View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tues & Wed, Aug 3-4

Rate this Entry
Tuesday:

Did my usual "1.7" mile pier to pier swim followed by a pier to pier run. The water was extremely choppy yesterday. The swim felt almost like a weight workout. After that, I decided to give OW swims a break for a bit. (Of course, this morning the ocean is relatively calm.) At one point, I saw one of the lifeguards dash into the water to get some kids away from a rip tide.

Later in the day, went on a 3 mile walk with the 4 little kids to get ice cream and later attempted to surf with the 4 teenage girls in the house. Epic fail. Felt like a clod.

Wednesday:

Having resolved to skip an OW swim today, I ventured out for a pier to pier to pier run of 3.5129 miles. I wore my running shoes b/c it was not a super low tide. It was way too hot. If I had a brain in my head, I would've run barefoot and in my swimsuit so that I could have taken a dip half way through.

I may go the Y later today, if I feel like it. Mr. Fort and I are going to a tri store later today as well. I'm hoping they have suits. I just killed one of my speedo endurance suits after 2+ years. The elastic just gave out. Mr. Fort has become a complete bike addict. Yesterday, he went 75 miles up to speeds of 28 mph, getting used to his new aero bars. Today, he was doing intervals.

Off to make a smoothie ...

Edit: Didn't make it to the Y; didn't feel like it. Did a short swim in the ocean instead. It was quite rough this afternoon. Tried swimming against the current for the heck of it. No thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38815_420096306434_603946434_4519249_4457448_n.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	6460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40689_419969646434_603946434_4516274_6169668_n.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	6461  

Submit "Tues & Wed, Aug 3-4" to Digg Submit "Tues & Wed, Aug 3-4" to del.icio.us Submit "Tues & Wed, Aug 3-4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues & Wed, Aug 3-4" to Google

Updated August 4th, 2010 at 05:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

I guess you just powered through the rip tide? Do you get nervous swimming solo in the ocean? I did some solo swimming a couple of years ago off Mission Beach near San Diego and it was always eerie to me. Even though it was the same ocean and just a few miles south of the La Jolla cove, I just couldn't get the Jaws soundtrack out of my mind. I did a warmup swim the next day in the cove, probably much longer and still solo, but there were so many other people out doing the same thing that it felt safer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I guess you just powered through the rip tide? Do you get nervous swimming solo in the ocean? I did some solo swimming a couple of years ago off Mission Beach near San Diego and it was always eerie to me. Even though it was the same ocean and just a few miles south of the La Jolla cove, I just couldn't get the Jaws soundtrack out of my mind. I did a warmup swim the next day in the cove, probably much longer and still solo, but there were so many other people out doing the same thing that it felt safer.
    The rip tide incident was after I swam, but the ocean is pretty choppy with white caps.

I am a bit leery about swimming solo. Thus, don't go out very far, and periodically get clobbered by a wave.
    It's tough to swim in the ocean unless you get a really flat day. And yes the solo swimming is really eerie as well. Just don't go too early or too late in the day. Safety in numbers!

Sorry, I've probably watched one too many episodes of Shark Week since it started on Sunday.

Great pics.
    Nice pics. I totally forgot that I have to read your blog posts twice because most of the time there is a late addition.

I am thinking about the Maui Channel and or the Rough Water next year, but dealing with waves is SO much work. Maybe I will watch
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    It's tough to swim in the ocean unless you get a really flat day. And yes the solo swimming is really eerie as well. Just don't go too early or too late in the day. Safety in numbers!

Sorry, I've probably watched one too many episodes of Shark Week since it started on Sunday.

Great pics.
    Definitely not too early or too late. It is much flatter in the morning, but I am sleeping in. And I've already heard a story about a tri who was eaten by a shark while taking an evening solo swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Nice pics. I totally forgot that I have to read your blog posts twice because most of the time there is a late addition.

I am thinking about the Maui Channel and or the Rough Water next year, but dealing with waves is SO much work. Maybe I will watch
    Dealing with waves is, in fact, way too much work. I'm hoping that it makes my pool swim tomorrow seem relatively easier.
    Last year I was in Florida (Cocoa Beach) for work. It was April or May, so too early in the season for the outdoor municipal pool to have decent lap swimming hours. I think it closed at 4pm, so I couldn't get there after work and my only choice was to swim in the ocean. So every night after work, right about sunset, I did my workout in the ocean. At work every day people kept talking about all the shark attacks at sunrise and sunset and there was even a Discovery Channel series running that week about them. So while I swam I kept reminding myself to be ready to punch the nose if i had to! Ultimately I decided my workout was far more important than losing a limb
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    Last year I was in Florida (Cocoa Beach) for work. It was April or May, so too early in the season for the outdoor municipal pool to have decent lap swimming hours. I think it closed at 4pm, so I couldn't get there after work and my only choice was to swim in the ocean. So every night after work, right about sunset, I did my workout in the ocean. At work every day people kept talking about all the shark attacks at sunrise and sunset and there was even a Discovery Channel series running that week about them. So while I swam I kept reminding myself to be ready to punch the nose if i had to! Ultimately I decided my workout was far more important than losing a limb
    OMG! That's dedication. I think there are more shark sightings in FL than NC. But, still, I think I'll stick to mid day hours with lifeguards present. Yesterday, it was pretty rough and they had jet skis parked at various spots on the beach.

Good luck in PR!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3JJuXDyhc"]YouTube- ‪Ryan Lochte Training‬‎[/nomedia]

Here is the link for Lochte's dryland routine.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    YouTube- ‪Ryan Lochte Training‬‎

Thx, Tom!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    YouTube- ‪Ryan Lochte Training‬‎

That keg was full when he started.
    That keg was full when he started.
    It makes me want to take a hammer and pound a tire. I liked that one.
    I liked the bent-over rows- I have a hard time not leaning back when doing the rows on the machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    I liked the bent-over rows- I have a hard time not leaning back when doing the rows on the machine.
    Agree. I like the bent over rows and the reverse "push ups" or bench presses lying on your back. I might do some of those with a 25 lb plate.
    Updated August 6th, 2010 at 01:50 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It makes me want to take a hammer and pound a tire. I liked that one.
    Was that a euphemism?
    Was that a euphemism?
    Nope, no doublespeak on this one really. It just sounds like it would appeal from time to time.