View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Not a rest day in the Pyrenees of New York

Rate this Entry
I went to the 5:30 AG LCM workout this morning. I was a little sleepy because I had stayed up last night attending the Varese festival at Lincoln Center (Mr. Addict was part of a baritone chorus featured in one piece), but I was somehow also still energized from the amazing music I heard. It was a good thing I still had all those rhythms banging around in my head, because I needed something to keep me occupied during today’s loooooong freestyle set. Here’s how the workout went:

600 lcm warmup

400 kick w/ board (alternated FR/BR)

Mountain x 3 set:
50 FR
100 FR
150 FR
200 FR
150 FR
100 FR
50 FR

200 FR
300 FR
400 FR
300 FR
200 FR

400 FR
600 FR
800 FR
600 FR
400 FR

[We were supposed to keep our stroke long and relaxed going up each mountain, then go faster on the way down. Alternate-side breathing was also strongly suggested. I did fine with both of these on the 1st mountain. On the 2nd, I rewarded myself with 100m of BK during each swim (one 50 at the end of each half of each distance), which helped me keep count and kept my interest up. Time constraints prevented even the undaunted folks in my lane from finishing the 3rd (HC) mountain—I spent the first part of that set having a stretching break, then put on my fins and switched to kicking for the rest, and lost count of how much we actually did. I did think about working my turns throughout this set and even practiced a little dolphining off the walls—I figured anything that meant fewer strokes for my arms was all to the good.]

100 warmdown

During today’s workout I kept thinking of Chaos’s inspiring Catalina swim and of my friend Cristian who completed a successful Channel swim this week. They both achieved amazing feats, and thinking about their 15+ hour swims helped remind me that a straight 800 lcm is really not anything to whine about!

Submit "Not a rest day in the Pyrenees of New York" to Digg Submit "Not a rest day in the Pyrenees of New York" to del.icio.us Submit "Not a rest day in the Pyrenees of New York" to StumbleUpon Submit "Not a rest day in the Pyrenees of New York" to Google

Comments