View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Return to the Pool, Thursday, Aug. 5

Rate this Entry
I reluctantly dragged myself away from the beach today to venture to the Wilmington YMCA.

Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

600 various

Transition Sets:

8 x (25 shooter + 25 front scull)

8 x 50 breast drill (regular breast pull and alternating dolphin kick and breast kick) @ 1:05

10 x 50 kick-swim w/fins @ :50
odds = back kick
evens = back swim

My backstroke felt inexplicably great and very smooth. This seemed odd since I've done so little of it lately.

50 EZ
(1950)

Speed Work:

6 x through:

1 x 25 easy speed fly
1 x 25 EZ DAB
1 x 25 AFAP free
1 x 50 EZ

5 x 50, done as 25 fast breast pull w/buoy + 25 EZ kick

50 EZ

3 x through:

1 x 50 fast flutter kick w/board
1 x 100 free w/paddles

100 EZ

Total: 3550

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

The Y was pretty crowded today, and I made the mistake of overlapping with the lunch Tri Group, so I had to share a lane the entire time. The Tri Group had some pretty decent swimmers. No desire to join in their workout though as the first set was 2 x 800.

It felt fabulous to be in a pool swimming after 4 days of the ocean. I tried to work on my stroke technique after getting jostled around so much in the ocean. My legs, unfortunately, did have some lingering fatigue from 4 days of running (albeit very short distances). I probably need to knock off the running as Zones is only 2+ weeks away.

I hadn't really given any thoughts to tapering. Right now I seem to have some raw speed and some endurance, but not much speed endurance. I guess I'll try to get in some speed work this weekend and next week and then just be lazy when I return from the beach. I've already dropped drylands obviously. I really have no idea what to expect at Zones. I don't feel like I can really compare my times to last year's Indy times b/c my training has been so different. Between that and the suit change, my times could be quite a bit slower. C'est la vie. It'll actually be nice to have a low pressure meet and hang out with friends.

Tom left me a great link to Ryan Lochte's drylands:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3JJuXDyhc"]YouTube- ‪Ryan Lochte Training‬‎[/nomedia]

After that non-rigorous workout, I sat on the beach for several hours. I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, which is a page turner. I like this volume better than the second volume.

Now, it's margarita time!

Submit "Return to the Pool, Thursday, Aug. 5" to Digg Submit "Return to the Pool, Thursday, Aug. 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Return to the Pool, Thursday, Aug. 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Return to the Pool, Thursday, Aug. 5" to Google

Updated August 9th, 2010 at 09:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Yeah for margarita time!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Fort I think you should quit swimming in the ocean. They had a surfer on the news this morning who was bitten by a shark in Gainsville, Fla. He was about 100 yds. out and doing what he always normally does. He ended up with 400 (?) stitches in his foot and ankle.
    Be safe friend!! Have fun too
    Yikes!! Stay away from sharks. Clearly the better option is to sit on the beach with a good book and a margarita.
    Bravo for making it to a pool, and the pier swimming as well for that matter! I couldn't do a lick of swimming while on vacation, even with the temptation to meet up with quick. I'm paying for it now, though- great effort!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Yeah for margarita time!!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Fort I think you should quit swimming in the ocean. They had a surfer on the news this morning who was bitten by a shark in Gainsville, Fla. He was about 100 yds. out and doing what he always normally does. He ended up with 400 (?) stitches in his foot and ankle.
    Be safe friend!! Have fun too
    Ew. Really? I haven't heard about any sightings in NC though ... I'm really not out very deep. I just googled and did find this: http://www.easydestination.net/blog/...php?itemid=852. Creepy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Woman
    Yikes!! Stay away from sharks. Clearly the better option is to sit on the beach with a good book and a margarita.
    Yes, that's always an excellent option.

But I need a little swimming with a meet around the corner. Just a bit anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Bravo for making it to a pool, and the pier swimming as well for that matter! I couldn't do a lick of swimming while on vacation, even with the temptation to meet up with quick. I'm paying for it now, though- great effort!
    Well, you probably needed a mental/physical break. I had 2 weeks off after Nats and 2 weeks off during my cruise vaca. So I've had a good swimming break. And, frankly, after Nats, I needed it. I find the first thing that goes for me in terms of vaca motivation is drylands. No desire to sit and do push ups and squats ... But, then, I'm tapering.

You'll be back in shape soon enough. The Sprint Classic isn't forever.