View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Cursed, Friday, July 30

Rate this Entry
Bike, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

That was all I could squeeze in, despite my grandiose plans for today. I would exercise tonight, but I've found the last two night practices I've been up to 1:00 am or later. Exercise does not make me sleep!

And I've decided I'm cursed or jinxed since getting off the ship ... I've had an enormous amount of dumb bad luck: Mr. Fort's bike accident, my car was hit and run (why do people do this?!), my car broke down tonight on the eve of vacation and I had to hoof it home, Garmin lost, door broken, freezer broken, teenagers gone bonkers as teenagers do, daughter to doc with eye problems similar to mine, SL politics, etc. etc. When I get to the beach, I am going to nothing except make sure my little one doesn't drown, read my books (have a pile of 10 now) and exercise. I packed my wetsuit just in case the water is not too hot and the jellyfish are out.

One bright note is that I did book a vacation for next summer. This will interfere somewhat with my training plans for Auburn LCM Nationals in 2011, but I should have a good month to re-train and re-boot. My focus meet for 2010 will be a SCM meet in December, either CZ or NE Champs.

I'm sure most of you have read the USMS Swimmer magazine. I tried and reported on 3 of the new tech suit substitutes. To my chagrin, I liked the Speedo LZR Elite best. (This will make JimRude slightly nauseous, I know.) So that is the suit I plan to wear at LCM Zones on Aug. 21-22 with 2 back ups.

And, its official, my GMUP team has been restored and it's in writing. The new deal is better in some respects and worse in others. The people like Speedo who used the 4:45 am spot will have to find other options, and I feel badly for them. But the Sprint Classic and Zones are on! I'm happy to train (albeit periodically and sporadically) in a great facility with a great coach. I love the new Friday open swim option. Training on your own at GMU is typically vastly easier than one of the local rec centers.

Article on Katie Hoff:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/h...medium=twitter

And this sucks on the GF front:

http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/glu...en-free-bread/.

I have not been doing well staying GF lately.

Submit "Cursed, Friday, July 30" to Digg Submit "Cursed, Friday, July 30" to del.icio.us Submit "Cursed, Friday, July 30" to StumbleUpon Submit "Cursed, Friday, July 30" to Google

Updated July 31st, 2010 at 01:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Spinning

Comments

I must have missed the build up to the reinstatement, so could you please resummarize? How did you get your team back?

Also, I went on my own to North Park today, swam a 5k, then remembered that you said you swam 6600 yards at the Y, so I decided to stretch it into a 6k (which converts to 6600 yards), but then I remembered Jim Clemmons or someone saying you had actually swum 6750, so I stretched it to 6200 meters (which converts to 6820 yards.)

So the natural order is restored.

I still swim more distance than you.

Amanda still swims more distance that you and me put together and doubled.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    I must have missed the build up to the reinstatement, so could you please resummarize? How did you get your team back?

Also, I went on my own to North Park today, swam a 5k, then remembered that you said you swam 6600 yards at the Y, so I decided to stretch it into a 6k (which converts to 6600 yards), but then I remembered Jim Clemmons or someone saying you had actually swum 6750, so I stretched it to 6200 meters (which converts to 6820 yards.)

So the natural order is restored.

I still swim more distance than you.

Amanda still swims more distance that you and me put together and doubled.

And I care not! That was a therapeutic fluke!

GMUP summary: The Aquatic Center got itself in a snit over several issues, including Peter as one of the masters coaches. They summarily cancelled our program in an email, stating that there may be a workout blog with a "life fitness' coach. (WTF?!) They did this without the knowledge of the college or AD. There were a slew of complaints at all levels and from some with connections. Complaining 9and some negotiation) seemed to work. Our team is back virtually intact, except without the early am workouts, and they have re-hired Cheryl Ward. The new plan actually works somewhat better with my schedule as there is an open Friday practice an a later Saturday am practice. A bunch of bureaucrats acting as control freaks over their tiny dominion -- sound familiar?
    good news on your team. What were they thinking? Or do they? Have a good vacation? It seems like you need with your drama plagued summers.

Maybe we won't see the legendary Katie Hoff sour puss at Nationals like we saw up and down Beijing.
    I can't imagine any scenario, short of some sort of apocalyptic event, that would require a wetsuit in the ocean here. The water temp is currently 86.9 degrees.
    I'm glad to hear the news about GMU. It's great to have the option for team workouts in nice facilities.

As for all that jinxedness--sounds like you're more than due for a charmed vacation!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    good news on your team. What were they thinking? Or do they? Have a good vacation? It seems like you need with your drama plagued summers.

Maybe we won't see the legendary Katie Hoff sour puss at Nationals like we saw up and down Beijing.
    I'm just hoping to turn over a new leaf in August!

I really hope Katie Hoff turns it around.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I can't imagine any scenario, short of some sort of apocalyptic event, that would require a wetsuit in the ocean here. The water temp is currently 86.9 degrees.
    86.9?! That's barely swimmable with a regular suit. Ah well, I'll just swim nekked. Please no jellyfish though.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I'm glad to hear the news about GMU. It's great to have the option for team workouts in nice facilities.

As for all that jinxedness--sounds like you're more than due for a charmed vacation!
    Thanks!

I'm hoping for the charmed effect as well. But I am refraining from checking any weather or jelly fish reports at the moment.

And today started off great!