View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Long-course Saturday

Rate this Entry
I went to the early-morning LCM workout at Asphalt Green. Once again, I saw tons and tons of people milling around near the park during my cab ride over. I have been wondering each of the last few weeks why so many folks are out on the street at 5:45 on a weekend morning, but I have finally solved the mystery: they are waiting in line to wait in line for free Shakespeare in the Park tickets. Apparently Central Park is officially closed until 6 am (who knew?!), at which point all these folks stream into the park to camp out and wait until tickets are distributed at 1 for that night’s performance. Mystery solved!

Here’s the workout I did this morning:

500 lcm warmup

8 x 50 FR (25 heads up / 25 dps)

8 x 50 BK w/ 15m uw kick off walls [I actually managed to get close to 15m underwater, and experimented with different angles off the wall]

100 sculling

100 easy

Vertical kicking (flutter): :10 kick / :10 rest / :20 kick / :20 rest / :30 kick

200 reverse IM drill

400 FR pull, negative split

Vertical kicking (dolphin): :10 kick / :10 rest / :20 kick / :20 rest / :30 kick

200 reverse IM drill

400 FR pull

12 x 100 FR: 4 @ 1:50, 4 @ 1:45, 4 @ 1:40 [I did every 4th one FR/BK]

Warmdown: 8 x 50, 2 @ :55, 2 @ 1:00, 2 @ 1:05, 2 @ 1:10

I am feeling pretty tired and sore today, and more just did this workout rather than looking for specific opportunities to work on my individual goals. I did get in some good work on the 50s backstroke, and used the final 12 x 100 to think about my upcoming 2m OW race.

Submit "Long-course Saturday" to Digg Submit "Long-course Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Long-course Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Long-course Saturday" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That's odd, I just assumed that Central Park was open 24/7. It would put a damper on early morning running to have to wait until 6am, especially on an unusually warm day. Whenever I've been in NYC, the park seemed pretty busy all the time.

Sounds like a nice swim workout too!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    That's odd, I just assumed that Central Park was open 24/7. It would put a damper on early morning running to have to wait until 6am, especially on an unusually warm day. Whenever I've been in NYC, the park seemed pretty busy all the time.
    I've lived here for over 15 years and didn't realize the park closed, either. There aren't gates or anything to actually physically close the park, and no noticeable signs posted. So those rules must be pretty selectively enforced--I definitely know people are out running and biking in the park before 6 in the summer.

I do think the NYPD actively discourages people from camping out in the park overnight, and folks would definitely do that for Shakespeare tix if they were allowed to. The event website warns that police will arrest people hanging out near Delacorte Theatre (where the ticket line starts) during park "closure" hours, and they have a procedure for bringing people into the park at 6am while preserving the line that has formed outside the park at that hour.