View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

What gets me to the pool

Rate this Entry
I just did a little swimming at my Y today— just my regular 1000 warmup—before going upstairs to stretch a bit. Sometimes I get in too much of a perfectionist mode, and get discouraged if I’m not able to go over to the fancy pool to do a team workout or if I don’t have time to get in long swim session, and I end up choosing not to swim at all. I try to remind myself that even getting in the water for a little bit is worthwhile—I always feel happy when I finish a swim in my Y’s ancient, narrow-laned pool, even if it’s just for 15 or 20 minutes, and even if the lane situation isn’t ideal for doing a real workout.

I was thinking today that one thing I really appreciate about blogging and reading others’ blogs is that it helps me feel like part of a community of folks who swim even when things (health, pools, teams, weather, hours in a day) aren’t ideal, simply because swimming is part of who we are and what we do. So thanks to everyone out there who writes about how they persevere—I’m glad to have your examples to follow on those days when it seems hard to drag myself to the pool!

Another motivation trick I’ve come up with lately is this: I took my nice shampoo and shower stuff over to my Y locker, and replaced it more ordinary products at home. So now if I want to use the fancy stuff, I have to go shower at the Y, and as long as I’m there I might as well get in a swim and/or a workout. So far this has been working pretty well!

After a longish workday, at sunset I went down to the little Riverside Park track and plyoed. Here’s what I did:

2 x 220-yard laps warmup—mix of jogging, skips, and striding out
3 x 40-yard sprints—1 @ 80%, 1 @ 90%, 1 @ 100%
1 x 40 skipping (warmup)
2 x 40 skipping for height (1 right leg, 1 left leg)
2 x 40 skipping for distance (1 right leg, 1 left leg)
1 x 40 skipping for speed
1 x 40 warmdown

After each of my 40s I walk slowly around the rest of the track, so I have plenty of rest between efforts. It was a beautiful night, and I was really enjoying watching the sun set over the river while I was doing all this. On my 3rd sprint I got to outrun some bikes on the river path next to the track—it reminded me of those yahoos at the TdF who run along the road by the cyclists. I plan to stick to the sprinting and skipping variations for a few more weeks, then gradually add some jumping into mix.

Submit "What gets me to the pool" to Digg Submit "What gets me to the pool" to del.icio.us Submit "What gets me to the pool" to StumbleUpon Submit "What gets me to the pool" to Google

Comments

I love your idea about the fancy bath products!!!! I do the same thing! I get this stuff at Lush called "Karma" and I carry it exclusively in the swim bag! It's the best smelling bag in the pool and you're right how it gets you to the pool!
    Nice plyo workout SA! A great way to end your day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I love your idea about the fancy bath products!!!! I do the same thing! I get this stuff at Lush called "Karma" and I carry it exclusively in the swim bag! It's the best smelling bag in the pool and you're right how it gets you to the pool!
    Nice plyo workout SA! A great way to end your day!
    I'm glad to know someone else does this!

Do your teammates always want to borrow your good-smelling shampoo?