to getting in some good training!

Added later--splits and final times
100 FR: 1:13.89 (35.88, 38.01)

400 FR: 5:36.85 (2:52.36, 2:44.49)
40.02, 43.72, 43.89, 44.73, 41.90, 42.23, 41.77, 38.59

200 IM: 3:01.57
43.94, 45.79, 52.78, 39.06

50 BK: 37.67

50 FL: 36.15

Submit "Wilton Summer Sizzler meet report" to Digg Submit "Wilton Summer Sizzler meet report" to del.icio.us Submit "Wilton Summer Sizzler meet report" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wilton Summer Sizzler meet report" to Google

Updated July 23rd, 2010 at 04:08 PM by swimsuit addict (times and splits updated)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I did that meet year ago. I remember the cookout too. Luckily, I don't have to travel that far for inseason LCM meets since I can do USA-S meets now.
    The pool and weather conditions sounded enervating, but you certainly made the most of it with all your cool gear and snacks. Nice job on the 400 free.
    every body of water in the north east is too hot right now.... i'm thinking of moving to nova scotia for the summer.
    glad you had a good time.

see you at gov's isle!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I did that meet year ago. I remember the cookout too. Luckily, I don't have to travel that far for inseason LCM meets since I can do USA-S meets now.
    Yeah, you seem to have a bunch right close by--that's really nice. What's up next for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The pool and weather conditions sounded enervating, but you certainly made the most of it with all your cool gear and snacks. Nice job on the 400 free.
    Thanks, and yeah, I've gotten really big on having my creature comforts at meets!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos
    every body of water in the north east is too hot right now.... i'm thinking of moving to nova scotia for the summer.
    glad you had a good time.

see you at gov's isle!
    Yeah, I"m actually hoping the weather and water will cool down a bit before the Gov Island swim, but I'm not counting on it.

I'm glad I'll see you there!
    Congratulations on your great 400! And your snack...v. impressive. I always bring along a couple of PB&J's and I "enjoy" a half after each event. I've got to step up my culinary game!
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    Congratulations on your great 400! And your snack...v. impressive. I always bring along a couple of PB&J's and I "enjoy" a half after each event. I've got to step up my culinary game!
    There's absolutely nothing better than a PB&J sandwich when you're in the mood for one. I think using them as a reward after each swim is brilliant!