View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1

Rate this Entry
Made it to the beach after a hectic day yesterday. It's rather cloudy today, but no matter -- the salt water, the sand, the ocean air ... aaaahhhh.

I did my favorite ocean workout -- swimming from pier to pier and then running back on the beach. Pier to pier is 1.7 miles, and I definitely went more than that as the waves were choppy, the current was strong and, well, I can't swim straight. I used my gold metallic B70 OW goggles, which I love. I swam about 2/3 free and 1/3 breast. I like doing breast in the ocean because I can see where I'm going! To my dismay, Mr. Fort took my MF out of the car (which did only have a dead battery) when he was packing up, so I can't play with it in the ocean.

And I'm done with SL swimming! Our Divisional Champs were yesterday. Mini Fort did surprisingly well. She's been on the Jazz Hands program (swim 1x a week and hit the gym 2-3x per week). She dropped 1.5 seconds off her 50 fly time. More anecdotal proof that actual swim workouts are not necessarily needed for 50 sprints.

NYT Article on Amanda Beard:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/sp...20Beard&st=cse

Was checking on the B2B website. It mentions that swim booties and neoprene caps are allowed. What on earth are "swim booties"?

Submit "Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1" to Digg Submit "Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1" to Google

Updated August 1st, 2010 at 06:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I bought "Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor" for each car after my alternator went out and then the week later Brook's battery was flat.

Mini's training program is so tempting, but her times may have something to do with her finishing up her physical development. Same with Jazz
    More anecdotal proof that actual swim workouts are not necessarily needed for 50 sprints.

I will test this theory this coming weekend when I swim my only LCM meet of the year. P90X or time in the water - you make the call.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I bought "Equus 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor" for each car after my alternator went out and then the week later Brook's battery was flat.

Mini's training program is so tempting, but her times may have something to do with her finishing up her physical development. Same with Jazz
    Nope, she hasn't changed an iota in physical development. She was an early maturer. She's probably just slightly stronger and, for once, she took my friendly advice and only breathed twice on her 50 fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimRude
    More anecdotal proof that actual swim workouts are not necessarily needed for 50 sprints.

I will test this theory this coming weekend when I swim my only LCM meet of the year. P90X or time in the water - you make the call.
    But you've still been swimming somewhat regularly, right?

Are you only swimming 50s, not the 100 breast too?

I'm doing the reverse: no drylands or weights much at all this summer and not on vacation and then I'll attempt the four 50s at our LCM meet. I'm expecting to be slow as molasses.
    Hey Fort,

Made it to the ocean too. Me and the kids boogie boarded then I took a swim. I swim OW in the sound all the time, but I have to admit I felt spooked in the ocean....being shark week and all. They have spotted White sharks as far up as Mass.

I've been on the forums since 2005, yet I have no idea how to embed the author of a quote insde the quote like everyone else does.

How's it done?
    I've been on the forums since 2005, yet I have no idea how to embed the author of a quote insde the quote like everyone else does.
    How's it done?
    Click here:

Or even here baby and then fill the text in between the QUOTE!

I love the blogs... easily all sides of a story can be offered here.
    Thanks for looking out for the swimmers. This is what masters swimming is all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Hey Fort,

Made it to the ocean too. Me and the kids boogie boarded then I took a swim. I swim OW in the sound all the time, but I have to admit I felt spooked in the ocean....being shark week and all. They have spotted White sharks as far up as Mass.

How's it done?
    What beach are you at?

Now, you've spooked me with mention of shark week ...

I myself have never multi-quoted ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn

I love the blogs... easily all sides of a story can be offered here.
    Thanks for looking out for the swimmers. This is what masters swimming is all about.
    Me too! The blogs are easily the best part of the forum. Especially at the moment ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The blogs are easily the best part of the forum. Especially at the moment ...

Amen.
    Glad you are at the beach. Relax, enjoy and have fun swimming. I'll be there cheering for you at Zones.
    Cloudiness and swimming straight aside, sounds like a good swim.

Interesting article on Amanda Beard, but I am a bit puzzled if she's trying to make another elite level comeback ala Dara or just settling into (dare I say it?) a more mellow (??) Masters approach to swimming.
    Swim all the time in Long Island Sound but when I go to Fire Island I get a wierd feeling that I am sharing the water with big fish.

I mean how do you get that
    "Originally Posted by RTodd" thing in the quote?
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    Swim all the time in Long Island Sound but when I go to Fire Island I get a wierd feeling that I am sharing the water with big fish.

I mean how do you get that
    "Originally Posted by RTodd" thing in the quote?
    You just click on the little quote icon in the bottom right corner. It's the one on the left.

Big fish does = weird feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimshark
    Glad you are at the beach. Relax, enjoy and have fun swimming. I'll be there cheering for you at Zones.
    Thanks! How come you're not swimming at that meet again?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Cloudiness and swimming straight aside, sounds like a good swim.

Interesting article on Amanda Beard, but I am a bit puzzled if she's trying to make another elite level comeback ala Dara or just settling into (dare I say it?) a more mellow (??) Masters approach to swimming.
    It was a good swim. In fact, I think I'm going to do more OW swims than trips to the Y.

Well, if she's swimming at Nationals, it must be an elite level comeback? I hadn't even realized she was still training. And I definitely had no idea about the self-destructive behavior issues.
    Hey, enjoy the blog.
    I believe that swim booties are neoprene booties (also often called swim socks) like this one:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDet...9&Click=310393

or this one:

http://www.blueseventy.com/store/us/...1&cat=3&page=2

Since ocean water in Maine is considered warm at 60, I've seen a few people wearing them, though I've never actually worn them myself.
    I get a wierd feeling that I am sharing the water with big fish.
    I paddled over some pretty big blue fish this past weekend. Worst yet, it's Shark week on the Discovery Channel.
    I always get unnerved when the line up is small and we're way out on the outside break.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs
    Hey, enjoy the blog.
    I believe that swim booties are neoprene booties (also often called swim socks) like this one:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDet...9&Click=310393

or this one:

http://www.blueseventy.com/store/us/...1&cat=3&page=2

Since ocean water in Maine is considered warm at 60, I've seen a few people wearing them, though I've never actually worn them myself.
    Thanks jbs! I may invest in a pair since the triathlon relay I'm doing is in November. I suspect the water will be colder by then.

I spent my summers as a kid in NH and ME, so I'm well acquainted with the water temps there.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    I paddled over some pretty big blue fish this past weekend. Worst yet, it's Shark week on the Discovery Channel.
    I always get unnerved when the line up is small and we're way out on the outside break.
    I'm not adventurous enough to swim too far out, even though I know it would easier and less choppy.

Mr. Fort turned on the Discovery Channel and watched a piece on great whites with 4 under 12 girls in the room. I had to grab the remote.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks jbs! I may invest in a pair since the triathlon relay I'm doing is in November. I suspect the water will be colder by then.

I spent my summers as a kid in NH and ME, so I'm well acquainted with the water temps there.
    If you're concerned about the cold and going to buy something in addition to a wetsuit, I'd vote for the hoodie over the booties. I got a hoodie this year after reading the article in the USMS magazine about surfer's ear. It makes a remarkable difference.

On the other hand, after the first shock of stepping in, I really don't notice (maybe can't feel) my feet much anymore. I'm not sure how much value the booties would add unless you were going to be running over mussel beds or the like.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast