View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1

Rate this Entry
Made it to the beach after a hectic day yesterday. It's rather cloudy today, but no matter -- the salt water, the sand, the ocean air ... aaaahhhh.

I did my favorite ocean workout -- swimming from pier to pier and then running back on the beach. Pier to pier is 1.7 miles, and I definitely went more than that as the waves were choppy, the current was strong and, well, I can't swim straight. I used my gold metallic B70 OW goggles, which I love. I swam about 2/3 free and 1/3 breast. I like doing breast in the ocean because I can see where I'm going! To my dismay, Mr. Fort took my MF out of the car (which did only have a dead battery) when he was packing up, so I can't play with it in the ocean.

And I'm done with SL swimming! Our Divisional Champs were yesterday. Mini Fort did surprisingly well. She's been on the Jazz Hands program (swim 1x a week and hit the gym 2-3x per week). She dropped 1.5 seconds off her 50 fly time. More anecdotal proof that actual swim workouts are not necessarily needed for 50 sprints.

NYT Article on Amanda Beard:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/sp...20Beard&st=cse

Was checking on the B2B website. It mentions that swim booties and neoprene caps are allowed. What on earth are "swim booties"?

Submit "Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1" to Digg Submit "Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1" to Google

Updated August 1st, 2010 at 07:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs
    If you're concerned about the cold and going to buy something in addition to a wetsuit, I'd vote for the hoodie over the booties. I got a hoodie this year after reading the article in the USMS magazine about surfer's ear. It makes a remarkable difference.

On the other hand, after the first shock of stepping in, I really don't notice (maybe can't feel) my feet much anymore. I'm not sure how much value the booties would add unless you were going to be running over mussel beds or the like.
    Does B70 make the neoprene hoodie? I'll have to check.

I need to do some more investigation about the exact temps at that time. I just thought it was interesting that the race website explicitly said they were allowed and that wetsuits were "required."
    We have been testing fins for the next issue of Swimmer magazine. Along with the fins, Speedo sent us some of their "Neo Socks", as shown here:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3630.htm

If you're in between fin sizes, these things are awesome. Much better than wearing regular socks, as I've seen some people do.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Does B70 make the neoprene hoodie? I'll have to check.

I need to do some more investigation about the exact temps at that time. I just thought it was interesting that the race website explicitly said they were allowed and that wetsuits were "required."
    B70 does. It's the one I have and really like:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/13870.htm

As for water temps, this site is pretty good for giving some general ideas about trends and exact measurements about current conditions:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/index.html

Not sure where your tri is, but the site will give you mean temps for each month of the year for a number of places. You may also be able to dig down and see exact temps from, say, the same days last year, but I've never tried that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk
    We have been testing fins for the next issue of Swimmer magazine. Along with the fins, Speedo sent us some of their "Neo Socks", as shown here:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3630.htm

If you're in between fin sizes, these things are awesome. Much better than wearing regular socks, as I've seen some people do.
    I can't believe you didn't have me test fins when I am the queen of fins. I'm mortally wounded.

I can't imagine wearing regular socks ...
    B70 does. It's the one I have and really like:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/13870.htm

As for water temps, this site is pretty good for giving some general ideas about trends and exact measurements about current conditions:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/index.html

Not sure where your tri is, but the site will give you mean temps for each month of the year for a number of places. You may also be able to dig down and see exact temps from, say, the same days last year, but I've never tried that.
    Thanks for the links! I will take a look at that hoodie. Seems like it might be awkward having the required competition cap over it.
    Thanks for the links! I will take a look at that hoodie. Seems like it might be awkward having the required competition cap over it.
    I know it looks like that, but based on my own experience and what I've seen, it works fine. I used it in a race two weekends ago--the race cap was easy to put on and stayed on fine. Actually it stayed on better than without the hoodie, but since I have no hair .... And that was with my goggle strap under the hoodie (to keep them from getting knocked off). Several friends did the same thing with no problem.

And in the early part of the season, one of my friends puts on the hoodie, then two swim caps to stay warm. They stay on her head with no problems.
    You just click on the little quote icon in the bottom right corner. It's the one on the left.
    What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Help?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by rtodd
    What?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Help?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    On the bottom right of the screen, there are 3 icons. The one on the left is the one you want. It looks like a little quote bubble from a cartoon strip.
    I know it looks like that, but based on my own experience and what I've seen, it works fine. I used it in a race two weekends ago--the race cap was easy to put on and stayed on fine. Actually it stayed on better than without the hoodie, but since I have no hair .... And that was with my goggle strap under the hoodie (to keep them from getting knocked off). Several friends did the same thing with no problem.

And in the early part of the season, one of my friends puts on the hoodie, then two swim caps to stay warm. They stay on her head with no problems.
    That makes sense. I often wear two caps when swimming with my goggles under. It would definitely be a huge bummer to have your goggles knocked off, especially with contacts.
    I can't believe you didn't have me test fins when I am the queen of fins. I'm mortally wounded.
    Well, you could if you were here! No exaggeration, I'll bet we had 50 pairs of test fins on the pool deck tonight.
    Well, you could if you were here! No exaggeration, I'll bet we had 50 pairs of test fins on the pool deck tonight.
    I'm sooo jealous!

Did you do monofins as well? Breaststroke fins?
    Did you do monofins as well? Breaststroke fins?
    No monofins. Just two categories - short fins and long fins.

I got to try those Speedo breaststroke fins once. We had a visitor at one of our practices who had a pair and she let me try them. They were AWESOME. I should probably buy a pair.
    No monofins. Just two categories - short fins and long fins.

I got to try those Speedo breaststroke fins once. We had a visitor at one of our practices who had a pair and she let me try them. They were AWESOME. I should probably buy a pair.
    My daughter has a pair and I think I should steal them and try them. I have heard from others that they are awesome as well.

Short fins?! Blech.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12